• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces new Shin Megami Tensei for Switch (Unreal 4)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
HYPE

Unreal why

Because making a new engine takes work and isn't worth the effort now a days. Atlus needs middleware more than middleware needs Atlus.

Besides which, this means
a possible PC port if Atlus is smart and uses said Unreal Engine to port it ERRYWHERE
, but I'm dubious about that because Atlus still hasn't learned to be smart. :/

Alucrid

Banned
the only game i'd care to play on the switch. not enough to buy it though. probably still 3 years away at any rate.

Jb

We got some great games on DS and 3DS but I'm weirdly relieved we can go back to 3D SMT games. Maybe UE4 will mean faster dev cycle?

Lynx_7

Because making a new engine takes work and isn't worth the effort now a days. Atlus needs middleware more than middleware needs Atlus.

Besides which, this means
a possible PC port if Atlus is smart and uses said Unreal Engine to port it ERRYWHERE
, but I'm dubious about that because Atlus still hasn't learned to be smart. :/
They already have P5's inhouse engine though so I wonder why they decided to go for UE4 instead.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Showing Odin so prominently in the end of that trail makes me think it's gonna be related to SMT4A or that universe in general, lol
It's either that or it's Atlus showing off a shiny new model for a prominent demon from their latest SMT game. I kind of hope it's the latter.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They already have P5's i.house engine though so I wonder why they decided to go for UE4 instead.

Because the trend for Japanese devs is catching up with Western development houses on the Middleware train.

Square-Enidos has Crystal Tools or whatever for FF15. They dropped that for Unreal Engine 4 as well. Why? Because 1) too much bullshit effort in creating the engine (see: Crystal Tools for FF13 having issues) 2) Middleware license will be significantly cheaper and 3) porting to various platforms will be much easier on them since Middleware is generally built to BE on as many platforms as possible.

It's a slam-dunk investment choice for developers. The age of in-house engines has been over for a lonnnnnng time.

Not optimized to run on Switch?

That, too. It requires MASSIVE work to make an in-house engine run on various platforms when someone is already doing that work for you on Middleware engines.

kurahador

The great news here is that they finally make use of UE4. So future HD SMT games will be possible one they done rendering all the demons in glorious UE4.

Big0Bear

So they announced it for switch but does that mean exclusive? I ask because the last smt I played was ps2 and this gen loves "timed" exclusives

They already have P5's inhouse engine though so I wonder why they decided to go for UE4 instead.

Not optimized to run on Switch?

This has me hyped but it's so early in development that it isn't going to sell me a console in 2 months. So I'm excited that I can get this after a price drop. WHoo!

FluxWaveZ

Really hope this isn't connected to the SMT IV story. Not that I disliked it, and I don't think it'd share SMT IV Apocalypse's overall tone, but a clean break would be nice. Would have been neat if it could have outright been named SMT V here.

Despite not using Persona 5's engine, those are almost certainly that game's demon models.

Bardiche

Xenoblade 2 and new SMT are system sellers for me so Day 1 for the Switch! No other current jrpg series compare to these two.

Can't wait for this.

I hope we learn more soon. I went nuts when I saw those demons on screen.

Showing Odin so prominently in the end of that trail makes me think it's gonna be related to SMT4A or that universe in general, lol

Didn't Yamai say that the "Final" title was to represent that it was the Final SMT IV story.

Could be SMT V, but with some shared concepts from IV, though.

Semajer

Was thrilled to see SMT, but it's a pity it's so far off. I also assumed all HD Atlus titles would be using the Persona 5 engine, but I guess not. I hope we get some HD ports of PS2-era games to help with the wait.

FluxWaveZ

Pretty exciting but it's very early into development. No way we are seeing it not even in 2018.

They say "just entered development," but I have to imagine that means active dev., because Yamai's been hinting at this for a long while now.

Atlus has other "projects" planned for SMT this year, too. We'll see what those are...

Hylian7

Why do people think this will be in the SMTIV universe? Just because of Odin?

This is super early and I really doubt it will be SMTIV universe, it just wouldn't make much sense to be at this point.

The most exciting part of the presentation for me. Finally a proper home SMT again.

The fact that they just started development though, means...2018? 2019?

And why UE4 after they spent all that time building their own engine? Or did they just use UE4 for the trailer because it already supported Switch?

Top Bottom