• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda registers Fallout 4 trademark

Neifirst

PLEASE be Christmas 2014! Fallout 3 was my absolute favorite experience last generation (aside from Xenoblade Chronicles), and I played it on the PS3.

spirity

I'd like to see a Fallout in a different territory, but I guess it wouldn't be Fallout without that duck n cover 50's Americana theme. Would be interesting all the same.

yyyugen

Well if this was from Obsidian I'd tell you it's because the writing, story, quest design and RPG elements would all be amazing and we get hardly any big budget open world RPGs anymore so it would be worth it. With great writing and design you can make just about anything fresh.

I dont understand why NV (at least on gaf) is praised so much more than 3.
In my opinion, NV had...
-boring quests
-worse music
-worse DLC
-companions weren't as good as 3
-the Vegas Strip was lame

+but the guns and combat were largely improved

IMO

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I thought there were alot of rumors (even confirmed ones) about the next Fallout taking place in Boston?

Ah, there was that reddit rumor going around. Don't think it was ever confirmed though. Would make sense though, seeing as Bethesda focused hard on the Brotherhood/Enclave conflict in 3, and Boston is one of the main commonwealth bases.

Would certainly make for a different experience than 3.

Skyrim was two step forwards, one step backwards. Bigger world yet with less meaningful quests and other pointless shit just made it redundant.

This is what I'm worried about. :/

Bethesda needs to focus on making a good game at the core for once instead of making empty sandboxes that are only good for giving "feels" to the player while they wander its emptiness.

Well, populating the sandbox with 'interesting' stuff is going to resonate differently with everyone. I admit that I prefer NV's 'faction-linked' storylines and locations better than "Brotherhood GOOD, Super Mutants and Enclave BAD" and random DC location #4 of 3, but the latter definitely had some good moments, with exiting the vault, and blowing up Megaton.

I don't think Bethesda tends to want to make a 'strong' narrative within their sandbox, as they emphasize the freedom of the world too much to limit the player with restricting/meaningful choices (at least, in the scope of the narrative itself).

In my opinion, NV had...
-boring quests
-worse music
-worse DLC

Really? I thought the exact opposite about all the negatives save for the strip sucking (though apparently, it was all supposed to be one plot of land, not split up into 3 sections)

Charcoal

From reddit..
bAg6sef.jpg

I mean the team who makes Fallout and ES, basically:

Fallout 4
New IP
ELder Scrolls

I thought evil within was being done by bes, in house first party? Wil have to look that up, damn, I was actually looking forward to it :/

EDIT: I don't know where I got that. Tango Gameworks makes much more sense

LOL at everyone still bickering about wether Fallout 3/NV were good games, or which is better, or Gamebryo. Cmon guys, I thought this thread was for the enlightened. Gamebryo sacrifices looks for processes. The beth games are more alive than any other if you count all the things that the game is keeping up with and simulating at once. This will make the graphics take a hit. People will be talking shit about gamebryo or whatever engine beth uses for the next 20 years I promise you that. Ppl need to realize what the priorities of the engine are

No Gamebyro. No weird jittery kill cam. Enterable buildings. A more living world that has stuff happening outside your "bubble". No cross-gen/heavy focus on next-gen if cross-gen.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, NV had...
-boring quests
-worse music
-worse DLC

IMO

My opinion, FO3 is more lost, desperate and depressing to me than NV. That is a compliment to Bethesda, the atmosphere just brings my mood down and I prefer the vibe of NV. The only other game that had a real effect on me was Bioshock, I could not play that game in a dark room with surround sound on.

Kallor

In my opinion, NV had...
-boring quests
-worse music
-worse DLC

IMO

The Strip was a disappointment but the music was the same + some old Fallout 2 tracks, The quests were way way better and bigger , the DLC was a massive improvement over fallout 3s disappointing dlc (brotherhood of steel was kinda ok and point lookout was good. Everything else was shit.)

And the companions weren't as good? Lol what?

Ultimadrago

I don't understand why NV (at least on gaf) is praised so much more than 3.
In my opinion, NV had...
-boring quests
-worse music
-worse DLC

IMO

I very much agree with your summed response. However, on your smaller points I hold some disagreement. I didn't find the quests too boring in general. There weren't too many great ones, but most of the standard quests weren't offensive in dullness.
The companions are written better (and the only aspect from which the writing is notably improved over FO3). The dialogue options/flags are also more flexible in terms of the Courier's stat allocation which made for a couple of amusing paths.

I, of course, agree with the rest. The radio music was inferior, as was the DLC and the titular landmark doesn't even hold a candle to some of FO3's optional Vaults. Additionally, for the praise the writing receives, the overarching story is limp in execution and leads to several different endings that each range through different degrees of "underwhelming."

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Yesssss

I've been eagerly awaiting this game to be announced/released. I look forward to my goty 2014

Personally I preferred FO3 to FNV.
Vegas had some good things going but overall I was underwhelmed. I did like the very last dlc offering from Vegas. If I had to choose a title to play while stranded on an island it would be FO3

Arulan

I'm eagerly awaiting this announcement.

A few things to hope for is PC and next-gen consoles only, and ideally a new engine although unlikely. Hopefully consoles won't limit the scope as much this time with regards to sectioned off loading areas. I'd like to see them attempt dynamic AI once more, the empty promises for TESIV: Oblivion are still painful.

Alasfree

Hoping they learned something from Obsidian. NV was so much better in any facets, from setting believability, general writing, quest design and branching to even small gameplay adjustment.

Derrick01

Banned
In my opinion, NV had...
-boring quests
-worse music
-worse DLC

IMO

You don't understand it because you think all of those things were the opposite of what they really were, especially if you went and compared them to Fallout 3's. I'll give you the music one I suppose but that's mostly a non factor.

Boring quests? Someone should post that flowchart. They were infinitely most intricate and better written than anything Bethesda's ever done.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I, of course, agree with the rest. The DLC was inferior and the titular landmark doesn't even hold a candle to some of FO3's optional Vaults. Additionally, for the praise the writing receives, the overarching story is limp in execution and leads to several different endings that each range through different degrees of "underwhelming."

Wat.

Obviously, opinions differ and all that, but while Point Lookout and Broken Steel were great, the Pitt, Operation Anchorage, and especially Mothership Zeta were just as bad, if not worse, than Honest Hearts and maybe Dead Money (depending on whether or not you liked the survival aspect), while Old World Blues is awesome, and Lonesome Road ties up all the DLCs together.

For me, OWB>Broken Steel>Point Lookout=Lonesome Road>Dead Money>Honest Hearts=The Pitt>Operation Anchorage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mothership Zeta.

And while it is unfortunate that we don't get a solid 'after the fact' ending sequence for the mojave as a whole beyond general brush strokes, Fallout 3's original ending was also among the dumbest ways to pan out an ending I've ever seen.

"No, Player, I, your friend and a radiation immune Super Mutant, will not go into the heavily irradiated space for you. It is your Destiny!"

Vibranium

Banned
Chris Avellone as Story Consultant please, or Beth better make sure they have better writers than the people who worked on Skyrim.

I'm super excited to see how it'll look and play though, even without Obsidian. And at least Derrick and I know that New Vegas was one of the games of the generation, no matter what some people say.

Top Bottom