• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge Review Thread

at least jeff has a girlfriend, i bet you don't

Hey now, his cookie cutter dismissive juvenile nonconformist post was at least tryhard, you should have devoted at least 3 sentences in response

The Vita one is delayed by programming, the PC one by contract. It all depends on how nice Sony is willing to be with the timed exclusivity--if June is the target, pretty friendly IMO.

Important to remember, this is literally one guy, and he recently quit his day job due to the Pub Fund upfront royalties thing. He decided not to delay the PS4 version to put them out at the same time because this is his income now and he doesn't have Curve or anything to port it.

Tom's pretty frank, don't take it for him not caring. He fixed bugs during the embargo very quickly. Last I've heard is a couple/few months.

This sucks, but waiting for the Vita release at least gives me time to focus on the 3000 other releases this month.

The End

In the last three weeks I've bought Helldivers, FF:T-0, and Bloodborne

I really, really want this game, but I really really don't have time for it right now.

AgeEighty

Looks to me more like a Controid game than a Metroidvania game.

Anyway, I thought "Metroidvania" was a term specifically given to Metroid-like Castlevania games?

Why is it a good thing to purposely have such rudimentary graphics? Theres a reason we moved on from the NES.

Scores too high. Should be lower.

I will soon. So perhaps I am wrong. But perfect scores to me indicate a perfect game, or a near perfect game.

A game that on purpose hobbles its graphics to look retro, is not perfect. It looks like crap, much of it. Some of it looks cool, but a lot doesn't. Since it doesn't look good, forget perfect, I think perfect scores for such a game are excessive.

Perfect scores should be used more sparingly. I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

And we all judge graphics. We all have a line the sand for such games. If it were even more rudimentary, would people still be impressed? No. So my line in the sand is just different from yours, but we both have it. So at the end of the day we are the same. But I am perhaps just more honest, and less beholden to nostalgia, and more concerned with 'good'.

You are the worst.

The worst.

Anyway, I thought "Metroidvania" was a term specifically given to Metroid-like Castlevania games?

contra is a side-scroller. this game has a big ol' map and parts are gated off by weapons and abilities. definitely metroid.

Considering Metroidvania has become a buzzword tossed around by almost every indie on the planet for any game with even remotely non-linear progress, I think this is probably a more appropriate use than most

Finally some real Metroid. I hope more indie devs bring back lost Nintendo IP since they seems to have stopped caring.

Spiritual successor to F-Zero next, please!

EDIT: Pop Fisto is the devil. :(

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I will buy this once the PS Vita version comes out and no I'm not interested in saving $2 dollars to buy a version I won't be playing right now even with the Cross Buy.

AgeEighty

contra is a side-scroller. this game has a big ol' map and parts are gated off by weapons and abilities. definitely metroid.

Metroid is part of "Controid". I see a lot of Contra in the 8-way shooting aspects and the large alien enemies. It's the -vania part I'm not seeing.

I'm guessing this got reviewed by Giant Bomb and Ori didn't because Jeff was interested in it and hasn't been sucked into Bloodborne like Brad and Dan?

Metroid is part of "Controid". I see a lot of Contra in the 8-way shooting aspects and the large alien enemies. It's the -vania part I'm not seeing.

Metroidvania has become a term that just describes any type of game with either metro if or SoTN type gameplay. Really they should just be called "metroids" because Super Metroid so clearly inspired SoTN but both had a part in popularizing the genre hence the title.
I never took it to mean that games with melee combat are metroidvanias and games with shooting are just metroids.

kpaadet

It's more like can a best picture win best picture if it was shot on a shitty old handheld camera that only shot in SD, for no particular reason? I'd say no.
Have you heard of The Artist? But then again Hollywood is full of fat white guys so you may be on to something. /s

seabass0

Welp, I'm definitely gonna buy this tomorrow, but I'm afraid I won't be able to play it for a while...because...Bloodborne.

yuraya

Great reviews.

First Ori and now this. The year is off to a great start as far as Metroidvania's go. Will pick this up later in the year on Steam.

Zornack

Oh, for some reason I thought this was releasing simultaneously on PS4, Vita and PC. I am caught up in BB and PoE right now so maybe I'll wait for a Vita or PC release, but this game does look amazing... I'll probably end up buying it tomorrow.

baphomet

I will soon. So perhaps I am wrong. But perfect scores to me indicate a perfect game, or a near perfect game.

A game that on purpose hobbles its graphics to look retro, is not perfect. It looks like crap, much of it. Some of it looks cool, but a lot doesn't. Since it doesn't look good, forget perfect, I think perfect scores for such a game are excessive.

Perfect scores should be used more sparingly. I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

And we all judge graphics. We all have a line the sand for such games. If it were even more rudimentary, would people still be impressed? No. So my line in the sand is just different from yours, but we both have it. So at the end of the day we are the same. But I am perhaps just more honest, and less beholden to nostalgia, and more concerned with 'good'.

Gameplay is far more important than graphics.

What does race have to do with anything? Such a fucking dumb comment.

This is awesome to see so many good scores for this game. Nice vindication for the dude who worked on it (Tom Happ), I'm totally gonna pick this up now and I believe it'll be free to download to the vita when he gets that out (cross buy, I'm positive he said was gonna happen).

Fjordson

Dan Ryckert from Giant Bomb has also been really talking it up on his twitter. Says it's his favourite game this year so far and "a lot more than a clone of Super Metroid".

Not a review, but just some more impressions for peeps.

Can't wait, the demo got my hyped right away. It really brings back that original NES Metroid vibes.

Not that it matters, but the name does sound like "random words that sound cool together, but are really complete nonsense". Are they on the verge of discovering a new mathematical property or something? Honestly, it sounds like one of those random video game name generator titles from that thread the other day.

PopFisto

Banned
What are you on about.

And lol at "more honest, and less beholden to nostalgia".

So a game you haven't played isn't perfect because you don't like the graphics, and assume that anyone who does rate it perfect is not doing so because it's good, but because of nostalgia....lol. Wut?

But good doesn't translate into almost universal perfect scores. I think this might be one of the absolute best reviewed game in the past few years.

Look, I'm actually also excited for the game. Believe it or not, I am getting a PS4 for this game. But, you can't deny the appeal of this game is heavily steeped in nostalgia. All the reviews admit how great it feels to play the true spiritual successor of Metroidvania. How they're transported back to their glorious youth.

If this game is so good, then why are youngsters, with no connection to such games, find this game flat out crap? They're coming at it from a different point of view, one that is just as valid, and one without any nostalgia for the past. I don't agree with that point of view, but the people who will get the most out of this game will definitely be because of nostalgia.

I just think people are allowing nostalgia to cloud the games extremely obvious short comings.

Gestault

For someone with this reaction, and not having played the game, you really come off poorly here. Your take-your-pick approach to overt prejudice doesn't help.

hawk2025

But good doesn't translate into almost universal perfect scores. I think this might be one of the absolute best reviewed game in the past few years.

Look, I'm actually also excited for the game. Believe it or not, I am getting a PS4 for this game. But, you can't deny the appeal of this game is heavily steeped in nostalgia. All the reviews admit how great it feels to play a good Metroidvania. How they're transported back to their youth.

If this game is so good, then why are youngsters, with no connection to such games, find this game flat out crap? I don't agree with that point of view, but the people who will get the most out of this game will definitely be because of nostalgia.

I just think people are allowing nostalgia to could the games extremely obvious short comings.

You are embarrassing yourself.

Wow.

For one, read this from Jeremy Parish:
It would be easy to write off Axiom Verge as just another grab for Gen X nostalgia, another shallow fake-retro game lazily using 8-bit graphics without rhyme or reason. The game adeptly captures the look of NES favorites like Metroid and Blaster Master, and like so many other indie platformers, it falls directly into the "metroidvania" category. But unlike the vast majority of its peers, Axiom Verge looks and plays the way it does for very specific reasons. It comes not from a place of ill-informed nostalgia or simply an attempt to cash in on a trend, but rather because it's driven by a desire to capture a fleeting, ephemeral sensation of experiencing the unknown. It looks "old" because, weirdly enough, that was the best way to accomplish something new.

Axiom Verge offers the freshest, most inventive take on old-school visuals and metroidvania play design I've seen in years. With all due respect to beautiful and clever games like Guacamelee or Ori and the Blind Forest, those adventures were built on a safe, predictable formula. Their designers clearly broke down the structures and mechanics of Super Metroid — understandably, as Super Metroid was a masterpiece — and as a result, they felt terribly predictable in their rhythms. You spot out-of-the-way areas or obstructions and can guess which power you'll be collecting to bypass those obstacles and, quite often, the order in which they'll be appearing. Not so with Axiom Verge.

Liamc723

Look, I'm actually also excited for the game. Believe it or not, I am getting a PS4 for this game. But, you can't deny the appeal of this game is heavily steeped in nostalgia. All the reviews admit how great it feels to play the true spiritual successor of Metroidvania. How they're transported back to their glorious youth.

If this game is so good, then why are youngsters, with no connection to such games, find this game flat out crap? They're coming at it from a different point of view, one that is just as valid, and one without any nostalgia for the past. I don't agree with that point of view, but the people who will get the most out of this game will definitely be because of nostalgia.

I just think people are allowing nostalgia to cloud the games extremely obvious short comings.

I am 20 years old, I grew up with 3D games and I am excited to play Axiom Verge.

Fjordson

Huh? It's sitting at 88 on Metacritic with 18 reviews. There are recent games that are in the mid 90's with way more reviews.

It's reviewing pretty well, hardly perfect, and is not "one of the absolute best"scoring games of the past few years. All of this is much ado about nothing.

Well, age is obviously a prerequisite for nostalgia. Metroid-related nostalgia, at least. Other than that, his comment is horseshit.
Nostalgia just means you yearn for something from the past. It doesn't mean you necessarily have to have been in that past yourself. Plenty of people get nostalgic for the "good old days" of game design and want to see a return to it.

What? Where? Who?

Fjordson

I didn't know the guy who made this also did the soundtrack. That's impressive. Sounds really good based on snippets from bandcamp.

Top Bottom