• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Explains Why Destiny Is Not 60fps On The PS4 And Xbox One

Goddamn crossgen shit. When is this torture over and we can continue bashing devs for just plain incompetence regarding framerates :D

Lakitu

st5fu
Cross-gen needs to die already. It's already gone on far too long, we're in the 2nd year and the majority of the AAA titles are going to be cross gen. Enough with that.

It's cute how many take this to mean that it's trying to stay even with last gen that's forcing their hand. Because those are in 1080p and using the same quality assets as well right?

TuXx

Everything has been cross-gen, cross-gen, cross-gen, cross-gen. Starting regret buying a next-gen console so early.

Raide

hopefully by the time Destiny 2 gets announced, the last-gen versions are dead and buried. At this point they cannot risk the userbase sales from the 360 and PS3, so it makes sense to get Destiny onto as many platforms as possible, especially for a new IP.

What I read the guy was saying:

We didn't to piss any platform holders off. MS would be mad if Destiny PS4 was much better than on Bone. Sony would be mad of Destiny 360 was much better than on PS3. So parity, enjoy it everybody! <3 Bungie

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
With this and the recent Watch_Dogs PC settings discovery... it's time to start boycotting some publishers/developers for this shit.

It's really sad. Destiny's a beautiful game judging from the Alpha and it would look absolutely stunning at 60fps. Fingers crossed for Destiny 2.

You do realize that higher frames per second do not make a game better visually right? It makes a game play and feel better, but for it to look "absolutely stunning" 60 FPS won't help that.

frizby

Because parity with lesser hardware?

Because parity with lesser hardware.

As a PS4 owner, I'm a little salty about this. Look forward to the game though.

This is so stupid. Yakuza Ishin is 60 FPS on PS4 and 30 FPS on PS3. Cross gen shouldn't be an excuse for developer laziness or arbitrary restrictions put in place by some suit at Activision.

m@cross

Maybe this is not an issue of last gen but an issue of keeping current gen looking the same without a performance loss........

Kem0sabe

Graphics dont matter at all if the gameplay doesnt bring something to the table, and judging from the alpha, it doesnt bring much.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Graphics dont matter at all if the gameplay doesnt bring something to the table, and judging from the alpha, it doesnt bring much.
Judging from the actual poll conducted on GAF 80% of the people that played the alpha were swayed positively by the alpha.

KJRS_1993

With this and the recent Watch_Dogs PC settings discovery... it's time to start boycotting some publishers/developers for this shit.

Ermm, nah yer alright. This is how things work I'm afraid. You make a high investment like this game, you need to ensure it's playable by a huge range of people as possible.
Get your panties in a bunch if you want mate, the rest of the world will enjoy the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's too bad. I really enjoyed what I played of the demo. It looks extremely good, but not so good that 60 fps should be out of the question. There were multiple moments where I really felt the frame rate negatively affected the gameplay. I'll probably still grab this on PS4, but I really hope they have a framerate-unlocked PC version in store for the future.

You do realize that higher frames per second do not make a game better visually right? It makes a game play and feel better, but for it to look "absolutely stunning" 60 FPS won't help that.

In motion it absolutely does.

Karl Hawk

Banned

You should read Mike Works's thread about Destiny's Alpha poll. The majority of people had positive impressions with the game.

Honestly, this reads to me less like last-gen holding it back, then them not wanting to do 60 on PS4 and 30 on XB1.

I don't see why they would care about a consistent experience between last gen and current gen, since pretty much every game released on both looks and runs better on the new consoles.

mcrommert

Banned
Cross-gen needs to die already. It's already gone on far too long, we're in the 2nd year and the majority of the AAA titles are going to be cross gen. Enough with that.

Second year? Really? 11 months after new gen this game comes out...thats less than a year...chill

majik13

so lowest common denominator. While 60fps would be really nice, I still enjoyed the alpha, and 30fps will be just fine.

I noticed the fan on my PS4 was much quieter than normal. I'm sure it would have no problem running at 60 fps.

Is the multi-player cross platform as well?

holy shit thats funny

funny thing is it is a bit true. The harder your GPU is pushed, the hotter it gets and the faster your fan needs to work.

I do that with my PC all the time. Crysis will work my GPU hard causing it to be around 64 degrees celcius. A game like Borderlands 2, not at all. I run that game at 48 celcius

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Really shitty philosophy to have in my opinion.

PC has always been the most powerful platform, yet developers don't cram "experience parity" down PC gamers' throats.

If you decide to go motherfucking viral with your game and release it for everything under the sun including toaster ovens then fucking make the best game you can on each individual console. Plain and simple.

All this PR "technical" parity bullshit has to stop. It's such a pissoff.

Or y'know.....screw PS360?

This is a game that will probably span out most of the generation. It's probably going to look pretty dated in 5 years time due to having previous gen holding it back.

WoolyNinja

I wish companies would look at WatchDogs PS4 + XboxOne #'s and realize people are ready to move on. I'd hope the fact that the PS4 version alone counted for almost 50% of sales should be enough to end this cross gen movement.

Huh?

A great looking game running at 60fps looks better to me visually than a great looking game running at 30fps. I understand there are technical limitations and compromises that need to be made and that Destiny running at 60fps would probably not be the same beast as Destiny running at 30fps.

But there is certainly a visual appeal to a smoother framerate. And in a lot of cases I would trade higher quality geometry, lighting effects and resolution for a higher framerate, as that's more appealing to me.

EL CUCO

I was down on 30fps from the moment I started playing it, but after thinking about it being such a pretty, open world game, loaded with details...all is forgiven, Bungie.

Destiny's performance was solid and consistent, on top of being an awesome game.

m@cross

Honestly, this reads to me less like last-gen holding it back, then them not wanting to do 60 on PS4 and 30 on XB1.

I don't see why they would care about a consistent experience between last gen and current gen, since pretty much every game released on both looks and runs better on the new consoles.

I see you had the same thoughts I did.

Or maybe they wanted both systems to have stable and consistent framerates and settled on 30? Not sure why you would expect the PS4 to be able to do 60 when the XB1 is doing 30 (PS4 isn't twice as powerful). I could see a 30 fps vs 45/50 fps scenario, but not 30 fps vs 60 fps (at least not a stable 60 fps).

Deadstar

Thanks bungie for giving me the same experience on my brand new console as a 7 year old machine. I'll be skipping destiny.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Open world games usually don't run at 60? They didn't last gen and they won't during this gen.

Those open world games ran at 60 fps on PC. No reason the new machines couldn't do it, besides superfluous particle effects and wet pavement tech®.

Floex

Common sense.

aL43hSt.gif

Top Bottom