• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne sold through more than 1 million units worldwide as of April 5

cakely

tumblr_m56ck2p87i1qkil9f.jpg

I laughed.

Also, congratulations are in order. Bloodborne is probably my game of the generation at this point.

Going from a measily 40k first week in Japan for Demons Souls to eventually selling +1,000,000 first week ( +3 ) WW is pretty incredible. This is basically the Guitar Hero of the ARPG world. Starting with little to no fanfare, and through word of mouth and positive reviews/impressions/youtube videos and such it eventually turned into something pretty big.

Cess007

Chance of Sony and Kadokawa making a Bloodborne anime is increasing,

Make it with Vampire Hunter D art style and i will be all over it :p

Congrats to From! I'm yet to beat the game, but BB has made me feel emotions that i haven't felt since my battle with False King in DeS.

Curious to see what happens with From and Sony in the future now. They're selling gangbusters just by being on a single platform. I wonder if they'll see the results as being profitable and lucrative enough that Sony could bring Miyazaki on board while they fund anything they need...

unsightly

Awesome news. Hope it continues to blow everything else out of the water.

I think people will take "full power of the PS4" the wrong way. I don't think that he is referring to the overall graphical fidelity. To me, it's one of the best looking games there is, minus the occasional hiccup or weird AA/reflections, but obviously a game that's out in the first year or two of a console's life cycle isn't going to be perfectly optimized and legitimately push that console to its limit. That said, what I find most impressive is the loading time. Everyone keeps bitching about it to the point where even mentioning Bloodborne brings at least one idiotic "DAE Loadborne lel" reply, but nobody seems to be talking about how AMAZING it is to have a game that never loads if you don't die or warp.

Seriously, think about it. You spend 30-45s loading the entire world. If you don't die or awaken, you can literally run from one end to the other in one load-free experience. Demon's/Dark were the same way - Demon's being slightly worse due to the hub.

As for the framerate, I came in expecting no better than 30fps.. I'm pretty amazed that I've yet to really encounter any significant lag. Upon entering two boss fights, I got some crazy Armored Core V-style 1fps dips, but they lasted no longer than a few seconds right as I entered the battle. I'm wondering if people experiencing these dips more often are suspending/resuming their game, or running Bloodborne while 10 other games/apps are suspended in the background. Still can't excuse their 30fps cap, especially considering DS2 is 60fps on PS4 (iirc) and appears to be essentially the same engine, really hope From actually addresses this next time around, it's getting old.

I just am so in love with this game. Still haven't beat it, playing through as blind as possible and trying not to read anything online. Feels good man.

Dargor

Totally deserved. Getting my ass kicked never felt so good lol.

The gameplay, the art style. This game has it all.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Because it caters extremely well to certain market segment (hardcore gamers with a penchant for brutally hard games with super tight mechanics) but has little appeal outside of it.

Yeah 1 million copies sold is niche as fuck, just like those other obscure japanese RPG and dating sims. Bloodborne did extremely well considering it's an exclusive PS4 game and a new IP, damn i can't believe this game sold so well considering it's so niche :)

Also guys Neil Druckmann beat Bloodborne which i find pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/584282733532188672

RexNovis

Banned
When I say flop, I mean in terms of what Sony expected for it. They really did give it a serious marketing push, to the point where I was wondering why Insomniac games never got that kind of push during PS3 days... Internally they have to be disappointed about it.

LMFAO Yea man you're totally right I'm sure they are absolutely wrecked that it only sold 1 million copies in 10 days. Surely this is a joke post.

Holy shit... I knew it was going to get a 1mil+ but didn't expect it to hit that number so soon. Just got to wait now to see how it did in the US. Hopefully this means more From/Sony ventures in the Future.

Mupod

I'm more curious how many PS4s it sold

I mean, I was one of them. Granted I got mine last year because I got a nice deal on it.

Elixist

He will probably be more involved than in DS2. He don't want Matthewmatosis to do another 1hr legit criticism video on YouTube.

thats my gut feeling as well. he is the president of From now, i imagine he would "miyamoto" around the company a bit more. not sure thats a good or bad thing now that i think about it.

He will probably be more involved than in DS2. He don't want Matthewmatosis to do another 1hr legit criticism video on YouTube.

He was not involved in any way with Dark Souls 2

It’s true that I’m sad about not being involved in the development of Dark Souls II, because I’ve worked on Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls’ development for the past five years. I really love those two titles; however, maybe this is the time to have new inspiration, so I’m fine about that.

“I’m looking forward to playing Dark Souls II not as part of the development team, but with a little bit of distance. Everybody knows what the core of Dark Souls is – the dev team does, the fans do, the media does – and that will never change.”

"I will not be involved in the actual development of Dark Souls 2," he said.

He basically just made sure the development of Dark Souls 2 was on schedule. He supervised. Thats all, thats it, wasn't involved with production in any way shape or form. He was I'm sure pretty busy developing Bloodborne lol.

When does the NPD tracking for march close. April 5th right? If so We'll be able to see the breakdown of percentage between NA and EU/ROTW

Of course we'd have to factor in Digital sales but from memory, EA said it was 10% Either way it'll be interesting.

Rymuth

Curious to see what happens with From and Sony in the future now. They're selling gangbusters just by being on a single platform. I wonder if they'll see the results as being profitable and lucrative enough that Sony could bring Miyazaki on board while they fund anything they need...
Wonder what happened to Miyazaki's 'warm and fuzzy' game he had in mind?

I liked to entertain the idea that Sony's deal with Miyazaki was this "Exclusive Souls series for the PS4 in return for funding any whacky side-projects Kadokawa wouldn't let you work on"

ethomaz

Banned
I'm curious: Are there two From Software teams now? One that makes Dark Souls and another with free reign?
The team that worked on DS2 was a different team... so yes... Miyazaki for example didn't worked on DS2 but instead was working in Bloodborne.

SerTapTap

Great news, here's hoping for 3+m lifetime, should have long legs.

You don't gloat sales about a game that is panned critically imo

Which Insomniac games? The mainline Ratchet and Clank games and all Resistance games were critical successes.

I'm curious: Are there two From Software teams now? One that makes Dark Souls and another with free reign?

Probably (not sure I would put it quite that way though). It's probably sort of like how Naughty Dog has two teams. You need to do stuff like that be able to work on multiple projects most of the time.

Going by the trophies for the first two bosses you come across, one is optional and the other is mandatory, close to 70% have beaten both.

The optional boss is at 74.2% unlocked while the mandatory boss is at 68.8%.

Funny part is that there are AAA games that baby you through the game with worse completion stats than that.

When I say flop, I mean in terms of what Sony expected for it. They really did give it a serious marketing push, to the point where I was wondering why Insomniac games never got that kind of push during PS3 days... Internally they have to be disappointed about it.

What. No. Bloodborne's the fastest selling Souls game so far, I seriously doubt Sony were expecting any better than that.

Anyway, congrats From and Sony. Great game.

U-R

I would be curious to know how many PS4 this game flat-out sold.
I know i would have likely skipped consoles this generation if it wasn't for it.

Mogwai

He was not involved in any way with Dark Souls 2

He basically just made sure the development of Dark Souls 2 was on schedule. He supervised. Thats all, thats it, wasn't involved with production in any way shape or form. He was I'm sure pretty busy developing Bloodborne lol.
He's listed as supervisor. I guess that makes him involved to some extent.

FROM probably has several teams. Concerning Souls:

Team A - DkS + DeS + BB
Team B - DkS2

Of course there's plenty of overlap between the two teams but if your looking at the notable positions of director, level designers etc its different. DKS2 brought in more staff that worked on Armoured Core.

Honestly, I expected more. At least 1.5 million by now. Or maybe I've got unrealistic expectations.

Either way it's good. From Software created a must have title and they deserve the success.

From Software have had 3-5 teams for years, they merely took the Another Century's Epsiode team and put them on Dark Souls 2, while the Demon's/Dark Souls 1 team started work on Bloodborne.

Top Bottom