• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge Review Thread

What in the high holy gay hell?!

That soundtrack is motherfucking LIFE. Pump that shit in da club.

I was worried that this game would simply be a clone of the metroidvania curse that has plagued indie gaming for the longest time...and whilst it does sort of seem to be the case, game looks fantastic.

Cities Skylines
Pillars of Eternity
Bloodborne

All released in March, all massive time sinks. Each game has around 50-100 hours of content minimum.
All 90+ metacritic as well.

Ugh, don't remind me about Cities. I've lost many great cities due to OCD.

I should jump on Pillars too. But my WRPG backlog is massive. =(

cakely

Wow. :)

Some great review scores, there, and a metroidvania game is right up my alley.

I now have way, way too many games to play.

Fury451

Banned
I will soon. So perhaps I am wrong. But perfect scores to me indicate a perfect game, or a near perfect game.

A game that on purpose hobbles its graphics to look retro, is not perfect. It looks like crap, much of it. Some of it looks cool, but a lot doesn't. Since it doesn't look good, forget perfect, I think perfect scores for such a game are excessive.

Perfect scores should be used more sparingly. I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

And we all judge graphics. We all have a line the sand for such games. If it were even more rudimentary, would people still be impressed? No. So my line in the sand is just different from yours, but we both have it. So at the end of the day we are the same. But I am perhaps just more honest, and less beholden to nostalgia, and more concerned with 'good'.

What are you on about.

And lol at "more honest, and less beholden to nostalgia".

So a game you haven't played isn't perfect because you don't like the graphics, and assume that anyone who does rate it perfect is not doing so because it's good, but because of nostalgia....lol. Wut?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow

Amazing reviews. Will be picking this up for sure once I get through some of my backlog. I need more Metroidvania in my life.

SerTapTap

So how long is a play through of this game?

First playthrough took me
12 hours
according to ingame timer. Being a metroidvania it goes lower, there's a trophy for a
4 hour long
run which is difficult but possible for anyone with decent skills and through knowledge of the game. It's very replayable being a Metroidvania and all, I've beaten it 3 times now. Has trophies to encourage certain styles of replay.

Has a platinum BTW. ...do not buy it expecting a free platinum. It requires mastery of the game.

Unkle

As I've said in my review (the PSU one) it's absolutely stunning, and really does scratch that old-school Metroid itch that PlayStation gamers have had for the longest time. It was refreshing, too, code was sent out back near the start of March so everyone had a lot of time with it to formulate proper opinions.

One of my Top 10 most anticipated of this year. I'll pick it up later when I'm able to give it my undivided attention. Bloodborne is going to consume my free time for awhile yet.

This one was guaranteed gold from the first trailer I saw of it. Incredible

Godcannon

I can't get enough of these Retro Indie games. They put so much amazing work into them. Towerfall and Jamestown were Ace. Definitely adding this to my collection. Takes me back to the nes glory days.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I will soon. So perhaps I am wrong. But perfect scores to me indicate a perfect game, or a near perfect game.

A game that on purpose hobbles its graphics to look retro, is not perfect. It looks like crap, much of it. Some of it looks cool, but a lot doesn't. Since it doesn't look good, forget perfect, I think perfect scores for such a game are excessive.

Perfect scores should be used more sparingly. I thinks its because most of these reviewers are overaged fat and white, so they are letting nostalgia get in the way.

And we all judge graphics. We all have a line the sand for such games. If it were even more rudimentary, would people still be impressed? No. So my line in the sand is just different from yours, but we both have it. So at the end of the day we are the same. But I am perhaps just more honest, and less beholden to nostalgia, and more concerned with 'good'.

Well, you're wrong in your interpretation of how scores work and literally anyone who assigns scores for a living would tell you so.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
How dare another great game that I want very much be released while I'm still barely halfway through Bloodborne. Why is my life so hard???

And I stopped playing Revelations 2 when Bloodborne came out. What a month.

First playthrough took me
12 hours
according to ingame timer. Being a metroidvania it goes lower, there's a trophy for a
4 hour long
run which is difficult but possible for anyone with decent skills and through knowledge of the game. It's very replayable being a Metroidvania and all, I've beaten it 3 times now. Has trophies to encourage certain styles of replay.

Has a platinum BTW. ...do not buy it expecting a free platinum. It requires mastery of the game.

Awesome. 12 hours sounds good, and I don't care about trophies anyway since I rather gamerscore.

Applebite

It has cross buy, right? If not I'll wait for the Vita release. Between this, Shovel Knight and Titan Souls, it looks like I'm gonna have a reason to give my Vita some time.

SerTapTap

gonna have to put "crossbuy" in 72 point font for the OT

I'm actually somewhat surprised that a Steam release is probably going to happen before the Vita one.

The Vita one is delayed by programming, the PC one by contract. It all depends on how nice Sony is willing to be with the timed exclusivity--if June is the target, pretty friendly IMO.

Important to remember, this is literally one guy, and he recently quit his day job due to the Pub Fund upfront royalties thing. He decided not to delay the PS4 version to put them out at the same time because this is his income now and he doesn't have Curve or anything to port it.

What is WITH the Vita one? I tweeted the director once early this month and asked if there was a slated release estimate for Vita and he said "not really."

Tom's pretty frank, don't take it for him not caring. He fixed bugs during the embargo very quickly. Last I've heard is a couple/few months.

Sigh... we still have Shovel Knight soon!

This was all I got. But with the amount of Vita inquiries in this thread, maybe another tweet would yield a closer estimate.

zWJnNob.jpg

The Vita one is delayed by programming, the PC one by contract. It all depends on how nice Sony is willing to be with the timed exclusivity--if June is the target, pretty friendly IMO.

Important to remember, this is literally one guy, and he recently quit his day job due to the Pub Fund upfront royalties thing. He decided not to delay the PS4 version to put them out at the same time because this is his income now and he doesn't have Curve or anything to port it.

Tom's pretty frank, don't take it for him not caring. He fixed bugs during the embargo very quickly. Last I've heard is a couple/few months.

This is valuable information, and thank you.

gonna have to put "crossbuy" in 72 point font for the OT

Okay, cool :)

squadr0n

If you've been paying attention to Kickstarter, you'd know that there are a ton of indie Metroidvanias coming soon.

That's what I mean. Is the market about to be flooded after this games success. It's been a known factor that this game would do well but after this are people still going to want to play these games?

Z3M0G

Arg! I manages to stop listening to the sountrack at the beginning of track 5, but I restarted it and now I'm at Track 6...

Help! I must stop and save it for the playthrough...

Well. At least jeff has a girlfriend. I bet you don't.

Games are delivering. Nice to see, I was always on the fence about this game, despite liking Metroid.

Guess I'll be getting it then.

Top Bottom