• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big shipment of PS4 at Target today?

Amir0x

Banned
I went for a hike just up the mountains and I was literally tripping over PS4s. And there aren't even any stores around here.

probably preparing to bury the excess systems nobody wants to buy, ala E.T.

You just stumbled upon a big news story up in those mountains

Edit:

fastford58 said:
Sony is burying those systems faster than unsold Atari ET carts confirmed.

Sony is doomed. What a disaster of a launch for them.

Damn, beaten to my corny joke!

WoolyNinja

If people think the PS4 and One launch lineups are bad I don't think they'll ever be happy. We hardly ever get launches with this many quality games. Between Killzone, Assassin's Creed and Battlefield 4 that's over 30+ hours of single player alone. My biggest problem is how great and addicting Battlefield 4's multiplayer is so I don't get much time to finish AC4. BF4 might be my favorite launch title ever.

If people think the PS4 and One launch lineups are bad I don't think they'll ever be happy. We hardly ever get launches with this many quality games. Between Killzone, Assassin's Creed and Battlefield 4 that's over 30+ hours of single player alone. My biggest problem is how great and addicting Battlefield 4's multiplayer is so I don't get much time to finish AC4. BF4 might be my favorite launch title ever.

OT but.... I never get the "crap launch titles" schtick. There's LOADS of titles. Sure, the better ones may be multiplatform, but that doesn't diminish them in my eyes. I'm on BF4 most nights, Killzone multiplayer is sat here crying for more attention, and I've only had time to put an hour in AC4. Res0gun gets the odd look in but I just don't have the time I'd like to commit to it.

I think both consoles have had astonishing launch titles. There may not be any single title that screams Buy A New Console, but the sheer volume of titles has kept me very happy.

Majmun

So we can safely say that X1 launch demand has died down, even in NA?

Happened faster than I expected. The $499 pricetag tho

Amir0x

Banned
Company A isn't gonna be happy about this.

Company B and C are sipping their martinis carefully. Company C has noticeable tears dripping from its cheek, and company B seems to be trying to encourage Company C. From time to time he points to Company A and they laugh together.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Company B and C are sipping their martinis carefully. Company C has noticeable tears dripping from its cheek, and company B seems to be trying to encourage Company C. From time to time he points to Company A and they laugh together.

Company D is filled with melancholy as it reminisces of how bright the future seemed during the first day of its kickstarter campaign.

Zoe

Yes absolutely its a big part of the culture here in the US for better or for worse. Basically most retailers have the standard 30 days to return as long as you have the receipt. Sadly you can't return games once they have been opened although some sneaky people do get around even that. There are also people that will go past the return window and dump there stuff on stores that have more lenient return policies (such as Walmart).

It's not part of the culture here to return opened systems that are not defective. Thee may be leeway around the holidays, but there are usually policies against it.

Slashlen

weekly sales look good IMO, It may not sell as quick as PS4s, but they aren't collecting dust.

We don't know how many weeks that average is over though. If it's from the last 2 months, it probably means some of them are collecting dust because the launch numbers would have pushed up the average significantly.

Tsundere

Banned
Interesting data for Xbox availability.

The NPD numbers will really show demand with what we know about supply now.

Something to note as well, looks like that data shows the retailer has no Xbox Ones on order, so they don't expect to sell out any time soon. The "average" is skewed because we're still at the beginning of the launch cycle where the majority of the sales were front-loaded on launch day.

Mrbob

weekly sales look good IMO, It may not sell as quick as PS4s, but they aren't collecting dust.

That has to be from launch. The more concerning aspect is there are 0 on order and 0 in transit for every store in the district. That means stores are getting saturated and want no more systems for the time being. If XB1 were still selling at the system average weekly rate stores would need to restock.

Slashlen

That's probably from launch. The more concerning aspect is there are 0 on order and 0 in transit for every store in the district. That means stores are getting saturated and want no more systems for the time being.

Do we know how much lead time the stores need though? Also, are these orders just from the distribution center or MS? My guess is the former, and if they get a weekly shipment, the system's not going to send them more if they have a 2 week supply.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I didn't even look at the right side of that chart. I am interested in the calculated weeks of supply column. How long do most stores look to keep supply on hand? 1 or 2 weeks between shipments doesn't seem abnormal. 4+ might be high.

These averages include launch?

statham

We don't know how many weeks that average is over though. If it's from the last 2 months, it probably means some of them are collecting dust because the launch numbers would have pushed up the average significantly.
The 69 and 16 makes me think they sold out what they had the previous week, seems weird to get solid numbers.
How do you know this? Does Nelson include you in on the weekly sales newsletters?
just going by the chart buddy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If they only had 70 units and expected to sell 69 a week, shouldn't they have some On Order?

Maybe that tells us they only order supply when they get <1 week of supply.

Mrbob

Do we know how much lead time the stores need though? Also, are these orders just from the distribution center or MS? My guess is the former, and if they get a weekly shipment, the system's not going to send them more if they have a 2 week supply.

You would want some systems on order even if they aren't in transit if consoles are moving that fast.

Slashlen

You would want some systems on order even if they aren't in transit if consoles are moving that fast.

Not according to that last column. Average supply is almost 2 weeks. There is one store with less than a week, not sure what's going on there.

ascii42

I didn't even look at the right side of that chart. I am interested in the calculated weeks of supply column. How long do most stores look to keep supply on hand? 1 or 2 weeks between shipments doesn't seem abnormal. 4+ might be high.

These averages include launch?

The average weekly sales seem to have fifths of units. 5 weeks of sales would be necessary to get that.

Amir0x

Banned
Interesting data for Xbox availability.

The NPD numbers will really show demand with what we know about supply now.

Something to note as well, looks like that data shows the retailer has no Xbox Ones on order, so they don't expect to sell out any time soon. The "average" is skewed because we're still at the beginning of the launch cycle where the majority of the sales were front-loaded on launch day.

I'm most curious about February numbers. To me, that'll be a very important month to determine exactly where things stand on things like supply, demand and most importantly whether the drop off from Holiday is healthy numbrs or sickly, as Wii U dealt with.

Kyleoty

Neo Member
Yesterday Costco in Columbus Ohio had a Palate full. I would say probably 40 PS4s. Go get-em boys and Girls there is a lot to look forward too.

Greatness Awaits!!

If the mentioned distribution center only services these stores, they have close to 15 weeks of supply at this weekly sales rate. 15 weeks without need to place an order does not sound good.

Mrbob

Not according to that last column. Average supply is almost 2 weeks. There is one store with less than a week, not sure what's going on there.

Well, that number is what it is, an average. Looking at how some of the lower averages are over 4 weeks of supply these numbers aren't for 2014 only. They are an average of everything, and the average will continue to get bigger since sales are slowing down.

Again, if the system is still selling at this clip you have more on order. You don't supply a store for 2 weeks only while having nothing else coming in the pipeline.

ascii42

Am I reading the average weekly unit sales correctly? Why are there decimals involved here?

It looks like Xbox One's are selling roughly through half their stock each week?

But then why does the total for the entire district look like an average for just the individual stores?

The average having decimals makes sense because it appears to be (5 weeks worth of sales)/5, hence most of the numbers ending in .2,.4,.6, or .8. Not sure why the district average averages the stores though. I guess they find that number more useful that the sum.

Slashlen

Am I reading the average weekly unit sales correctly? Why are there decimals involved here?

It looks like Xbox One's are selling roughly through half their stock each week?

But then why does the total for the entire district look like an average for just the individual stores?

It makes no sense to total average weeks of supply. It's either an average of the averages, or it's just the average weeks of supply for the whole district. Those two could be the same, depending on how they calculate it.

statham

If the mentioned distribution center only services these stores, they have close to 15 weeks of supply at this weekly sales rate. 15 weeks without need to place an order does not sound good.

depends if what the average means, but If the calc. weeks of supply is right its under 1 week to 4 weeks of supply.

ascii42

Well, that number is what it is, an average. Looking at how some of the lower averages are over 4 weeks of supply these numbers aren't for 2014 only. They are an average of everything, and the average will continue to get bigger since sales are slowing down.

Again, if the system is still selling at this clip you have more on order. You don't supply a store for 2 weeks only while having nothing else coming in the pipeline.

The average weekly supply looks to be calculated by dividing the units in stock by the average weekly sales.

Slashlen

Well, I think "on order" here just means from a distribution center. There's probably another person/program that handles ordering units from MS, and they might have ones on order. The individual store may not have to worry about getting the unit through most of the pipeline, it may only be from the distribution center onward.

depends if what the average means, but If the calc. weeks of supply is right its under 1 week to 4 weeks of supply.

Weeks of supply refers to stock already at the store. I'm talking about stock on hand at the distribution center of which they have a ton and perhaps why the "on order" line is all zeroes.

KaiPow

Banned
My gamestop's gotten a few shipments in over the holidays, saw them in stock both yesterday and the last time I went in.

Slashlen

Weeks of supply refers to stock already at the store. I'm talking about stock on hand at the distribution center of which they have a ton and perhaps why the "on order" line is all zeroes.

I don't see anything there regarding what the distribution center has. This all seems to be store specific.

Tsundere

Banned
I'm most curious about February numbers. To me, that'll be a very important month to determine exactly where things stand on things like supply, demand and most importantly whether the drop off from Holiday is healthy numbrs or sickly, as Wii U dealt with.

Oh there's definitely a huge drop in sales from January since Holidays are over, but it's a good indication of ballpark numbers to expect for the next month.

The average weekly supply looks to be calculated by dividing the units in stock by the average weekly sales.

Yep. However, the average weekly sales have a decimal place with .2 .6 and .8 values, which implies it's a 5 week average assuming the numbers don't get altered through some seasonal adjustment voodoo.
Edit: I see you've already said this, sorry!

KoopaTheCasual

Yea, the XB1 is doing well, I don't think anyone is contesting that, but they better start opening up lines to those tier 2 territories, soon. They have a good thing going, but people see a saturation point rapidly approaching. Hopefully that rumor about tier 2 being delayed until late 2014 isn't true, because that would just willingly forfeiting momentum that all console manufacturers desperately need.

The "weeks of supply" number here isn't worth much. In the first place, as was pointed out it has to be over at least a 5-week period so it's including inflated holiday/launch figures. Second, you'll note that the district estimate is nearly 2 weeks of supply on hand. But if you add up all the individual store averages, there's less than 1.5 weeks of stock. The discrepancy is because they use an average of the averages despite a very large variability in store sales. I have to assume this is intentional, in order to swamp out some of the variability, but it's an incredibly sloppy way to do it.

Also, note that the columns "Avg. Wks of Supply" and "Calc. Wks of Supply" have different results for the district total, even though all the individual store entries are identical. The "Calc. Wks" is presumably adding in some subtler assumptions to help increase the number's accuracy, but those factors appear to be swamped by the variability store-to-store and over time.

I work in distribution and this screen looks horrible for a company the size of Best Buy; the tools I use are immeasurably more refined. I hope to hell their logistics teams have access to more and better info.

Abdiel

Hey guys, sorry, I'm at work today, makes it hard to follow the thread, even during downtime.

As to the weekly average sales number, don't look at that for any accuracy right now. Those numbers reflect all the way back to launch, and there is no consistency to the store averages yet. It takes roughly 3-5 months (where in even a product like iPhones stabilize into regular sales patterns and shipments) for that number to be more accurate. The ps4 numbers are just as skewed under that metric.

Weekly shipments are ordered on a store demand basis, we rarely have to process a manual request for more product. Ps4 shipments are divided up for orders based on assumed level of the amount given by Sony and where they expect to sell in largest quantities.

I'll try and cap an updated picture of both today, if I can.

Darksol

Hey guys, sorry, I'm at work today, makes it hard to follow the thread, even during downtime.

As to the weekly average sales number, don't look at that for any accuracy right now. Those numbers reflect all the way back to launch, and there is no consistency to the store averages yet. It takes roughly 3-5 months (where in even a product like iPhones stabilize into regular sales patterns and shipments) for that number to be more accurate. The ps4 numbers are just as skewed under that metric.

Weekly shipments are ordered on a store demand basis, we rarely have to process a manual request for more product. Ps4 shipments are divided up for orders based on assumed level of the amount given by Sony and where they expect to sell in largest quantities.

Much obliged. Thanks!

noobie

Banned

Much appreciated.. thanks

The demand for the PS4 is really insane. As I said in another thread the demand just isn't the same for the Xbone now.

Every

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsof...fO0qg5PUU1VPjs

Single

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-One-C...ition/28876155

Retailer (major, I should say)

http://www.target.com/p/xbox-one-sta...&term=xbox+one

Has

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Conso...words=Xbox+one

It

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/con...console/112422

In Stock

And has been for nearly a month. Now try the same search for PS4, and it is a fact more PS4's have been sold. Both are doing well, but people should stop trying to equate demand. They are not the same.

jayu26

Good stuff right here Abdiel...and I'm learning a thing or two :)

Top Bottom