• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big shipment of PS4 at Target today?

As to the weekly average sales number, don't look at that for any accuracy right now. Those numbers reflect all the way back to launch, and there is no consistency to the store averages yet.

So we could extrapolate the number of units each store has sold. That could be interesting.

Amir0x

Banned
The demand for the PS4 is really insane. As I said in another thread the demand just isn't the same for the Xbone now.

And has been for nearly a month. Now try the same search for PS4, and it is a fact more PS4's have been sold. Both are doing well, but people should stop trying to equate demand. They are not the same.

Although I get what you're saying, I think most people acknowledge that PS4 demand is way higher. Trying to put them on even footing given what we've seen and the numbers we have seems kind of foolhardy considering the evidence. I know some people try, but I am not sure it's a significant number of people anymore.

Codeblew

I didn't even look at the right side of that chart. I am interested in the calculated weeks of supply column. How long do most stores look to keep supply on hand? 1 or 2 weeks between shipments doesn't seem abnormal. 4+ might be high.

These averages include launch?

If it is like where I work, stores do not get replenished from the vendor, they get replenished from the DC which takes from 1-3 days of lead time depending on distance from DC. Well, Alaska is like 7-9 days lead time because that sometimes goes by boat.

I don't think that BB screen would show any on order from the vendor into the DC unless they do it differently from where I work. Also, where I work, the stores do not order the product from the DC, it gets pushed to the stores based on algorithms in our replenishment software that take many different variables into consideration such as season, holidays, past selling history, lead times, promotions and current stock status situation (on hand, on order, in transit, display stock, shelf space). It is hard for this type of software to predict demand for things that sell big at launch and then taper down a lot afterwards such as console launches and new releases for videogames and movies. The software has no past history to get an accurate estimate of demand.

Radec

The demand for the PS4 is really insane. As I said in another thread the demand just isn't the same for the Xbone now.

Every

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsof...fO0qg5PUU1VPjs

Single

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-One-C...ition/28876155

Retailer (major, I should say)

http://www.target.com/p/xbox-one-sta...&term=xbox+one

Has

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Conso...words=Xbox+one

It

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/con...console/112422

In Stock

And has been for nearly a month. Now try the same search for PS4, and it is a fact more PS4's have been sold. Both are doing well, but people should stop trying to equate demand. They are not the same.

PS4:
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

XBone:
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/xboxone/

Although I get what you're saying, I think most people acknowledge that PS4 demand is way higher. Trying to put them on even footing given what we've seen and the numbers we have seems kind of foolhardy considering the evidence. I know some people try, but I am not sure it's a significant number of people anymore.

Oh I know. There are a few stubborn folk, some have appeared in this thread even, that believe they are equally in demand. My post was in response to that.

Nice, there's a website for everything lol

GobFather

weekly sales look good IMO, It may not sell as quick as PS4s, but they aren't collecting dust.

As to the weekly average sales number, don't look at that for any accuracy right now. Those numbers reflect all the way back to launch, and there is no consistency to the store averages yet. It takes roughly 3-5 months (where in even a product like iPhones stabilize into regular sales patterns and shipments) for that number to be more accurate. The ps4 numbers are just as skewed under that metric.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's sufficient for showing which one is generally available and which one generally isn't.
That's one spin. I think it's much more likely that only neckbeard Sony Defense Forcer buy up all the online stock at the moment while in the real world the Xbox One ultimate all-in-one entertainment system built for the 21st century living room is the more popular one.

Amir0x

Banned
That's one spin. I think it's much more likely that only neckbeard Sony Defense Forcer buy up all the online stock at the moment while in the real world the Xbox One ultimate all-in-one entertainment system built for the 21st century living room is the more popular one.

Sony fans about to be #dead anyway when they seen how THE ONE demolish PS4 is December NPD. They might as well give up the ghost now

TomShoe

Banned

Nice use of the word "Neckbeards."

10/10 would post again.

On topic...this delusion is off the charts. Not everyone who buys a PS4 or criticizes your console is a member of the "Ultimate Kaz Hirai Sony Defense Force." Calm down and enjoy your Xbox One.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

10/10 would post again.

On topic...this delusion is off the charts. Not everyone who buys a PS4 or criticizes your console is a member of the "Ultimate Kaz Hirai Sony Defense Force." Calm down and enjoy your Xbox One.

If you ever say anything bad about The One or any Agents of The One (ATO) again you can expect to be exiled so just watch yourself. The biased mods on the board are NOT friendly to other causes.

makatk

Banned
Sony fans about to be #dead anyway when they seen how THE ONE demolish PS4 is December NPD. They might as well give up the ghost now

sorry to quote u amir , for the hyperbole rant , and weak English skills.

i think this generation and you can disagree if you want ,the xbox brand offers nothing that isn't available on the ps4 ,in terms of games i mean ,and i think that's one of the main reasons they r pushing the kinect as hard as they did,you see it a lot in the first party comparisons ,last generation they bought some Japanese games , and before that they bought some sega games , now they got nothing other than the main stream shoot shoot bang bang , tps and sports games , and i think a lot of the consumers and hardcore gamers are aware of that , at launch you get the hardcore halo fans ,and i dont blame them its a good fps, but what unique games , diverse portfolio they have , they rely on the 3rd party games, and pray that the Japanese company underestimate the online and other social services importance , this time it didnt happen , and thats why mark cerny was important .

rip sega consoles .

sorry to quote u amir , for the hyperbole rant , and weak English skills.

i think this generation and you can disagree if you want ,the xbox brand offers nothing that isn't available on the ps4 ,in terms of games i mean ,and i think that's one of the main reasons they r pushing the kinect as hard as they did,you see it a lot in the first party comparisons ,last generation they bought some Japanese games , and before that they bought some sega games , now they got nothing other than the main stream shoot shoot bang bang , tps and sports games , and i think a lot of the consumers and hardcore gamers are aware of that , at launch you get the hardcore halo fans ,and i dont blame them its a good fps, but what unique games , diverse portfolio they have , they rely on the 3rd party games, and pray that the Japanese company underestimate the online and other social services importance , this time it didnt happen , and thats why mark cerny was important .

rip sega consoles .
Your English skills are fine! Also who needs a diverse portfolio when you have Halo?

Really, the Xbox buyer is happy with Gears, Halo, and Forza as long as the big multiplats a keep coming. It doesn't have to have the sweeping diversity of games...just the multiplats that sell a million+. You know...like Destiny and Titanfall. When you've paid in advance for a service (Live) and have an established crew of friends on one platform, the value in jumping platforms is reduced. Especially when most of the big games will be on said system as well.

makatk

Banned
Your English skills are fine! Also who needs a diverse portfolio when you have Halo?

Really, the Xbox buyer is happy with Gears, Halo, and Forza as long as the big multiplats a keep coming. It doesn't have to have the sweeping diversity of games...just the multiplats that sell a million+. You know...like Destiny and Titanfall. When you've paid in advance for a service (Live) and have an established crew of friends on one platform, the value in jumping platforms is reduced. Especially when most of the big games will be on said system as well.

true, but i think most of these ips are on the decline and that's why its easier than ever to jump ships now .and sony ips are pulling a lot of hype especially TLOU and uncharted due to their appeal to the dudebro audience.

Mung

10/10 would post again.

Whoooooosh!

true, but i think most of these ips are on the decline and that's why its easier than ever to jump ships now .and sony ips are pulling a lot of hype especially TLOU and uncharted due to their appeal to the dudebro audience.
You'd be surprised at how easily those games are ignored and disregarded by those who don't own the platform.

Similar to how those who don't own a WiiU disregard it's Winter game releases. That feeling of "whatever..." that you get when someone talks about Mario is the same feeling 360 owners get when you talk about Uncharted and TLoU.

Whoooooosh!
Seriously.

makatk

Banned
You'd be surprised at how easily those games are ignored and disregarded by those who don't own the platform.

Similar to how those who don't own a WiiU disregard it's Winter game releases. That feeling of "whatever..." that you get when someone talks about Mario is the same feeling 360 owners get when you talk about Uncharted and TLoU.

Seriously.

i really think the word of mouth on TLOU have been very beneficial ,you can see it here on gaf a lot of people are buying ps3 for it , and a lot of demand for a ps4 port as for mario comparison here cant be realistic ,because platformers are on the decline in general

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Whoooooosh!

Is that the sound of a PS4 starting up?

If so it is more like

VROOOOM VROOOM WOOOOMOMOMOMOMOM OWHOOOO SPLURTTT SPLIRTT SPISHHHHHHHH SHHHHHH SPINNN CRICK CRICK CRICK VOROOOOM

Nice try though. Sonybot.

Calibus

Is that the sound of a PS4 starting up?

If so it is more like

VROOOOM VROOOM WOOOOMOMOMOMOMOM OWHOOOO SPLURTTT SPLIRTT SPISHHHHHHHH SHHHHHH SPINNN CRICK CRICK CRICK VOROOOOM

Nice try though. Sonybot.

/backs away slowly from Y2Kev

/leaves copy of Titanfall as appeasement.

Theecliff

Banned

10/10 would post again.

Benny was being sarcastic. Unless... you're also being sarcastic.
I can't tell anymore D':

WinFonda

Yeah, but apathy for a franchise because you don't own/invest in the system differs from apathy for a franchise because it has no intrinsic appeal.
So while I agree, people don't care as much for games not available on the system they own... that's more a trouble Xbox One is likely to face than PS4, at the moment.

johnny956

The "weeks of supply" number here isn't worth much. In the first place, as was pointed out it has to be over at least a 5-week period so it's including inflated holiday/launch figures. Second, you'll note that the district estimate is nearly 2 weeks of supply on hand. But if you add up all the individual store averages, there's less than 1.5 weeks of stock. The discrepancy is because they use an average of the averages despite a very large variability in store sales. I have to assume this is intentional, in order to swamp out some of the variability, but it's an incredibly sloppy way to do it.

Also, note that the columns "Avg. Wks of Supply" and "Calc. Wks of Supply" have different results for the district total, even though all the individual store entries are identical. The "Calc. Wks" is presumably adding in some subtler assumptions to help increase the number's accuracy, but those factors appear to be swamped by the variability store-to-store and over time.

I work in distribution and this screen looks horrible for a company the size of Best Buy; the tools I use are immeasurably more refined. I hope to hell their logistics teams have access to more and better info.

The screen you saw is what store employees has access to. I don't know personally but I'd imagine distribution centers have more access and data then that

TomShoe

Banned
Benny was being sarcastic. Unless... you're also being sarcastic.
I can't tell anymore D':

Ah, had no idea. Just had a little bit of PTSD from all of the craziness that is the norm at
N4G
and
That-site-that-shall-not-be-named

Abdiel

All right! Day over, and I managed to get updated pictures.

Here's the (lack of) PS4 Numbers.
20140112_144856.jpg

Nothing district wide. The order numbers aren't even necessarily accurate, because they aren't in transit, and the most recent shipment they all received were well over 100 per store. DC for the area lists 124 units. 124! Gah. I know Sony is shipping them all over, but the demand through our stores is clearing us out immediately on availability.

Xbox One, updated from yesterday.
20140112_144838.jpg

Sold about 10 district wide since the last photo I posted. The DC listing on another page is still around 6000 units.

So! Yeah. Again, the weekly sales numbers are not to be taken as gospel, or even sort of an actual metric of what the stores have sold... The use of that number is for adjustments, or End of Life/At Risk product... as in, if you haven't sold one in 3 months, and you have x product, how much needs to be sent back to the warehouse, etc.

One of the other guys was talking about how their DC system works, and ours is similar, the numbers in that screen are not used by our DC teams. They have their own internal metrics and reports that are far more accurate and reflect much more important divisions than our quick reference inventory system.

Cheers! Hope your weekends went well.

EDIT: I removed the original links, but I also edited the info on the original account to keep any identifying information from showing up. I'll make sure it's not an issue with any further info I post.

awesome data man!

Interesting bit is comparing the PS4's average weekly sales to XBO's, it suggests that XBO has sold roughly 22% more than the PS4 since launch.

edit: nevermind, read your comment about how that number isnt reliable, etc

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
awesome data man!

Interesting bit is comparing the PS4's average weekly sales to XBO's, it suggests that XBO has sold roughly 22% more than the PS4 since launch.

So! Yeah. Again, the weekly sales numbers are not to be taken as gospel, or even sort of an actual metric of what the stores have sold... The use of that number is for adjustments, or End of Life/At Risk product... as in, if you haven't sold one in 3 months, and you have x product, how much needs to be sent back to the warehouse, etc.

McLovin

I was at a BJs today and noticed the cage where they keep their electronics. Saw the typical big ass cube of xbox ones, one Wii U in the top shelf, and no PS4s. I didn't think it was that bad, maybe the vocal minority being... well vocal, but its real. Man MS screwed up big time with that initial reveal.
edit- ^^^^damn!

Kysen

As much as I love seeing hard data, I don't want this guy to get fired over this. Posting district numbers is too specific, you are asking to get caught.

Sold about 10 [XBones] district wide since the last photo I posted.
Having never worked at Best Buy, I'll have to ask… That's not very many for a Sunday, right?

Do you have any idea what the weekly averages are like, for either machine? How often do PS4s come in, and how many do you get across the district?

Top Bottom