• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces new Shin Megami Tensei for Switch (Unreal 4)

Blobbers

The vibes I got were that it was a SMT IV + SMT IV: A Remake because of the Odin focus and the music, but it's probably SMT V only set in the same universe

Seeing all the SMT demons in 3D again made me weirdly excited for some reason.

I wasn't clear if this was actually SMTV or just an SMT spin-off from the trailer - either way, I'm in though.

FluxWaveZ

And why UE4 after they spent all that time building their own engine? Or did they just use UE4 for the trailer because it already supported Switch?

I think the Persona 5 engine is custom designed to handle the Persona framework, with all that entails (Co-op system, calendar/weather system, etc.). Might have just been easier to use UE4 for a game with a very different structure, based on that.

Caelestis

That trailer got me some SMT1 vibes. I wonder if it would be a remake or re-imagining of that. Then again original Tokyo Mirage looked nothing like what was first hinted...

Shouta

Can't wait for this.

I hope we learn more soon. I went nuts when I saw those demons on screen.

Didn't Yamai say that the "Final" title was to represent that it was the Final SMT IV story.

Could be SMT V, but with some shared concepts from IV, though.

I don't know maybe. SMT1 -> SMT2 were the same universe as Aeana pointed out to me but SMT3 and SMT4 were different ones with SMT4A being the continuation of IV. Using that same Odin design specific to SMTIV makes me think it's related to IV

Why do people think this will be in the SMTIV universe? Just because of Odin?

This is super early and I really doubt it will be SMTIV universe, it just wouldn't make much sense to be at this point.

That Odin design is specific to SMTIV as I recall. The other ones and even Persona, use a different design.

cj_iwakura

I don't know maybe. SMT1 -> SMT2 were the same universe as Aeana pointed out to me but SMT3 and SMT4 were different ones with SMT4A being the continuation of IV. Using that same Odin design specific to SMTIV makes me think it's related to IV

That Odin design is specific to SMTIV as I recall. The other ones and even Persona, use a different design.

Yep, he got redesigned for Apocalypse.

This was the highlight of the show for me until Zelda showed up as a launch title, but definitely a standout and easily the biggest new game reveal of the presentation despite how good Xenoblade 2 looked. Some really good games coming.

EVOL 100%

Well, I'd be much more excited for the Switch if this was a launch title.

I can't wait for when this gets re-revealed in three years as an idol simulator and a bunch of posters tell me I'm crazy for thinking this trailer would set the tone for the actual game.

So I take it this is that FE X SMT collab ended up being? Goddamnit Atlus

Sold me on a Switch right here.

A little off-topic, but what are some essential SMT games? I've beaten SMTIV and am currently playing through SMTIV:A. Also have Nocturne on my PS3.

Requeim

A little off-topic, but what are some essential SMT games? I've beaten SMTIV and am currently playing through SMTIV:A. Also have Nocturne on my PS3.

Literally all of them since Nocturne. Every single one, including spin-offs.

ranmafan

This and fire emblem musou were my favorite parts of the conference. Of course the sad thing is both were just announcements and all and we will probably be waiting a while for them, but when they do get here I'll certainly be getting a switch then

I don't think it is SMTV, considering that the anniversary is this year and this game falls under that umbrella. But damn if I didn't get hyped – I just recently started the series with my playthrough of Nocturne, and I can't wait to see what this comes to be.

Please throw away that Lucifer design from SMTIV, though.

Opa-Pa

The Odin thing may just be Atlus bragging about their coolest recent redesign and nothing too important too. Note that Thor has his PS2 era look despite having dropped it for every post P4 Megaten.

I wouldn't mind another game in the same universe while not being a sequel, but the tone of the trailer doesn't resemble Apocalypse at all.

Requeim

I also don't think it's SMT5, because why wouldn't they just announce it as such if it was?

Probably a spin-off or remake (anniversary project and all that)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The most exciting part of the presentation for me. Finally a proper home SMT again.

The fact that they just started development though, means...2018? 2019?

And why UE4 after they spent all that time building their own engine? Or did they just use UE4 for the trailer because it already supported Switch?
They wouldn't list UE4 if it wasn't for the final game.

They either feel it does a better job supporting the Switch, or is a more efficient engine to develop games in.

Narroo

I don't think they ever figured out that the 'darkened demons with glowing eyes' isn't menacing in the slightest. The bulk of the demon designs are too cartoony or odd for that too work; I don't care how darkened Jack Frost and Pixie are.

Shouta

The Odin thing may just be Atlus bragging about their coolest recent redesign and nothing too important too. Note that Thor has his PS2 era look despite having dropped it for every post P4 Megaten.

I wouldn't mind another game in the same universe while not being a sequel, but the tone of the trailer doesn't resemble Apocalypse at all.

Which is why I was thinking prequel, lol.

The only other thought I have if it wasn't a prequel would be it turning out to be SMT4+Apocalypse remake that combines both games using HD assets, lol. That won't happen though.

Strange Journey is the most obvious one since you have the other mainline games. SMT1 is available in English on iOS too.

For spin-offs, check out Digital Devil Saga, Raidou 2, and Soul Hackers. And the Persona games if you've missed them.

Jb

I also don't think it's SMT5, because why wouldn't they just announce it as such if it was?

Probably a spin-off or remake (anniversary project and all that)

Isn't the SMT name only used for mainline entries in Japan? I thought Atlus US is the one who decide to add SMT to spin-offs like Raidou for brand recognition.

Was so hyped seeing this trailer and the fact they're using UE4 was a nice surprise. Hopefully production on the game won't be too bad since there's a good amount of support and documentation available for UE4.

Will pick this up when I get a Switch.

Opa-Pa

Isn't SMT used in Japan only for mainline entries? I thought Atlus US is the one who decide to add SMT to spin-offs like Raidou for brand recognition.

Strange Journey is technically a "mainline SMT spinoff" AKA SMT that's not set in Tokyo, so I guess it's fair.

PK Gaming

Odin's SMT: Apocalypse design was so good they were like

"He needs to be in another game"

latest

Hell yes

CSX

There a nice direct high quality upload of the teaser yet? I know it basically says nothing about the game but still...

Top Bottom