• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 runs at 720p native [DICE: Incorrect]

Spongebob

Banned
I'll copy my post since the other thread seems to have died.

After all the PC vs. Console debates, the tech discussions, the endless cycles of graphics, pricing, and conveniences, and we're still using 720p on next-gen consoles. Other games can't even seem to maintain 30 fps, although Dead Rising 3 may be suffering from something else altogether. The reality of the situation seems clear, of course once the platforms hit, Digital Foundry's analysis articles will make it apparent.

I applaud them for sticking to 60 fps, this is one of the things I've noticed more developers take interest in, and I sincerely hope it does become a standard on consoles.
This is the only game that we're aware of that's 720p on next-gen. Stop pretending as if this is some sort of trend atm.

lemme drop $500 on a console and enjoy that wonderful blurry ass 720p upscaled picture on my 55'' 1080p tv, in 2013. so excited!

Yep 720p looks like crap even worst if you sit near your TV .
Even if they could not hit 1080p the should at least be able to go above 720p .

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This.

DICE made a decision for maximum eye candy and against image quality if this true. I'm not okay with this. People will see 720p footage of BF4 on youtube and say "AWESOME!!!" and when they play it on their 1080p TV it will most likely look like shit. Upscaling is shit.

Clearly not enough hUMA... :p

RetroStu

Banned
Until we had confirmation, i bet hardly anyone would of expected a powerhouse game like Battleifeld 4 to run at 60fps on next gen consoles but it does, people need to remember that. Give me 60fps over 1080p 30fps anyday of the week.

iMax

Not sure why people on here are judging the decisions made by the developers. They know more than you, and they've made a qualified decision based upon their vision and the technical scope they have.

JordanN

Banned
lemme drop $500 on a console and enjoy that wonderful blurry ass 720p upscaled picture on my 55'' 1080p tv, in 2013. so excited!
Exactly.

If you want 720p, just buy a PS3/360 or don't upgrade if you do own one.

If you're dropping more money on newer consoles, I don't think it's asking for much to expect much better graphics. That includes IQ.

This is the only game that we're aware of that' 720p on next-gen. Stop pretending as if this is some sort of trend atm.

Launch is going to be incredibly interesting as the multiplatform comparisons come out and rendering resolution and direct capture screens/footage is available.

Zemm

Still, the dream of 1080p on next gen consoles was gonna die anyway over the years, sooner or later it was bound to happen. Most tittles will be 720p in a few years.

This is what I feel too and is a good reason to hold off and wait and see for now because I refuse to play any games at 720p now.

velociraptor

The only footage is on PC.

A single 7850 won't maintain 1080p/60 in multiplayer with any details cranked beyond mediums for the most part - I play tested it this way originally.

DICE are a joke now? Perhaps they should tweet that these consoles have "a weak, slow CPU"
My 6950 maintains 50-60FPS, 1080p, high settings (except ultra textures), medium post process AA, no MSAA. This is in multiplayer.

I am not exactly a 'tech geek' like many here. But from what I have garnered, many tech orientated members suggested the 32 ROPS should allow the PS4 push for 1080p without any issue. What gives? How does the CPU play a role in providing 1080p? It doesn't make sense.

KOHIPEET

First it was "no, no 30fps!!! give us 60!" then after confirmation of 60 fps "yeah yeah"

Now, after confirmation of 720p "booo, boo, wtf is this shit?"

Some people just can't be satisfied.

Personally I would rather enjoy a beautiful 1080p 30fps BF4 on PS4 with, my 200hz LED TV any time. It makes 30 fps a lot more fluid, and graphics can stay more detailed sacrificed.

I blame COD for this damn 60 fps histeria!

Damn you COD!!

*Running away

Mr Swine

Banned
Isn't it here where he slow CPU starts to rear its ugly head since games like BF3/4 need a fast CPU to handle 64 players?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I decided to myself that I wont buy any shooters that aren't 1080P, 60FPS and using dedicated servers this gen.

I would prefer they sacrifice any effect to hit this. Of course lots of folk wont mind this one little bit and that's fine as well.

Putty

Well, if the IQ is really good, and it can do a great job of keeping jaggies to a minimum, and its 60fps constant, no tearing....Then as a launch title i'd say that would be a very good start to the next gen.

Seanspeed

Banned
Also, those benchmarks are made in singleplayer where the CPU and GPU baggage are FARRRRRRRRRRR less intensive.
Yup. Something a lot of people never take into consideration.

This is a big, demanding, gorgeous game. 64 players at 60fps with high image quality is a lot to ask of a machine, even a decent PC.

JJD

People need top stop saying that they are ok with this.

I am absolutely OK with this. 1080P would be better obviously but I love the game and in the end I don't really care if it's 1080 or 720 considering we are getting 64 players and the full maps.

This information will cause a shitstorm on dedicated gaming forums and blogs, but most people won't bother with it.

Sorry but that's the reality.

StevieP

Banned
I decided to myself that I wont buy any shooters that aren't 1080P, 60FPS and using dedicated servers this gen.

I would prefer they sacrifice any effect to hit this. Of course lots of folk wont mind this one little bit and that's fine as well.

You'd better start saving for a gaming PC now, then.

kharma45

Isn't it here where he slow CPU starts to rear its ugly head since games like BF3/4 need a fast CPU to handle 64 players?

Possibly. Jaguar is at the end of the day a ULV processor that will be inside stuff like tablets and netbooks, albeit in a quad core flavour.

don't know why people are surprised. did you forget they are developing with current gen consoles in mind.

Also I don't know whats up with all the BF3 comparisons, BF4 is obviously more technically advanced that BF3

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

No?

The CPU here is handling 64 players at 16ms/frame just fine if it's 60fps.

The resolution those 64 players are rendering at isn't relevant to the CPU load.

How much would a person who is perfectly happy with Netflix quality streaming notice this (me)? I can definitely tell the difference in FPS but native and upscaled resolutions? I understand that everyone is different.

Honest question

jet1911

Exactly.

If you want 720p, just buy a PS3/360 or don't upgrade if you do own one.

If you're dropping more money on newer consoles, I don't think it's asking for much to expect much better graphics. That includes IQ.

Does that include 40 more players per map too? BF4 will look much better on PS4/X1 than on 360/PS3, come on now.

velociraptor

Well, if the IQ is really good, and it can do a great job of keeping jaggies to a minimum, and its 60fps constant, no tearing....Then as a launch title i'd say that would be a very good start to the next gen.
720p never looks good. It looks like garbage.

StevieP

Banned
Doing the same:

According to a user of a German Battlefield fansite who had a chat with a very well known DICE executive, BF4 demo at Gamescom runs on the following system:

Motherboard: Asus 990FX Sabertooth
CPU: AMD FX8350
Graphics Card: 2x AMD Radeon HD7970
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1866
HDD: Corsair Neutron GTX 120 GB SSD
PSU: Corsair GS800
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
Case: Corsair C70 Black

It's the offical BF4 PC, you can buy it for $1,900.

This is slightly lower than the 3-4000 pcs they were using at e3, but still far more powerful than these consoles.

BOOM there it is.

Sign of things to come.

I wonder if this has to do with the Cpu being so weak and bottle necking the gpu.

Bf4 is essentially just Bf3 reskinned even my gtx 580 runs Bf3 at 1440p with everything on ultra at 60 fps.

Then again I also got a highly overclocked i5 2500k.

battlefield%202560.png

My 670 has better benchmarks than your 580 and I never hit 60fps at 2560x1440p in ultra in multiplayer. Average is 40-45fps.

riflen

Calling it now; consoles will have lots of titles running at 30fps until the heat death of the universe, or until we have displays and controllers that just don't work convincingly at 33ms frametime. The former is more likely.

Rainy Dog

I'm surprised they've had to sacrifice the resolution actually.

BF3 scaled so well on PC that my 7850 could run it comfortably at 1080p and 60fps by just turning off MSAA and injecting SMAA.

Surely even the equivalent of PC medium settings for BF4 should've netted them 1080p and 60fps on the PS4/XB1 and would've been perfectly acceptable.

Novak

Doesnt bother me much since i will play on my bedroom tv which is old 720p Bravia. :)
But i understand why people are upset since i hooked up PC to 1080p

question: if game is 720p native and then upscaled to 1080p how will that work on 720p TV?
720p upscaled to 1080p by the console and downscaled back to 720p by the TV? How will that look?!?
Or consoles will be smart enough to just output native 720p?

KemoSabe

Yay native HD ready resolution...
Is this nextgen or what?
Whatever, kz will be full HD and 60fps, so it is possible(if you're good...)
Shameful for the monstrously big company ea

RetroStu

Banned
After playing 1080p games on my PC, viewing 720p games is not too dissimilar to having glaucoma. I play games on a 40" LCD TV.

Well i suppose this is the time that my 32 inch tv has an advantage over the bigger one because i can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on mine.

Top Bottom