• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabal me excited - Destiny 2 Gameplay today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah, this is real. Abilities & locations. No way a person gets that wrong - very hard info to just 'guess'.

This guy said in the comments that "most of the game" takes place on Earth or the moons of Jupiter.

Earth being a major area in Destiny 2 would be a massive disappointment.

Yeah, this is real. Abilities & locations. No way a person gets that wrong - very hard info to just 'guess'.

With all due respect, but I hope whoever you are talking to is just yanking your chain, because this all sounds super disappointing.

If between last September and now they completely changed where the game takes place, then this game is gonna be a disaster.
Exactly- that's what happened to Destiny 1. I can't believe Bungie went and made all the same mistakes.

If the locations are indeed accurate I expect some pretty large scale blow back.

A heavy Earth focus and a couple moons isn't going to go over well with people. Regardless if they are bigger locations than D1 if this is true I expect a ton of "lack of content" comments and videos circulating

ZeoVGM

Banned
The leaker on Reddit also said that you don't get Sparrows until you beat the game.

Sorry, this sounds like nonsense.

Milennia

The leaker on Reddit also said that you don't get Sparrows until you beat the game.

this is what they do, they spout garbage and say it was old information if they get it wrong

in this case i hope that guy is wrong, if we can get mod verification on what this guy in the thread is saying then it confirms at least something

ZeoVGM

Banned
this is what they do, they spout garbage and say it was old information if they get it wrong

in this case i hope that guy is wrong, if we can get mod verification on what this guy in the thread is saying then it confirms at least something

Yeah, that would be helpful.

Sneakers, are you mod-verified for having insider knowledge? (Not calling you a liar or anything, just curious.)

That would seem next to impossible to be true as Sparrows are a core focus of the game and pretty much necessary to move around the environments. Especially considering D2s are supposed to be even larger

ZeoVGM

Banned
That would seem next to impossible to be true as Sparrows are a core focus of the game and pretty much necessary to move around the environments. Especially considering D2s are supposed to be even larger

Yeah, that specifically makes me call "bullshit." I can't imagine how that would even remotely be a smart design decision.

What we really need is Shinobi to come in here and tell us all that this dude is spouting BS.

I hit him up on Twitter but no response. :(

Bry0

People complained so much about the story structure though. Maybe it's a linear campaign and you don't need a sparrow until you complete the story and the game opens up?

I don't believe that but shinobi did say big structural changes to story, no? Locking the game off with a giant story tutorial seems like an atrocious idea though.

Eh - WoW for a long time locked out flying mounts until you reached max level. This doesn't sound too far fetched from that.

FiraB

Banned
If that reddit guy is legit then I expect full meltdown in 11 hours.

Man this is gonna be glorious to watch and sad at the same time if he's correct, fck earth.

Floody

He also said it looks comparable to Horizon, which I just don't see happening with a open world multiplayer game. Maybe he knows some stuff (what SneakersSO's source as said) and is just making the rest up so people will believe it all.

People complained so much about the story structure though. Maybe it's a linear campaign and you don't need a sparrow until you complete it?

I don't believe that but shinobi did say big structural changes to story, no?

This would kill the game's longevity and any good will the existing community had towards the series despite putting up with its flaws (longer than intended, Destiny 2 was supposed to release last year). Imagine the backlash.

And they complained about the lack of story and how it was all in the grimoires on their website. The structure was fine.

Trace

Banned
Eh - WoW for a long time locked out flying mounts until you reached max level. This doesn't sound too far fetched from that.

They didn't lock out land mounts though, and sparrows are a lot closer to land mounts than they are to flying mounts. The reason flying mounts weren't allowed in new content was because you could skip basically entire zones and just go to the map markers for quests, sparrows don't let you do that.

ZehDon

Gold Member
That sounds awful. So yea, I don't believe it.
The Taken King expansion prevented the use of sparrows entirely within the new play space. It helped the space feel larger, when in fact its not all that large. Using a similar system to make the world feel bigger in Destiny 2, circumventing one of Destiny's big problems, sounds exactly like the thinking of Bungie. Remember - legendary engrams were initially just a second dice roll, to extend the grind to hide the lack of content.

If the location information is correct, Bungie better be prepared to defend themselves. They'll be ripped to shreds. I remember after the Alpha, when people were questioning the lack of content. Bungie defend themselves, saying its their largest game ever, and there was nothing to worry about. Turned out fans were spot on. They won't get the benefit of the doubt this time.

Milennia

They didn't lock out land mounts though, and sparrows are a lot closer to land mounts than they are to flying mounts. The reason flying mounts weren't allowed in new content was because you could skip basically entire zones and just go to the map markers for quests, sparrows don't let you do that.

exactly as i was typing this you got it lol

ZeoVGM

Banned

Flying mounts aren't the same thing at all, as has been pointed out.

Seriously though, are you mod-verified for having insider info? You didn't answer that before. That would help us know if this is legit or not.

The Taken King expansion prevented the use of sparrows entirely within the new play space. It helped the space feel larger, when in fact its not all that large. Using a similar system to make the world feel bigger in Destiny 2, circumventing one of Destiny's big problems, sounds exactly like the thinking of Bungie. Remember - legendary engrams were initially just a second dice roll, to extend the grind to hide the lack of content.

If the location information is correct, Bungie better be prepared to defend themselves. They'll be ripped to shreds. I remember after the Alpha, when people were questioning the lack of content. Bungie defend themselves, saying its their largest game ever, and there was nothing to worry about. Turned out fans were spot on. They won't get the benefit of the doubt this time.

Yeah, but with the Dreadnaught it made sense to have no Sparrows because the ship was all tight spaces and corners. Even if you could summon the Sparrow, it'd be useless.

They're not going to design the open-air planets and moons like that.

You're telling me you could name the locations of an upcoming game that we don't already know about with complete accuracy?

And you know that it's completely accurate how exactly?

Pretty much everything else he said either came true or was backed up by Kotaku. So I have a hard time believing that since September, they completely dropped Saturn, which Shinobi implied was the main section of the game.

I know this sounds so incredibly dumb but I can't say it's outside the realm of possibilities when they basically overhauled the original game a year prior to launch.
https://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

In the weeks after the reboot, the Iron Bar group—along with a team of designers and producers called Blacksmith (because they'd hammer and polish the ”Iron Bar")—came up with a new plan for Destiny. They rescoped the game, cutting out the Dreadnaught and moving it to the expansion, which was then called Comet. They changed the order in which players would progress between each planet. And they cut apart each story mission, splicing together encounters from a variety of old pieces to form the chimera that was Destiny's new campaign.

”[The design team] would have to cobble together and cut and restitch and reuse a bunch of stuff that was already built for a different thread, but now tie it together in some way that fit this amorphous, ‘You pick which way you're going in the director' story," said one person familiar with Destiny's development.

”So if you were going from point A to point Z in the course of [the original, pre-reboot story], they would take out section H-J because it was really tight encounter design and they'd put it off to the side and say, ‘How do we get H-J in this other storyline?'" said a source. ”It was literally like making Franken-story.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
MFlF3pl.png

from http://destinytracker.com/

Let people choose what they want.

For me, raids are well designed, I love the raids in Destiny much better than Blizzard did in WOW.
And PVP activities are well organized. Trials is the reason why Destiny is Top 10 on Twitch.

Bungie give lots of amazing gear set and weapons to both of the 2 type. They are all necessary, they are all loved by different types of players.
The crucible numbers alone are impressive as fuck. It's bigger than BF1 combined on all platforms.
And people say Destiny 2 won't be a big launch lol

chur

I believe it. Sounds just like Bungie to make us grind for QoL improvements. Those evil bastards. *shakes fist at moon*

I'm not saying it's false but this seems to be some very very interesting decision making on Bungies end in a lot of ways.

I'm not gonna hate / be overly negative on it until I see it as maybe some if this makes more sense when you see it's structure but as of now it's certainly worrying.

Flying mounts aren't the same thing at all, as has been pointed out.

Seriously though, are you mod-verified for having insider info? You didn't answer that before. That would help us know if this is legit or not.

A mod has never specifically verified me.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I know this sounds so incredibly dumb but I can't say it's outside the realm of possibilities when they basically overhauled the game a year prior to launch.
https://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

That's about the original Destiny. And there's a big difference between that and completely dropping the main area of the game.

"""IF""" there is a fireteam of Four, then it highly suggests at a new class...

There's no new class. We've seen merchandise leak that are just for the three normal classes and they would be sure to show the new class on the box art along with the other three. They wouldn't leave out the fourth new one.

More info from Reddit guy:

- He's saying that it's similar to D1 in that 90% of the leveling will be done through story stuff and then you'll have to move on to endgame content.

- Says you'll start getting exotic gear earlier as most people didn't do enough endgame content in the first to ever see the exotic gear.

- He's hinting at in-game lore sections and LFG for raids and endgame stuff

ocean

Banned
I mean there's a Cabal attack on the Tower. How the hell do you expect Earth *not* to be a prominent setting?

The previews we've seen discuss stuff about rebuilding Earth, scouring the land and stuff to get it going again. It's why the collectors edition has a bag - IIRC it references the earthly explorers we'll be aiding or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom