• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Insider says Xbox One has sold 41 million units.

I don't believe it. I think it'd be closer to the MAU numbers they release. Sony said their MAUs were at 90 mil while sales at 91 mil. If Gold has 59 mil MAUs then sales should be around that. Considering pc is mostly going to be steam, gog or, soon, Epic, closer to 60 is not unbelievable.

Dabaus

Banned
^When someone changes subjects that much it's best to just let things fly.

Every E3 (outside one) MS has announced new retail games to come out the same year, so we may get another game or 2.

How Xbox will do this year will depend on the momentum started by CrackDown 3. It got massive delays, a release date, another delay, and then another delay near the second release date. If it's a great game it will be a great start to the year, if it's poor well.....................................................................................................

I mean the second half can pick things up if it ends up being bad, however, that would still leave Xbox with a bad first half of the year, something that's been an issue every year for Xbox One outside of 2014.

So here's hoping CD3 is good, or doesn't get delayed again.

There is not much Microsoft can do though, they've already been selling the xbox for 199 and its at best helped them keep pace with the ps4 at 299 in the US. Late 2019 MS has gears 5 but im skeptical a female lead gears game is what gear heads are clamoring for. It will sell fine and review good but I don't think it will expand the gears audience and will probably turn a few fans off.

As for the 41 million the bulk of Sales have been US centric and we can see in European sales charts that xbox is irrelevant. Where do you think more sales are coming from and why are these sales not reflected on software sales charts?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't believe it. I think it'd be closer to the MAU numbers they release. Sony said their MAUs were at 90 mil while sales at 91 mil. If Gold has 59 mil MAUs then sales should be around that. Considering pc is mostly going to be steam, gog or, soon, Epic, closer to 60 is not unbelievable.

That's not how this works.

Its Resident Evil. That's hardly a franchise geared mainly for Japanese audiences.

Yet like other Japanese games traditionally sells more on Sony systems.

It's a well-established worldwide IP, lol.

Anyways.

And you have no clue what you're talking about.

Check the Red dead 2 split.

Which was marketed by Sony and still isn't above 70%.

Resident Evil through MANY entries that were on both a MS and Sony console were lopsided to Sony. It's not a good example when most of the AAA games are closer. You're talking about a game that has a near 75% of the pie chart. That's not common in the UK, at all, except for japanese games.

Dabaus

Banned
Yet like other Japanese games traditionally sells more on Sony systems.

And you have no clue what you're talking about.

Which was marketed by Sony and still isn't above 70%.

Resident Evil through MANY entries that were on both a MS and Sony console were lopsided to Sony. It's not a good example when most of the AAA games are closer. You're talking about a game that has a near 75% of the pie chart. That's not common in the UK, at all, except for japanese games.

I cant remember off the top my head what the exact split was but it was something like 67:33 or somewhere in that ballpark. So my question to you is, if 41 million is wrong, where is this stock pile of sold Xboxes that are not being reflected on software sales charts?

Ok fake insider.

it's ok to be wrong man. We can start with post RE6 till now and prove your ignorant together if you want?

I cant remember off the top my head what the exact split was but it was something like 67:33 or somewhere in that ballpark. So my question to you is, if 41 million is wrong, where is this stock pile of sold Xboxes that are not being reflected on software sales charts?

This question doesn't make any sense. You're using the UK for global charts for 41 million Xbox One sales.

You already were corrected in your last statement, most the AAA games don't have a 74+ % pie grab for the PS4, that's usually for Japanese games and some exceptions.

The fact you are already curious on Xbox software sales based on the 41 million also makes your question collapse in on yourself. Especially since the gap between the Xbox one and the UK isn't that large. Just because the PS4 has a bigger software advantage on average (but not 70+%) due to its install base doesn't mean that software sales=hard ware sales.

You're using very flawed reasoning (based on one country) to try and connected software rates to hardware sales when that doesn't make sense. Germany was massively pro PS3, yet despite 360 software, post early window, barely appearing on charts and in most cases, never showing on charts outside certain titles, millions were still sold.

Also as I said the ~5 million Xbox Ones to 6+ million PS4's in the UK also throws that theory out the window in the one country you're using as a base. (which isn't how that works)

it's not quantity of titles on the charts it's how many are moved of a single title. Forza Horizon 3 alone made up a lot of PS4 software advantages, hence why PS4 won't have anything near a 360 level domination over the Xbox One there.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
UK Analyst Zhuge has shared on other place some sales information that may be interesting to many.

Now Zhuge has been wrong before, but he claims that he had seen this through actual data sources from trackers, so it seems that the Xbox One is around 41 million units sold. This does show a rise up the last two years from the two years before which shows that Xbox is moving upwards, and it is likely to end the Gen before its discontinuation, post price drops for S and X to $199 and below over the next few years, to likely around 60 million, along with whatever the maverick sales
Are you sure a Hellpoint dev. didn't say it first?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

US NPD alone is already around 25 not including the rest of NA and the UK, that would mean the UK + all other regions sold LESS than 10 million over 5 + years which is literally impossible. I mean Zhuge is frequently inaccurate but at least he isn't that low.

That doesn’t sound impossible. PS4 is around 6M UK, so Xbox would probably be 4-5 and then it’s all downhill with the rest of the world.

Evilms

Banned
wbv3CSE.png

meirl

Banned
Also, how the fuck is this „BREAKING NEWS“? it’s not like it has been confirmed by any official source. (That would be breaking).

Dabaus

Banned
it's ok to be wrong man. We can start with post RE6 till now and prove your ignorant together if you want?

This question doesn't make any sense. You're using the UK for global charts for 41 million Xbox One sales.

You already were corrected in your last statement, most the AAA games don't have a 74+ % pie grab for the PS4, that's usually for Japanese games and some exceptions.

The fact you are already curious on Xbox software sales based on the 41 million also makes your question collapse in on yourself. Especially since the gap between the Xbox one and the UK isn't that large. Just because the PS4 has a bigger software advantage on average (but not 70+%) due to its install base doesn't mean that software sales=hard ware sales.

You're using very flawed reasoning (based on one country) to try and connected software rates to hardware sales when that doesn't make sense. Germany was massively pro PS3, yet despite 360 software, post early window, barely appearing on charts and in most cases, never showing on charts outside certain titles, millions were still sold.

Also as I said the ~5 million Xbox Ones to 6+ million PS4's in the UK also throws that theory out the window in the one country you're using as a base. (which isn't how that works)

it's not quantity of titles on the charts it's how many are moved of a single title. Forza Horizon 3 alone made up a lot of PS4 software advantages, hence why PS4 won't have anything near a 360 level domination over the Xbox One there.

Im using the UK because its MS's second best market and weve seen sales become even more lopsided as the years go on. The most recent call of duty was split was like 60:40, red dead 2 was almost 70:30. These aren't niche Japanese games, these are AAA western blockbusters and their skewing HARD for playstation right now.

You keep arguing that 41 million isn't right and yet soft ware chart after software chart MS's is down by a lot if theyre even on the chart at all.

That doesn’t sound impossible. PS4 is around 6M UK, so Xbox would probably be 4-5 and then it’s all downhill with the rest of the world.

35 is impossible. Around 30 would be US and UK alone. You'd be saying that Xbox one across 56+ years hasn't sold more than 5 million outside those two countries which is not even feasible.

Three

MAU are not gold subscribers. Gold subscribers are considerably less than MAU. MAUs also include all platforms. Windows, mobile, xbox 1, 360, PS4, PS3 etc.

Man, you talk down to everyone on here, huh, and never back it up.

You keep entering conversations to lose Mr.china. Depenigma was offered a break down of him being wrong, he never responded and instead decided to run like a dog and like your post in the background. So he's shown his colors, as have you. Please go derail some threads or something so you stop making dumb response that keep being wrong Mr.china.

Im using the UK because its MS's second best market and weve seen sales become even more lopsided as the years go on. The most recent call of duty was split was like 60:40, red dead 2 was almost 70:30. These aren't niche Japanese games, these are AAA western blockbusters and their skewing HARD for playstation right now.

You keep arguing that 41 million isn't right and yet soft ware chart after software chart MS's is down by a lot if theyre even on the chart at all.

You keep throwing out ratios that don't debunk my previous point. You used a Japanese game that is a category that often has 70%+ ratios in favor of the PS4 and that with traditional AAA games otherwise is uncommon.

Secondly, you ignore the rest of my post because it collapses you argument. Software quantity on a list doesn't equal hardware sales, a stance that you shouldn't even have because it doesn't make sense, it's how much the software that does chart sales on their own (in terms of moving consoles per purchase.)

the UK's own sales numbers make your theory completely irrelevant. There is a small gap between the Xbox one and the UK compared to other European countries with similar ratios or worse, so you trying to act like these are connected to sales just doesn't make any sense. If they were the PS4 would be at least having "half" the 360's dominance over the Xbox One, it doesn't. So clearly your theory of software sales doesn't apply to sales in the COUNTRY YOU ARE USING.

I hope these crazy sentences stem from the fact that you are a MS insider with information but don't want investors locking you up for fraud

/s

Literally takes seconds of research to get the NPD and UK numbers I posted. Nice try though. Especially since it was in response of someone claiming the Xbox One sold 35 million, which is impossible, since UK and NPD alone is around 30. But I see you're trying to take that convo out of context, sneaky sneaky.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You know Afro Republican Afro Republican , you talk a lot of shit, and you talked down to other people, but it's all skewed on personal opinions and not actual facts.

And whenever something is boosting in sales, like you did with the VR thread and it's not a company of your choice, it's an "anomaly".

It's hard to have serious conversations based on sales data in something that should be objective, when you're always coming in with personal bias. Much like your heavily biased polls prior.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
TSDR; "Too stupid, didn't read"

Nobody knows the true number...just give it up folks.

It's hard to have serious conversations based on sales data in something that should be objective, when you're always coming in with personal bias. Much like your heavily biased polls prior.

It's also hard to have serious conversations about sales data when their is no actual proof that shows the true number. There's been plenty of threads about this. Everybody takes the information and adds their spin on it. You know why that happens? There's no proof that the numbers are real and so its left up to the interpretation of whoever is looking at it.

Its fun to speculate about somethings...this is just not one of them.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
35 is impossible. Around 30 would be US and UK alone. You'd be saying that Xbox one across 56+ years hasn't sold more than 5 million outside those two countries which is not even feasible.
Well, it's selling 2 Xboxs a week in Japan. Asia isn't far off. So don't be too surprised.

I invited you to come forth and we could discuss the traditional RE slants toward PS with numbers and you ran off wimpering and now you come back again wimpering and avoiding the invitation yet again. You never even attempted a conversation just yelling at the clouds.

Meanwhile, I'm in another conversation talking about how one guys prediction of 35 million for Xbox sales is impossible since the Uk sales is around 5 million and the NPD sales are near 25, actual numbers, that would put it's sales at 30 million alone with only those two, making a ltd of 35 million implausible, unless MS in all other countries sold 5 million only within 5+ years. Actual numbers. Or the other guy that's trying to tie software sales to hardware sales, which factually, doesn't make sense.

You know using numbers.

Don't forget the fact that you in another thread are trying to validate unreliable superdata, and trying to act like a random 700,000 for PSVR makes any actual sense. Looking around other place and reddit will net you information that will help you realize that the info is likely either completely false or has many errors.

Edit: tonedown.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Who the fuck cares where Zhuge is from. It's that type of petty shit and thread derailment as to why it's not even worth getting into a conversation with you.

There is no point because you will always come back with a goal post somewhere else.

Three

Literally takes seconds of research to get the NPD and UK numbers I posted. Nice try though. Especially since it was in response of someone claiming the Xbox One sold 35 million, which is impossible, since UK and NPD alone is around 30. But I see you're trying to take that convo out of context, sneaky sneaky.

So post them? The NPD numbers would align with the 25million and I would be interested to see what you have for UK numbers. I don't care about the 35M estimate but you are even saying 41M is lowballing it so share what this data that takes seconds to get is because it would literally take me seconds to get anyway so must not be that valuable. Then please tell me how and what countries you think make up that difference.

leo-j

Xbox one will end around 50-55 million if the new xbox launches next year. They are down slightly in YTD sales in 2018, and have little compelling software to sell another 8 million this year. Them being 229 with a game everywhere vs a 299 ps4 with a game is the only thing working for them, that and a more powerful 4K system but that's 399-499 everywhere.

the question is whether or not they turn the xOne into a streamer for the X two or whatever they call it, and keep selling them as a family unit to keep the numbers going.

Also if they launch the system late this year (which I totally expect because they'll want a half a year plus head start on sony, and they already mentioned a new xbox twice. ) or early next year vs Late next year into 2021.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
UK Analyst Zhuge has shared on other place some sales information that may be interesting to many.

Now Zhuge has been wrong before, but he claims that he had seen this through actual data sources from trackers, so it seems that the Xbox One is around 41 million units sold. This does show a rise up the last two years from the two years before which shows that Xbox is moving upwards, and it is likely to end the Gen before its discontinuation, post price drops for S and X to $199 and below over the next few years, to likely around 60 million, along with whatever the maverick sales

Forwards Compatibility could change this whole dynamic. Depends on how they market it.

Edited for being lazy:
Forwards compatibility could extend the lifecycle of the X...so it may not be discontinued in a few years. I, personally am considering just keeping my X until prices for Anaconda come down and buy a PS5 in the meantime so I don't miss out on any games.

Last edited:
Who the fuck cares where Zhuge is from. It's that type of petty shit and thread derailment as to why it's not even worth getting into a conversation with you.

There is no point because you will always come back with a goal post somewhere else.

I like how you accuse me of moving the goal post, but you, for the third time, dodge my invitation to talk about RE slants for the PS4 to whine again poor guy. Ignored the other points as well. How's that 700,000 PSVR?

So post them? The NPD numbers would align with the 25million and I would be interested to see what you have for UK numbers. I don't care about the 35M estimate but you are even saying 41M is lowballing it so share what this data that takes seconds to get is because it would literally take me seconds to get anyway so must not be that valuable. Then please tell me how and what countries you think make up that difference.

You're trying to combine two different conversations. I said the 41 million was wrong, because it is, and that will be evident at a certain point. Has nothing to do with the other separate conversation. That's deceptive.

And based on the numbers you CAN look up both the 41 and the 35 are both wrong by common sense logic unless you think the Xbox didn't sell more than 5 million 10 million in ALL the other countries, outside two, in heading toward 6 years. Which not only doesn't make sense, but makes even less when you consider that the Xbox one was ahead of the 360 in parts of Europe, earlier. And some areas it dominated outside those two countries, like Mexico etc.

Last edited:
10M over those countries sounds even less feasible.

Well as i said above this only applies if you haven't been keeping track of Xbox news or forgotten over the years.

Remember until 2016 Xbox One was ahead of the 360 in several European countries. You also have Mexico and South America, and Africa/Middle East, and the rising Eastern Europe that is rarely mentioned (smash hit launch in Russia for example) with 2018 numbers that haven't be put out. So surely those had increased since then.

Xbox's sales situation is not as good as the 360 overall but it's no where near as poor as people believe either.

Three

I like how you accuse me of moving the goal post, but you, for the third time, dodge my invitation to talk about RE slants for the PS4 to whine again poor guy. Ignored the other points as well. How's that 700,000 PSVR?

You're trying to combine two different conversations. I said the 41 million was wrong, because it is, and that will be evident at a certain point. Has nothing to do with the other separate conversation. That's deceptive.

And based on the numbers you CAN look up both the 41 and the 35 are both wrong by common sense logic unless you think the Xbox didn't sell more than 5 million 10 million in ALL the other countries, outside two, in heading toward 6 years. Which not only doesn't make sense, but makes even less when you consider that the Xbox one was ahead of the 360 in parts of Europe, earlier. And some areas it dominated outside those two countries, like Mexico etc.

Vague comments without data as expected. What's deceptive is your statements here. The Xbox One was ahead of the 360 in 'parts of Europe', 'Earlier'. How much was it ahead and where? 2 consoles on launch week in Finland? Mind actually providing some data that would refute something rather than ambiguous comments? Xbox one is behind 360 launch aligned. To use the 360 which was likely doing not so great in those European countries to begin with as a way to suggest they make up the numbers when it comes to the XB1 is deceptive and provides zero information.
At the very least provide some lower limits you expect for some specific countries that people with data can fact check.

Vague comments without data as expected. What's deceptive is your statements here. The Xbox One was ahead of the 360 in 'parts of Europe', 'Earlier'. How much was it ahead and where? 2 consoles on launch week in Finland?

All you haven't proven is you have no interest in this subject and are only trying to start a ruckus. Neogaf sales threads didn't vanish when the swamp moved to resetera, they are still there. Heck if you actually looked at the post above you I even gave 2016 as a year. At least that's the last data I can find on the subject. Where the One was ahead of the 360. in countries like Germany etc.

But hey, you're just pretending being interested in this subject anyway. or else you would have searched gaf for something instead of making immediate reactionary responses.

Last edited:

demigod

Really, nobody except Afro is arguing where Zhuge is from. Im not even arguing with him about that but he wants to cling onto it like it matters.

What matters is we have a wannabe insider who doesn’t have the balls to back up his claim.

Really, nobody except Afro is arguing where Zhuge is from.

Well not only is this statement a lie, but also tried to fuse two separate conversations together. If you have nothing leave instead of trying to make a fake show to confuse onlookers to save face.

Also I gave Deepenigma an option to go over his wrong statement and three times he ran and tried to move the subject. Not surprising.

Oh well, since the thread has devolved into cheap tricks and trying to fuse conversations to confuse onlookers, I guess there's nothing really to continue on, at least with you guys anyway, the guys actually trying to have a discussion are good.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well not only is this statement a lie, but also tried to fuse two separate conversations together. If you have nothing leave instead of trying to make a fake show to confuse onlookers to save face.

Also I gave Deepenigma an option to go over his wrong statement and three times he ran and tried to move the subject. Not surprising.

What wrong statement is that? Resident Evil has always been a worldwide brand. Your argument against it because the system you prefer is being anemic with purchasing it doesn't change that fact.

For fuck sakes we have westernized B rated movies that kept getting made due to its popularity, and now Netflix is jumping on that live action TV series joint.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

I need a poll to make sense out of all this.

What wrong statement is that? Resident Evil has always been a worldwide brand. Your argument against it because the system you prefer is being anemic with purchasing it doesn't change that fact.

For fuck sakes we have westernized B rated movies that kept getting made due to its popularity.

You're strategy is to pretend to be stupid and act like you didn't know what my earlier post said.

My claim was that the 70+% gap was common for japanese games, that's a fact, your whining about it being a worldwide brand does not dispute the claim. most of the highest ratios are for japanese games, and with most other AAA games, as the poster stated earlier, this is not the case. This is also true.

You turned it into "RE is some wacky Japanese game" I never did. Nothing I said was actually wrong. You also threw back my other response that RE is often slanted to PS, and when i offered to go over that you fled multiple times.

Welp, seems you prefer garbage level deception instead of conversation, good day.

Three

All you haven't proven is you have no interest in this subject and are only trying to start a ruckus. Neogaf sales threads didn't vanish when the swamp moved to resetera, they are still there. Heck if you actually looked at the post above you I even gave 2016 as a year. At least that's the last data I can find on the subject. Where the One was ahead of the 360. in countries like Germany etc.

But hey, you're just pretending being interested in this subject anyway. or else you would have searched gaf for something instead of making immediate reactionary responses.

I visit every sales thread so it has nothing to do with pretending to be interested. You pretend you can provide figures and that they are widely available yet do not provide them. Germany Europe's second largest console market would give an upper limit of what for the Xbox One based on 360 sales? 3million? You have that data, right?

Don't pretend I have no interest in the subject to excuse yourself from providing any actual information when I'm clearly showing interest in the supposed data you have, the one that is 'widely available' and therefore no reason to be secretive about.

Last edited:

demigod

So whats your source if you claim it to be wrong?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is why I don't have conversations with you, you insert such condescending words like "whining", etc., when trying to have a normal conversation.

Fuck off with your holier-than-thou noise, you have never provided any numbers or any facts to the shit that you claim are wrong and talk down to others for.

I'll say it one more time, Resident Evil is a worldwide brand and every bit as Western as it is made in Japan.

"Xbox Gamers not buying it because it's a Japanese game" is pure rubbish of a reason. Every bit of a rubbish reason that I could say that they just have poor taste in games then.

Stupid, unprovable anecdotes trying to pass off as facts.

Last edited:
Ok, ok, let's back up here.

I know Zhuge doesn't have access to the COMPLETE total of Xbox One sales due to regions having outdated reports or some not being covered by the big 5. But at least we have most of the sales.

At least that's the last data I can find on the subject. Where the One was ahead of the 360. in countries like Germany etc.

Issue with this is that since 2017 we haven't gotten any new sales reports to gauge how well the Xbox is doing in those countries today outside Spain. France was 715k iirc so the Xbox One may be over 1 million there but we ave no way of knowing.

Forwards Compatibility could change this whole dynamic. Depends on how they market it.

Edited for being lazy:
Forwards compatibility could extend the lifecycle of the X...so it may not be discontinued in a few years. I, personally am considering just keeping my X until prices for Anaconda come down and buy a PS5 in the meantime so I don't miss out on any games.

The X seems to be selling well, and in a few regions is selling more than the S. I wouldn't be surprised seeing price drops increase sales.

As for the other stuff going on in the thread, we've had people go straight to insults on all sides which doesn't help the thread. let's all relax and hope we get more info to understand the sales numbers we do have, which at the moment is 41 million.

1st half of the generation we occasionally got reports from several European countries about sales, but we haven't got that for awhile so we don't know how well Xbox has done there, or how poorly. For all we know Xbox passed 1 million in France and Germany, or it completely died and is selling a couple thousand a week.

Top Bottom