• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Insider says Xbox One has sold 41 million units.

Elenchus

Banned
It's a spanish word, moron. It's derived from the word greek being used to mean "incomprehensible" and was quite widely used wholesomely during the time I lived in Spain, Argentina and Chile to refer to foreigners of any origin. That it has different connotations specifically in NA is irrelevant. The comparison to the N word is a false equivalence.

By the way, fun fact "black" is actually more offensive than the n word in several languages. ^^
But of course, your USA centrist perspective is expected... you guys never seem to realize you're only 5% of the world.

So you’re trying to establish that there was no derisive intent by hurling another derisive term? Do you actually know what moron means? Probably a guy who begins a debate with a personal insult. If you can’t deal with a dissenting opinion and control yourself don’t bother responding to me. I have no patience for thin skinned foreigners.

I'll say it one more time, Resident Evil is a worldwide brand and every bit as Western as it is made in Japan.

You keep trying to desperately turn this into me saying "RE is some eastern game" when i never said that. All to save face.

My POINT was that the follows the japanese development game trend of having a high percentage toward the PS4 of over 70%+ this is true. I also said that it's NOT as common for other AAA games, this is also true, You have not debunked a SINGLE thing, and are trying your best to be deceptive and change what the post was really about.

You also ignored the fact that you came back at me for saying RE for awhile has been slanted toward Sony. You of course continue to ignore this, and the invitation I gave you to go over that, and omit me mentioning it during your posts to be nothing more than dishonest. You aren't really showing a good example of what your whining at me about yourself.

We have some heat in the thread over the word Gringo and sales, let's all just sit back and get back on topic here.

Now, I acknowledge Zhuge may not have had he best track record, he was banned on old gaf, but he should have at least most the information since he has access to the big trackers. Sure, some parts of Europe are still question marks, and many regions aren't covered by the big trackers, but we at least have something to go on.

I think the 41 million, which could be 45+ for all we know, is pretty good. If you think about how Microsoft launched in only 13 countries, had massive confusion over its policies, has regulated entire countries to 2nd-rate, and cost $100 more than its competition, Microsoft should have done Wii U levels.

To give Microsoft credit, being in the 40's range at this point at all, whether 40 million or 49 million is pretty damn good. It's not a complete turn-around but they damn sure fixed the ship and stopped it from sinking. Now they are ready to launch the offensive with better hardware and multiple studio purchases.

It's a pretty exciting time to jump into Xbox, next generation will be much better guarantee. Phil just got access to a bigger cut of the budget for Xbox itself, that can only mean great things.

Z..

So you’re trying to establish that there was no derisive intent by hurling another derisive term? Do you actually know what moron means? Probably a guy who begins a debate with a personal insult. If you can’t deal with a dissenting opinion and control yourself don’t bother responding to me. I have no patience for thin skinned foreigners.

Where was I trying to establish there was no derisive intent? I was merely remarking how the word gringo by itself is not insulting, the way it was used by the other poster was indeed derogatory but the word itself sees plenty of usage in ways that are not derogatory in the slightest. The derisive term I hurled isn't related to my previous point, it was hurled at you personally for even beginning to compare it to the N word since it is an undeniable false equivalence and therefore fallacious.

I didn't begin any debate with an insulted, I only insulted you in my second post and only after you revealed yourself to be a bit stupid by even attempting to draw such a comparison. Why would you assume I can't deal with a dissenting opinion just because I refuted it's legitimacy, there's no logical connection between those 2. I should have kept my composure and not resorted to insults but you literally compared the N word to gringo as a slur, that is just dowright idiotic.

Regarding the bolded... not sure what you mean, I'm not upset or offended at all. The statement in itself is very ironic considering the whole situation, though, I'll give you that much!

Last edited:
The majority of the games slant towards Sony, it's called install base and brand recognition.

Do you often do this dishonest crap when you're losing an argument? You know what I said, i explains that Japanese games usually skew often 70%+ and others don't, you changing this to install base doesn't disprove my point. You know this, but decided to go down scum route till the end?

Baffling.

demigod

You know if the 41 mil was way off, MS would’ve tweeted that its wrong by now but they haven’t.

Do you often do this dishonest crap when you're losing an argument? You know what I said, i explains that Japanese games usually skew often 70%+ and others don't, you changing this to install base doesn't disprove my point. You know this, but decided to go down scum route till the end?

Baffling.

Lol losing an argument, the one thats losing is you, you just can’t accept it. Btw im still waiting on your sources.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Baffling.

You are always right.

You win at the internet. A winner is you!

Last edited:
Well we have some data up to end of 2018...

US: 24.5m
UK: Near 5m
Spain: Almost 375k
JP: doesn’t matter

We are missing a lot of data. We used to get a lot more years ago, even for the Wii U, but seems like European trackers aren't interested in giving out numbers anymore. :(

Hoping some trackers leak something out so we can get latest numbers.

You know if the 41 mil was way off, MS would’ve tweeted that its wrong by now but they haven’t.

MS hasn't really responded to sales guesses often, so I don't think that would happen. 41 million should be most of what's tracked though even if it is wrong. Can't be much higher than 45 imo.

Also lets all relax now.

Vawn

Banned

Baffling.

He isn't wrong.

Man. Get out of here with this constant harassment of members. Go to GameFAQs if you just want to belittle people and state your opinions as facts

TLZ

Banned
Well as i said above this only applies if you haven't been keeping track of Xbox news or forgotten over the years.

Remember until 2016 Xbox One was ahead of the 360 in several European countries. You also have Mexico and South America, and Africa/Middle East, and the rising Eastern Europe that is rarely mentioned (smash hit launch in Russia for example) with 2018 numbers that haven't be put out. So surely those had increased since then.

Xbox's sales situation is not as good as the 360 overall but it's no where near as poor as people believe either.
I can confirm to you Africa/Middle East is not Xbox territory. So forget counting on them for anything.

And wtf is with this thread? Everyone's too aggressive and gone off topic. Petty arguments over where Zhuge lives, what gringo means and someone calling people foreigners in a sales thread? What the actual?

Elenchus

Banned
Where was I trying to establish there was no derisive intent? I was merely remarking how the word gringo by itself is not insulting, the way it was used by the other poster was indeed derogatory but the word itself sees plenty of usage in ways that are not derogatory in the slightest. The derisive term I hurled isn't related to my previous point, it was hurled at you personally for even beginning to compare it to the N word since it is an undeniable false equivalence and therefore fallacious.

I didn't begin any debate with an insulted, I only insulted you in my second post and only after you revealed yourself to be a bit stupid by even attempting to draw such a comparison. Why would you assume I can't deal with a dissenting opinion just because I refuted it's legitimacy, there's no logical connection between those 2. I should have kept my composure and not resorted to insults but you literally compared the N word to gringo as a slur, that is just dowright idiotic.

Regarding the bolded... not sure what you mean, I'm not upset or offended at all. The statement in itself is very ironic considering the whole situation, though, I'll give you that much!

The bolded was just bait. Your willingness to gobble it up so quickly gives me a good sense of your level of intelligence (or lack thereof frankly). In any event, now that you’ve given the thumbs up for gringos, you’re in no position to complain about foreigners. I’ll use the term as often as I see fit going forward. Thanks for clarifying the language policy.

Elenchus

Banned

Lol losing an argument, the one thats losing is you, you just can’t accept it. Btw im still waiting on your sources.

Also, this is pretty funny stuff. Every tweet is fact unless MS fervently denies it within 24 hrs. Lol. A new rule worthy of Mr. Maher himself.

Z..

The bolded was just bait. Your willingness to gobble it up so quickly gives me a good sense of your level of intelligence (or lack thereof frankly). In any event, now that you’ve given the thumbs up for gringos, you’re in no position to complain about foreigners. I’ll use the term as often as I see fit going forward. Thanks for clarifying the language policy.
Honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

II_JumPeR_I

These numbers are wrong. Zhuge has no source to give him WW sales (there literally is no way he can do this), and MS will be shutting that down themselves in a few months, just wait. 41 million is literally impossible unless Microsoft sold nothing the last 5 months.

E3 we will finally hear something about sales numbers so just wait.
Agree. He claims this number of 35-40 million for months/years now.
I doubt XboxOne is that low still.
45 to 50 million is more likely IMO

MS wasn't quick at all, the EA numbers were swirled around for some time until partners started be living them reportedly.

Even then, MS rarely responds to rumors.

I expect a full announce ment of 60 million shipped before a the Xbox successor. While still losing, 60 million is nothing to sneeze at.

Vawn

Banned
MS wasn't quick at all, the EA numbers were swirled around for some time until partners started be living them reportedly.

Even then, MS rarely responds to rumors.

I expect a full announce ment of 60 million shipped before a the Xbox successor. While still losing, 60 million is nothing to sneeze at.

60 million lifetime sales doesn't sound impressive by 2019 standards.

Bryank75

Banned
Microsoft never gave us any number, just shipped and MAUs.
I give Zhuge more credit this time. He is a nice guy and share many others sales info with us.
He's not a very nice guy but he is probably on point with his figures. I suggested Sony could sell 5m psvr units by end of generation.... This was 2 years or so back, he made some snide comment and blocked me after I had been very supportive of him before he got his current position.
Turns out I might be correct when all is said and done.

Foxbat

Banned
No. Looks like you're being salty about Sony. That's literally all you do and you complain about others being fanboys.

I'm being salty about Sony in a MS thread? Yeah, you're trying a bit too hard there buddy, but that's no surprise as that's your MO.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm sure someone has compiled US NPD sales of Xbox over the years.

Canada and UK will contribute too as they support Xbox as well...... though total population is probably only 100 mill or so total vs. US at 330 mill or whatever.

Rest of world is hardly any Xbox sales.

I'll ballpark this.......

Whatever US Xbox sales are now....... X

Canada/UK total Xbox sales........ 1/3rd of X

Rest of world....... 1/3rd of X

Total sales...... X + .33X + .33X

Am I close?

Dabaus

Banned
If us sales are 24.5 million and the uk is 5 million then I think 41 million is too high. No way does rest of the world make up an 11-12 million gap.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I'm sure someone has compiled US NPD sales of Xbox over the years.

Canada and UK will contribute too as they support Xbox as well...... though total population is probably only 100 mill or so total vs. US at 330 mill or whatever.

Rest of world is hardly any Xbox sales.

I'll ballpark this.......

Whatever US Xbox sales are now....... X

Canada/UK total Xbox sales........ 1/3rd of X

Rest of world....... 1/3rd of X

Total sales...... X + .33X + .33X

Am I close?

NPD includes Canada. Don’t recall if Mexico is also included within it.

NPD = 24M
UK = 5M
Japan = 105,000

29.1M = NPD + UK + Japan

41M = Zhuge estimate.

41M - 29.1M = 11.9M Rest of the World

That 11.9M number sounds far to high to me.
Most countries will be around the Japan number if not less. Xbox is not a big seller outside of the NPD and UK.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

NPD = 24M
UK = 5M
Japan = 105,000

29.1M = NPD + UK + Japan

41M = Zhuge estimate.

Most countries will be around the Japan number if not less. Xbox is not a big seller outside of the NPD and UK.
Pretty sure NPD is USA only.

demigod

NPD = 24M
UK = 5M
Japan = 105,000

29.1M = NPD + UK + Japan

41M = Zhuge estimate.

I looked back and NPD only covers USA. That pie says North America so its in that 62%.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even if npd is just us, Canada and Mexico are not making up a 12 million gap.
Canada is probably 1/10th the US, which is around 2.5M.

Then all the France, Spains, Germany etc..... No doubt PS sells more. But adding up all the Euro countries will add up even if PS outsells them 5:1 or more.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If anything, most other big countries will be more than Japan's 100,000.

Without even looking at any European data source, I'm pretty confident Xbox One sales in France,m Spain, Germany etc.... are more than 100,000 each.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm being salty about Sony in a MS thread? Yeah, you're trying a bit too hard there buddy, but that's no surprise as that's your MO.

You say a lot of ridiclous stuff on this forum and then try to claim you're not a fanboy.

Example:

Foxbat said:
TLOU2 - 3rd person cinematic featuring stealth bush hiding.
GoT - 3rd person cinematic featuring stealth bush hiding.
Days Gone - 3rd person cinematic featuring stealth bush hiding.
FF7 - It's not made by a 1st party dev, so it has potential. Who knows when it's coming.
Wild - I forgot all about this game seeing as it hasn't been mentioned in almost 4 years. Scalebound has more hype than this game, and that's a canceled game.
Dreams - This game could actually diversify Sony's portfolio... Of course I played Project Spark years ago, so I have no interest.
Erica - Completely throwing away any excuse to not use the term 'movie games', Erica is literally just a movie... Sold as a game.

Even if npd is just us, Canada and Mexico are not making up a 12 million gap.

You Do realize that even though the PS4 is selling more than XB, it's still selling millions in in Europe right?

Over time many people started using absolutes in regards to Xbox, that's why people ignore the that the 360 despite losing Europe handily to the PS3 still sold around 35 million in Europe.

For example, the Xbox One was at 715k in France some years ago outpacing the head start Wii U which was 750k, with predictions Xbox would likely go over 1 million or just make it by the end of the year post holiday seasons.

It's likely over 2 million now if not just behind it at minimum.

People also forget that Xbox One sold a million consoles in 24 hours before the US was even counted and only a bit of the UK because they did the release times right to left globally.

Remember the 360 was slapped by the PS3 in Europe, even with Kinect, but sold around 35 million in Europe.

If you think it's too high then that would make the Xbox One sales near oroginal Xbox sales in Europe and that's not possible.

60 million lifetime sales doesn't sound impressive by 2019 standards.

Well for one I was talking about before the next consoles not full Ltd.

But why are you tying to act like 60 million Isn't a good number? Especially after how this gen started? And how it's going to be 2 years shorter than the last one?

ethomaz

Banned
You Do realize that even though the PS4 is selling more than XB, it's still selling millions in in Europe right?

Over time many people started using absolutes in regards to Xbox, that's why people ignore the that the 360 despite losing Europe handily to the PS3 still sold around 35 million in Europe.

For example, the Xbox One was at 715k in France some years ago outpacing the head start Wii U which was 750k, with predictions Xbox would likely go over 1 million or just make it by the end of the year post holiday seasons.

People also forget that Xbox One sold a million consoles in 24 hours before the US was even counted and only a bit of the UK because they did the release times right to left globally.

Remember the 360 was slapped by the PS3 in Europe, even with Kinect, but sold around 35 million in Europe.

If you think it's too high then that would make the Xbox One sales near oroginal Xbox sales in Europe and that's not possible.
France XB1 sales as of March, 2017.

Xbox One : 1,026 millions

I have a hard time believing it is anywhere close to 2 million in France when it took 4 years to reach 1 million.

BTW for comparison... all as of March, 2017.

Consoles:
  1. Wii : 6,293 millions
  2. PS3 : 5,235 millions
  3. Xbox 360 : 3,379 millions
  4. PS4 : 3,221 millions
  5. Xbox One : 1,026 millions
  6. Wii U : 832.000
Handhelds:
  1. DS : 10,596 millions
  2. 3DS : 4,765 millions
  3. PSP : 3,582 millions
  4. PS Vita : 535.000
France is still the "good" sales country for XB1... Spain for example it sold almost 375k in over 5 years in the market.

PS. 1 million XB1 sold in 24 hours include US plus the others 12 countries... PS4 1 million in 24 hours that is only NA.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned

I believe you but if you have a link showing that, that would be great. Xbox games, even multiplatform ones don't show up on French, German, and Spanish sales charts anymore.

If we go off of 25 million in the US,
2.5 Million in Canada, and
5 million UK

That still leaves around 8-9 million world wide. My impression is that Brazil, Mexico, and most other regions are in the hundreds of thousands and not millions sold, I could be wrong on that. 41 million seems like the absolute ceiling for this thing. And theres probably a significant amount of users that upgraded to the S or the X, so while its considered a console sold, it doesn't really add to the user base, and that is one of the reason think we're seeing ludicrous splits in terms of software sales, even for western 3rd party.

ethomaz

Banned
I believe you but if you have a link showing that, that would be great. Xbox games, even multiplatform ones don't show up on French, German, and Spanish sales charts anymore.

If we go off of 25 million in the US,
2.5 Million in Canada, and
5 million UK

That still leaves around 8-9 million world wide. My impression is that Brazil, Mexico, and most other regions are in the hundreds of thousands and not millions sold, I could be wrong on that. 41 million seems like the absolute ceiling for this thing. And theres probably a significant amount of users that upgraded to the S or the X, so while its considered a console sold, it doesn't really add to the user base, and that is one of the reason think we're seeing ludicrous splits in terms of software sales, even for western 3rd party.
I corrected him... he is way overestimating France sales for XB1.

BTW despite XB1 being cheaper than PS4 in Brasil (half the price at launch) PS4 is still the market leader and sold more... the opposite of PS360 when 360 sold more here.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
I corrected him... he is way overestimating France sales for XB1.

BTW despite XB1 being cheaper than PS4 in Brasil (half the price at launch) PS4 is still the market leader and sold more... the opposite of PS360 when 360 sold more here.

So if France is closer to 1 million then im still trying to figure out where an additional 9-10 million in sold Xboxes is coming from. That's a huge amount to come from Non- European and developing countries to make up the difference.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So if France is closer to 1 million then im still trying to figure out where an additional 9-10 million in sold Xboxes is coming from. That's a huge amount to come from Non- European and developing countries to make up the difference.
The figure is for March, 2017 so it could be around 1.3m at end of 2018 in France.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
The figure is for March, 2017 so it could be around 1.3m at end of 2018 in France.

if it is 300k or 500k that still leaves 9.5 million or so of unknown sales. I just don't see how its at 41 million. Im thinking 38 or 39 max.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You know Afro Republican Afro Republican , you talk a lot of shit, and you talked down to other people, but it's all skewed on personal opinions and not actual facts.

And whenever something is boosting in sales, like you did with the VR thread and it's not a company of your choice, it's an "anomaly".

It's hard to have serious conversations based on sales data in something that should be objective, when you're always coming in with personal bias. Much like your heavily biased polls prior.
This is a pretty deep comment when you and many others took this information to be legit hardware sales leaks by an unofficial source off the cuff. No question, no second guesses, you couldnt even be bothered to wait and see an official source. Tsk! Tsk!

Not like this bro.. Not like this...

The fact that the ps4 sells more than the xbox in Brazil is incredible, xbox is cheaper, the game pass, services etc.This does not happen in Mexico.

The fact that the ps4 sells more than the xbox in Brazil is incredible, xbox is cheaper, the game pass, services etc.This does not happen in Mexico.

The Xbox sells more in brazil.

if it is 300k or 500k that still leaves 9.5 million or so of unknown sales. I just don't see how its at 41 million. Im thinking 38 or 39 max.

This is because you seem to not really care. You quoted someone saying 1 million and threw out 300k.

As i said before you seem to not be combining all of Europe together and also dealing only in absolutes. You seem to think that Xbox One cumulatively is selling near nothing in Europe. The Xbox One still sells millions across Europe even if the PS4 is beating it, just like with the 360 and PS3. Don't forget that when Microsoft announced 1 million Xbox Ones sold in 24 hours NPD was not included, and only some of the UK was included because they launched based on time zone and western hemisphere was last to launch.

The only reason this number surprises you, and it could even be more, is because you'd made yourself believe the Xbox One sells nothing outside two countries, but that isn't the case. Back when the rumor was 30 million NPD was around 19, so that would mean the other 11 million had to come from somewhere and most of that has to come from Europe, and that was just a rumored number.

It's been around 2 years since then so I'm expecting at max around 17 million in Europe assuming a max of 45 million sold. Or if we assume the number from Zhuge I linked is right, around 14 million in Europe for a 41 million ltd.

Dabaus

Banned
The Xbox sells more in brazil.

This is because you seem to not really care. You quoted someone saying 1 million and threw out 300k.

As i said before you seem to not be combining all of Europe together and also dealing only in absolutes. You seem to think that Xbox One cumulatively is selling near nothing in Europe. The Xbox One still sells millions across Europe even if the PS4 is beating it, just like with the 360 and PS3. Don't forget that when Microsoft announced 1 million Xbox Ones sold in 24 hours NPD was not included, and only some of the UK was included because they launched based on time zone and western hemisphere was last to launch.

The only reason this number surprises you, and it could even be more, is because you'd made yourself believe the Xbox One sells nothing outside two countries, but that isn't the case. Back when the rumor was 30 million NPD was around 19, so that would mean the other 11 million had to come from somewhere and most of that has to come from Europe, and that was just a rumored number.

It's been around 2 years since then so I'm expecting at max around 17 million in Europe assuming a max of 45 million sold. Or if we assume the number from Zhuge I linked is right, around 14 million in Europe for a 41 million ltd.

That's what im asking, where are these countries where millions have been sold? The system is dead in Germany and Spain and is at around 1 million in France. What other developed countries am I missing where it can make up a 9-10 million gap? There is absolutely no way its close to 45 million.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Updated.
2018 figures.

https://olhardigital.com.br/games-e...s-popular-do-brasil-ps4-lidera-atual-geracao/

"Xbox 360 still is the most popular console in Brazil. PS4 lead the actual generation"

Where that myth about XB1 selling more than PS4 in Brasil come from? My work has a console in the hall to play FIFA... they just replaced the 360 for PS4 because FIFA stopped to release last gen versions.

I think it comes from the assumption since Microsoft has a factory there, they're able to make them cheaper to avoid the really high import tax.

I always thought it sounded suspect as an excuse either way.

Top Bottom