• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien |OT|

Tizoc

is there a way to unlock classic art style without having to play through the entire game?

The starting art style is really unappealing - like some cheap shovelware iOS reject game - compared to the fantastic original, so I'd like to go back to that ASAP if possible.

Gameplay is fantastic as always but I really don't dig the initial stage look

Art style seems fine to me, although I would've liked more variety for the backgrounds in each stage of a world. Though even if there was it'd be hard to notice since you'll be focusing on Video and the obstacles he has to get through =P

This game crashes my Wii U 100% of the time when I either try to exit to the console menu or try to power down. I have never successfully quit this game without having to unplug my console.

Tizoc

So I must have missed something. How do you get the keys in levels? They're clear for me and nothing happens when I go over them.

You must first complete a bonus/secret stage, this will allow you to pick up keys in the stages of that world.

Tizoc

Just checking but how does one get a Double Perfect in this game?

I fell in love with this game, but I fucking hate it sometimes. A lot of the times.

I find that 'failing' tends to be an issue of the player, on Normal at least, stages are beatable with ease you just gotta get the timing and rhythm down.
One thing I figured is that if you're, for example, sliding, once you see you got the score or hear the chime for getting a score, let go and the enemy won't hit you. This can be helpful for anyone trying to get some items in a stage.

Tizoc

^Thanks, I've already beaten each stage on Normal, so I should be able to get Double Perfect trophy at least.

So, just finished the story in this, and I think I've got an idea of what the theme is: The pitfalls of early adulthood and/or distractions from finding your role in life.

World 1 = Uncaring/Laziness
World 2 = Avoidance/Disraction
World 3 = Drugs
World 4= Depression
World 5 = And finally Self Reflection

I was wondering how they would fit this into the Bit.Trip saga (journey of life) theme. With Void being about adolescence/integrating with society and Runner being about young-adulthood/finding purpose, this game taking place between those 2 makes sense. Well done Gaijin, I wasn't sure if it could be pulled off without feeling forced.

Any other theories?

Huh that's an intersting theory, and makes sense with the ending.

Futureman

This game crashes my Wii U 100% of the time when I either try to exit to the console menu or try to power down. I have never successfully quit this game without having to unplug my console.

they posted something on their forums where if you hit the Wii U home button..... wait ~10 seconds (they specifically said "brush the lint off your sleeve," THEN hit "Quit to the Wii U Menu." It's worked for me. I think there was some speculation that there is some connectivity issue, and waiting like this allows it to disconnect.

Asimov

Banned
So... I have $20 to burn...

What's the general consensus about the best version of the game? PS3 or Wii U? The demo doesn't crash my Wii U, so that's not an issue.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Pretty much all versions of the game are good. PS3 doesn't have the 'depth of field' graphical effect for whatever reason (not a big deal imo). It really just comes down to the perks offered by each platform. Wii U has off TV play, PS3 has trophies, etc...

Asimov

Banned
So... I just cleared the first 3 stages in Easy, Medium and Hard, perfect scores, hitting the bullseye and skipping the checkpoints.

But I still have a friend who has a little bit more points than me in those stages.

How is it possible?

maty

So... I just cleared the first 3 stages in Easy, Medium and Hard, perfect scores, hitting the bullseye and skipping the checkpoints.

But I still have a friend who has a little bit more points than me in those stages.

How is it possible?

Did you learn how to dance yet?,you do so on the first level of world 2

So every time you are running without any obstacles you can earn more points by dancing. You also can earn more point by grabbing keys and treasures as well as taking the harder route.

I found I did higher scores on easy, than normal or hard, as I got more space to dance.

Asimov

Banned
Did you learn how to dance yet, you do so on the first level of world 2?

So every time you are running without any obstacles you can earn more points by dancing. You also can earn more point by grabbing keys and treasures as well as taking the harder route.

I found I did higher scores on easy, than normal or hard, as I got more space to dance.

Oh, cool. No dance ability yet.

I didn't know about that. Thanks.

Tizoc

Some notes about dancing:
You can only dance on a straight surface, so if you reach an area which is like steps press dance then immediatly after you recover and are on another step press dance again.

You can cancel your kick into a dance.

You can dance immediatly after landing from a jump, just press as you land.

maty

Oh, cool. No dance ability yet.

I didn't know about that. Thanks.

No problem :)

Also, aww yeah.

I finally finished Runner 2, much easier than runner 1 (which I completed on perfect difficulty but not the challenges).

I found that sometimes the background on world 4 and 5 made it a little harder to notice obstacles on "hard" difficulty.

Nevertheless it never gets to point of frustration like in the Odyssey in the first game.

In the end I really liked the improved controls and the introduction of difficulty levels which change the way you play each stage.

This is definitely not a game to play when tired..

The character designs kind of remind me of N64 era Rare games. Especially the big barrels in the backdrops of world 2.

M.D

I had no idea this game existed before the Giantbomb QL, but really it seemed really cool.
Played the demo, and I was surprised to find out I'm pretty good at the game :p (or that's what they want me to think before I get to the harder levels!)

I feel like playing with a controller would be easier, so I'll buy it when I get the $10 back in April on PSN

Asimov

Banned
No problem :)

Also, aww yeah.

I finally finished Runner 2, much easier than runner 1 (which I completed on perfect difficulty but not the challenges).

I found that sometimes the background on world 4 and 5 made it a little harder to notice obstacles on "hard" difficulty.

Nevertheless it never gets to point of frustration like in the Odyssey in the first game.

In the end I really liked the improved controls and the introduction of difficulty levels which change the way you play each stage.

I have a questions:

Is it completely necessary to skip the checkpoints to complete the game 100%? Or is it only to get more points for the leaderboards?

Tizoc

I have a questions:

Is it completely necessary to skip the checkpoints to complete the game 100%? Or is it only to get more points for the leaderboards?

Skipping checkpoints does not affect trophies or the like only ur score.

maty

I have a questions:

No, skipping checkpoints only adds more points to your score, but it does not affect getting a Prefect+ on any difficulty.

I usually avoided checkpoints on easy and normal and used them on hard not get to frustrated replaying the stage again and again if I got stuck in some part. Besides in most levels, you can get higher scores on easy using the dance move. So there is no point in making it harder than it already is.

Hope that helps

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bulleyes not needed for 100%, right? I'm guessing maybe for the rewards thing, but not required to get all bulleyes I hope

Are the hardlocks on the Wii U version not fixed?

I did the system update, but it froze when I tried to power down while in-game as it does every time.

Asimov

Banned
Bulleyes not needed for 100%, right? I'm guessing maybe for the rewards thing, but not required to get all bulleyes I hope

Well... from now I will use the checkpoints in difficult stages because I now know that they don't count towards a perfect status.

But... the bullseyes... they do add a little + symbol to the stage cleared icon. I need those.

GulAtiCa

I did the system update, but it froze when I tried to power down while in-game as it does every time.

I don't think that's a glitch specific to this game. I get that all the time in the Hulu App. Times like this makes me wish the power button wasn't as useless as it is now. Can't even turn the system off... lol

Asimov

Banned

Yeah... I have never had any hardlocks with any game or app on my system. Maybe it is a manufacturing problem... something hardware related... maybe faulty boards or memory modules or something.

maty

Yes, bulleyes are needed to 100% the game, basically you need to play each stage on all 3 difficulties, get all gold bars and those red crosses and finally and get a perfect shot in the end to get a Perfect+ score. At least if you are going for the perfect perfectionist achievement or trophy.

They are not required to access all levels or unlocking new characters.

This means replaying levels several times if you miss :/

Also keys and chests are not required for a Perfect+, but you earn more points when those are collected. And chests only count for the rewards checklist and new costumes

PopeReal

Gaijin Games said they sent a patch to Nintendo a couple weeks ago so they have it. It addresses that glitch plus the one where it replaces your high score on a level with your most recent score, regardless if it is higher or not.

I have no idea why Nintendo is taking so long to put the patch up.

steveovig

Gaijin Games said they sent a patch to Nintendo a couple weeks ago so they have it. It addresses that glitch plus the one where it replaces your high score on a level with your most recent score, regardless if it is higher or not.

I have no idea why Nintendo is taking so long to put the patch up.

You honestly have no idea why Nintendo is taking so long? It's Nintendo, of course.

Wikipedia says its coming out on Vita over the summer. I hope Wikipedia is right.

Better come to 3DS also then, or I'm gonna rage.

Doesn't make sense to release for Vita but not 3DS, when the entire previous Bit.Trip series is on 3DS already, and not to mention the installed base size vs. Vita.

I've beat all the worlds with Perfect + on Easy and Normal, and I'm halfway through doing so on the fourth world on Hard.

I can get bullseyes about 90% of the time now, though I still think they're a bad idea. They undermine the rhythm aspect of the game.

Just got Triple Perfect + on every level. Great game, but having to play through it three times (not to mention redoing a stage every time I missed a bullseye) means I'm glad I'm done with it.

Still one of my favourite games this year though.

Top Bottom