• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 - Xbox One Impressions + Bonus XB1 Controller Impressions & Vid

Its literally going gold this month....They'll be working hard on it, but remember it takes 4 weeks to sign, press and distribute a AAA game.

About the Dev kits, that's not an issue, games will still be shown on dev kits next E3 on both PS4 and XB1, It's just the way it works.

About the controller? I've heard it's a step back form the x360 controller, but it's still a very good controller. though I've only heard that form friends, Haven't had hands on myself yet.

That's why it's likely that the Xbox ONE build they showed is very old. Since they are so busy finishing the game, I don't think they have time to make new updated demos with the latest code.

Ty4on

I don't get people who use their index fingers for both trigger and bumper. I understand the claw, and I use middle fingers on triggers/index on bumpers, but using one finger for both makes no sense to me when your middle fingers aren't being used for anything.

It's just so much more comfortable on the Xbox 360 controller holding your middle fingers under the controller and you don't get any precision using the middle fingers on the triggers.

RoKKeR

That's why it's likely that the Xbox ONE build they showed is very old. Since they are so busy finishing the game, I don't think they have time to make new updated demos with the latest code.

Which was my point exactly. Contrary to popular belief it takes a lot of time and effort to make a stage/floor demo for these tradeshows, probably something DICE wasn't willing to do multiple times over during crunch time.

KoopaTheCasual

You can have an agenda and still talk about shitty games on your preferred platform.

And he says BF4 only looks slightly better on Xbox One than the 360 version -- yeah sure it does. But then he followed that comment with "50% better." Which is it? Slightly or 50%?

So we're gonna ignore the fact that he shits on games on both consoles and say he "has an agenda" simply when you don't agree with his harsh opinions?

The technical underpinnings of CoD haven't changed in a decade. Sure, they'll splice in a thing or two, but it's still rocking those Quake tracers. I'll give DICE credit for trying to move the football forward with Frostbite 3. The beta melting machines has more to do with absolutely awful drivers and DirectX optimization than anything else. The consoles should be a smooth 60fps with relatively nice textures and lighting.

I've always preferred the guy who has a sensible plan, and executes it well, over the guy who shoots for the moon and comes up short.

There are even people with titans getting like 20fps lol

Lovely. Never change DICE.

MavFan619

Banned
Seemed harsh on the controller, as a pad fighting game player I would love to see if it's better than 360 controller for me.

lem0n

I'm glad I'm joining the PS camp this gen. I'm sad to abandon my friendslist of 8 years on XBL but MS just keeps fucking up. Apparently.

I'll save some judgement for when I actually use it myself. I hope it's not this bad, honestly

BTM

One of the issues with controller opinions is that coming into it, there was a ton of room for improvement that could be made on the DS3 while the 360 controller was already considered nearly perfect. So there's a much greater chance that people will be more easily impressed with the DS4 over the One controller because the improvements will be that much more noticeable. Since some people already feel the 360 pad is perfect, it'll take time to get used to the minor changes(improvements) on the new controller.

Mikey Jr.

Wow, sucks to hear about the Xbone controller. Seemed like a lot of time and money went into it and it didn't really pay off. They probably focused a lot of features and not a lot on ergonomics.

SHADES

Each his own I guess, I perform 10x better in shooters on my 360 than on my PS3 and I attribute a lot of that to the sticks :)

Same here, the tighter the better has always been my motto.

the DS3 IMO feels sloppy when aiming but then again I've only been using one for just over 4 months.

I brought a Razer onza TE last year and you can adjust the stick sensitivity on this pad & if it wasn't for the shoddy build quality that would be an awesome pad.

iJudged

Banned
It's an embarrassment this late in the game and they can't get it right as far as showcasing the games and final hardware out on the floor. Thanks for posting this. Also, I can't help but feel you were a tiny bit harsh towards the X controller. I have no doubt it will be excellent, even though I am still waiting for the gamestop to call me so I can preordered the ps4 and cancel the x1. MS managed to lose me, a guy who's been with them from the start, 10+ years. That alone speaks for its self considering I was pretty loyal and you could go as far to call me a fanboy. MS u truly messed up. How do you get me to keep the pre-order? Remove the Kinect and sell the Xbox One for $350. I'll buy it then considering that weak hardware.

Huh, BF4 is pretty much the only reason I'm thinking about getting a xbone at launch.
Might end up reconsidering if these impressions keep up...

Dice have never been very good at optimizing for consoles. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the PS4 version is shoddy too.

Why did AMD choose Dice to be at the forefront of their API maturation? These guys should have the biggest advantage come consoles, no? They're already doing "low-level" optimization for the PC.

Most of this stuff's over my head and I find it difficult to reconcile this.

One of the issues with controller opinions is that coming into it, there was a ton of room for improvement that could be made on the DS3 while the 360 controller was already considered nearly perfect. So there's a much greater chance that people will be more easily impressed with the DS4 over the One controller because the improvements will be that much more noticeable. Since some people already feel the 360 pad is perfect, it'll take time to get used to the minor changes(improvements) on the new controller.

One of the issues is that people do not understand opinions and states stupid shit as facts.

And where were yopu people after first hand-ons. They were mostly about what was worse compared to 360 controller. They did not call XBO controller shitty or anything but did you humans live in cave or something.

I do not even give a shit about comparasions to 360 controller as bad sticks and triggers is my biggest complain about 360 controller.

I do not know why i even wrote this. what the actual poop.

ps. this is general observation and rant. I do not understand aliens sometimes.

FYI, at PAX it seemed like the controller wasn't setup for BF4 at all. There was no autoaim etc, it seems like it was the pc version with the controller barely implemented.

I wouldn't blame the Xone's controller for this, at least without being sure.

•The controller is very, very, very unergonomical compared to X360. It's smaller, the feeling is kind of like you are using a DualShock3.
•The move distance of sticks is a little bit smaller, than the one in X360. I really thought about PS Vita sticks while playing.
•Bumpers are totally connected to triggers. There isn't any piece of plastic (like in DS4) in-between trigger and bumper (clearly seen on video I edited in) so in 30-40% maybe you would miss the trigger and hit the bumper.
•The vibration is a lot less than on X360.
•The D-Pad is deepened into controller and it's really awkward. As in X360, DS3, DS4 it's slightly above the surface of controller. So while you try to press it on XBO gamepad moving your left thumb down from left stick you hit nothing, then you have to spend a second to find d-pad and actually press it. Really strange.

Jesus, every single item on this list sounds awful.

eso76

I find it hard to believe xbone bf4 is slightly better looking than x360 bf3.

as for the pad, I even heard of people who like the ds3 better than 360's pad, so you really have to see for yourself.

iJudged

Banned
One of the issues is that people do not understand opinions and states stupid shit as facts.

And where were yopu people after first hand-ons. They were mostly about what was worse compared to 360 controller. They did not call XBO controller shitty or anything but did you humans live in cave or something.

I do not even give a shit about comparasions to 360 controller as bad sticks and triggers is my biggest complain about 360 controller.

Don't take it to the heart, you know how it is :D

I have always hated the 360 bumpers , but id take these impressions with a pinch of salt. Seems like different strokes for different folks more than anything.

1. Input lag will be fixed, no doubt.
2. Controller is fine I'm sure, haven't held it but I can't imagine they can mess it up too much.

The most important subject I believe is the graphics. I know it's a launch title, but the console version better not look like BF3 from current gen.

Bumhead

Banned
I played this at Eurogamer.

It was clearly an older build. Alpha, I think? Textures and image quality were absolutely appalling, although I'm sure being stood about 10 inches from a 42" HDTV didn't help.

I did however think the controller was fine. As someone who still regularly uses a 360 pad on PC, I was able to pick up the Xbone controller and not notice any downgrades. To be honest I think controllers are the very least issue of the new consoles. I think both are perfectly playable.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Running on dev-kits? Shouldn't they be using actual hardware at this point?

Nope. Every event like this has either test/ dev kits. If every machine had green disc then you run the risk of theft. It's happened before at e3.

Can't comment on BF4 as I have not seen it on Xbox One, but that is some crazy hyperbole about the controller. I was mainly a 360 gamer this gen, but will be a primary PS4 guy next gen and actually prefer the DS4 (I hated the DS3). With that said, the Xbox One pad is fine

DBT85

chill winston.

that over exaggeration.

I want to kiss you right now.

The game supports kinect for voice commands, leaning with your head behind the corners and some other stuff

Waiting for the inevitable pissed off people posting about getting shot because kinnect registered their movement as leaning head behind a corner.

"xbox throw grenade, grenade, throw the fucking grenade, xbox"

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The impressions line up with all the other negative ones ( of which there are plenty, you just have look for them ) but, confirms all of my thoughts of it from just me looking at it. It has a very odd thing going on and I don't know why they diverged so hard. Then again, I haven't gotten one in my hands. So completely disregard it.

Honestly, just wait for the controllers to hit your local Microsoft and Sony store and then go try them out.

This is the first time I've heard anyone complain about the Xbone controller. Is that a common complaint?
I've seen a few media outlets hands on impressions not really liking the cheap clickiness feeling of the bumpers as well as the close proximity of the bumpers and triggers.

lol, yea, I don't see the game shipping with that kind of input lag, so I'm pretty sure that's just a bad build.

I've never actually played any games with it, but I've held the Xbox One controller before, and it feels amazing.

I find it hard to believe xbone bf4 is slightly better looking than x360 bf3.

as for the pad, I even heard of people who like the ds3 better than 360's pad, so you really have to see for yourself.

Play the PC beta. Game seems not very optimized currently and it's a week old build. I get like 30-40FPS on high @1080p where in bf3 I was hovering at 60FPS with same settings. Also game seems to heavily rely on CPU which is not very powerful in next gen systems from what everyone is saying. Hopefully final product is better. I'm still not certain where I want to buy this game.

velociraptor

Play the PC beta. Game seems not very optimized currently and it's a week old build. I get like 30-40FPS on high @1080p where in bf3 I was hovering at 60FPS with same settings. Also game seems to heavily rely on CPU which is not very powerful in next gen systems from what everyone is saying. Hopefully final product is better. I'm still not certain where I want to buy this game.
Have you tried medium settings? What kind of visual disparity do you have with medium vs high vs ultra?

watership

I loved the X1 controller at Fan Expo with Forza 5. That being said, the sticks did seem a bit looser. I know people who love the PS3 controller in all things over the 360 controller, so it's all a matter of taste I guess.

Amir0x

Banned
Wait I thought most people said the controller is great?

Is there a big camp that thinks the Xbox One controller is a backslide versus the 360 controller? That is worrying if there is... I was pretty excited about at least getting an Xbox One controller for the PC at some point...

I've seen a few media outlets hands on impressions not really liking the cheap clickiness feeling of the bumpers as well as the close proximity of the bumpers and triggers.

It's insanity that they spent $100 million on it. All they needed to do was fix the 360 controller's d-pad and they would have had perfection.

Top Bottom