• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

Tigress

need more impressions :/
I'm not getting the KZ:M feels from this :/

if they do continue working on it, I hope they patch in some performance

Neither am I, and I don't think I'm supposed to. They're not really the same type game... one is a lot more light hearted for one and the shooting feels different on both (judging from Borderlands 2 on PS3). For one Killzone feels "heavier" (not a complaint, just a very different feel than Borderlands).

I played the demo at GDC, it was pretty rough in the starting area.

Then you might still want to give it a chance. At least the IGN guy tried it same time you did and said it had a lot of issues. He retried it more recently and has said they have worked a lot of those issues out (and they did say they were working on refining it).

So, the game has changed since you got to play it.

Damn, looks like I can up it to $35

I guess some one would pay that but I wouldn't when I can get the physical game and not take up my memory card as much for 5 bux more. Memory cards are too expensive on Vita, I'm not sure how Sony manages to convince people to buy digitally when it's so expensive due to the memory card. I know on the Vita not only do I prefer physical cause I'm old fashioned that way, but memory cards being that expensive it has made me more resistant to digital unless it is really cheap compared to physical/free or the only way I can get it.

wilflare

Neither am I, and I don't think I'm supposed to. They're not really the same type game... one is a lot more light hearted for one and the shooting feels different on both (judging from Borderlands 2 on PS3). For one Killzone feels "heavier" (not a complaint, just a very different feel than Borderlands).

not so much about the kind of game it is (I understand what you mean by the lighthearted vs "heavier") - but I'm not getting the KZ:M kind of polish. to be fair, they are two different games, two different engines, two different dev teams... but after seeing what can be achieved on the Vita with KZ:M, I do hope Borderlands 2 (and any other Vita FPS) come with a level of polish we've seen in KZ:M

but welp - guess I'm asking for too much

Tigress

not so much about the kind of game it is (I understand what you mean by the lighthearted vs "heavier") - but I'm not getting the KZ:M kind of polish. to be fair, they are two different games, two different engines, two different dev teams... but after seeing what can be achieved on the Vita with KZ:M, I do hope Borderlands 2 (and any other Vita FPS) come with a level of polish we've seen in KZ:M

but welp - guess I'm asking for too much

To be fair, honestly, Borderlands 2 at least on PS3 doesn't seem to have as much polish ;).

Piotrek

To be fair, honestly, Borderlands 2 at least on PS3 doesn't seem to have as much polish ;).

Same goes for X360. The framerate dips pretty badly when something explodes (eg. Monster blood) in your face so the engine doesn't handle particle effects too well. Also, many textures are ugly as hell, though I can understand that considering the scale of the game world.

Tbh I'm quite impressed they managed to pull it off on the Vita. I only hope the rest of the dlc gets released sometime in the future.

Magwik

Banned
Downloads Required
  • Install Bruteforce Save Data v4.4.2 - LINK
  • Install Visual Basic run-time files - LINK
  • Download Gibbed Save Editor - LINK

Steps
  1. Get a dummy save from your PS3 version of Borderlands 2. Simply create a new character, and quit once you're in gameplay
  2. Copy this save to your PC using via USB
  3. Open the dummy PS3 save in BFSD and select Decrypt PDF -> Decrypt All Files
  4. Now open Gibbed save editor and open your PC save. It should default to the correct directory.
  5. Change platform to PS3. Then click save. Now save this where your dummy PS3 .sav file currently is, and overwrite it.
  6. Go back to BFSD, and select Encrypt PFD - Encrypt decrypted files
  7. Then copy the PS3 save folder back onto your console from the USB, boot up the game, and you'll have your PC save on your PS3. Ready for the Vita version :D

Credit to iNvRG on se7ensins for his guide that I originally followed

Or you could upload the PS3 save to the cloud and download it on your Vita like they you can :p

MAtgS

Borderlands 2 fits 1 of my key 4 game experiences that would sell me on Vita (1. Wrestling 2. Mass Effect spin-off with transferable saves 3. Dead Rising 4. FPS WRPG) So I may finally get a Vita soon"ish" (the next 3 months are too tight for me to get any sort of gaming purchases)

rschauby

Banned
If I have a large amount of Golden Keys on my PS3 account will these show up on the Vita? I am assuming they will as part of the cross save.

Confirmation would be nice.

I have found a bigger version of the missing image
borderlands-2_PSVita_3547.jpg

(From the blog hands-on thread)

Download that to your Vita and look at it on the screen, honestly I think it looks great. Above 25 average FPS (which would be better than the PS3 version) and i'll be stunned, but i'm buying it anyway. Can't wait to play it again.

Edit:

Shall be a double dip, how is the Mechromancer?

My main class. Awesome character, especially for soloing normal and TVHM. UVHM is a total bitch though. But the robot you can summon is super, super cool. Especially with the perk that lets you shoot it with elemental weapons to change its damage type.

Too many guns and not enough framerate in this version.

This is one of those games that don't really work as they should on Vita, and that rear touch pad is horrible, you will be meleeing all the time when you don't want to, oh and meleeing interrupts reloading, very annoying.

I don't understand this complaint. Just keep your fingers off the touchpad and on the finger rests?

I don't understand this complaint. Just keep your fingers off the touchpad and on the finger rests?

I actually do the opposite on KZ. I keep my fingers on the back pad all the time (I find it more comfortable), but as it requires a tap and hold to start running it doesn't just activate constantly. Hopefully that'll work with BL2 as well.

UberTag

that would be a ridiculously uncomfortable way to hold the vita if you have grown man hands
Unless you have the Vita 2000 which has been altered to accommodate grown man hands.
Accidental rear touchpad triggering is a thing of the past.

Nydius

Hard for me to really get excited when the best of the latest videos still show the game functions at sub-30 FPS with extremely poor textures and almost no particle effects (defeating the purpose of different elemental weapons, imo) with only 2-4 enemies on screen at any given time. As for 2 player coop, I suppose that's OK so long as they balanced the entire port around this - meaning only needing 2 players to kill all of the "raid" bosses and scaling loot differently. I find it difficult to believe they've made all the balancing changes necessary to move from a game designed around 4 player coop to 2 players.

Imagine how boring the slaughter arenas are going to be when the players won't be able to see the full arena and the game only sends out 2-4 enemies at a time.

Hard for me to really get excited when the best of the latest videos still show the game functions at sub-30 FPS with extremely poor textures and almost no particle effects (defeating the purpose of different elemental weapons, imo) with only 2-4 enemies on screen at any given time. As for 2 player coop, I suppose that's OK so long as they balanced the entire port around this - meaning only needing 2 players to kill all of the "raid" bosses and scaling loot differently. I find it difficult to believe they've made all the balancing changes necessary to move from a game designed around 4 player coop to 2 players.

Imagine how boring the slaughter arenas are going to be when the players won't be able to see the full arena and the game only sends out 2-4 enemies at a time.

I'm sure an example was given of there being 10 enemies simultaneously, so i'm not worried about that. All the screenshots we've seen so far have been pre-Flynt (I think?) so within the first hour of the game. If we were seeing screenshots of like, 2 enemies in the BNKR fight, or in Opportunity, i'd maybe be a bit more worried. I'm assuming they will have rebalanced the end-game content for 2 players, but if not it'll just be more of a challenge. And I love challenges!

(Side note - I remember the 360 + PS3 versions having dreadful framerate in the Flynt battle, so i'm interested to see how well the Vita copes. All them flames...)

Worth upgrading to a 2000 just for the bigger handhelds. Playing terraria was pure torture on the 1000 but it's great on the 2000.

I think the latest update for Terraria actually gave the option of disabling the back touch?

rschauby

Banned

Please post a source for 4 enemy maximum.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
People have that much trouble with the rearpad on the OG? I haven't problem yet but I also don't have many games that use it. Slitting throats in MGS3 with the rearpad is <3

Waiting for reviews. 99.9% sure I'm buying it, the only thing that will stop me is if they didn't fix the atrocious load times (looked like 30+ seconds to load a new area in the off-screen footage from awhile back).

How the fuck does holding this back for current Vita owners help with anything?

If anything I'll spend my money on something else before it finally releases for us instead of laying that cash down this Tuesday. So stupid.

If they really think this is a way for current Vita owners to purchase this new one, fuck Sony.

Guess Who

Banned

If anything I'll spend my money on something else before it finally releases for us instead of laying that cash down this Tuesday. So stupid.

If they really think this is a way for current Vita owners to purchase this new one, fuck Sony.

What are you even talking about dude

Tigress

While I agree it's annoying they are holding back the standalone copy I really doubt Sony expects that people will just buy the Vita to get their hands on the copy 7 days earlier. I just have a hard time believing that cause it seems like really stupid reasoning and I don't see them being that stupid (Then again, I didn't think even MS would actually be stupid enough to require online for all games and I was wrong then ;) ).

And honestly, anyone that impatient that would pay for the bundle despite already having a Vita just to get Borderlands 7 days early? Well they obviously have way more money than they know what to do with if that is worth 200 dollars to them.

Though to tell the truth I'm really not sure why they are holding the standalone back.

Hey guys!

I am a little bit confused about one thing and I am sure that someone here will be able to clarify.

Both the wife and me play Borderlands 2 on different accounts. The Vita only allows one account at a time. Will we be able to use characters from both PS3 accounts on just one account on the Vita without running into trouble when transferring saves to the Vita and back to PS3?

Thanks!

Hey guys!

I am a little bit confused about one thing and I am sure that someone here will be able to clarify.

Both the wife and me play Borderlands 2 on different accounts. The Vita only allows one account at a time. Will we be able to use characters from both PS3 accounts on just one account on the Vita without running into trouble when transferring saves to the Vita and back to PS3?

Thanks!
No, your ps3 account must be the same as your vita account.

Lucifon

Unless you have the Vita 2000 which has been altered to accommodate grown man hands.
Accidental rear touchpad triggering is a thing of the past.

My fingers still touch the touchpad on the 2000, they're smaller but not THAT small. It's just the comfortable way to hold the thing.

bennyc12

Sorry if I just didn't see it anywhere, but what is the file size for this game?

I'm also curious about this -- I haven't seen it announced officially anywhere. From what I understand, Vita downloads are capped at 4GB as a limitation of the filesystem. I would suspect that it's going to be pushing that size, given Vanilla BL2 on PS3 is around 5.3 GB, with each DLC weighing in around 1GB.

maouvin

I'm also curious about this -- I haven't seen it announced officially anywhere. From what I understand, Vita downloads are capped at 4GB as a limitation of the filesystem. I would suspect that it's going to be pushing that size, given Vanilla BL2 on PS3 is around 5.3 GB, with each DLC weighing in around 1GB.

There's at least one Vita game released only on PSN for being bigger than 4GB (cant remember which one, guess its jp only), so I think the 4gb thing is for the cart only.

But a little under 4gb for the game and under a gig for the campaign dlcs seems reasonable.

Colin Moriarty: Just got our review copies of Borderlands 2 on Vita. Could be indicative of what Sony thinks of it. We'll see! Review soon via @Vincogneato.
https://twitter.com/notaxation/status/463450756725501952

Hmmm. That's not a great sign. I really hope this turns out well. I just want to know at this point though.

Probably more indicative of how Sony feels about the Vita in general. I don't trust Gearbox as far as I can throw 'em, but those screens look great. I'm not buying this at full price since I really did not enjoy either Borderlands games (loot games don't grab me), but I'd really like to see it be just as good as BL 2 since I might just be more likely to enjoy it as a handheld, smaller-gaming-session type game, we'll see.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Holy crap a reviewer tweeted that the base game. Is 5.4gb!

Feel bad for the new bundle owners that decide keep the game. Probably should have bundled with an actual physical copy since that's about 3/4s or more of the whole 8gb memory card if they don't buy a 16/32gb memory card the same day.

Probably more indicative of how Sony feels about the Vita in general. I don't trust Gearbox as far as I can throw 'em, but those screens look great. I'm not buying this at full price since I really did not enjoy either Borderlands games (loot games don't grab me), but I'd really like to see it be just as good as BL 2 since I might just be more likely to enjoy it as a handheld, smaller-gaming-session type game, we'll see.

For what it's worth, Iron Galaxy is doing this port and they have a pretty good track record (mostly with fighting game ports though).

But who knows. We'll know this time tomorrow how it turned out I guess.

Top Bottom