• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best game to show a first date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Literally none. You would be surprised at how unenjoyable video games can be for the uninitiated. This was an actual conversation I had with my girlfriend when playing SM 3D World.

Me: You don't have to jump, just press up on the wall to climb.
*she keeps jumping off the wall as cat Peach*
Me: You can just press up.
Her: What's "up"?
Me: Don't press A. Don't press anything. Just hold this *points to button*
*she jumps off the stage*
Her: I don't like this game.

We have never played a video game together since.

Zaku

damn man. banned in less than ten minutes? quickfire mods

GAF mods are like auto-kill drones. No pity, no remorse, no posting privileges if you cross the line. It's so awesome. Any other place, it'd be shocking to see outright trolls get banned. Here? I'm used to scrolling through a thread less than six months old and seeing multiple people banned.

I love this place.

Aaron D.

Definitely make sure your Dead Island: Riptide statue is on display though.

Zombie-Bait.jpg

I still can't believe this thing made it past the boardroom pitch phase. So sad & gross.

/what were they thinking? -AVGN

EDIT:

OP, I think you'd be better served putting all of your effort into discovering her hobbies and interests instead of forcing your own into the equation. Calling her a sort of gamer based on her playing Candy Crush currently and Mario 20 years ago is a reach and wishful thinking on your part. Although gaming is clearly a big part of who you are, that you want to share with those close to you, I think you're better off trying to get to know each other more for now instead of forcing games into the equation so soon.

Also, I think she really might want to see your puppy, despite what others here have implied. Assuming she really just wants to have sex with you based the fact that she's willing to come back to your apartment is far worse and far more dangerous than assuming she likes video games. Be respectful and show a genuine interest in her life and I hope she does the same to you.

Fantastic post.

Please read this, OP. Esp. the 2nd paragraph.

OP your first date will be your last

edit:
Originally I thought The Last of Us, but she doesn´t like zombies (she told me she gets scared by The Walking Dead), so that one is probably out, even though it´s probably the highest achievement we´ve seen in the art.
You should definitely tell her about how last of us is the highest achievement in art, panties will drop

/s

I met my girlfriend when she served me at GAME.

I went there to buy Bayonetta and she asked if i was interested in pre-ordering anything. I wasn't, but enquired as to when the Awakening expansion was due for Dragon Age: Origins. She looked in her folder but it wasn't listed, and she suggested that i take a look at a gaming website/forum.

I told her i couldn't, as i had been banned. She wanted to know why, so i explained it was largely due to an experiment i was intending to run, demonstrating the effectiveness of dressing as your in-game character (both in terms of enjoyment and actual performance). She laughed as if i was joking, but i brought up a line-graph i had made on my phone explaining how dressing as Richtofen improved my score on Nazi Zombies.

She then tapped the Bayonetta case and asked what i intended to wear while playing. I told her that i was just on my way to Miss Selfidge to pick something up. She said she would like to see that, so i gave her my card. She called, we went out, and now many years later we are about to have a baby.

We played a bit of Left 4 Dead on our fifth date.

Zaku

Literally none. You would be surprised at how unenjoyable video games can be for the uninitiated. This was an actual conversation I had with my girlfriend when playing SM 3D World.

Kill her and hide the body.

I will help.

Just kidding, of course.

tcrunch

Had this exact same experience with one of my friends.

SM3DWorld is mind-bogglingly difficult.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As others have said, I don't think this is the wisest idea. Introducing hobbies and interests is not a first date thing, that comes when you're both more interested in each other and want to learn more about the other.

The only exception would be if it's already well established between you two that you both like video games. Like if you met the girl in a gaming server and you both have talked and love games, or if she's expressed deliberate interests to game with you.

It's just the same as any other hobby, the first date is usually not a good time to bring it up uninvited.

hwy_61

Banned
Gaming is my passion, my raison d'être. I'm not going to bullshit someone on a first date or otherwise lead them to think that I'd do anything but continue to play video games for the rest of my life.

Trying to hide your hobbies just makes the dating process slower.

What are your conversations like, OP? Do you find some way to insert video games much like a born again christian finds a way to insert Jesus in regular conversations?

Two words: "simple", and "multiplayer". Think Gang Beasts, Mario Kart, Nidhogg, etc etc. If you fail into a situation where you're sat there playing a game and she's just watching, there's a good chance you fucked up.

Oersted

guys

you don't understand

she played SUPER MARIO WORLD like 15 years ago that one time at Toys'r'Us

she's one of US

She could really enjoy games. But since when do you show off games which represent the evolution, on the first date? I'm still baffled. Whats the point?

Zombine

Banned
When I was screening my girlfriend, I showed her my list of prerequisites to dating me. One of the main ones was that if she was to sign the agreement, she must reach 10k gamerscore by the first 6 months of our arrangement or it was grounds for termination.

The moment I converted her from a dirty casual to a hardcore bro was the greatest achievement in my life.

I went there to buy Bayonetta and she asked if i was interested in pre-ordering anything. I wasn't, but enquired as to when the Awakening expansion was due for Dragon Age: Origins. She looked in her folder but it wasn't listed, and she suggested that i take a look at a gaming website/forum.

I told her i couldn't, as i had been banned. She wanted to know why, so i explained it was largely due to an experiment i was intending to run, demonstrating the effectiveness of dressing as your in-game character (both in terms of enjoyment and actual performance). She laughed as if i was joking, but i brought up a line-graph i had made on my phone explaining how dressing as Richtofen improved my score on Nazi Zombies.

She then tapped the Bayonetta case and asked what i intended to wear while playing. I told her that i was just on my way to Miss Selfidge to pick something up. She said she would like to see that, so i gave her my card. She called, we went out, and now many years later we are about to have a baby.

Genuinely great story.

hwy_61

Banned
When I was screening my girlfriend, I showed her my list of prerequisites to dating me. One of the main ones was that if she was to sign the agreement, she must reach 10k gamerscore by the first 6 months of our arrangement or it was grounds for termination.

The moment I converted her from a dirty casual to a hardcore bro was the greatest achievement in my life.

On point. I'm impressed.

Seriously, dude! DON'T!

If you want to show her / introduce her to the awesomeness of gaming it must be HER idea. You can only try to encourage her to have that idea by mentioning a cool(!) story of you involving games or set up your collection in a way one almost have to ask about it.

EDIT: The collection-setup thing almost always works for me with my comic collection (Absolute Editions, Omnibi, Library Editions and stuff on 2 nice shelves)

I've been using OKCupid a bit lately, and I just got a date with a really cute girl lined up. We've sent several messages back and forth and chatted over the phone once. She plays Candy Crush Saga and Words with Friends on her iPhone, and she said she liked Super Mario World back in the day, so it looks like she´s kind of a gamer.

So on Friday we´re going to a bar in the neighborhood. She said she wants to see the puppy I have in one of my profile pics (I got a puppy like two months ago), so we´re going to come back to my apartment after the bar.

While I have her there, it´s probably the perfect opportunity to show her how far gaming has come since Super Mario World. What would be a good game for this? Originally I thought The Last of Us, but she doesn´t like zombies (she told me she gets scared by The Walking Dead), so that one is probably out, even though it´s probably the highest achievement we´ve seen in the art. So what else might work?

Literally none dude. Show her your dog, have a few drinks and take it from there.

A first date should never, ever involve any video games.

Ever.

I've been going out with my girlfriend for 4.5 years now (and a smoking hottie if I do say so myself), but it was a gradual thing.

She 100% Super Mario World as a kid and loved it but had only played Mario Kart, Guitar Hero and a few others here and there (think she played the Toy Story games on ps1)

Anywho, we started playing platformers together gradually, starting with Donkey Kong. It worked well and it's something we enjoy doing together (working through Tropical Freeze atm) but I can guarantee you that if I pulled out the Wii on our first date, it would be the only one.

A first date is about getting to know someone. They want to know who you are, and they want to be charmed. Everyone wants to be sold something, and a first date is your chance to sell yourself to her.

You are wasting it if you show her. Save it for a fun thing to do after the 4th or 5th date.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

*slow clap*

No, this is worse. A girlfriend is a person who already shares part of your time on a consistent base and it's somewhat reasonable to want her more involved/interested in what you like.

I dont know. If my gf doesnt like certain games, I dont want to force her playing that. She plays TD games and some other games, but she would never play Batman, Killer is Dead and those kind of games.
And thats totally okay.

Thats why I never understood those threads that are like "My gf doesnt like videogames, but now I want to show her that videogames are great! What should I start with? Assassins Creed? Batman? Killzone?"

I'm afraid to hear about your prerequisites for marriage.

Pull up a stool next to your gaming rig and fire up Project Cars or something equally good graphically. Crysis with some mods is a sure bet if you want to show her how much gaming has evolved since the SNES. Remember to walk her through the different shader techniques, show her the obvious differences between Billinear, Trillinear and MSAA and don't forget to mention the poly count! She'll surely be super impressed! Maybe it's best to prepare a few slides in powerpoint on the "bit wars" so she doesn't fall off when you go over the finer parts of the CPU/GPU architecture. She might think the N64 is equal to a modern 64bit rig.
KuGsj.gif

Why would you think to put The Last of Us in front of her as a good idea for a beginner? lol

Just start small.

Maybe play a local co-op game, they're now the rage. Sportsfriends (I think that's free for PS Plus), Nidhogg, Samurai Gunn, Speedrunners, Lethal League, Rayman etc.

If she wants to play a game by herself afterwards, try a slower paced game like adventure games where it's more about thinking and storytelling than twitch reflexes e.g. The Longest Journey, Broken Sword, Blackwell. She might take a liking to the female protagonists in that genre.

ibkC17GQiynWQ7.jpg

also yeah I'm kinda onboard the "don't play video games on a first date" train

but you're going to do it anyway, judging by the first page

Oersted

I waited until I got the Mrs up the duff then broke out all games and anime so she had no choice but to lump it. I highly recommend this approach.

Gifted my current girlfriend a Nintendo goodie. She loved it and yes, she knew exactly what I was giving her.

"Ooooh, Kirby".

None, unless she indicates that she wants to play a game. Gaming is lame on the first date 99% of the time, even for many people who like to play video games. Keep that part of you to yourself or only mention it briefly on the first few dates. I hope you have other interesting hobbies, funny stories or experiences unrelated to games that you can share with her.

Zaku

What are your conversations like, OP? Do you find some way to insert video games much like a born again christian finds a way to insert Jesus in regular conversations?

I'm not OP, just someone who replied, but...

Obviously I'm half-joking here. C'mon, bud. Obviously I don't make every conversation about video games or preach about them to every non-believer. I manage to be a halfway functional member of society, most of the time.

But with the women I date, I do bring up gaming because it's such a divisive topic. I've got something stupid like over 1000 games just from my Gen 6 and Gen 7 game collections. There's no disguising that I'm a lifer, and it's something I prefer to bring up sooner rather than later.

I've met three types of women.

There's the ones who ask "Isn't that for kids?" and it's an uphill struggle just convincing them that video games are something adults can enjoy, too. Those are the ones who I discard any potential relationship with, because it's not worth the time and energy to convince them that games have advanced well beyond Galaga.

Then there's the ones who are perfectly fine with gaming as a hobby, but have no interest in it themselves but don't judge unless the gaming interferes with the rest of your life. I've never let it get that far, but I know people who have.

Then there's the ones who game as much as I do. Sadly every single one has had a healthy, happy relationship, and I haven't figured out how to pull a Mr Ripley with their boyfriends, but by god am I scheming to do so every time I hang out with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom