• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda registers Fallout 4 trademark

If Fallout 4 is in Washington DC then I'm jumping ship because FUCK NO FUUUUUUCK THAT

I mean, the setting is certainly not bad.
Just the sparse natives. And their (6) voices, and the (dumb) shit they say. And the metro system. And the inconsistent lore. And the Brotherhood of Sentimental Bitches. And this, and that, and other things too

Martian

If that survivor 2299 thing is real, there is one thing that bugs me.

2299 is well after the Great War, so why the survivor part? Another war going? If so, why is there no mention of it.

I think that 2299 is hoax, even though I want it to be real

McHuj

Please be nextgen only. I don't want a gimped experience because of having to support systems with 512MB or 1 GB ram for an open world game.

Eidan

Fallout 3 was an okay game. New Vegas is better in every conceivable way.

The real problem in my mind is the awful pile that Skyrim was. Considering its success, and that only a small minority seem to recognize its problems rather than heap praise upon it, I don't see Bethesda changing their approach going in to Fallout 4. This will only make it hurt all the more that Obsidian isn't doing it.

If Skyrim is an awful pile whose shittiness only a handful of people can recognize, I'm glad that that minority will continue to be ignored.

After playing New Vegas, going back to F3 was pretty difficult. Terrible writing (I liked how the intelligence checks in F3 mostly consisted of stating the obvious), no depth to the companions, linear story, less branching in quests, etc. I sincerely hope that Obsidian gets to do another game, this time with an engine that actually works properly.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ugh no thanks, Obsidian's writing would be wasted on orcs and mages

CDPR showed that medieval fantasy genre can be interesting again and more than just Lord of the Rings ripoff (ok Andrzej Sapkowski novels helped them but still) Elder Scrolls with non-generic writing and story can be very good.

Oh yeah! I'm already in love with it! My most anticipated game!
53187_305781412861294_200214405_o.jpg

I hope they drink from New Vegas water. I really like the crafting, the factions system and the Hardcore Mode. This last one added a nice touch of survival to the game. Amazing experience.

CDPR showed that medieval fantasy genre can be interesting again and more than just Lord of the Rings ripoff (ok Andrzej Sapkowski novels helped them but still) Elder Scrolls with non-generic writing and story can be very good.

bethesda also showed that, when they made morrowind.

After playing New Vegas, going back to F3 was pretty difficult. Terrible writing (I liked how the intelligence checks in F3 mostly consisted of stating the obvious), no depth to the companions, linear story, less branching in quests, etc. I sincerely hope that Obsidian gets to do another game, this time with an engine that actually works properly.

and giving them some goddamned time to develop the game would probably help out their next title too. Oh, New Vegas is buggy as fuck and seems rushed, Internet? Ya don't say. I wonder if it's because it's on the world's shittiest engine brought to you by the world's shittiest publisher who wanted the game done in a weeks time? Nope, clearly it's Obsidian that's the problem huehuehue

Eidan

and giving them some goddamned time to develop the game would probably help out their next title too. Oh, New Vegas is buggy as fuck and seems rushed, Internet? Ya don't say. I wonder if it's because it's on the world's shittiest engine brought to you by the world's shittiest publisher who wanted the game done in a weeks time? Nope, clearly it's Obsidian that's the problem huehuehue

Is that the same excuse given for Alpha Protocol?

Writing might need to be done better, but elder scrolls has about 10 times the lore of any other fantasy setting except Forgotton Realms and LOTR, both of which are not video-game only like ES. ES has amazing shit in it, they just need to put it together better quest-wise

Zia

I'm not touching 3 again until GFWL is pulled and recently slogged through New Vegas, so I need some new Fallout with which to wash that terrible Obsidian taste out of my mouth. Hurry!

Derrick01

Banned
Is that the same excuse given for Alpha Protocol?

Obsidian and Sega share equal blame there. Obisidan wasted a lot of time really early in development trying to figure out what kind of game they really wanted it to be but once development was finally going Sega all of a sudden stopped funding it after they delayed the game for something like 6 months. So it just sat there having nothing done to it for that time when it could have been bug tested by Sega.

With New Vegas it's all on Zenimax. Obsidian had to make that game in a year, which is incredibly impressive in this day and age.

Zia said:
I'm not touching 3 again until GFWL is pulled and recently slogged through New Vegas, so I need some new Fallout with which to wash that terrible Obsidian taste out of my mouth. Hurry!

You should just stick to phone games. They're more your style.

Almighty

Well i am interested in seeing what Bethesda can do on a next gen console, but i wouldn't say I am excited for it. Bethesda hasn't really made a game i thought was amazing since Morrowind.

Now an Obsidian Fallout that I can get excited for. So please Bethesda after Fallout 4 let Obsidian make another fallout game.

Rflagg

One of the very few day one purchases for me can't wait. I really hope people are wrong and it is only pc/next gen.

Trigger

I like both companies approach to Fallout. Bethesda and Obsidian will hopefully continue taking turns with the series. I need Fallout 4 in my life. I think I know the Mojave Wasteland by heart at this point.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Absolutely loved New Vegas despite the animations making everybody seem like stiff robots. I was told to avoid Fallout 3, but still tempted to try it out someday.

ЯAW;90245372 said:
Seriously! New Vegas was such great game, one of the better games of last gen. I'll need to restart the game once again.

No way in hell, the reason new vegas was great is because they had the engine and all the elements premade of fallout, its completely different when you build a game from the ground up!

ezekial45

Banned
IMPORTANT QUESTION:

can the id Tech 5 deal with massive save states where hundreds of objects and quest instances are stored?

No. I believe Carmack or one of the other engineers for the engine said that it wasn't designed to handle the magnitude of an open world game like Fallout.

dab0ne

Sweet lawd baby Jesus! I've been dreaming of this. The only way I'll buy xbone anytime soon is if MS gets the rights to this exclusively... Which won't happen.

BPoole

If Dark Souls 2, The Witcher 3, and Fallout 4 release in the next 12 months, I will literally be in gaming bliss

Dresden

Working with Bethesda again would just kill the studio.

ezekial45

Banned
Personally, I hope they take the opportunity to switch things up. I'm a bit tired of the vault tech serving as the basis for your characters and I'd like to see them steer away from the Vault origins and pipboy stuff. They and show off some new technology from the other places in the wasteland. There was a really cool mod where the pip boy was turned into a PDA like device, and I think that stuff like is great and totally in keeping with the world in place.

I would actually be OK with them adding some new races to play as. I'd be really cool with them allowing us to play as ghouls or even androids.

sunnz

I REALLY wish they focus more on open wastelands and less on linear shitty indoor locations.

Also, will we finally see some sort of transportation? maybe even horses.

Top Bottom