• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 runs at 720p native [DICE: Incorrect]

GodofWine

As long as a game is 720+, I dont think it matters at all, assuming its a console game, with a viewing distance of about 9ft or greater, because you cant freaking tell.

Find one of the many side by side 720p v 1080p pics on the web, and then back up an additional foot, then another, soon, you cant tell.

For most 'couch' gamers, 1080p is a waste of your consoles power, 720p @60fps should be standard, and target.

It matters on PC cause you are usually 2ft from the screen.

Ok, continue with your lynching of DICE. ;)

Grinchy

Banned
You think they can maintain the same graphical quality and FPS whilst increasing the resolution by more than 2x?

I doubt battleifeld 5 will use some magic coding language which will allow that.

You're right, this will be the first generation where the output we see from a multiplatform, cross-gen launch game is indicative of what we should expect for the entire generation.

Arulan

Doing the same:

According to as user of a German Battlefield fansite who had a chat with a very well known DICE executive, BF4 demo at Gamescom runs on the following system:

Motherboard: Asus 990FX Sabertooth
CPU: AMD FX8350
Graphics Card: 2x AMD Radeon HD7970
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1866
HDD: Corsair Neutron GTX 120 GB SSD
PSU: Corsair GS800
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
Case: Corsair C70 Black

It's the offical BF4 PC, you can buy it for $1,900.

DICE mentioned the game performing similar to BF3's requirements on PCs. The notion that you would need that build to run this game at 1080p 60fps is ridiculous, almost as absurd as the price.

I remember one of your posts in another thread stating you actively defend consoles against some notion of PC elitism, I may be incorrect however. If this is such the case, the consoles should be able to stand on their own, and therefore be criticized when news such as this is brought up. 720p is not an acceptable standard in late 2013, especially for next-gen consoles.

Yay native HD ready resolution...
Is this nextgen or what?
Whatever, kz will be full HD and 60fps, so it is possible(if you're good...)
Shameful for the monstrously big company ea

Your expectation of a flat 60fps at 1080p for killzone is extremely generous. Given the footage we have seen so far....

I can imagine this will be disappointing to informed gamers, but most console Battlefield users will be oblivious of the fact and I kind of just confirmed this by asking a friend who likes playing Battlefield on his Xbox. He only expressed excitement.

When I told him about the 720p limitation his reaction was: "But have you seen the screenshots or the trailer? The game looks amazing!"

At the end of the day, I don't think it will matter immensely.

Liamario

Banned
This is disappointing. Perhaps they are hoping to improve the situation before launch, hence the lack of clarification.

madmackem

Doesnt bother me much since i will play on my bedroom tv which is old 720p Bravia. :)
But i understand why people are upset since i hooked up PC to 1080p

question: if game is 720p native and then upscaled to 1080p how will that work on 720p TV?
720p upscaled to 1080p by the console and downscaled back to 720p by the TV? How will that look?!?
Or consoles will be smart enough to just output native 720p?
You will select 720p in the console settings otherwise you will have two forms of scaling, console up scaling and tv down scaling.

Doesnt bother me much since i will play on my bedroom tv which is old 720p Bravia. :)

question: if game is 720p native and then upscaled to 1080p how will that work on 720p TV?
720p upscaled to 1080p by the console and downscaled back to 720p by the TV? How will that look?!?
It will work the same way as the 360/Wii U, it will scale the game to whatever resolution you have set as the output so in your case the game wouldn't be scaled at all since you'd set 720p as output due to having a 720p TV.

Smokey

As long as a game is 720+, I dont think it matters at all, assuming its a console game, with a viewing distance of about 9ft or greater, because you cant freaking tell.

Find one of the many side by side 720p v 1080p pics on the web, and then back up an additional foot, then another, soon, you cant tell.

For most 'couch' gamers, 1080p is a waste of your consoles power, 720p @60fps should be standard, and target.

it's 2013 dude.

really this is more of an indictment of the garbage low tier specs in both of these consoles imo

Rashid

Banned

That's downsampling mate, your BF4 will look better then everyone else's.

Sami+

I'm not really heart-broken. I've been on 720p almost all of last-gen, and only just got a 1080p display. 60 fps is a much bigger deal in my opinion.

Seanspeed

Banned
No?

The CPU here is handling 64 players at 16ms/frame just fine if it's 60fps.

The resolution those 64 players are rendering at isn't relevant to the CPU load.
I imagine there's more to compute for the CPU than just the player models themselves.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
On the other hand, if you're that concerned with resolution, you really should look into joining us on the PC side. ;)

The vast majority of HDTVs are 1080p.

HDTVs are 60hz standard in America.

It is simple logic to understand why a game on a mainstream consummer device should be 1080p @ 60hz.

PTG

720p on paper sounds awful and I'm disappointed the next gen BF4 won't be 1080p. But, from my understanding, image quality can vary a lot depending on how much RAM devs allocate for textures. BF3 (1280x704) and next gen BF4 (1280x720) shouldn't have similar image quality because the amount of RAM devs can use for textures has increased by 10x.

Norml

Major bummer :(

If player count matters at all I would rather have it lowered,got Planetside and its 3000 players anyway :p

They should have tried a dynamic resolution maybe.

Anteater

It's really not that bad if they're going for 60fps, sacrifice will need to be made if you want technically advanced graphics and non corridor maps.

Of course it would be nice if the consoles are capable of running that demo we saw at 60fps 1080p, it looked awesome as shit.

GodofWine

it's 2013 dude.

really this is more of an indictment of the garbage low tier specs in both of these consoles imo

Dude, your eyes still cant see 1080p vs 720p from where most people play console games.

We didn't all get new improved eyes in 2013. Dude.

Edit, try it, go to google images, search 720p v 1080p, take a couple steps back from your PC, the differences are nearly imperceptible. Then imagine it in motion, you can't tell.

Smokey

Dude, your eyes still cant see 1080p vs 720p from where most people play console games.

yes tell me how my two eyes work and what they can see.

go on.

edit:

Edit, try it, go to google images, search 720p v 1080p, take a couple steps back from your PC, the differences are nearly imperceptible. Then imagine it in motion, you can't tell.

oh you're one of these types. i see. carry on

jaosobno

Considering that I played my PS3 on a native 1080p monitor and that I was planning to hook up PS4 to the same display, this just made me decide never to buy this game. I've put up with years of atrocious subHD on PS3 and I was so happy when everyone said games are 1080p on next gen (I wouldn't mind even if they were slightly lower) but, instead, DICE and EA decided to kick me in the nuts.

This is not fucking okay and I am not fine with this, you shouldn't be either!

RetroStu

Banned
it's 2013 dude.

I maybe wrong but all other next gen games i believe are 1080p, i know people are upset about this but its only Battlefield thats 720p and a Battlefield thats a launch game so lets keep this in perspective. If it was COD that was only 720p then fair enough.

JJD

Best post of this thread yet.

Pop

BF3 on ps3 is easily one of the better looking games on consoles, you guys are crazy. I'm sure BF4 will look amazing on next gen consoles. Some of you need to stop gaming on abnormally large TVs(get a monitor) when playing first person shooters, come on son.

Damn, I wasn't expecting that XD

I should have known better, if it really sounds too good to be true, when the game looks better than any other shooter on next gen so far, on top of running on 60fps, it's probably because it is indeed too good to be true XD

It should still be a visual marvel at 720p, but eh... That's really disappoint to hear this early in the gen...

Smokey

I maybe wrong but all other next gen games i believe are 1080p, i know people are upset about this but its only Battlefield thats 720p and a Battlefield thats a launch game so lets keep this in perspective. If it was COD that was only 720p then fair enough.

those games are not on the scale of bf4 mp. 64p is a huge strain on a cpu. On PC you need at least a 2500k overclocked to 4.7ghz or so to remove any bottleneck from BF3 MP. And a 2500k sits back and laughs at these tablet CPUs in the PS4 and X1 (it's also 3 years old)

Xyber

Bring on all the 720/30fps multiplatform games, me as a PC player welcome it! Make games as good looking as possible on console and they will look amazing at 1080p+ on PC.

Only kinda joking

But those PS4 exclusives better be at 1080p, each and every one of them.

velociraptor

Thanks to this games resolution, I have lost all interest I had in this game.

I was really looking forward to BF4 - moreso than any other 'next-gen' game. But if they can't get something as simple as the resolution right then there is no way I will part with my money with this company.

Yes, I could get this game on PC and enjoy it at 1080p, but I hate playing games with a mouse and keyboard. This sucks.

brobban

Although I ofcourse would have preferred 1080 above 720, in the end I still think 60 fps is worth the trade off.

But it's kinda funny that 11 years ago I played Battlefield 1942 @ 1280*1024 60hz, with 4xMSAA..

Seanspeed

Banned

You can definitely tell in most cases. But I don't think most people will be able to tell a 1080p upscaled image from a native 1080p image that well. Some will, sure, but everybody saying it will 'look like garbage' are seriously overdramatizing, I'm sure, although some people will inevitably have ridiculous high standards.

It will still look a ton better than current-gen BF3, image quality-wise as resolution isn't everything. Unless you've got a very perceptive eye for this stuff and are extremely picky, I'm sure the game will still look amazing.

Novak

It will work the same way as the 360/Wii U, it will scale the game to whatever resolution you have set as the output so in your case the game wouldn't be scaled at all since you'd set 720p as output due to having a 720p TV.

You will select 720p in the console settings otherwise you will have two forms of scaling, console up scaling and tv down scaling.

Hopefully it is like that.
But what if game does upscaling internally (in engine) and then adds 1080p HUD? Then i am screwed :/ it will look like low bitrate MPEG

StevieP

Banned
Thanks to this games resolution, I have lost all interest I had in this game.

I was really looking forward to BF4 - moreso than any other 'next-gen' game. But if they can't get something as simple as the resolution right then there is no way I will part with my money with this company.

Yes, I could get this game on PC and enjoy it at 1080p, but I hate playing games with a mouse and keyboard. This sucks.

You're going to hate this generation

Top Bottom