• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Explains Why Destiny Is Not 60fps On The PS4 And Xbox One

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's really sad. Destiny's a beautiful game judging from the Alpha and it would look absolutely stunning at 60fps. Fingers crossed for Destiny 2.

These two tend to conflict, since at 30 fps you have double to triple the rendering resources based on how your fixed frame setup time works.

quetz67

Banned
Do I remember correctly that Destiny is not meant to get sequels but rather be updated with "new content" over the years. Wouldn't that mean it is held back by that cross-gen curse for the whole generation?

Eusis

This explanation about the old consoles holding it back makes no sense. It that were the case the newer consoles should be able to run it at 60fps, like Ground Zeroes.
Huh, right, I do wonder if the game actually does something different from Ground Zeroes. But we haven't seen the last gen verisons, so I guess it's possible those fail to keep 30 fps, I need to see if Ground Zeros does. Plus they do want the game at 1080p on XB1 too while MGSV:GZ gladly threw that out.

gdt

Everyone knows why. You guys have no reason to get angry at his response when you already know the answer.

Cross gen.
More effects.

That's it. Hell there are no other reasons, besides major technical fuck ups which doesn't look like its the case.

Do I remember correctly that Destiny is not meant to get sequels but rather be updated with "new content" over the years. Wouldn't that mean it is held back by that cross-gen curse for the whole generation?

Nope, the plan is to release four Destiny games within 10 years.

Karl Hawk

Banned

Sequels every two years, with expansions within a year of a game's release.

For example, Destiny is gonna release on September, it will have an expansion next year.

Oni Jazar

boothisman.gif

Console parity is garbage and should never be mentioned. Let everyone have a great experience fine but use each system to the most of its abilities. NEVER hold anyone back.

BPoole

Sounds like a load of bullshit to me. The PS4 is more than capable of running that average looking game at 1080p/60fps. The XB1 could probably get 900p/60fps. Leave the 30fps shooters back in the 7th gen where they belong. 60fps should be an absolute standard for shooter on the new consoles.

Krakn3Dfx

Had a great time with the alpha, hopefully the final PS4 version will get a bit more graphical flair if it's locked at 30fps, but it's become a must-buy for me regardless.

We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience, that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles.

So they straight up say that the only reason the PS4 version is not 60fps is because it needs to have parity with all the other versions?

God I hope that is not true. Would be .... irritating ...

You all remember that development on Destiny started in 2010, right?

Bungie has been making 30fps games for years, but suddenly it's a surprise to everyone.

Curufinwe

The gameplay in Alpha was smooth and lovely ... didn't even notice

Yeah, I thought it ran very smoothly.

It's OK for people to demand 60fps and not settle for less; they just have to accept they will need to play most of their games on the PC.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I noticed the fan on my PS4 was much quieter than normal. I'm sure it would have no problem running at 60 fps.

Is the multi-player cross platform as well?

No_Style

Are they handling the PS3/360 versions? Perhaps they tied animiations, physics etc closely to 30FPS and thus didn't want to have to make too many alterations between the two generations.

I sure would feel over joyed if I had bought a next gen console for this game and the promise of all platforms looking the same. Hey maybe this means it'll be on PC after all.

Did you guys really expect an open world, MMOish, cross-gen space shooter to be 60fps? That's liek the definition of pipe dream. It would take so much downgrading to get it at 60.

I think it's just poor wording. I think he was basically saying that it's not 60fps because they wanted it to look as good as possible on all the consoles.

I don't want to say "pre-order cancelled" but why am I paying the next gen tax on this when it's being kept in line with the last gen versions?

These two tend to conflict, since at 30 fps you have double to triple the rendering resources based on how your fixed frame setup time works.

Well I'm dumb and not speaking technically. I don't think it is technically that amazing of a game. But it's got very solid art direction and I think that would look great at 60fps. But I'm only judging it based on the Alpha and have no idea what it's going to look like at release.

It's certainly not a dealbreaker, felt like it was locked 30fps the entire time which is fine and dandy.

Draft

"I could get really technical"

LOL, please, try not to melt my brain with all that technical talk, Mr. Smartypants Engineer!

omonimo

Banned
So when will be only on next generation console, ps4 version will be 30 fps to offer the same experience of the x1 owners, I guess.

Madouu

I really don't think his explanation makes sense or maybe I'm just stupid. I would have taken his proposal to bore me to death with technical details.

60fps remains a lower rung tech issue for me, and I never expected Bungie to be making this 60fps, but it's disappointing to hear the last gen continues to slow movement forward in game development. Certainly wish that "parity" would go away. Certainly seems like an excuse not to push current gens consoles further.

Top Bottom