• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: President Trump plans to end (DACA) program tomorrow

Hint: Lamenting Trump's shenanigans on a message board and/or waiting for Mueller to disclose anything or for your next opportunity to vote in 14 months doesn't count as doing something about it.

"Stop opposing stuff in ways I don't agree with!"

The only person in this thread talking about waiting on Mueller is an illegal immigrant. So you're asking him to go out and risk being deported by protesting. Okay.

Ponn

Banned
Just a shitbag of a human being.

DACA represents the best of us. Fuck this orange cum stain.

To Trump, his supporters and the current GOP there is no such thing as "good ones". Unfortunately some still believe otherwise, even after this.

Fuck, man. This hit like a ton of bricks. I'm at a loss for words. I don't really know what I'm going to do. I've worked so fucking hard and to have all that just brushed aside without any remorse is incredibly soul crushing. It's just so cruel...

shiba5

Can't even have a quiet holiday, this motherfucker thundercunt.

What better way to celebrate Labor Day than to throw some job stealing immigrant children over the border? USA! USA! USA!

/s

He's a psychopath. No empathy, no remorse.

Edit: Discount psychopath. His twitter responses feel way too uncalculated.

He's a malignant narcissist (fuckoff Goldwater Rule). They are very calculating.

Jzero

Wow.. i am speechless.

I am forever grateful that i got married last year and i was able to adjust my status from DACA to green card thru marriage. But i am so so sorry for my DACA family who are going thru this.

could you explain the process you went through a bit? Might as well get married asap.

BlueDevil

I can't fucking believe this....
I have worked so hard all my life to get to where I am, I go to a top ten university and there are others here just like myself. Basically all of the sacrifices my parents and I have made were for nothing...
Maybe I'm better off away from this toxic country anyways...but fuck man this just hurts

conpfreak

This is bull shit. My wife is going to lose her job and get deported? :( Fuck this.

http://immigrationhadley.com/green-card-adjustment-for-daca-applicants/

There exist waivers if you're in one of those situations where she accrued unlawful presence after her 18th birthday and thus can't adjust. The I-131 can also prove an opportunity for a legal entry into the country on her record. Talk to an immigration attorney. If that's too expensive, take the time to read the forums over at VisaJourney, immihelp, etc. Those are excellent resources for stuff like this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Lots of people I know affected by this.
This is so stupid. People are working hard.

I can't fucking believe this....
I have worked so hard all my life to get to where I am, I go to a top ten university and there are others here just like myself. Basically all of the sacrifices my parents and I have made were for nothing...
Maybe I'm better off away from this toxic country anyways...but fuck man this just hurts

I'm really sorry man.

Tahnit

Banned
I have a strong feeling this will be overturned by the courts. Just like the Muslim ban. You can’t just do this to people.

Jzero

A conditional resident can marry a US citizen then file for Adjustment of Status. If approved they will then be a permanent resident.

http://immigrationhadley.com/green-card-adjustment-for-daca-applicants/

There exist waivers if you're in one of those situations where she accrued unlawful presence after her 18th birthday and thus can't adjust. The I-131 can also prove an opportunity for a legal entry into the country on her record. Talk to an immigration attorney. If that's too expensive, take the time to read the forums over at VisaJourney, immihelp, etc. Those are excellent resources for stuff like this.

Does one need to be married for a certain amount of time? I just looked at my card and it expires in 2018. Honestly I was already giving up on life but this just makes it suck even more. Getting married seems like such a hassle.

Is this 100% happening or is it just rumor atm?
In politics these things always start off as "rumors" and end up being true a few days later.

D23

could you explain the process you went through a bit? Might as well get married asap.

Well first you have to get married to a US citizen. Then you can start applying for an adjustment of status immediately. I highly recommend that you get a lawyer that can help you with obtaining all the necessary information. (There's a lot of paperwork) The whole process takes about 6-10 months. Also if you came in to the United States without inspection, then you are most likely would have to leave the country and enter with inspection.

Pm me if you want to know more details, i'll be more than happy to help.

Sunster

Does one need to be married for a certain amount of time? I just looked at my card and it expires in 2018. Honestly I was already giving up on life but this just makes it suck even more. Getting married seems like such a hassle.

no, once legally married you can immediately file. you can remain in US while your status is pending regardless of your current visa's expiration date. You cannot leave the country for any amount of time during AOS.

In politics these things always start off as "rumors" and end up being true a few days later.

Mine expires this November. The fucked up part is that I already sent the DACA renewal application this past July. All paid for. I'm on the verge of tears over this. I just don't know what I'm going to do.

conpfreak

A conditional resident can marry a US citizen then file for Adjustment of Status. If approved they will then be a permanent resident.

That's not the right order. You can't be an conditional resident unless you're here legally. You have to be sponsored by a U.S citizen spouse and then file for adjustment of status to be granted conditional permanent residence. Then, you wait two years and file for removal of conditions on permanent residence. You must remain married during this period, or if divorced, supply mitigating evidence to support the separation. You're at the mercy of USCIS to convince them if the latter is the case. But it happens.

DACA folks have to be careful when attempting to adjust status because as stated in the link I posted earlier, there are some "gotchas" in the process that could leave your spouse in deportation proceedings, like unlawful presence and not having a record of legal entry. Which is why many don't bother attempting with adjusting status while under DACA

Calamari41

41 > 38
A judge can't really stop this.

The Muslim ban was the issuing of an executive order. This is the removal of one. You'd have to stretch pretty hard to rule that executive order A is legal, but letting it sunset or rescinding it is illegal.

Sunster

That's not the right order. You can't be an conditional resident unless you're here legally. You have to be sponsored by a U.S citizen spouse and then file for adjustment of status to be granted conditional permanent residence. Then, you wait two years and file for removal of conditions on permanent residence. You must remain married during this period, or if divorced, supply mitigating evidence to support the separation. You're at the mercy of USCIS to convince them if the latter is the case. But it happens.

DACA folks have to be careful when attempting to adjust status because as stated in the link I posted earlier, there are some "gotchas" in the process that could leave your spouse in deportation proceedings, like unlawful presence and not having a record of legal entry. Which is why many don't bother attempting with adjusting status while under DACA

ah, good post.
A judge can't really stop this.

The Muslim ban was the issuing of an executive order. This is the removal of one. You'd have to stretch pretty hard to rule that executive order A is legal, but letting it sunset or rescinding it is illegal.

ew, good point.

trembli0s

The better question is: was Texas going to make good on their threat to sue the federal government over DACA on September 5th given everything that happened with Harvey? The Texas Attorney General was leading a coalition of other officials from GOP states to push a federal lawsuit to force the end of DACA.

I'm almost certain this is why Trump is doing this now, mere days before the arbitrary September 5 deadline the Texas AG imposed.

As an immigration attorney this is what I think as well. I don't think DACA would stand up to legal scrutiny under the 5th circuit and the current SCOTUS which would be the legal path the case would take if Texas sued.

As gross and immoral an action as it is, Trump is going to use DACA as a bargaining chip for immigration reform and funding for enforcement. "Give me money to put drones on the border and build parts of the wall or I will simply start deporting more Dreamers and you can do nothing about it."

It's Machiavellian and distasteful in the extreme.

conpfreak

No. Once your married you can start the process of adjusting status. But adjusting status under DACA is another beast and there are other requirements you need to fulfill that you may not meet. Mainly this: If you are adjusting status under marriage, periods of unlawful presence is waived, but that's only if you have an legal entry on your record. Which someone under DACA is not likely to have unless they traveled under the I-131 granted at the time DACA was granted.

JeTmAn81

Has there been any attempt to hold the parents and citizenship governments of DACA people accountable for this situation? I understand that DACA people themselves had no choice, but I also don't think it's the American government's responsibility to treat someone who entered the country illegally as if they were a citizen.

Has there been any attempt to hold the parents and citizenship governments of DACA people accountable for this situation? I understand that DACA people themselves had no choice, but I also don't think it's the American government's responsibility to treat someone who entered the country illegally as if they were a citizen.

I don't want the govt to punish my parents for trying to give me a better life.

Like how exactly would you hold them accountable? I don't understand why you are trying to say

Jzero

No. Once your married you can start the process of adjusting status. But adjusting status under DACA is another beast and there are other requirements you need to fulfill that you may not meet. Mainly this: If you are adjusting status under marriage, periods of unlawful presence is waived, but that's only if you have an legal entry on your record. Which someone under DACA is not likely to have unless they traveled under the I-131 granted at the time DACA was granted.
My family came under a Visa and let it expire does that count? or must the legal entry need to have happened during while we were on DACA?

BasicMath

Not a fan of this. DACA is one of those things I hate but I rather have a temporary one time only patch than nothing at all. We need actual reform.

Muslim ban was an executive order too
Like someone said earlier, this EO was borderline unconstitutional. It says "Don't focus on enforcing the law with this group of people. Focus over there instead." Which for all intends and purposes and thanks to the limited resources and scale of the issue means a group of people is above the law. The law shouldn't work that way. The President shouldn't have the power to do that.

Sunster

I don't want the govt to punish my parents for trying to give me a better life.

Like how exactly would you hold them accountable?
I don't understand why you are trying to say

shift the blame on them so Trump looks like the leader of the "party of reason"

Illegal immigrants put in more to the economy than they take out. Deporting these people is a bigger drain on the US than just leaving them be. They pay taxes, but get very little, if anything back from it.

What would people that have been in the country for 10+ years, since they were children, even do in Mexico?

This is just ruining lives to make racists feel good for a week. 800k is a ton of people, but pretty insignificant to the country as a whole. 0.25%. It's not like Americans will all of a sudden be swimming in jobs.
Be left alone across the border with no mpney, no job, and nowhere to go. Not even a bus ticket. Just "fuck you enjoy life in a country you don't know where you might even potentially not speak the frigging language".

Top Bottom