• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien |OT|

Tizzzzz

Neo Member
I jumped right into hard and played through the entire thing; I think I may enjoy it more on the easier difficulties since I can relax a little more and enjoy the sights instead of worrying about some pretty nutty timing.

The checkpoint system in this game was SUPER key for me in how much I enjoyed it. I typically have liked the BIT.TRIP games but I've struggled with all of them to some degree. Seeing checkpoints mid-level was something that excited me pretty much instantly on the final world, satisfying in and of themselves to the point where I felt more rewarded than I have been in a previous game in the series. And as a bonus I can go back and jump over them if I want to go for high scores, which may or may not happen.

It kind of bums me out that Perfect+ relies on getting the bullseye at the end, which I can get pretty reliably but occasionally I'll miss and then I have to play through the level again if I want to get it. It's not a bad experience by any means to do so, just that I'm rarely a fan of a mechanic where I get a single shot and then have to get back to that point if I mess it up.

The dance button is a PRETTY important mechanic.

NFreak

Okay, NinjaSoup. You've had your fun. Please let me have this one stage. It is the only one I've tried to get first on. This is the third time I've had to go back and redo the stage for a higher score. ;~;

I'm sorry to do this to you UltimateIke. Hopefully you still have the high score on PC though....

BaM1Qu0.jpg

I missed only one 2,000 point dance near the beginning that I know of but other than that I literally don't think there is any other dance I could have done.

Tizoc

Just checking but is this a 'running' game like the ones you'd find on TouchPhones? Interested to get it since I read its getting a Plus discount soon.

NFreak

Just checking but is this a 'running' game like the ones you'd find on TouchPhones? Interested to get it since I read its getting a Plus discount soon.

Those are more like infinite runners. This I guess is more comparable to something like Rayman Jungle Run but with a lot more depth, replayability, content, and just fun imo. Not to mention you actually have buttons to press which is kind of vital in a platformer like this.

Tizoc

Those are more like infinite runners. This I guess is more comparable to something like Rayman Jungle Run but with a lot more depth, replayability, content, and just fun imo. Not to mention you actually have buttons to press which is kind of vital in a platformer like this.

Oooh that's really selling me on the game, as I loved Jungle Run.

Rlan

Annoyed that the place where'd you put total players just says Schlortz 1973. Am fascinated to see how this sells on every platform. Will probably have to get someone to help tomorrow check the stats :p

Currently playing the original runner un anticipation of the psn release (I had previously played it but didn't even finish world 1).

Just wanted to say:
THERE ISN'T ANYTHING IN THE WORLD AS ANNOYING/INFURIATING AS GETTING HIT IN THE BALLS BY A RED CUBE THAT COMES OUT OF NOWHERE.

Does every stage have a retro unlockable or is it only certain stages? If only certain stages, is there any way to identify which ones have the retro option?

CLEEK

Currently playing the original runner un anticipation of the psn release (I had previously played it but didn't even finish world 1).

Just wanted to say:
THERE ISN'T ANYTHING IN THE WORLD AS ANNOYING/INFURIATING AS GETTING HIT IN THE BALLS BY A RED CUBE THAT COMES OUT OF NOWHERE.

Just jump over it. EASY.

I'm amazed that whenever I go back for a quick blast of Runner, how muscle memory kicks in and I don't react to what I'm seeing, rather than from what I memorised. The rad and purple cube that frustrated the fuck out of me originally just trigger the reflex to jump/slide without consciously thinking about it.

Man, I can't wait for the EU release of this. Bit.trip Runner is honestly one of my favourite games ever, ever, ever.

Just jump over it. EASY.

I'm amazed that whenever I go back for a quick blast of Runner, how muscle memory kicks in and I don't react to what I'm seeing, rather than from what I memorised. The rad and purple cube that frustrated the fuck out of me originally just trigger the reflex to jump/slide without consciously thinking about it.

Man, I can't wait for the EU release of this. Bit.trip Runner is honestly one of my favourite games ever, ever, ever.
:( I know, I jump over them... But every now and then I forget and BAM! straight to the crotch. You know, the ones that come flying from the sky. Those are the ones I'm talking about.

Just finished world two! Hopefully I'll be able to finish world 3 tomorrow just in time for the celebrations!!!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
:( I know, I jump over them... But every now and then I forget and BAM! straight to the crotch. You know, the ones that come flying from the sky. Those are the ones I'm talking about.

Just finished world two! Hopefully I'll be able to finish world 3 tomorrow just in time for the celebrations!!!
Er... Is this your first time playing Runner 1? If so, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but...

Nah, I can't do this. I'm sure you will, and you'll get to play Runner 2 on time!

(only if 3-9 and 3-11 let you, which they won't)

Er... Is this your first time playing Runner 1? If so, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but...

Nah, I can't do this. I'm sure you will, and you'll get to play Runner 2 on time!

(only if 3-9 and 3-11 let you, which they won't)
:( I was hoping to, since I beat worlds 1 & 2 in two days.
I think the hardest level so far has been 1-11...

THANK YOU FOR CRUSHING MY DREAMS!!!

Zeldana

Neo Member
Is there a trick to knowing which levels hide retro carts or are they hidden until you spot them yourself? Treasure chests and whatnot appear on the menu before you actually get them.

The
Supernature
is by far my favorite world followed by the
Bit.trip
Mine too!! And the groovy music playing in the background makes it that much better.

I love the character from World 3 as well (weird name and all). It's cool how they all have their own unique personalities when you're really just running from Point A to Point B with them and not much else.

Rlan

Anyone with the PC version able to tell me how many players are on the leaderboards? You can't really start a game of r2 on a second account, can you? I'm able to do that for the XBLA version to get to the bottom of the gold count boards. Alao trying to get Wii U stats.

ArjanN

Anyone with the PC version able to tell me how many players are on the leaderboards? You can't really start a game of r2 on a second account, can you? I'm able to do that for the XBLA version to get to the bottom of the gold count boards. Alao trying to get Wii U stats.

Can't really see a way to get to the bottom unless I want to scroll down for an hour and I don't think you can change profiles on PC. My lowest ranked friend on steam is like number 11.500 for what that's worth.

Is there a trick to knowing which levels hide retro carts or are they hidden until you spot them yourself? Treasure chests and whatnot appear on the menu before you actually get them.

Mine too!! And the groovy music playing in the background makes it that much better.

I love the character from World 3 as well (weird name and all). It's cool how they all have their own unique personalities when you're really just running from Point A to Point B with them and not much else.

Yeah the retro carts won't show up on the level select until you actually collect them.

beta_fuse

This game is soooo awesome. Loving everything so far from the music to the art style. Now Nintendo just needs to hurry up and approve the patch cause I'm tired of getting stuck on the Wii U loading page when I quit the game.

This is the first Bit.Trip game I've played and it's amazing. Blew me away and can't get enough of it.

Bought the Wii U version so I would have an excuse to use the console. =P

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I think today's Wii U system update fixed the freezing issue. I just installed the update and played a level then exited to the Wii Menu and it worked just fine.

L00P

The first runner game didn't really do it for me and just bought this one because I thought the TF2 sneakers were totally rad, but surprisingly I am enjoying this game a lot. Spent my whole day yesterday playing this thing. I just like everything about it.

The game got infinitely better when I unlocked Little Mac's jogging attire. Pink jumpsuit for life!

GulAtiCa

So when looking at the Leaderboards, what exactly is the "schlortz 1973"?

I think today's Wii U system update fixed the freezing issue. I just installed the update and played a level then exited to the Wii Menu and it worked just fine.
Nope. Just froze for me. Does it often for the Hulu app. But that one you can see coming a mile away cause it just shows a blank screen inside Hulu if you try to go anywhere. I think/bet it has something to do with internet communications.

The
Supernature
is by far my favorite world followed by the
Bit.trip
. I love the adrenaline you get once you get Ultra in world 3. They really did a good job with the backgrounds and making them come alive in each world too.

Yesssss, that is my favorite part of the soundtrack.

I just beat this a little while ago, and oh my GOD I hated the final boss.
After beating Runner 1 twice and playing through Runner 2, having to run right to left seriously fucked with my head. It technically shouldn't be harder at all but I had so much trouble adjusting. Then the low beats came, the ones you can't slide under to make it easier and ffffffffffffff.

It was still cool, though. :] Absolutely loved the game, looking forward to attempting to perfect+ all the levels.

lingiii

Banned
Man I'm loving this game. I have sucked the marrow of world 1 dry (perfect all stages, all treasure, all retros beat) on normal. What's up with harder difficulty? I went back to do 1-1 on hard and beat it, but there isn't any indication anywhere that I beat it on hard instead of easy? Also, do you have to get all the gold from retro stages for them to count? there doesn't seem to be any indication of that either.

anyway, once you have Uncle Dill Hillybilly style unlocked, whaddya doin playing anyone else.

Futureman

Man I'm loving this game. I have sucked the marrow of world 1 dry (perfect all stages, all treasure, all retros beat) on normal. What's up with harder difficulty? I went back to do 1-1 on hard and beat it, but there isn't any indication anywhere that I beat it on hard instead of easy? Also, do you have to get all the gold from retro stages for them to count? there doesn't seem to be any indication of that either.

anyway, once you have Uncle Dill Hillybilly style unlocked, whaddya doin playing anyone else.

I do not believe the retro stages matter whether you get all the gold or not. At least I don't see any kind of indication.

for the normal stages, if you get a perfect w/ all gold bars, each difficulty has a different colored exclamation point that goes over that stage on the map.

The closest thing I'd compare it to is the minecart segments in the Donkey Kong Country games.

Top Bottom