• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge Review Thread

I just cannot condone this mass acceptance of knockoffs and clones. From Monster Hunter to Dark Souls. This trend of acceptance and praise for games that just rip off the ideas of others saddens me.

I think its cancer on the games industry, because people are more interest in seeing the same thing that they saw over there now than they are in seeing new and original concepts. Guess this is the state of gaming in this age.

Oh please.

I just cannot condone this mass acceptance of knockoffs and clones. From Monster Hunter to Dark Souls. This trend of acceptance and praise for games that just rip off the ideas of others saddens me.

I think its cancer on the games industry, because people are more interest in seeing the same thing that they saw over there now than they are in seeing new and original concepts. Guess this is the state of gaming in this age.

Are you a fan of Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark? Because those are knockoffs and clones too.

They are the cancer of the film industry, indeed.

For those who don't know, Star Wars is a mashup of a samurai film called The Hidden Fortress and Flash Gordon, and Indiana Jones is literally Allan Quartermain.

Mzo

Every game ever can't be a breakout game that creates a new genre. Working and improving on existing conventions is completely different from shit like iOS ripoff clone games.

This is a legitimate good game, and especially impressive for one person. The dialogue cutscenes totally remind me of Cave Story as well, another one man exploration action game.

=]

VariantX

You may want to get out of gaming then, because that's pretty much whats been going on since the 70's.

I'm so over these "retro" inspired looking games. Why can't we get this game with updated graphics like Shadow Complex did instead of devs making shitty old school looking games and claiming they were going for the retro look instead of admitting it is so much easier and less time consuming to do that than put some effort in on the graphics.

One guy vs. Epic Games.

1. You have a terrible opinion and fuck off about it being easier and less time consuming...seriously fuck off.
2. Go play Ori.

How is it not easier to make a 2D sprite based game than a 3D game.
I also would play Ori if I had an Xbox One because you can tell in an instant that game looks marvelous and had a lot of effort put into it.

My point is these types of games would be better with more effort put into the graphics. Look at Rayman, Helldivers or Shadow Complex compared to this game, Bit Trip runner or Hotline Miami.

Gaogaogao

I'm so over these "retro" inspired looking games. Why can't we get this game with updated graphics like Shadow Complex did instead of devs making shitty old school looking games and claiming they were going for the retro look instead of admitting it is so much easier and less time consuming to do that than put some effort in on the graphics.

im so over these opinions and the people who feel the need to share them, even though they don't know what they are talking about.

the developer (you know, that one guy making the game) specifically said it was easier to make a 2d game because he was doing it all himself. and I do believe it looks better for it, once you see the rest of the mechanics of the game.

gcubed

i'm not convinced this is real, it simply can't be

kevin1025

Banned
I'm all for differing opinions, but why come in here and dismiss a game you haven't played and have no interest in? To create conflict? If you aren't interested, I understand, we all have different tastes and we can move on from there...but I don't know, seems weird to me to actively spend time denouncing something in a thread specifically about that thing.

Haunted

I also would play Ori if I had an Xbox One because you can tell in an instant that game looks marvelous and had a lot of effort put into it.

My point is these types of games would be better with more effort put into the graphics. Look at Rayman, Helldivers or Shadow Complex compared to this game, Bit Trip runner or Hotline Miami.
That is incredibly insulting towards the work of the developer of this game.

I'm fucking out of here before I get banned, this sort of ignorant, clueless shitposting is what really gets to me.

Aeana

I'm curious, can you clarify what you mean by "from Monster Hunter to Dark Souls"? I feel this can be read several different ways. Are you claiming that Dark Souls is a clone of Monster Hunter? Or that Monster Hunter and Dark Souls are progenitors of originality and they're now being copied? Or that Monster Hunter and Dark Souls themselves are clones of something else?

Grief.exe

Ori and the Blind Forest is also available on PC.

Just a heads up, as that fact isn't always apparent in the marketing materials.

nynt9

Yet Hotline Miami is way better than Rayman, Helldivers or Shadow Complex as a game. It's almost as if graphics don't make a game better and sometimes having a certain aesthetic is a conscious stylistic choice.

One guy vs. Epic Games.

These types of games generally stiill cost me around the same price to play.

im so over these opinions and the people who feel the need to share them, even though they don't know what they are talking about.
I'm sorry that I don't have nostalgia clouding my feelings on a whole set of games. I enjoyed these types of games as a kid but I grew up and want new experiences and better graphics, not being reminded how shitty they would look if I went back to them.

Yet Hotline Miami is way better than Rayman, Helldivers or Shadow Complex as a game. It's almost as if graphics don't make a game better and sometimes having a certain aesthetic is a conscious stylistic choice.
It's also a lot of the time just so the devs could say they were going for the "retro" look when they didn't want to put the effort in or have the talent.

The aesthetic has completely won me over. It does look like an utterly alien place, almost Giger 'esque. Will definitely buy once it comes to PC.

Slurmer

Banned

Dude, please relax

Everyone's welcome to have their own taste in graphics, but please don't mistakenly think that more money & more staff = more effort. I know plenty of tiny indie teams that work harder than anybody.

hawk2025

I'm sorry that I don't have nostalgia clouding my feelings on a whole set of games. I enjoyed these types of games as a kid but I grew up and want new experiences and better graphics, not being reminded how shitty they would look if I went back to them.

See, it's fine to have a differing opinion.

But it's presumptuous and embarrassing to assume that people that don't share yours are somehow clouded by nostalgia.

Jomjom

Banned
Wow right up there with Ori. I heard on the PSBlogcast that this was made all by one person, even the music?!?! That's "embarrassed with what I've accomplished with my life so far" territory.

Gaogaogao

It's also a lot of the time just so the devs could say they were going for the "retro" look when they didn't want to put the effort in or have the talent.

the developer (you know, that one guy making the game) specifically said it was easier to make a 2d game because he was doing it all himself. and I do believe it looks better for it, once you see the rest of the mechanics of the game.

educate yourself before you opinionate yourself

kevin1025

Banned

It takes effort and talent to make retro looking games, though, Axiom Verge included. I think that's where the problem with what you're saying is coming from.

It's got nothing to do with nostaligia. Believe it or not, a lot of people find pixel art like the style found in Axiom Verge to be very nice. Not everything has to march forward in your rather narrow definition of PROGRESS.

This, too.

CLEEK

It's not a lack of effort, it's a design choice. And also driven by cost and team size.

Plus, you know, the Bit Trip series and Hotline Miami are phenomenal games, with a far better understanding of game mechanics that the vast majority of AAA games with teams or artists all working towards photorealism. Both games you mentioned were made by tiny teams, unlike Rayman and Shadow Complex. No idea about the team that made Helldivers, but its graphics are nothing special. Axiom Verge is made by one guy, who did everything. Art, code, music, the lot.

Are you a real person? If so, I'm also curious as to what you mean by MH and DS.

It's got nothing to do with nostaligia. Believe it or not, a lot of people find pixel art like the style found in Axiom Verge to be very nice. Not everything has to march forward in your rather narrow definition of technological progress.

krizzx

I'm curious, can you clarify what you mean by "from Monster Hunter to Dark Souls"? I feel this can be read several different ways. Are you claiming that Dark Souls is a clone of Monster Hunter? Or that Monster Hunter and Dark Souls are progenitors of originality and they're now being copied? Or that Monster Hunter and Dark Souls themselves are clones of something else?

Well, evertime I look up now, I'm seeing glorified clones.

For Monster Hunter, you had Lord of Arcana, God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, then there was this PS4 MH clone I saw a trailer of not to long ago that I can't directly remember the name of at the moment(i'll have to look it). Found it. Toukiden Kiwami

For Dark Souls you have Lord of Fallen, Bloodborne, Deep Down.

For GTA there was Sleeping Dogs, Watchdogs.

Then you had Citizens of Earth as a copy of Mother 2/Earthbound, and now this as a copy of Metroid. And people are just thrilled with all of this.

To me, it is simply one thing to borrow a little bit from some other medium or repurpose a few ideas here in there. I don't have a problem with that. But these games are literally banking off of the similarities to the titles they are copying. They are pretty much "insert companies" version of some others companies major success. The part that bothers me the most is that they don't really change much outside of cosmetics, names, and a few technical nuances. They are really just selling you someone else's creation under their own brand name in my my eyes.

Well, that's my opinion on it.

Also, I don't just consider anything that uses ideas from something else a clone like most are saying. That's extreme. I don't consider Call of Duty a clone of Medal of Honor, or M.A.G. a clone of Battlefield. There are a large enough amount of difference and original ideas between them.

Fjordson

But...it's one guy...who spent years of his life making this.

Not liking this style aesthetically is totally valid if that's how you feel, but insinuating laziness or a lack of talent is way off the mark.

Read my mind.

For Monster Hunter, you had Lord of Arcana, God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, then there was this PS4 MH clone I saw a trailer of not to long ago that I can't directly remember the name of at the moment(i'll have to look it).

Then you had Citizens of Earth as a copy of Mother 2/Earthbound, and now this as a copy of Metroid.

To me, it is simply one thing to borrow a little bit from some other medium or repurpose a few ideas here in there. But these games are literally banking off of the similarities to the titles they are copying. They are pretty much "insert companies" version of some others companies major success. The part that bothers me the most is that they don't really change much outside of cosmetics and a few technical nuances. They are relly just selling you someone else's creation under their own brand name in my my eyes.

Well, that's my opinion on it.

Hahahahha. Bloodborne is totally a rip-off of Dark Souls. Those bastards! The cancer of gaming!

The original Metroid is still the GOAT. Let's see if Axiom can top it

ibySNaM3KtNPcI.gif

educate yourself before you opinionate yourself

It's fantastic that the dev made the game by himself but at the end of the day I'm paying about the same price for these smaller games, so "effort" is not the deciding factor if I'm purchasing a game or not.
You can also think it looks better for it and that's your opinion, but I disagree and still maintain that if this game had the graphics of a Shadow Complex it would be way better.

You don't have to agree with me, but I have just as much right to voice the things I'm disappointed with in this game as you do in praising the great parts of it.

So indulge us, then. Go open up MS paint right now and make a mock-up of a pixel-art game since they require neither time nor talent. Since, apparently, everyone is just born with the innate grasp on color theory and visual information using just a few pixels.

We'll wait here.

For Monster Hunter, you had Lord of Arcana, God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, then there was this PS4 MH clone I saw a trailer of not to long ago that I can't directly remember the name of at the moment(i'll have to look it).

And Monster Hunter was in itself a clone of Phantasy Star Online. ;)

Bloodborne is made by the Dark Souls director. It's essentially a Dark Souls spin-off.

So now every open world game is a GTA clone?

Then you had Citizens of Earth as a copy of Mother 2/Earthbound, and now this as a copy of Metroid. And people are just thrilled with all of this.

Citizens of Earth isn't really very much like Earthbound other than a few surface similarities. Combat system is much more complex, huge cast of playable characters, it's not very funny, etc.

To me, it is simply one thing to borrow a little bit from some other medium or repurpose a few ideas here in there. I don't have a problem with that. But these games are literally banking off of the similarities to the titles they are copying. They are pretty much "insert companies" version of some others companies major success. The part that bothers me the most is that they don't really change much outside of cosmetics, names, and a few technical nuances. They are really just selling you someone else's creation under their own brand name in my my eyes.

Axiom Verge getting such rave reviews seems to indicate that it's not just banking on similarities to Metroid, but that it's doing its own thing and doing a great job of it.

EDIT: I'm not a huge fan of the 8-bit look (if you're going retro, I much prefer 16-bit style), but Shadow Complex, though technically solid, was so generic looking. We really don't need any more games that look like it.

Dude, just stop. It's clear you've never even played these games if you claim that "Bloodborne" is a clone of "Dark Souls" (here's a hint: it's the same team, same developer, same director. It's a spiritual sequel to their own game. By definition it can't be a "clone").

Can't we just enjoy good games regardless of what inspires them?! ಠ_ಠ

According to some people here, no. Every game has to be different. We MUST demand developers to come up with completely new gameplay architectures out of their ass, because apparently we have arbitrarily decided the concept of iterative design is now "a cancer".

danm999

It's fantastic that the dev made the game by himself but at the end of the day I'm paying about the same price for these smaller games, so "effort" is not the deciding factor if I'm purchasing a game or not.

Then why bring alleged laziness into it at all.

kpaadet

So are something else that's for sure.

Joke is on you because the lazy devs FROM totally copied Demon's Souls which came out before Dark Souls, follow the money man.

LOL! Some people are really salty this game is getting good reviews.

There's an inexplicable seething hatred for retro-styled indepedently developed games. It's like the existence of something like Axiom Verge in their minds is actively canceling out or preventing the release of games they enjoy.

EDIT: At the risk of sounding like an armchair mod, I think since people can't control themselves in Review Threads they're going to be banned from GAF. If anticipated games review poorly (see: The Order), we have an absolute shitstorm that mods are already sick of. If games review well, we see people taking it upon themselves to scrape the bottom of the Twitter barrel to ridicule the few dissenting opinions there are (see: Bloodborne). If games review well and are of a certain niche genre, you have a carnival of stupid coming in to shit on games because they exist and how DARE these games not be what I like?!?! (see this thread) I can't remember the last time a Review Thread hasn't devolved into idiocy.

Kyuur

You can also think it looks better for it and that's your opinion, but I disagree and still maintain that if this game had the graphics of a Shadow Complex it would be way better.

You don't have to agree with me, but I have just as much right to voice the things I'm disappointed with in this game as you do in praising the great parts of it.

The problem isn't your opinion about preferring prefer 'modern' graphics and thinking it would make a better game. The problem is that you insinuate that people who like or prefer this style of graphics are 'clouded by nostalgia' and that there is somehow lack of effort in pixel art. You can have opinions, but maybe avoid trashing others and stating outright falsities. :)

Top Bottom