• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne launch trailer

Ferr986

By the GODS !

I have been blessed with this beauty !

Now, time to hybernate in the basement and occationally ingest sustanance in order for me to sustain a never ending gameplay session.

IMAG0475.jpg

IMAG0476.jpg

Holy shit dude just kill me!

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
One thing that has bothered me since the initial reveal is the weapon switching animation. Does anyone else feel that it's a bit... odd? Like it skips frames or is a bit sped up?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
ibtgVsSKprd0L.gif

What looks janky about that?
Ok maybe "switching out" was the wrong term. Maybe "pulling out" is better. I'm on mobile, gimme 2min to switch to pc and find a gif.

edit:
I can't find the most egregious one I've seen involving a claw type weapon, but here's one:
35en5bL.gif

Notice that the animation looks really nice up until the scythe gets pulled out and then it moves into default position really quickly. Like twice as fast as you'd expect, based on the starting animation speed.

edit2: From some promo trailer I think:
DCDBI5s.gif

People be going crazy in the thought of getting this game early. Alright which one of you bought this with no picture of the game and 1 feedback remark on ebay.
eDrMOVz.png

Ellite25

Goddammit I would love to have have this game now. Spring break just started and this would give me an extra week to play. I am extremely envious right now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Alright, but I don't see why that would make the animation look so janky. See: any action game.

Every action game has animations that get interrupted by other animations for the sake of playability. Weapon switching can be done mid-combo, so the timing is more important than the appearance. It's also not what the player's attention will be focused on in a real gameplay scenario. It's understandable to me that they wouldn't be able to make it look as "smooth" as the rest of the game's animations. Which is not to say it even bothers me in the first place.

Weapon switching in full-on character action games usually doesn't even have a very pronounced animation. The weapons essentially appear out of nowhere and the animation is focused on maintaining the character's fluid movements. In Bloodborne they decided it would be better to make the transition obvious, probably because transforming weapons are one of the primary hooks of the combat system.

So long story short, I think I also see what you're seeing, but I can't say it bothers me. They choose function over form, and it's likely the right choice.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Every action game has animations that get interrupted by other animations for the sake of playability. Weapon switching can be done mid-combo, so the timing is more important than the appearance. It's also not what the player's attention will be focused on in a real gameplay scenario. It's understandable to me that they wouldn't be able to make it look as "smooth" as the rest of the game's animations. Which is not to say it even bothers me in the first place.

Weapon switching in full-on character action games usually doesn't even have a very pronounced animation. The weapons essentially appear out of nowhere and the animation is focused on maintaining the character's fluid movements. In Bloodborne they decided it would be better to make the transition obvious, probably because transforming weapons are one of the primary hooks of the combat system.

So long story short, I think I also see what you're seeing, but I can't say it bothers me. They choose function over form, and it's likely the right choice.
Yeah, this might be it. Just couldn't quite describe something I was seeing that was off. Thanks.

Ok maybe "switching out" was the wrong term. Maybe "pulling out" is better. I'm on mobile, gimme 2min to switch to pc and find a gif.

edit:
I can't find the most egregious one I've seen involving a claw type weapon, but here's one:
http://i.imgur.com/35en5bL.gif

Notice that the animation looks really nice up until the scythe gets pulled out and then it moves into default position really quickly. Like twice as fast as you'd expect, based on the starting animation speed.

http://i.imgur.com/DCDBI5s.gif

I don't see the problem. Also, the second gif is clearly sped up from normal speed.

edit:
35en5bL.gif

They actually look smoother in the video, are you basing it on just gifs?

Ah I see what you meant. It's not even bothering in the least bit to me.

NAPK1NS

edit:
35en5bL.gif

DCDBI5s.gif
Nah, I've noticed exactly what you're talking about. However. I bet once you begin playing you won't even notice. The snappy animating will be in your favor when the DOGS BEGIN FEASTING.

aly

I was about to say that I see you what you mean, but hey_it's_that_dog explained in pretty well. Doubt we'll notice it much when actually playing though.

35en5bL.gif

DCDBI5s.gif

Hmmmm
I dont see anything wrong with the scythe one.

The warped blades gif is sped up tho Im psure

FATALITY

Banned

edit:
35en5bL.gif

DCDBI5s.gif

lol thats what i call reaching

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I don't see the problem. Also, the second gif is clearly sped up from normal speed.
I can slow it down if you like. Now, it looks like the walking is slowed down, but the weapon is pulled out at "normal" speed.
X2nnw7C.gif

edit: Thanks for the input guys. Some people are offended that I would have anything bad to say about the game. I think I got my answer anyway. No need to spam the page with more gifs lol.

Finalow

By the GODS !

I have been blessed with this beauty !

Now, time to hybernate in the basement and occationally ingest sustanance in order for me to sustain a never ending gameplay session.

IMAG0475.jpg

IMAG0476.jpg
hey if you don't like the game I could buy it from you. no problem, really (≖‿≖)

just let me know.

I can slow it down if you like. Now, it looks like the walking is slowed down, but the weapon is pulled out at "normal" speed.
X2nnw7C.gif

edit: Thanks for the input guys. Some people are offended that I would have anything bad to say about the game. I think I got my answer anyway. No need to spam the page with more gifs lol.
I see what you mean. As soon as the weapon is form, it speeds up into the "normal" position?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I see what you mean. As soon as the weapon is form, it speeds up into the "normal" position?
Yep that. A few other people are seeing what I'm seeing, and I think I got an adequate description of what I'm seeing. I'm pretty happy it's not just me being crazy. This is the same feeling I get when I try to explain that 30fps upscaled to 60fps is not the same as native 60fps. It just looks weird to me, not many people can see it, and it's hard to describe.

Yep that. A few other people are seeing what I'm seeing, and I think I got an adequate description of what I'm seeing. I'm pretty happy it's not just me being crazy. This is the same feeling I get when I try to explain that 30fps upscaled to 60fps is not the same as native 60fps. It just looks weird to me, not many people can see it, and it's hard to describe.

I see it, but its just during unsheathing it seems. Which is likely sped up for gameplay reasons. Don't want to waste too many frames with an unsheathing animation if you don't have to.

It seems the transition is much smoother during actual combat.

ibjiILg1ODBGzx.gif

Or when just playing around.

iPnDIfmKHA9Zz.gif

x3r0123

i'm ready for this when it comes out. It's hard to avoid news likes these. At least, I won't be looking at walkthroughs like I did in the souls games

addyb

Ok question GAF. Not played that much of DSII and I'm tempted to try again on the pc version.

Question is do I leave it and wait for Bloodborne and then grab the xb1 version in April or do I head in now regardless?

Loved demons and dark souls but DSII came out during a bad time in my life so never really played it.

Top Bottom