• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne sold through more than 1 million units worldwide as of April 5

Gator86

Game is legit great so I'm glad to eat crow here. Definitely wasting expecting this level of sales. Congrats, From. I wouldn't mind if From stepped back from Souls to work on a Bloodborne sequel instead. Definitely prefer the gameplay style of Bloodborne over the slower, clunkier Souls games.

Cess007

Honestly, I expected more. At least 1.5 million by now. Or maybe I've got unrealistic expectations.

Either way it's good. From Software created a must have title and they deserve the success.

Well, the data is from almost 10 days ago, so...

Then again, DS2 sold less than that in 2 platforms, so, maybe you were unrealistic.

Honestly, I expected more. At least 1.5 million by now. Or maybe I've got unrealistic expectations.

Lets not go over board as of feb 2015 ds2 on pc didnt top 1million.

Bloodborne though follows the souls formula is still a new IP on a system with a much smaller install base. 1million is incredible while ds2 on pc 1 year later didnt reach 1mill.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Are you reading the same thing I am?

PS4 1 mil in 10 days vs 1.2 mil in 3 weeks on PS3, 360 and PC = Souls Fanbase on PC.

ok sure...

You can't ship digital units, which is where the vast majority of PC sales are.

When I say flop, I mean in terms of what Sony expected for it. They really did give it a serious marketing push, to the point where I was wondering why Insomniac games never got that kind of push during PS3 days... Internally they have to be disappointed about it.

SCE + FROM Partnership = Success

Jayu26 - But it flopped

???????????????????????????

Kyoufu

You can't ship digital units, which is where the vast majority of PC sales are.

What does shipment have to do with anything? The 1 million sell through number includes digital.

No matter how you look at it, Souls fans are primarily on PlayStation.

Hugstable

Banned
Going from a measily 40k first week in Japan for Demons Souls to eventually selling +1,000,000 first week ( +3 ) WW is pretty incredible. This is basically the Guitar Hero of the ARPG world. Starting with little to no fanfare, and through word of mouth and positive reviews/impressions/youtube videos and such it eventually turned into something pretty big.

Maybe they can rerelease Demon Souls so we can give it the sales it deserves

Sony please listen to me lol

SerTapTap

Marketing push probably wasn't JUST about bloodborne sales either (though 1 million is great, period), Playstation probably sold a decent amount of consoles and got a ton of general buzz and goodwill out of this. No way to call this a flop, Playstation has been looking for a universally praised big game like this.

I thought the souls series originated on the PS3? That's were most of the fanbase would be right?

Should I pick up DS2 if I think that bloodborne is the best game this gen?

In my opinion, yes. It's more of that, albeit at a different rhytm. The art-style is a little less incredible, but what you gain with DS2 is that it has (even) more replay value than Bloodborne. And it's a bigger game on the whole as well (took me 80 hours to complete - WITHOUT the DLC that is included in the PS4 version).

RexNovis

Banned
I think NPD will be lower just because PS4 have much more global appeal. There are rather sizable market beside NA and EU.

While this is very true the US market still makes up the largest single market for the PS4 so I'd imagine sales to reflect that representation. Software sales especially seem to favor the US market for whatever reason. Honestly it could go either way but there were people laughing at predictions above 250k in the sales prediction thread. Clearly it will have sold WAY more than that by the end of its first month on sale in the US. it will likely be 350k-400k for the first week. I'm thinking it'll be closer to 400k.

Nibel

The fact that a supposedly niche Japanese action-RPG outsold a cinematic third-person shooter with emphasis on presentation makes me very happy and kinda blows my mind considering where we have been the past few years.

Amazing and deserved.

I think we get some free messenger skins.

CCj7fHtWAAAqUlH.png:large

twitter, can anyone translate?

Seems kinda silly to be on that platform if you're a souls fan, it's like being a big CoD fan and then buying a Wii U.

Not really

PS3: 3 souls games
Ps4: 2 souls games
PC: 2 souls games

Plus, when your games sell this much, it's understandable that future games without platform exclusivity deals will still have a high possibility of coming to PC.

OT: congrats to From Software and SCE. I like BB a lot.

The fact that a supposedly niche Japanese action-RPG outsold a cinematic third-person shooter with emphasis on presentation makes me very happy and kinda blows my mind considering where we have been the past few years.

Amazing and deserved.
The thirst is real. Praise the sun. :')

In my opinion, yes. It's more of that, albeit at a different rhytm. The art-style is a little less incredible, but what you gain with DS2 is that it has (even) more replay value than Bloodborne. And it's a bigger game on the whole as well (took me 80 hours to complete - WITHOUT the DLC that is included in the PS4 version).

Sounds great. I've never been a fan of the souls series and I picked up bloodborne because of the hype. I guess I'll pick it up soon after I'm done with bloodborne and play it until God of War 3 comes out for the ps4.

rhandino

Banned
Well, the data is from almost 10 days ago, so...

Then again, DS2 sold less than that in 3 platforms, so, maybe you were unrealistic.

Can we please STOP with this?

Bandai Namco announced that its latest entry in the Souls franchise, Dark Souls 2, sold 1.2 million units by the end of March, 2014—just three weeks after its launch on Xbox 360 and PS3.

We likely won’t know just how well the game has fared overall until sales numbers for the PC version are released. That version, which boasts better graphics but still not the look originally advertised, launched in April.

I thought the souls series originated on the PS3? That's were most of the fanbase would be right?

Should I pick up DS2 if I think that bloodborne is the best game this gen?

It seems people just love forgetting that for some reason. I find it funny given that Demon's is one of the better games int he series.

Not really

PS3: 3 souls games
Ps4: 2 souls games
PC: 2 souls games

Plus, when your games sell this much, it's understandable that future games without platform exclusivity deals will still have a high possibility of coming to PC.

OT: congrats to From Software and SCE. I like BB a lot.

There's no way BB2 doesn't happen. And now that From knows they can do just as well while letting Sony take the financial risk, it could mean a closer partnership in the future. Point is, it's ridiculous to say the fanbase is mostly on PC when the series didn't even start there and half of it isn't available.

Hugstable

Banned

Amazing and deserved.

Yes, more games built on gameplay like Bloodborne please!

Ewwww. Why did I suddenly remember Gehrman's line about doing whatever you like with the doll?

lol, just imagine all the tentacles. :p

On topic: Really great to see that. I was pretty optimistic about the game's sales but this is great. Not regretting the ps4 purchase for the game at all personally either.

And now, before you think about DLC guys....gimme that loading(and other stuff) patch first.

Hugstable

Banned
Sounds great. I've never been a fan of the souls series and I picked up bloodborne because of the hype. I guess I'll pick it up soon after I'm done with bloodborne and play it until God of War 3 comes out for the ps4.

I picked up the ps4 port of DS2 as well and it'sit's pretty damn great. Runs really good and has alot of gameplay and build variety. Really long adventure too with tons of varied environments

JobenNC

First game a while that was truly worth the price of a platform for me. Really glad to see From & Sony getting rewarded for that work.

Sami+

I really, really hopes this prompts Sony to cut a deal for a Morpheus compatible King's Field to use as a major "system seller" for the device.

There's no way BB2 doesn't happen. And now that From knows they can do just as well while letting Sony take the financial risk, it could mean a closer partnership in the future. Point is, it's ridiculous to say the fanbase is mostly on PC when the series didn't even start there and half of it isn't available.

I did not say this.
Half of the souls series is located on PS4.
I also don't see the point to writing off a sizable chunk of said PC souls fanbase (where half the series is available), as well as the Xbox fanbase, on which half the series is available.

Top Bottom