• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge Review Thread

But good doesn't translate into almost universal perfect scores. I think this might be one of the absolute best reviewed game in the past few years.

Look, I'm actually also excited for the game. Believe it or not, I am getting a PS4 for this game. But, you can't deny the appeal of this game is heavily steeped in nostalgia. All the reviews admit how great it feels to play the true spiritual successor of Metroidvania. How they're transported back to their glorious youth.

If this game is so good, then why are youngsters, with no connection to such games, find this game flat out crap? They're coming at it from a different point of view, one that is just as valid, and one without any nostalgia for the past. I don't agree with that point of view, but the people who will get the most out of this game will definitely be because of nostalgia.

I just think people are allowing nostalgia to cloud the games extremely obvious short comings.

Keep em' coming, dude. You are amazing.

PopFisto

Banned
Gameplay is far more important than graphics.

What does race have to do with anything? Such a fucking dumb comment.

Ok, but lets not obsess over a few poorly chosen words, but I apologize. My point is the gamut of opinions is coming from a very insular place. A place that doesn't reflect reality.

And that many real non critic gamers, who didn't nerd out growing up playing Super Metroid, a game even Nintendo refuses to cash in on which proves the true relevancy of these games, would display a more contemporary and more relevant opinion.

Perfect scores should be used more sparingly. I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

And we all judge graphics. We all have a line the sand for such games. If it were even more rudimentary, would people still be impressed? No. So my line in the sand is just different from yours, but we both have it. So at the end of the day we are the same. But I am perhaps just more honest, and less beholden to nostalgia, and more concerned with 'good'.
Couple things with this post...

(1) 5/5 isn't a "perfect" score, and it's not meant to be read that way. Many sites, including Giantbomb, have stated that a 5/5 or a 10/10 does not indicate a "perfect" game, and isn't a "perfect" score. It's an "outstanding" score, and other such adjectives.

(2) What the hell does weight or race have to do with critiques of Axiom Verge, or most video games for that matter?

(3) "Good" is absolutely subjective, especially in the sense you're talking about. For the art direction they chose, their art absolutely is good. It's a retro game. Every game isn't going to be built with The Order's engine, and to expect them all to be is laughably dumb.

EDIT: Just for the record, never played a Metroid game in my life. So I can't say I'm "nerding out" to "nostalgia." I can say that I'm hyped as hell to play a great game, though. Played the demo of Axiom Verge at Best Buy about a month ago, and bought a $20 PSN card specifically to buy this game on Day 1. It really sounds like you don't like the genre and you're trying to make other people agree with your tastes for some reason. Seems like a weird thing to do.

Also, you are aware that critiques in pretty much all mediums are like this, right? You can wait for the user reviews once the game comes out if that makes you feel better, but I can imagine they're all going to be pretty positive as well.

hawk2025

Ok, but lets not obsess over a few poorly chosen words, but I apologize. My point is the gamut of opinions is coming from a very insular place. A place that doesn't reflect reality.

And that many real non critic gamers, who didn't nerd out growing up playing Super Metroid, a game even Nintendo refuses to cash in on which proves the true relevancy of these games, would display a more contemporary and more relevant opinion.

No one's obsessing over a few poorly chosen words -- they are harping on your profoundly stupid argument that somehow, without playing the game, the reviews are invalid because they do not represent an accurate assessment (one you can't even make yourself, which adds even more depth to the "profound" bit above) of how the general population feels about this game.

The 8 bit styling is definitely justified for this game. It's not there for cheap sentimental value. Jeremy Parish explains it best in his Usgamer review.

ThisOne

$20 seems a little steep to me. These reviews look great though. I'm more excited now for the game than I was before. I'll pick it up at some point soon. A little worried about splitting my video game time between this and Bloodborne though.

SerTapTap

Is this game digital only? Willing to import a physical copy! Loved Metroid on GBA. Music seems awesome will pick up.
Would be awesome but no I haven't heard if any plans. Let Tom (@AxiomVerge) know on Twitter and maybe he'll consider it. It does seem easier than ever for Indies to get physical copies. I wouldn't count on it either though. It's still like 1% of ps4 Indies at retail, it's just better than 0%.

BPoole

Ori and the Blind Forest was well worth the $20 I spent on it, so if this game has similar value $20 seems fine.
I've expressed my opinions on the pricing of this game in that thread and it caused quite a bit of controversy in that thread and I don't wish to begin that debate in here.

I'm watching the GB Quick look now and am thoroughly impressed in the level of detail in the pixel art.

Teknoman

Cool, I really can't hold all these games! If I ever finish Bloodborne, I have to beat type 0, get back to dragon age, continue cities, and then hopefully try this out.

Everything you said minus cities. I think I need to start playing Type 0 during daylight hours when off.

hawk2025

Would be awesome but no I haven't heard if any plans. Let Tom (@AxiomVerge) know on Twitter and maybe he'll consider it. It does seem easier than ever for Indies to get physical copies. I wouldn't count on it either though. It's still like 1% of ps4 Indies at retail, it's just better than 0%.

Retro City Rampage got an awesome one-time pressing.

Maybe we can get it to happen here?

SerTapTap

Yeah a one time limited print is enough for me, I got my rcr copy and won't open it, got it to collect. But it would be cool if it were easily available, even if online retailers only. Stick It To The Man seems to manage to stay in stock on Amazon, I wonder what they did to get there

I'm watching the GB Quick look now and am thoroughly impressed in the level of detail in the pixel art.
Perhaps important to note, there are a LOT of early Dev images of this game floating around... Even in reviews. The images in my review are all from the final version. It looks quite a bit better IMO, kind of surprising how a few details can really improve pixel art.

Teknoman

I'm overweight and white but I'm not overaged so I guess this game isn't for me.

Im not overweight or white, but I love the hell out of classic looking games, that arent retro just for popularity sake. Eh.

I might be overaged since late 20s is old according to GAF :p

On a serious note, it kills me when people claim Nostalgia = inflated ratings for stuff like Shovel Knight and so on. If its got an awesome soundtrack and art style that fits the gameplay imagined by the devs, no amount of nostalgia for the good old days should have any effect on how its rated. Its just good. Same with classic good games that actually released from 16 bit days and back, a good game will forever be a good game.

BPoole

Yeah a one time limited print is enough for me, I got my rcr copy and won't open it, got it to collect. But it would be cool if it were easily available, even if online retailers only.

Perhaps important to note, there are a LOT of early Dev images of this game floating around... Even in reviews. The images in my review are all from the final version. It looks quite a bit better IMO, kind of surprising how a few details can really improve pixel art.
The only grip I've seen thus far with visuals is that it isn't always entirely clear which blocks can be drilled and which can't. I suppose that is necessary for having secret areas, but I feel like some people will get stuck in spots because the blocks to drill aren't all the same color

Review threads are fucking brutal lately.

Stoked for Axiom Verge, never played Metroid, but I like Castlevania, so maybe I'm still wrong?

yoplay

Yes!! Best indie goty will be a bloodbath this year. So many great titles. I can't wait for this particular one in question.

SerTapTap

The only grip I've seen thus far with visuals is that it isn't always entirely clear which blocks can be drilled and which can't. I suppose that is necessary for having secret areas, but I feel like some people will get stuck in spots because the blocks to drill aren't all the same color
It's usually very obvious if it's a required path, less obvious if it is optional. The tile based visuals are used to give visual cues for false walls, compartments etc. There's only two secrets I couldn't find out on my own out of (item count spoiler)
over 100 collectable items

Maan, I saw that late game stuff in the GB Quick Look.

I really shouldn't have...

Hopefully PC version is out soon, I never thought I'd have to avoid footage of an indie game =X

hawk2025

Based on the demo, the game does a brilliant job of showing you naturally that there will be BOTH obviously-drillable blocks, but also hidden drillable blocks.

Dynomutt

Cool, I really can't hold all these games! If I ever finish Bloodborne, I have to beat type 0, get back to dragon age, continue cities, and then hopefully try this out.

I have completed 1 game on my PS4 - Infamous: SS. 2 games if you count Destiny.

Due to deals, Amazon/GCU sales, and PS Plus this generation has actually been more affordable to me but I can finish games. Still have to complete:

TLOU - about 3hrs left
Firstlight
Injustice
Strider
Guacamele
Transistor
FC4
DriveClub
The Order
Valiant Hearts
Olli Olli 2
Velocity 2X
Counterspy

Pretty sure i missed a Plus title somewhere its crazy this gen. And people say there are no games whaaat?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Perfect scores should be used more sparingly. I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

This is a kamikaze account, right? Holy shit, my sides.

Are black, fit people less prone to nostalgia?

SerTapTap

Based on the demo, the game does a brilliant job of showing you naturally that there will be BOTH obviously-drillable blocks, but also hidden drillable blocks.

The game has some amazing sign posting with all of the abilities. Generally when you get a new ability you'll be "trapped" in the room with it and forced to use it to leave as a sort of natural, mini-tutorial (you remain in complete control, it's not a Cinematic game). Secrets are less obvious but...they're secrets. There's a big gulf in difficulty between bare minimum and 100%. You need to be highly observant and explore to get high completion percentages, but I don't think that's an unreasonable requirement.

Purchased the soundtrack... STILL trying to not listen to the whole thing... I'm at track 6 again... :/

Like I said earlier anyone scoping out the OST should probably stop at track 4 as that's all extremely early game stuff (but still good). Definitely don't go past 6. The music's awesome, but it's maried to the enviornment/situation in such a cool way.

Also if the GB video has lategame spoilers you should probably not watch it if you're already sold. Spoilers are a big deal. There is stuff in this game you will be glad you didn't see coming.

Maybe the game is getting good review scores because it is good.
Uh huh...

image.php

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Damn, lots of well-received indie Metroidvanias out there. Guacamelee, Ori, Apotheon, now this. So far, what's the best of the bunch?

Z3M0G

Like I said earlier anyone scoping out the OST should probably stop at track 4 as that's all extremely early game stuff (but still good). Definitely don't go past 6. The music's awesome, but it's maried to the enviornment/situation in such a cool way.

Also if the GB video has lategame spoilers you should probably not watch it if you're already sold. Spoilers are a big deal. There is stuff in this game you will be glad you didn't see coming.

Yah, I think I crept to track 8 then stopped. I think I'm done for now until I get into the game. (I NEED to listen to the first couple tracks in my car later though.)

I already had some of the interesting weapons spoiled for me while listening to some reviews... really regretting that. One of them would have been a big surprise for sure.

Eurogamer review:

... what?

Hahaha, is this for real? It would have been IMPOSSIBLE for this person to play Mega Man...

SerTapTap

Eurogamer review:

... what?

...if you can play a Mega Man game you can play this, square/X as shoot/jump is great. I don't understand their complaint. Buttons are fully remappable anyway.

Yah, I think I crept to track 8 then stopped. I think I'm done for now until I get into the game. (I NEED to listen to the first couple tracks in my car later though.)

I already had some of the interesting weapons spoiled for me while listening to some reviews... really regretting that. One of them would have been a big surprise for sure

Uh yeah, good that you stopped

Teknoman

I already had some of the interesting weapons spoiled for me while listening to some reviews... really regretting that. One of them would have been a big surprise for sure.

Hahaha, is this for real? It would have been IMPOSSIBLE for this person to play Mega Man...

Or any game really.

Fjordson

It's usually very obvious if it's a required path, less obvious if it is optional. The tile based visuals are used to give visual cues for false walls, compartments etc. There's only two secrets I couldn't find out on my own out of (item count spoiler)
over 100 collectable items
Wow. Impressed that there are that many items. Also glad that they aren't too hard to find.

Top Bottom