• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge Review Thread

Letep

Yes, and 10% off the first week (no further sales for 6 months or more). If you want it for Vita you should probably just buy the PS4 version this week.

$20, $18 with PS+ for the spring fever sale. Absolutely worth it in terms of quality/content IMO. I've got like 30+ hours in.

I'm definitely in. Can't wait to play on both PS4 and Vita. The game looks stunning.

Bummer that this isn't launching on Vita at the same time, it would have gotten two Metroids back to back, counting La Mulana.

I'll still be there on PS4 day one.

Indie Gamer Chick's tweets about it got me so hyped.

ibltt4KBisVyLI.png

Joey Ravn

Banned
Oh, wait. This is on PC? My hype levels went through the roof I assumed that this was another PS exclusive. I'll gladly wait for a June release now.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
This is the very first time I've heard of this game, and upon hearing it I decided to look it up and to my surprise it looks like Metroid! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Is this really that good? Oh man oh god oh man oh god oh man OH GOD oh man

danowat

Banned
I wonder how many people will be put off, and miss out on what appears to be a very good game, purely on the aesthetics?

Kensuke

Axiom Verge looks a lot like Metroid, but it also differs in many important ways. Yes, they're both about exploring a mysterious alien world, but they don't play the same way.

Samus, for example, is very agile. Which enables her to perform all kinds of platforming tricks (screw attacks, speed boosting, shinesparking). Trace is not like that at all, he's kinda slow and only has basic platforming abilities. Instead he can make use of a huge arsenal of tools, including tons of guns, a drill, and a mini robot he can launch. So in practice the games don't really feel that much alike.

I finished the game with 98% map and 87% items and consider it a top-tier Metroidvania.

magnetic

From the GB review:

but also evolve in meaningful ways that make this more than just another pixel art platformer with a chiptune soundtrack.

I´m happy that Jason specifically points this out, because this specific style has been pretty overused in the recent years, so this sounds good.

Looking forward to play this on Vita!

7.9? Christ, I hate it when scores use a .1 scale, round it up damn it. Other than that it's good to know that this game is getting critically acclaimed, I'll make sure I buy it when it's on sale.

I was going to hit the backlog after Bloodborne but I'm going to slot this one in instead. Can't believe this was done by one guy.

The only thing I've seen on this game is the trailer they put up on PSN for the spring Fever promotion,(and was enough to sell me on it) I had no idea this was made by one person...wow. Thst's super impressive!

Tadale

One review says that it's too similar to Metroid, other reviews saw that it twists and plays with the conventions of the genre more than they have been in years. I'm excited to see what I'll think about it.

SerTapTap

So it is definitely cross-buy even though it's not on Vita yet? I want to take advantage of the discount but wait to play on Vita.

Yes, the cross-buy's retroactive, heard so in official emails from Dan.

I´m happy that Jason specifically points this out, because this specific style has been pretty overused in the recent years, so this sounds good.

Looking really forward to play this on Vita!

The soundtrack isn't what I would call chiptune either BTW. If you don't want to be spoiled too much I'd stick to the first 4 tracks, but there's some great shit.

But yeah, "another pixel platformer" is a disgraceful way to refer to this game.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
One review says that it's too similar to Metroid, other reviews saw that it twists and plays with the conventions of the genre more than they have been in years. I'm excited to see what I'll think about it.

As if being too similar to Metroid is a bad thing.

Here's my spoiler-free review. I put it up there with SoTN and Super Metroid and I stand by it. I strongly recommend avoiding too many spoilers, I don't even mention a lot of the cool stuff the game does in my review, it's just so amazing when it hits you.

BTW, if any reviewers know how to get THAT ONE secret in the top left of Eribu please PM me. 98% complete is agony.

Kinda hard to judge it compared to games like those that have stood the test of time for decades.

Guys, if you're gonna buy it, buy it this week. It's gonna be the cheapest during this week for a while.

How much is it this week vs. after this week?

PopFisto

Banned
Why is it a good thing to purposely have such rudimentary graphics? Theres a reason we moved on from the NES.

Scores too high. Should be lower.

magnetic

I wonder how many people will be put off, and miss out on what appears to be a very good game, purely on the aesthetics?

Looks like a mix between a NES and an Amiga game, so it the visual style and the intended audience seems to match up perfectly from my point of view.

Great reviews. So proud of the developer of this game. One man made this and I'm so overjoyed to know that the game he spent his life working on is one of the best indie games ever.

0xCA2

I'm so excited. I've been fiending for a new 2d metroid-esque experience. Can't wait until it comes out on PC.

I hope games stay this good.

PopFisto

Banned
You've played it?

I will soon. So perhaps I am wrong. But perfect scores to me indicate a perfect game, or a near perfect game.

A game that on purpose hobbles its graphics to look retro, is not perfect. It looks like crap, much of it. Some of it looks cool, but a lot doesn't. Since it doesn't look good, forget perfect, I think perfect scores for such a game are excessive.

Perfect scores should be used more sparingly. I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

And we all judge graphics. We all have a line the sand for such games. If it were even more rudimentary, would people still be impressed? No. So my line in the sand is just different from yours, but we both have it. So at the end of the day we are the same. But I am perhaps just more honest, and less beholden to nostalgia, and more concerned with 'good'.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Somehow I've never even heard of this, but now I'll be picking it up tomorrow on Vita. Looks amazing.

It won't be out on the Vita tomorrow but at a later date,but it is cross-buy.

So you could buy it tomorrow at the discount price (provided you have PS+) then download it when it comes out on Vita.

magnetic

Perfect scores should be used more sparingly. I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

I agree, young petite afro-american ladies would obviously have rated this much lower.

My fucking body is READYYYYYYYYYY!

Going blitz on coding the next few days to get ahead so I reserve time for this later this week. Yissssss!

Top Bottom