• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge Review Thread

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
There's an inexplicable seething hatred for retro-styled indepedently developed games. It's like the existence of something like Axiom Verge in their minds is actively canceling out or preventing the release of games they enjoy.

Haven't you heard, we are no longer allowed to enjoy Shadow Complex after this game is released. They are dead to us now.

ThisOne

It's fantastic that the dev made the game by himself but at the end of the day I'm paying about the same price for these smaller games, so "effort" is not the deciding factor if I'm purchasing a game or not.
You can also think it looks better for it and that's your opinion, but I disagree and still maintain that if this game had the graphics of a Shadow Complex it would be way better.

But wouldn't that just make it a clone of Shadow Complex?

Audioboxer

Dude, just stop. It's clear you've never even played these games if you claim that "Bloodborne" is a clone of "Dark Souls" (here's a hint: it's the same team, same developer, same director. It's a spiritual sequel to their own game. By definition it can't be a "clone").

According to some people here, no. Every game has to be different. We MUST demand developers to come up with completely new gameplay architectures out of their ass, because apparently we have arbitrarily decided the concept of iterative design is now "a cancer".

No! We have to endlessly compare every game to every other game.

My brothers! :) Or gals, if any of you are female.

On topic this is day 1 for me, looks fun.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I just cannot condone this mass acceptance of knockoffs and clones. From Monster Hunter to Dark Souls. This trend of acceptance and praise for games that just rip off the ideas of others saddens me.

I think its cancer on the games industry, because people are more interest in seeing the same thing that they saw over there now than they are in seeing new and original concepts. Guess this is the state of gaming in this age.

Is this the new "I don't know if you know about...but I'm an expert?"

The worst one of all is an actual Member.

Except that is your entire fucking argument.

No it's not. My argument is simply the game looks old aka "retro" and I just think it would be better if it had what I would consider good graphics.

So indulge us, then. Go open up MS paint right now and make a mock-up of a pixel-art game since they require neither time nor talent. Since, apparently, everyone is just born with the innate grasp on color theory and visual information using just a few pixels.

We'll wait here.

I'll get right on that as soon as you film and direct a movie and then release a studio album before you can critique any film or songs in history.
It's not my job to be able make games before I can say whether it's good or not, just like watching a movie and saying the pacing of it sucks but that doesn't mean I'm suddenly a director now.

I remember when GTA cloning started with Sleeping Dogs and Watch_Dogs, and not with, like, Mafia, or True Crime (aka the actual shameless GTA clone that Sleeping Dogs is descended from), or The Getaway, or The Godfather, or Scarface, or The Godfather. No, it all started right about now.

And of course GTAIII is an original game itself. It wasn't inspired by Driver, which wasn't inspired by GTA1, or Body Harvest, or games like Bethesda's Terminator open world games.

Twiddling my thumbs on this until June unfortunately. No PS4 to experience it on.

I can't wait to get my hands on it. It looks unique while scratching the Metroidvania itch.

Fjordson

I'll get right on that as soon as you film and direct a movie and then release a studio album before you can critique and film or songs in history.
It's not my job to be able make games before I can say whether it's good or not, just like watching a movie and saying the pacing of it sucks but that doesn't mean I'm suddenly a director now.
You brought up time and effort, though. Not liking something is fine. Saying someone who makes something like this is lazy and lacks talent isn't.

Are they?, I assumed that this graphic style for indie games was down to the reduction in development time / cost for such graphics.

Of course they are. Indy games come in all sorts of graphical styles. This game is basically a tribute to 2D Metroid, so of course it is going for a retro look.

krizzx

Can't we just enjoy good games regardless of what inspires them?! ಠ_ಠ

I'm not saying the game isn't good or that you shouldn't be able to enjoy it. I just stated my honest opinion on this matter. I'm not here to fight with people over what they like or don't like.

Is this the new "I don't know if you know about...but I'm an expert?"

No. Just my personal opinion.

BiggNife

I remember when GTA cloning started with Sleeping Dogs and Watch_Dogs, and not with, like, Mafia, or True Crime (aka the actual shameless GTA clone that Sleeping Dogs is descended from), or The Getaway, or The Godfather, or Scarface, or The Godfather. No, it all started right about now.

And of course GTAIII is an original game itself. It wasn't inspired by Driver, which wasn't inspired by GTA1, or Body Harvest, or games like Bethesda's Terminator open world games.

Why did anyone ever praise the Gears of War games, they were clearly just clones of Kill.Switch

Which was a clone of Winback

ThisOne

Axiom Verge does indeed look awesome to me but I do find it interesting that this game is going for $19.99 when the games like Shovel Knight and Hotline Miami 2 are going for $14.99 during the Spring Fever thing on PSN. I wonder what it was about this game that made them bump the price up to $5. Obviously, you could argue that you'll get plenty of entertainment for $19.99 but I think the same could be argued for those other two games as well.

Maybe this isn't the place to be talking about the price, though haha.

Regardless, I'm excited for the game since it looks like a lot of fun.

I totally want to play Axiom Verge, but, based on a review I read, this game employs the use of graphics, which totally copies what Mike Tyson's punch out did back in the 80s. I also heard that it makes heavy use of sound not unlike Street Fighter 2, and player input via the standard PS4 controller just like NBA2K15. It was also created by humans who are copies of their stupid parents.

Shit, does this game do anything original?

Seriously, though, I'm psyched. This will be the first thing I get once I beat Bloodborne.

The PS4 is just a clone of the PlayStation 3 and I for one find this abhorrent and unacceptable. I am so pissed off all the time that it's affecting my performance as a lover.

I'll get right on that as soon as you film and direct a movie and then release a studio album before you can critique and film or songs in history.

What you're saying is not a "critique". You saying "doing this doesn't require any time OR talent" essentially means anybody can do it. That's completely different from actual constructive criticism, which critiques a work without actually calling it "talentless".

Saying "this story didn't flow very well" doesn't imply I can write one better. Saying "this art requires no talent" certainly implies that. You can't just throw out nonsensical excuses to trash the game then call them "critiques".

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm not saying the game isn't good or that you shouldn't be able to enjoy it. I just stated my honest opinion on this matter. I'm not here to fight with people over what they like or don't like.

Your opinion is based on an extremely haphazard survey of the available evidence. You are falling prey to confirmation bias, big time. If you did a thorough accounting of which games are "original" and which are "clones" you wouldn't be able to draw the conclusions you are arguing about.

Also, I don't just consider anything that uses ideas from something else a clone like most are saying. That's extreme. I don't consider Call of Duty a clone of Medal of Honor, or M.A.G. a clone of Battlefield. There are a large enough amount of difference and original ideas between them.

Every one of Infinity Ward's founding members was a team member on Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. How are those two more different than Bloodborne and Dark Souls!?

xxracerxx

The thing is your opinion is that no one should be playing ANY game basically.

Skyzard

Banned
The game is guaranteed to not drop in price for at least 6 months. I'm really not sure how this game and these reviews don't justify a $20 price tag though.

Not sure what most indie titles are priced at but this seems to be top end. But yeah, I'm having second thoughts about what I said earlier now that I'm watching the giant bomb video. I reckon £15/$20 is okay.

Giantbomb aren't great handling spoilers all the time but I want to keep watching... I'll probably forget it all by the time it's out on vita.

Gears

I think I'm missing cents then if that's the price. Ehh I'll likely just add another20$ in anticipation of titan souls too. The past few months dude... Gaming is fucking awesome

You brought up time and effort, though. Not liking something is fine. Saying someone who makes something like this is lazy and lacks talent isn't.

There are certain devs that rely heavily on the "retro" look when in reality they are not talented enough to be able to do 3D game engines. I wasn't suggesting that was the case in this specific game or Fez for example and, but just in the general 2D is way easier than 3D it's the whole reason 1 person can make a "retro" game but there are cases like Dust an elysian tale where it was also 1 guy but he made the graphics and animations gorgeous.

krizzx

The thing is your opinion is that no one should be playing ANY game basically.

I don't recall making single comment on what people should or shouldn't play nor did I intend what I say to mean so. I just don't like how there is so little interest in new and original ideas these days. That was the point I was making.

Every one of Infinity Ward's founding members was a team member on Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. How are those two more different than Bloodborne and Dark Souls!?

For me, its the way they were presented and the degree of differences. Though, I guess they aren't that different when you state it like that.

xxracerxx

There are certain devs that rely heavily on the "retro" look when in reality they are not talented enough to be able to do 3D game engines.

Oh boy.

WHqTpv4.gif

AmanoBuff

The Giantbomb and Plystation Lifestyle scores sealed the deal for me. Will wait for the Vita version though, seems like the perfect device to play it on.

Audioboxer

No. Just my personal opinion.

I just think your views would be better suited aimed at a flappy bird rip off or any one of the examples the mobile gaming industry churns out without a conscious. Some even using actual assests from other games. Those are dirty, and in some cases stolen work.

This dev and his game that he worked on doesn't deserve this kind of heat if you ask me.

I don't recall making single comment on what people should or shouldn't play nor did I intend what I say to mean so. I just don't like how there is so little interest in new and original ideas these days. That was the point I was making.

You're backpedaling. You literally posted the words

This trend of acceptance and praise for games that just rip off the ideas of others saddens me.

Which is a moan and cry about not only the lack of original ideas, but that anybody could praise or accept the games. You're getting a lot of shit because you posted a shitty post crying about anyone who likes a game you think is a clone.

Gaogaogao

It's fantastic that the dev made the game by himself but at the end of the day I'm paying about the same price for these smaller games, so "effort" is not the deciding factor if I'm purchasing a game or not.
You can also think it looks better for it and that's your opinion, but I disagree and still maintain that if this game had the graphics of a Shadow Complex it would be way better.

You don't have to agree with me, but I have just as much right to voice the things I'm disappointed with in this game as you do in praising the great parts of it.

this only goes to show how shallow you are. you don't understand
how visual 'glitches' in the environment have a mechanical function that only makes sense in a 2d game with relatively simple colors, in contrast to these glitches.

someone ban this guy or me so I don't reply to him.

Aeana

Nobody is getting banned for having a different opinion. Y'all really need to learn how to have real debates.

hawk2025

I just cannot condone this mass acceptance of knockoffs and clones. From Monster Hunter to Dark Souls. This trend of acceptance and praise for games that just rip off the ideas of others saddens me.

I think its cancer on the games industry, because people are more interest in seeing the same thing that they saw over there now than they are in seeing new and original concepts. Guess this is the state of gaming in this age.

"I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't play, but you are all supporting a cancer on the games industry".

Yeah, sure. You are not saying what people should or shouldn't play. But the way it's phrased...

There is nothing wrong with having a differing opinion! But when it's constructed in a way that makes it seem like people that have a different one are quite literally supporting a deadly disease in the industry, it's very hard to keep the debate honest and based on the more meaty parts of your argument, no?

You don't compare something to cancer and then say "but I totally respect if you guys like cancer, it's just not my thing!"

Jomjom

Banned
What. The. Fuck.

A game where one guy programs the game, does the art, composes the music, and a host of other responsibilities is accused of having no talent.

Shit I guess you have to win a fucking nobel prize with your game now devs lest you be called a talentless hack.

There are certain devs that rely heavily on the "retro" look when in reality they are not talented enough to be able to do 3D game engines. I wasn't suggesting that was the case in this specific game or Fez for example and, but just in the general 2D is way easier than 3D it's the whole reason 1 person can make a "retro" game but there are cases like Dust an elysian tale where it was also 1 guy but he made the graphics and animations gorgeous.

Why do you keep on harping on about talent? People make the games they want to. Axiom Verge is getting damn good reviews; so good that I'm starting to think this developer could have grabbed Unity and made basically anything in 3D he wanted to. He decided to make a damn good 2D Metroidvania game. I'm glad he did because it's been a while since we've had a real classic in the genre.

Now if you stopped conflating talent with your personal taste in art design then you might find less resistance in this thread. Claiming that any developer is less talented is pretty damn insulting considering how hard it is to make a game in the first place. Criticize the game, don't make it personal.

What. The. Fuck.

A game where one guy programs the game, does the art, composes the music, and a host of other responsibilities is accused of having no talent.

Shit I guess you have to win a fucking nobel prize with your game now devs lest you be called a talentless hack.

And worst of all, this lazy developer is charging $20 for his game. This is non-sense. Will wait for price cut and, also, die alone.

As friends with both the Dust developer and the Axiom Verge developer, I can confirm that both individuals are very talented developers who worked like crazy to make their game. They also had very different goals - Dean (Dust) was inspired by classic Disney & Don Bluth films while Tom (Axiom) was inspired by Metroid.

Making a good looking 2D game is a very different skillset than making a good 3D looking game. Saying one requires more talent than the other is ridiculous. For example, I'm making a 2D RPG at the moment & I daresay that the vast majority of 3D artists would be absolutely worthless to us because they don't have the experience or talent to make quality pixel art. You can't just take a high-res picture and blurry it up to make low-res pixel art if you want something that looks good.

Emulating an older era of games and making it actually look good requires a lot of skill. For every Shovel Knight or Axiom Verge, you get hundreds of programmer art indie games that look horrible.

Also keep in mind that many of these throwback indie games also have effects that are far more complex than anything that you could actually do on the actual hardware they're emulating.

krizzx

"I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't play, but you are all supporting a cancer on the games industry".

Yeah, sure. You are not saying what people should or shouldn't play. But the way it's phrased...

There is nothing wrong with having a differing opinion! But when it's constructed in a way that makes it seem like people that have a different one are quite literally supporting a deadly disease in the industry, it's very hard to keep the debate honest and based on the more meaty parts of your argument, no?

You don't compare something to cancer and then say "but I totally respect if you guys like cancer, it's just not my thing!"

You are taking my words out of context. That is not how I meant that. I said its cancer on the game industry as in its the same thing, over and over. Like its just growing, and I believe it is having a detrimental effect overall.

Myggen

"2015".

I'm trying to find out if it would be realistic to expect it before or after the PC version in June. But I don't want to bother the director because he's probably working so hard as it is.

From what little information there is out there about the Vita release, it seems to me that it would be realistic to expect it after the PC release. I get the impression that the PC release is the priority right now.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You are taking my words out of context. That is not how I meant that.
Maybe you need to rewrite your posts then because that's exactly how it is read.

Also what missing context? You did a standalone post that said this is the cancer of the industry and people that accept it sadden you.

From what little information there is out there about the Vita release, it seems to me that it would be realistic to expect it after the PC release. I get the impression that the PC release is the priority right now.

That's my fear as well. The PC release is out in June, meaning that one has a deadline. The Vita version, as popular as it seems in this thread, is the one that will already be paid for via cross-buy and the smaller market otherwise.

I'm afraid me and the other Vita holdouts will be waiting for a long time.

Why do you keep on harping on about talent? People make the games they want to. Axiom Verge is getting damn good reviews; so good that I'm starting to think this developer could have grabbed Unity and made basically anything in 3D he wanted to. He decided to make a damn good 2D Metroidvania game. I'm glad he did because it's been a while since we've had a real classic in the genre.

Now if you stopped conflating talent with your personal taste in art design then you might find less resistance in this thread. Claiming that any developer is less talented is pretty damn insulting considering how hard it is to make a game in the first place. Criticize the game, don't make it personal.

You maybe right in that talent is not the word I should have used in this case, but there are certain games were a lack of talent is made up with "retro" graphics.
I just think that even 1 person can make what I would consider a good looking game like Dean Dodrill did with Dust and not have to rely on a "retro" art style.

Top Bottom