• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: President Trump plans to end (DACA) program tomorrow

What would people that have been in the country for 10+ years, since they were children, even do in Mexico?

This is just ruining lives to make racists feel good for a week. 800k is a ton of people, but pretty insignificant to the country as a whole. 0.25%. It's not like Americans will all of a sudden be swimming in jobs.

It wouldn't even be a week. Maybe 48 hours. DACA people probably don't live in South Dakota or Idaho.

They will not notice any change in their lives at all.

Fuck Trump and everything he stands for.

What if these DACA protected people have American Citizen children? Do they get to stay?

This is so fucking terrible I can't even describe.

Farsi

To all of those DACA recipients in the thread, go see an immigration attorney immediately. There are great people out there doing amazing work to help you and other immigrants in this country and understanding your options is increasingly important. Someone made the recommendation to contact the ACLU which is also worthwhile. Do not wait.

This, this, and this.

To all of those DACA recipients in the thread, go see an immigration attorney immediately. There are great people out there doing amazing work to help you and other immigrants in this country and understanding your options is increasingly important. Someone made the recommendation to contact the ACLU which is also worthwhile. Do not wait.

Bumping this for the new page as well.

I know a few people in their late 20s/early 30s that this impacts directly. This is extremely cruel and unfair.

Fuck Trump and everything he stands for.

What if these DACA protected people have American Citizen children? Do they get to stay?

This is so fucking terrible I can't even describe.

They will be deported and their children sent to live with foster parents, or relatives. Trump ended the DAPA program in June, which was the program to keep parents of minor citizens in the country.

One of the depressing results of this is going to be a percentage of these people going back into the shadows. They will uproot their lives and the lives of their families in an effort to not be found. If the government can't find you at the address they have on file......

Trey

Ok I get it guys they can't vote, but you're kidding yourselves if you think this isn't a desperate attempt to pump the brakes on america becoming a minority-majority country, with a tasty side of hardcore racism.

It's a side effect, and a marginal one at that. This is mostly about appeasing his staunch supporters, right now, because he's desperate for the fellation of his ego.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Trump does the opposite of whatever he says.

"I''ll protect Dreamers." Nope.
"I'll be great for LGBT people" *surrounds himself with anti LGBT people*
"I'll drain the swamp." NOPE.

With that logic I sure hope he doesn't last the 4 years then...

Emwitus

If they're being forced to leave in two years, it doesn't give much time to establish a family. Most DREAMers are college-aged, am I correct?

No. That was the challenge for them even with a work permit..nothing is preventing them from having children who will end up voting.,,,,which is what you said. Trump is not deporting more than 800,000 young adults. It's financially impossible.

Can congress override this? Can anything be done?

They can enact a law, yes. DACA was created via executive order which means it can be rescinded in the same way.

It's worth mentioning that if it wasn't for the 10 states threatening to sue over DACA - I'm not sure Trump would have touched it any time soon. Not that I think he actually has "heart" about these people but John Kelly has been one of its biggest proponents inside the White House. I genuinely think that Trump doesn't want to touch the politics of this right now. The impending law suit has forced his hand and Session isn't ever gonna defend it in court. So he's left with killing and I'm sure he sees allowing the folks to stay out the remainder of the two years as treating them with "heart" (which is bullshit in its own right).

The question is - would he actually sign a law granting that amnesty? (you'll forgive me for having doubts)

D23

Wow.. i am speechless.

I am forever grateful that i got married last year and i was able to adjust my status from DACA to green card thru marriage. But i am so so sorry for my DACA family who are going thru this.

Trey

They can enact a law, yes. DACA was created via executive order which means it can be rescinded in the same way.

It's worth mentioning that if it wasn't for the 10 states threatening to sue over DACA - I'm not sure Trump would have touched it any time soon. Not that I think he actually has "heart" about these people but John Kelly has been one of its biggest proponents inside the White House. I genuinely think that Trump doesn't want to touch the politics of this right now. The impending law suit has forced his hand and Session isn't ever gonna defend it in court. So he's left with killing and I'm sure he sees allowing the folks to stay out the remainder of the two years as treating them with "heart" (which is bullshit in its own right).

The question is - would he actually sign a law granting that amnesty? (you'll forgive me for having doubts)

He wouldn't. Any law congress miraculously comes up with would have to be veto proof.

He wouldn't. Any law congress miraculously comes up with would have to be veto proof.

If they were to tie border wall money to it, I believe there have been some overtures in that regard. I've floated the possibility of Democrats throwing him a bone for the remaining 47 miles of fencing that should have been built as part of the Secure Fence Act of 2006.

Let him toy around with that for a year or two as he builds up different mock-ups of his wall and extract a DACA bill out of him alongside continued CSR payments for Obamacare, etc. By the time it's done, he *may* have built enough wall to complete the 700 mile requirement of that original bill and then he can fuck right off out of office.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Is DACA that widely known? Only way I could see this not gaining momentum is if people don't know what the program does. Hell I didn't know until earlier this year when my gf was onboarding a dreamer where she worked.

Practical question for someone only vaguely familiar with DACA. What's the most effective way a faith community with financial resources can help? What do DACA recipients need practically that someone who is an average citizen can provide>?

Farsi

Is DACA that widely known? Only way I could see this not gaining momentum is if people don't know what the program does. Hell I didn't know until earlier this year when my gf was onboarding a dreamer where she worked.

It's really big with Latinos I know that for sure, but for the rest of the public I doubt it.

Practical question for someone only vaguely familiar with DACA. What's the most effective way a faith community with financial resources can help? What do DACA recipients need practically that someone who is an average citizen can provide>?

Vote these racist fuckers out I guess.

JABEE

It would be beneficial if the next executive didn't govern via an executive order. The reality is that DACA was always meant as a temporary band-aid to an bigger issue. The fact that we have an absolutely useless legislative branch in this country makes it nearly impossible to pass the type of legislation that would make DACA an actual law as opposed to an executive action. The next President going in and signing another DACA executive order just opens up the possibility of these same 10 states that are threatening to sue will to go down the same route later as they find the method of its implementation to have been unconstitutional.

Realistically, the way to fix this is for the Congress to get off of its ass and enshrine the DACA program into law. The clock will not start to tick on whether that will actually happen or not.

And the sad thing is that there are so many initiatives being brushed off by congress, empowering the executive branch.

No one wants to stick their neck out on any legislation. The President is operating unchecked in a lot of situations. It's the reason why no one votes on wars anymore. They just let the Commander in Chief decide. No one wants to put their name for or against what they don't have to.

This is a terrible situation.

Trust me, no one in my community wants them around.

We have lawyers and resources in our community, trying to figure out if we can help solve anything for individuals.

Yea I'd say most of the country wants these fuckers gone.

It sucks that such a small minority (lol) of people control the rest of us.

I appreciate your help, thank you for your kind thoughts.

Top Bottom