• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge Review Thread

jaina

A game that on purpose hobbles its graphics to look retro, is not perfect. It looks like crap, much of it. Some of it looks cool, but a lot doesn't. Since it doesn't look good, forget perfect, I think perfect scores for such a game are excessive.
The graphics can still be great/impressive/functional with the look Axiom Verge uses, why would that prevent a "perfect" score?

I will soon. So perhaps I am wrong. But perfect scores to me indicate a perfect game, or a near perfect game.

A game that on purpose hobbles its graphics to look retro, is not perfect. It looks like crap, much of it. Some of it looks cool, but a lot doesn't. Since it doesn't look good, forget perfect, I think perfect scores for such a game are excessive.

Perfect scores should be used more sparingly. I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

And we all judge graphics. We all have a line the sand for such games. If it were even more rudimentary, would people still be impressed? No. So my line in the sand is just different from yours, but we both have it. So at the end of the day we are the same. But I am perhaps just more honest, and less beholden to nostalgia, and more concerned with 'good'.

Retro graphics are an artist choice. You may not prefer them, but that doesn't mean they are bad. I would argue that nomatter how "good" as you say, graphics look these days, they still look like shit most of the time due to awful framerates and screen tearing. Also, review scores are subjective, that's why everyone doesn't give the same score. I wouldn't take them too seriously. But saying something like "scores are too high" for a game you've never played is pretty silly.

Kensuke

I will soon. So perhaps I am wrong. But perfect scores to me indicate a perfect game, or a near perfect game.

Perfect scores should be used more sparingly. I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

And we all judge graphics. We all have a line the sand for such games. If it were even more rudimentary, would people still be impressed? No. So my line in the sand is just different from yours, but we both have it. So at the end of the day we are the same. But I am perhaps just more honest, and less beholden to nostalgia, and more concerned with 'good'.

Rudimentary? Pixel art can be beautiful, as it often is in Axiom Verge. More polygons on the screen does not equal good or even better.

It's like saying The Artist could not have possibly won Best Film, 'because we moved away from black and white for a reason'.

Panda Rin

Looks fantastic...definitely seems like a game I'll pick up on vita at some point.

what a month for PS4 though..

Axiom Verge
Hotline Miami 2
MLB 15
Toukiden: Kiwami
Bloodborne
Borderlands Collection
Type-0
Helldivers
DMC

2.5 update and Spotify integration as well.

nib95

Banned
Looks fantastic...definitely seems like a game I'll pick up on vita at some point.

Axiom Verge
Hotline Miami 2
MLB 15
Bloodborne
Borderlands Collection
Type-0
Helldivers
DMC

Pretty epic. And March of all the months lol.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Lambasting a developer's choice to use retro/pixel art is asinine. It looks beautiful. It sounds like you can't appreciate much of anything with that type of attitude. Seriously.

Rudimentary? Pixel art can be beautiful, as it often is in Axiom Verge. More polygons on the screen does not equal good or even better.

It's like saying The Artist could not have possibly won Best Film, 'because we moved away from black and white for a reason'.
I can't believe Miyazaki's last film used hand drawn animation, an archaic art style replaced by CG years ago! I can't imagine how much nostalgia it would take for someone to think this actually looks "good":

original.jpg

SerTapTap

Estival Versus too, though I'm one of few to import...crazy month. Rack N Ruin also seems pretty good though I haven't finished it yet (it's also launching tomorrow.)

Are they?, I assumed that this graphic style for indie games was down to the reduction in development time / cost for such graphics.

It can be both or either/or. GOOD pixel art is not necessarily easier or cheaper than higher res 2D art or simple 3D. It's absolutely clearly a stylistic choice in this game though, whether it was easier or not. The game features fairly accurate (but deliberate) approximations of assorted NES era glitches for certain reasons. I advise against judging the art style until you've played a significant amount. All I can say is the game looks great and I'm very glad the decision was made to make it like it was.

I'd never heard of this until today. It looks pretty, reviews are saying it is good AND it is on Vita. I'll have to get this in the near future.

There's no such thing as a perfect game. Hasn't come out yet, won't come out in the future. 10/10 just means an exceptional game, which Axiom Verge sounds like it is.

And come on. Overaged, fat, and white? What on earth does race, age, and weight have to do with review scores?

Outstanding, looks great. Haven't booted up my Vita since I completed Ys but I imagine that this will be the thing that gets that device working again.

The fact that IGN still uses decimal points in their review scales is bloody ridiculous.

you could say its pointless

can't wait to try this out. hope it can live up to the hype

georly

I was really hoping this would score average so I wouldn't be tempted to buy it. I told myself I was going to cut back on game purchases this year. Ughhhhhhhhhh super metroid is my 3rd favorite game of all time, I don't know if i'll have the restraint to not buy this tomorrow.

Edit: Wait, Is Axiom verge only ps4 tomorrow, or is it coming out on PC/Vita, too? I don't have a PS4 yet, only pc/pstv.

I'm definitely going to pick this up. Hopefully it lives up to the reviews.

I've had a Metroidvania-esque itch since I played Ori and unfortunately, that game didn't suffice.

Did get me to play Zero Mission again though.

squadr0n

With the success Axiom Verge has been recieving does anyone think there will be a trend of metroid influenced indie games being released in the near future?
If so is this a bad thing? Since the AAA devs aren't touching this style of game anymore with Iga off Castlevania and the Epic's Shadow Complex, there hasn't been a good metroidvania till recently.
How many people would purchase these types of games in the future if they recieved similar reviews? Even without the Nes inspired graphics, I love these types of games and would love to see more like it. But I'm starting to grow tired of the 16-bit style, after Shovel Knight and this I feel like it will just be over used when not needed.

L33T

Banned
I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

I... Wha? Erm... Are you alright?... In the head, I mean.
What does being white, overweight and mature have to do with taste in games?

With the success Axiom Verge has been recieving does anyone think there will be a trend of metroid influenced indie games being released in the near future?
If so is this a bad thing? Since the AAA devs aren't touching this style of game anymore with Iga off Castlevania and the Epic's Shadow Complex, there hasn't been a good metroidvania till recently.
How many people would purchase these types of games in the future if they recieved similar reviews? Even without the Nes inspired graphics, I love these types of games and would love to see more like it. But I'm starting to grow tired of the 16-bit style, after Shovel Knight and this I feel like it will just be over used when not needed.

If you've been paying attention to Kickstarter, you'd know that there are a ton of indie Metroidvanias coming soon.

PopFisto

Banned

It's more like can a best picture win best picture if it was shot on a shitty old handheld camera that only shot in SD, for no particular reason? I'd say no.

I love pixel art. But there's no reason it has to be this basic, theres no reason other than useless nostalgia or budgetary and time reasons that all these games are NES homages.

Is the game better, is their any point in keeping the graphics so utterly basic from a gaming point of view? None. Too many games look like this. It was cute at first, but at least give me something that looks like Hyperlight Drifter in terms of the quality of pixel art.

The obsession with 8 bit graphics in indie games is ridiculous. Why not just make it look like an Atari game if quality pixels aren't important?

I've really been looking forward to this, but to be honest I completely forgot about it as I've had quite a few other games on the go recently. I'm trying to finish Sleeping Dogs, I've just made a start on Peggle 2 and Bloodborne, and I just picked up Tomb Raider in the sale last week. Plus, I need to get back to Helldivers, Driveclub and Metro Redux. I've really been looking forward to Axiom Verge, but I've got so much on my plate right now I might have to pass on it for the time being.

Z3M0G

The soundtrack isn't what I would call chiptune either BTW. If you don't want to be spoiled too much I'd stick to the first 4 tracks, but there's some great shit.

OMG OMG OMG

I want to listen to the whole thing SO BAD!!! But like you said, for a game like this, the music would be a major spoiler... it does a lot to set the tone and atmosphere of each new area you discover...

I'll at least listen to the first track over and over all day... the underlying beat is fantastic! With a bassy system, this will sound like pure sex.

Did the solo creator do the music too? I assume not? If he did, he's a genius of our time or something... wow!

Edit: "By Thomas Happ" "Tom Happ is the sole developer of Axiom Verge, and was responsible for all art, code, music, and game design."

Mind blowing... who the fuck is this guy!?!?! If work ever sends me back to Vegas, I need to shake this man's hand.

SerTapTap

You all should probably stop responding to the obvious troll

There's a fair few indie games already (or in development) that are Metroidvanias. Bunny Must Die is a personal favorite (it's hard as hell though), Heart Forth Alicia and Chasm are upcoming ones. This is one of the best I've played though, and if it inspires more like it I'm perfectly fine with that.

Tom seems to "get" it in a way that many Metroidvanias don't, the feeling of exploration is there in a big way and it's amazingly cohesive. A few too many indie Metroidvanias play more like a platformer with a slightly interconnected map. Stuff like Shantae: Pirate's Curse and Mega Man ZX are more like Metroidvania-inspired/Metroidvania-lite than fitting fully into the genre. Very good games, but not very good Metroidvanias.

I've wanted to play Axiom Verge ever since I saw a trailer for it a month or so ago. But I am heavily invested in Bloodborne at the moment. Should I buy this now anyways?

Grief.exe

Axiom Verge
Hotline Miami 2
MLB 15
Bloodborne
Borderlands Collection
Type-0
Helldivers
DMC

2.5 update and Spotify integration as well.

Cities Skylines
Pillars of Eternity
Bloodborne

All released in March, all massive time sinks. Each game has around 50-100 hours of content minimum.
All 90+ metacritic as well.

Cool, I really can't hold all these games! If I ever finish Bloodborne, I have to beat type 0, get back to dragon age, continue cities, and then hopefully try this out.

Top Bottom