• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne sold through more than 1 million units worldwide as of April 5

red731

Congratulations!

Fromsoft gave us plenty option to customize messenger yet they gave us zero option to customize our doll.
Gehrman told us we can do anything to the doll...I want to let her wear school uniforms.

That is a pretty sweet idea. Also ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

KORNdoggy

Blockbusters these days do 7-10+ million units. The Tomb Raider reboot at 3.5 million units was considered somewhat of a failure by SE, missing it's sales goals surrounding launch. Only though the remaster re-release and aggressive discounts did it become a relative success. It'd be great if BB did 6 or 7 million units, but it's not a game everyone can play or enjoy. I suspect it's sales are going to be disproportionately front loaded and its legs dubious. It's enjoying great release timing and reviews which the super core are eating up. I don't know if there's much of a market beyond them.

bit of an odd comparison. one is a huge budget, multiplatform established IP that was known to be massively successful (hence high expectations). the other is a relatively low budget, exclusive new IP (hence lower expectations). sucess is measured by expectation. i doubt bloodborne was ever expected to sell even a million. so i guess if it reaches say, 2 million lifetime sales, it's a blockbuster success based on it's initial expectations from sony?

Blockbusters these days do 7-10+ million units. The Tomb Raider reboot at 3.5 million units was considered somewhat of a failure by SE, missing it's sales goals surrounding launch. Only though the remaster re-release and aggressive discounts did it become a relative success. It'd be great if BB did 6 or 7 million units, but it's not a game everyone can play or enjoy. I suspect it's sales are going to be disproportionately front loaded and its legs dubious. It's enjoying great release timing and reviews which the super core are eating up. I don't know if there's much of a market beyond them.

Tomb Raider is a game from a huge IP that took five years to develop. Bloodborne took a little over two. The expectations for both are going to be very different because of that.

GorillaJu

Souls games tend to have good legs, relatively speaking. Games that get high review scores and have rampant word of mouth advertising don't just drop off the face of the earth. I think BB is going to be a "must have" for lots of people buying PS4s months and years down the line and life time sales will be very positive.

Adachi

Banned
I predicted 3 million LTD. I still stand by that. Bloodborne is going to be front loaded as fuck though.

Why? I can easily see this sell for months (years) to come, with releases of complete editions including DLC giving extra boosts in the future as well.

And if Sony realizes the potential this has to become a household franchise for Playstation they will probably bundle it at some point to give it even more exposure as well and I'm talking about a widespread bundle or a holiday bundle, not what we're occasionally seeing at the moment. So maybe 2.5-3 million on its own and 4 million+ including bundles isn't out of the question imo.

not bad at all. not an uber blockbuster like The Last of Us or Uncharted but it's yet another exclusive reason to own the ps4. along with the star ocean 5 announcement it's pretty clear Sony is back in a way that will hopefully rival its ps2 days :)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Do the people not realize with BB being the type of exclusive Sony wants to cultivate, that Sony is going to be pushing BB for a long time? Sales are not going to be front loaded and will have legs.

If I can play it then just about anyone else can. You don't have to be skilled to be able to play smart.

And Tomb Raider has one of the more iconic gaming figures in the industry. It's only been around since the early days of the Playstation. Nah, thats no different then the newly established Souls family of games lol. No difference at all.

Think of the TPS genre as a whole as well. That genre has a ton of high selling products. Same with the action genre. How many action RPG's have hit 7-10 million sales. Any? I can't think of one of the top of my head. Without too much hesitation I would probably think at this point Bloodborne could be one of the more successful action RPG's.

ethomaz

Banned
Full PR is out.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/150415_e.html

Includes both Blu-ray Disc™ sell-through quantities and download version sales on PlayStation®Store. Sales data in Japan collected 3/26/2015 – 4/5/2015, in Asia 3/24/2015 – 4/5/2015, in North America 3/24/2015 – 4/4/2015, in PAL regions 3/25/2015 – 4/4/2015.

Japan up to April 5 (10 days)
Asia up to April 5 (12 days)
US up to April 4 (11 days)
EU up to April 4 (10 days)

Well it is less than 12 days for most places... only Asia is 12 days.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Bloodborne was no doubt helped by having very good review scores and being labelled as the definitive exclusive. Especially since all other exclusives have been met with mediocre to decent scores.

I finally decided to pick this up, eventhough I have never had the guts to take the plunge into the Souls series. I do believe that with some patience I can have fun with it.

Bloodborne was no doubt helped by having very good review scores and being labelled as the definitive exclusive. Especially since all other exclusives have been met with mediocre to decent scores.

I finally decided to pick this up, eventhough I have never had the guts to take the plunge into the Souls series. I do believe that with some patience I can have funp with it.

You'll have a ton of fun with it. I never played a souls game before and had my ass kicked all over the place.

But with a little bit of patience the game soon clicks.. And when it does, you're already addicted.

Maxim726X

You'll have a ton of fun with it. I never played a souls game before and had my ass kicked all over the place.

But with a little bit of patience the game soon clicks.. And when it does, you're already addicted.

This is what happened to me.

No hyperbole, this game has revived my interest in console gaming.

When I'm not playing, I'm thinking about playing... At the end now, after 50 hours, and I don't want to see it end.

test_account

XP-39C²
I predicted 3 million LTD. I still stand by that. Bloodborne is going to be front loaded as fuck though.
Would that be possible though? If its 1 million in ~2 weeks, it need to sell tons of copy quickly to reach 3 million (if its going to be very front loaded).

This logic is crazy. So because it won't sell 10 or 7 million units it can't be considered a blockbuster title? Fucking lol.

Probably very front loaded. This series has limited appeal outside the hardcore of the hardcore. I'm not sure it'll beat the best selling entry right now.

Nothing indicates it will be front loaded. Exceptional reviews, great word of mouth, and previous entries suggest it will have great legs.

Reallink

This logic is crazy. So because it won't sell 10 or 7 million units it can't be considered a blockbuster title? Fucking lol.

It's not logic, it's just the accepted definition of the term. "Blockbuster" most popularly refers to the highest grossing and/or highest budget properties. Bloodborne at 1 million units is what would be referred to as a "sleeper hit".

Toxi

Banned
Fromsoft gave us plenty option to customize messenger yet they gave us zero option to customize our doll.
Gehrman told us we can do anything to the doll...I want to let her wear school uniforms.
This becomes a lot less perverted when you remember what the school uniform in Bloodborne looks like.

It's not logic, it's just the accepted definition of the term. "Blockbuster" most popularly refers to the highest grossing and/or highest budget properties. Bloodborne at 1 million units is what would be referred to as a "sleeper hit".

You are talking pure bullshit. It's really quite fascinating.

You speak as though Bloodborne's sales have ended at 1 million, ignoring the fact it's only been out a couple of weeks and will most likely at least double that figure in the short to medium term. You keep stating that the Souls games have a short tail without any evidence to support such a claim. And by your logic only Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and World of Warcraft are Blockbusters because they utterly eclipse everything else in terms of sales numbers and profitability. You're trying to make all of these definite statements without anything to back up such claims.

Alebrije

After all the Bloodborne effect was real, hope we get BB2, 3 in the future and now maybe Sony could considere Demons Souls 2 or at least a Demons souls rerelease with new areas, lore and items

Alebrije

You are talking pure bullshit. It's really quite fascinating.

You speak as though Bloodborne's sales have ended at 1 million, ignoring the fact it's only been out a couple of weeks and will most likely at least double that figure in the short to medium term. You keep stating that the Souls games have a short tail without any evidence to support such a claim. And by your logic only Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and World of Warcraft are Blockbusters because they utterly eclipse everything else in terms of sales numbers and profitability. You're trying to make all of these definite statements without anything to back up such claims.

Yep, how can a Souls game could have a short tail if even the worst of them has a remaster ( Love DS2 but for me is under Demons and DS1), Souls games are the opposite they have long tail and keep selling these days and this is because every day more people knows about the series and get hooked on them, people that enjoyed BB and are new to Froms games will be curious about Souls series.

sn00zer

How has owning those two IPs worked out for them exactly?

What do you think the actual purpose of owning those IPs was financially for a developer like Insomniac?

What would be the point of owning the IPs if they don't sell?

Insomniac bet on EA as a publisher, they bet on ms as a publisher and platform holder, they were probably hoping the IPs would sell above expectations based on EA's marketing and ms' platform strength, both times they made the wrong bet, pure and simple.

Why not go back to EA partners if owning the IP is the only thing that matters when you can keep your IP and target more than one platform? Why go exclusive if you don't think the one platform you choose well outperform the other?

When you're picking a platform holder as your publisher, you're betting on that platform to be successful and that in turn will help your game to sell. That worked out well for FROM, not so much for Insomniac.

Full creative control over any IP they own. Its what Ted wanted from the company since a while back. Why are you being so nasty about it?

While I agree Bloodborne, or any Souls game for that matter, is no " blockbuster " calling it a sleeper hit is pretty laughable on its own merits.

Bloodborne could indeed eventually become a blockbuster. Even sales dropping by half the 2nd week+ it would still have the potential to sell another 500k worldwide, putting it close to 2,000,000 sales its first month. Then you have all the bundling that will be coming along with sales of the game and holiday promotions and DLC and probably an Expansion somewhere down the road.

Could become the best selling Miyazaki " Souls " family product yet. Somewhere in the realm of 4 million LTD would be my guess atm.

Demons Souls started out at 150,000 the launch week in the US and went on to sell 1.5-1.9 million WW LTD. Hows that for " legs ". Bloodborne could have the same type of legs with all the hype surrounding it. All those new players jumping in and getting hooked, telling their friends about it, those friends picking it up on a whim, some of them getting hooked. So on and so forth.

And really, to be perfectly honest, I guess you could call it a blockbuster. People think Final Fantasy is a blockbuster JRPG title and it sells around 1 million the first month in the US. Bloodborne could get close to that in the NA alone its first month.

It will do about the same as other PS3 exclusives "that didn't sell", like Heavy Rain, Resistance or Uncharted 1.

I do think Bloodborne 2 or Bloodrise: Awakening, whatever they call it will do better though. For sure this is locked for PS4.

It will do about the same as other PS3 exclusives "that didn't sell", like Heavy Rain, Resistance or Uncharted 1.

I do think Bloodborne 2 or Bloodrise: Awakening, whatever they call it will do better though. For sure this is locked for PS4.

All of those games you mentioned sold at least 3 million. That would be pretty awesome.

Renekton

While I agree Bloodborne, or any Souls game for that matter, is no " blockbuster " calling it a sleeper hit is pretty laughable on its own merits.
In the end we're just disagreeing on what sales quantity threshold qualifies the labels blockbuster or sleeper.

Bruno MB

Nothing indicates it will be front loaded. Exceptional reviews, great word of mouth, and previous entries suggest it will have great legs.

Previous entries on consoles were front-loaded, especially Dark Souls 2 which was front-loaded as hell, that is normal for the type of games they are.

Demon's Souls was the exception because it was a new experience when it was released, that's how sleeper hits work.

Bloodborne will probably have better than average legs for the genre, but let's no delude ourselves into thinking that it will have some miraculous legs. I've read on this thread some insane lifetime sales projections.

Joni

Please tell me you know Japan is part of Asia?
If it is from the article nevermind me.
Japan isn't part of Asia. Just like the Middle-East isn't, Russia isn't and India isn't. They're all typically considered separate business regions in the video game industry with Middle-East, India and Russia falling under Europe while Asia - the south east of the continent- is handled in more close conjunction with Japanese main offices.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This is what happened to me.

No hyperbole, this game has revived my interest in console gaming.

When I'm not playing, I'm thinking about playing... At the end now, after 50 hours, and I don't want to see it end.

What a weird thing to say when it's the exact same feelings that the 3 previous games instilled in all of us, and 2 of those are on pc... people acting like BB is revolutionary is mind boggling. Maybe it's all the frenzy :p

I would like it if they didn't do any direct sequels. Keep making Souls games perhaps, but let the next be Dragon/Devil/whatever Souls, and let it really have its own identity.

Dragon Souls or Devil Souls would both be great names for a new souls game :(

Top Bottom