• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best game to show a first date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arucardo

Let her play PT.

DefensiveFearlessAndalusianhorse.gif
shamelessly stolen from the funny pictures thread

esterk

Akibas trip: undead and undressed.

In all seriousness any of the new Mario games like 3d world would be good. Otherwise just stick to littlebigplanet or something.

Wasp

Play something with co-op or multiplayer or don't bother.

SM3DW
Lego [insert IP here]
Mario Kart 8
Skylanders Swap Force

BokehKing

Banned
Best advice I would say, when it's eventually time to bring her over your house (not the first night) you watch a movie on netflix, through your gaming system.

I wouldn't recommend bringing up gaming at all on a first date.

But, when trying to subtly 'convert' using 'gateway' games, I use Rhythm Heaven for DS. It's worked like 5 times.

I wouldn't even bring up the gaming thing at all unless she's texting you something like "What are you doing right now?". If a chick is into you she'll want to do what you're doing.

nbthedude

Don't try to "prove" how far gaming has come. Especially not on a first date. You are there to have fun and try to offer her a unique date experience.

On the other hand people saying never play games or implying she just wants to fuck on a first date are being overly cynical. If you pick the right game, it certainly can provide a unique, fun experience, even for non-gamers. Certainly more interesting than just the typical movie.

Here's one that would work well as a date game and offer a lot of fun: the new YOU DON'T KNOW JACK.

li bur

you can boot up your consoles and try that one linear browser experience called xhamster if i'm not mistaken.

i heard its quiet good.

L Thammy

I met my girlfriend when she served me at GAME.

I went there to buy Bayonetta and she asked if i was interested in pre-ordering anything. I wasn't, but enquired as to when the Awakening expansion was due for Dragon Age: Origins. She looked in her folder but it wasn't listed, and she suggested that i take a look at a gaming website/forum.

I told her i couldn't, as i had been banned. She wanted to know why, so i explained it was largely due to an experiment i was intending to run, demonstrating the effectiveness of dressing as your in-game character (both in terms of enjoyment and actual performance). She laughed as if i was joking, but i brought up a line-graph i had made on my phone explaining how dressing as Richtofen improved my score on Nazi Zombies.

She then tapped the Bayonetta case and asked what i intended to wear while playing. I told her that i was just on my way to Miss Selfidge to pick something up. She said she would like to see that, so i gave her my card. She called, we went out, and now many years later we are about to have a baby.

We played a bit of Left 4 Dead on our fifth date.

This is the best.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I am fairly sure OP doesn't intend to show games as the first activity at his place, heh.

Either way, I think that having some options if she suggests a play session is fair - and the "easy / multiplayer" route is the way to go for starters.

flozuki

Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball. And if there is some time left the Rambo-Game :D

If you really want to start a game with her you should use the force of Nintendo-cuteness.

You should focus all attention on her and if all goes well play games or at least video games on another date.

But if you have to play a game on the first date...

...play Shadow of the Colossus

The_Monk

I think many casual people play those games you mentioned. They are easy to access, they are on Facebook and are easy to pick, learn and get a little dead time runs faster for many, weather they are waiting on the bus to the work, between a break or while waiting for something. As you mentioned, she played Super Mario World back in the day but that does not make her interested in Video Games.

It seems that she showed some interest in you and after a couple of drinks at the bar, she wants to go to your place, to see your puppy. Not many girls are okay with going to the date's house in such early state of dating but she seems confident enough to do that, so it's okay. I'm saying this because for some, it's a bit risky to go to someone's house since well, she doesn't really know you.

But in this early stage of knowing someone you need to work harder. Videogames may seem your comfort zone but it might not be hers. Playing Candy crush and one game "back in the day" does not make her excited in videogames, in general and does not make her a kind of gamer, like you stated.

I don't know how old you are or how much experience you got in dating or in relationships as well how confident you are, but picking a subject both may be interested is far more doable than "hey, you played a game back in the day, let me show you how FAR games have come!" That can truly scare her and you may lost your chance for a second date. I can already see her, on another topic, in another forum, making a thread: "So I went on a date with this guy, I even gave him an easy tip stating something like oooooh I want to go to your place to, you know, see your puppy, but then, when we arrived he started showing me videogames... really, videogames! Because I told him I played a game like years ago and I play something on my iPhone he's showing me The Last of something and I'm feeling so out of my area, I don't even understand or like any of this, I just play a little puzzle game, every now and then, ugh, how embarrassing...! Is this what guys do in these days as a date?What happened to having a little creativity?"

Like someone posted, you need to have a plan in your house. A bit of wine, music or a nice desert waiting seems a good choice. Even better if you cooked yourself. It shows your talent and can bring to different topics to talk to. It also shows you took your time and dedication to create and make something for both to enjoy. Also, have some fresh flowers in your house, buy some little snacks to grab with your wine but nothing too strong, spicy, with cheese, etc. Having some books around can bring a topic about literature, art on the walls always grab someone's attention, a little chill-out music can help with the mood. Soft lights instead of bright lights are warm and can help make people more comfortable. Skip things like candles because they are far more intense and may give a sense of "trying to hard" to make a romantic place, instead, you can have a little incense stick burning. It's minimalist, small and having a place with a nice aroma intensifies your senses creating more desirable thoughts, conversations, etc. There is a lot of things you can have in common with her so don't grab her little interest in the most casual social game ever and use it as your comfort zone to start a conversation.

My good fellow GAFfer, there are many things I could go on or even giving you an advice but I already think I'm writing too much and I'm not sure if you agree or even read this so, best of luck. There's a time and place for everything and in my opinion when you state something like "While I have her there, it´s probably the perfect opportunity to show her how far gaming has come since Super Mario World." I just can't simply agree with that... at all, ever. There are many things that can go right on a first date, but also, many wrong, I wish you the best of luck and I hope one day you can find your soul mate.

EDIT: This is also a nice post:

OP, I think you'd be better served putting all of your effort into discovering her hobbies and interests instead of forcing your own into the equation. Calling her a sort of gamer based on her playing Candy Crush currently and Mario 20 years ago is a reach and wishful thinking on your part. Although gaming is clearly a big part of who you are, that you want to share with those close to you, I think you're better off trying to get to know each other more for now instead of forcing games into the equation so soon.

Also, I think she really might want to see your puppy, despite what others here have implied. Assuming she really just wants to have sex with you based the fact that she's willing to come back to your apartment is far worse and far more dangerous than assuming she likes video games. Be respectful and show a genuine interest in her life and I hope she does the same to you.

Peltz

Games that have actually worked for me on 1st or 2nd dates:

Beautiful Katamari
Journey
Super Mario Bros. (they love that I still have my original NES)
NSMBU

Stick to simple/fun games that are tangibly enjoyed in 5-10 minute bursts. She's not really coming to your house to play games even if she says she is. That's just a pretense for getting to know you and being alone with you, especially in your apartment/home. Be respectful, and don't plan on it being a very long gaming session.

Oh, and NEVER ask her to give any game a chance if she isn't feeling it at first. Be super flexible and respectful in light of what she says about the game selection.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I've been using OKCupid a bit lately, and I just got a date with a really cute girl lined up. We've sent several messages back and forth and chatted over the phone once. She plays Candy Crush Saga and Words with Friends on her iPhone, and she said she liked Super Mario World back in the day, so it looks like she´s kind of a gamer.

So on Friday we´re going to a bar in the neighborhood. She said she wants to see the puppy I have in one of my profile pics (I got a puppy like two months ago), so we´re going to come back to my apartment after the bar.

While I have her there, it´s probably the perfect opportunity to show her how far gaming has come since Super Mario World. What would be a good game for this? Originally I thought The Last of Us, but she doesn´t like zombies (she told me she gets scared by The Walking Dead), so that one is probably out, even though it´s probably the highest achievement we´ve seen in the art. So what else might work?
LIunGoT.gif

Danielsan

Sorry man, hate to crush your dreams, but the last thing you want to do on a first date is show her your games. Have drink and talk, or go out and do something fun together.

Help GAF, I'm getting married next year and can't decide what console to bring with us to the hotel for our wedding night. FWIW I don't think I'd be able to get away with bringing more than two.

Cheers

Freeman

Banned
None is clearly the right answer here.

But if you are really into spreading the gospel, maybe you should prepare a 30min presentation about how games have evolved in the last 15 years and finish it by offering her a selection of games that best illustrate where games are today. If she plays Candy Crush I think she is a good prospect, who knows, you might end up getting lucky an convincing her to get a PS4, WiiU or building her own PC.

A dancing game is the only one that would have any chance of getting anywhere. I know a guy that had positive results inviting girls to play Dance Central whit him.

I met my girlfriend when she served me at GAME.

I went there to buy Bayonetta and she asked if i was interested in pre-ordering anything. I wasn't, but enquired as to when the Awakening expansion was due for Dragon Age: Origins. She looked in her folder but it wasn't listed, and she suggested that i take a look at a gaming website/forum.

I told her i couldn't, as i had been banned. She wanted to know why, so i explained it was largely due to an experiment i was intending to run, demonstrating the effectiveness of dressing as your in-game character (both in terms of enjoyment and actual performance). She laughed as if i was joking, but i brought up a line-graph i had made on my phone explaining how dressing as Richtofen improved my score on Nazi Zombies.

She then tapped the Bayonetta case and asked what i intended to wear while playing. I told her that i was just on my way to Miss Selfidge to pick something up. She said she would like to see that, so i gave her my card. She called, we went out, and now many years later we are about to have a baby.

We played a bit of Left 4 Dead on our fifth date.

Brilliant with a touch of insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom