• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge Review Thread

SerTapTap

Here's my spoiler-free review. I put it up there with SoTN and Super Metroid and I stand by it. I strongly recommend avoiding too many spoilers, I don't even mention a lot of the cool stuff the game does in my review, it's just so amazing when it hits you.

BTW, if any reviewers know how to get THAT ONE secret in the top left of Eribu please PM me. 98% complete is agony.

big_z

not surprised at the giantbomb score, the guys have been dropping obvious hints on the bombcast.

will play this while waiting for the bloodborne patch to hit.

jacobeid

Banned
I didn't need the reviews to sell me in the slightest, but I'm glad to see it reviewing well.

Honestly I'll probably take a small hiatus from Bloodborne for this.

Maybe I'm not comprehending what the Eurogamer quote is attempting to say, but it seems to contradict most of the other excerpts are stating about the game.

Maybe I'll read the full review later, but I'm already buying the game anyway

I don't get the whole, "it felt like Metroid, and that made me uncomfortable." That is just a really weird criticism.

I could see it being offputting if the game is "too close" to another property.

In this case though it's been so long since we've had a game that was close to Metroid specifically I don't consider it a negative thing. And who even knows if the Metroid series is still active anymore.

SerTapTap

I don't get the whole, "it felt like Metroid, and that made me uncomfortable." That is just a really weird criticism.

My reaction to that is Reggie-style "Play. The. Game." It establishes it's own identity quite quickly and while it has clear Metroid references it's not simply a nostalgia-fest. You could play it without knowing of Metroid and you probably wouldn't realize you were missing references.

What engine is this based on? unity?

Looks like visual studio or something on PC, didn't see any obvious middleware. I wouldn't worry about the engine, it runs at a flawless 60 FPS. Some minor bugs but Tom was quick to fix most of them before embargo even ended.

My reaction to that is Reggie-style "Play. The. Game." It establishes it's own identity quite quickly and while it has clear Metroid references it's not simply a nostalgia-fest. You could play it without knowing of Metroid and you probably wouldn't realize you were missing references.

Speaking of Reggie; the game was being shown at a trade show and Reggie ended up seeing it, someone straight up told him that someone has to make a new Metroid since Nintendo won't.

Here's the story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uicE_Oe-lB4

My Vita! Please! My Vita yearns!

I have been waiting for this experience since Zero Mission and Fusion taunted me with a handheld space adventure. I want this so badly I will scream my eyes out.

Looks like visual studio or something on PC, didn't see any obvious middleware. I wouldn't worry about the engine, it runs at a flawless 60 FPS. Some minor bugs but Tom was quick to fix most of them before embargo even ended.

Nice, too bad its not planned for the 3ds, i would play this immediately....

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Most games are very similar to another in its genre. It is the way games are created. They copy and steal ideas, or pay homage to other games that came before, yet I have never heard someone call it "uncomfortable". Tired or samey sure, but uncomfortable is a weird word to use.

I have never heard someone call it "uncomfortable". Tired or samey sure, but uncomfortable is a weird word to use.

I think the reviewer was just expressing their subjective reaction to the game, not describing the game itself. I wish they had gone into more detail on it, but maybe they didn't have the word count or couldn't articulate it.

Being a long time fan of Metroid, and hungry for a new "Metroidvania" style game, this game looks sooo delicious! I'll have to wrap up my first play through of Bloodborne, and jump right on this game.

Tizoc

I may just get this day 1 but I wanna hold off in case they provide another 10% discount code first XD

Fury451

Banned

In this case though it's been so long since we've had a game that was close to Metroid specifically I don't consider it a negative thing. And who even knows if the Metroid series is still active anymore.

Shadow of Mordor reviewed well and that was basically Assassins Creed: Middle Earth Edition in a lot if the structure and gameplay. No negative complaints about that that I recall from major publications.

For what it's worth, it was better at assassinating than Creed lately. But your second comment about the Metroid series is why I wouldn't care too much about similarities here- the traditional 2D Metroid doesn't seem poised for a comeback anytime soon.

Top Bottom