• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces new Shin Megami Tensei for Switch (Unreal 4)

Thoraxes

I'm hyped as fuck for whatever this and the 3DS titles end up being. Will definitely get the HD game on Switch for the portability. Also just give me a SMT complete series collection with all games on the SMT IV engine or something bonkers like that. I'll buy whatever it is.
AllShinyGallinule.gif

Rose petals?

Odin?

Lightning confirmed.

ffxiii_lightning_odin80uup.png

NEO0MJ

I just noticed Mara hiding but because he doesn't have glowing eyes it's possible to miss him when first watching the trailer.

Veal

Did anyone else get a Meowth's Party (original Spaceworld GCN reveal) vibe from this trailer? Maybe it was seeing Jack rendered like that?

salromano

We don't know for sure, and there's perhaps more precedence given that SMT(V?) will be in Unreal 4 but it probably is exclusive.

It doesn't seem likely to me. Just going by:

- Anniversary site lists "3DS Project" and "HD Project" - rather than "Switch Project"
- The trailer itself doesn't mention Switch (or any platform)
- The trailer's YouTube description doesn't mention Switch (or any platform)
- The anniversary site doesn't mention any platform

I'm guessing this will be Switch/PS4. I wish Atlus would be more transparent about it, but I guess maybe they don't want to undercut Switch's reveal by saying it's multiplatform right away. (If it is, that is.)

If only this was coming out sooner. Won't be buying the switch until a few big games come. Hope it's a traditional smt game at the minimum but will be fine either way they go. Surprised Odin got so much spotlight.

Pennywise

It doesn't seem likely to me. Just going by:

- Anniversary site lists "3DS Project" and "HD Project" - rather than "Switch Project"
- The trailer itself doesn't mention Switch (or any platform)
- The trailer's YouTube description doesn't mention Switch (or any platform)
- The anniversary site doesn't mention any platform

I'm guessing this will be Switch/PS4.
I wish Atlus would be more transparent about it, but I guess maybe they don't want to undercut Switch's reveal by saying it's multiplatform right away. (If it is, that is.)
I hope so.

Atlus US isn't saying yet whether the game will be localized for the west. That said I don't remember a SMT game being simultaneously announced for both markets, so this probably doesn't mean much.
Aye, just sounds like the standard phrases because the game is still at least a year off.

The last Atlus developed game that didn't come out in the West is Persona 2 EP. I won't worry about it.

Unless you're in Europe.

Luckily we're all region free now, except for the 3DS.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Gonna guess this is multiplatform between Switch and PS4, while 3DS gets the other SMT game they are working on.

I guess UE4 is just easier to handle and port between units than trying to utilize their P5 engine?

Still, kinda sad they made a whole engine just for one game in P5

Rutger

Banned
The trailer taking inspiration from the best part of Nocturne, its title screen, is pretty cool.
Hopefully it ends there, I want something fresh. The presence of sunlight gives me hope, that isn't really very common in the mainline SMT games I've played.

True Fire

What do you think the 3DS project is? I'm thinking it's a Strange Journey tier game using the Etrian Odyssey engine, but it might also be a I+II remake?

Mediking

Freaking teased this (sorta) in the Persona thread..... well..... I suspected this would happen at the Switch reveal and I was so right.

Day one on Switch of course.

Setsu00

I was hoping we were done with SMT4's tokusatsu aesthetic, but at least Odin's new look works well alongside the established Kaneko compendium in 3D.

I do wonder what's up with the rose petals, though. The first thing that came to my mind was Lightning due to her Odin summon and I'm kinda sure that's not what they wanted to express with that.

gngf123

Welp, I have been told things from a source and he is usually right.
Take with a grain of salt:
-This proyect started as a PS4 game some years ago.
-Now is PS4/Switch.
-Nintendo and Atlus have been in talks of a timed exclusivity deal.
I really trust this guy so thats why I post this.

Receipts.

EDarkness

Welp, I have been told things from a source and he is usually right.
Take with a grain of salt:
-This proyect started as a PS4 game some years ago.
-Now is PS4/Switch.
-Nintendo and Atlus have been in talks of a timed exclusivity deal.
I really trust this guy so thats why I post this.

Sounds good. The more the merrier. Just want to see more of the game.

asagami_

Banned
What do you think the 3DS project is? I'm thinking it's a Strange Journey tier game using the Etrian Odyssey engine, but it might also be a I+II remake?

I have dreamed this project so long. I hope it's.

Of course, if it's something a la Strange Journey I would be so happy too. But I expect the 3D game inherits the design philosophy from SJ.

Top Bottom