• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Infinity War is in such good hands. Wow that movie is gonna be something special.

Hopefully Ragnorok doesn't drop the ball, I have a feeling it's gonna deliver, although I actually like Thor 1&2 so what do I know..........

Quick

Banned
Dem reviews. Bless it.

Matching its blockbuster scale and spectacle with the smarts of a great, grown-up thriller, *Captain America: Civil War* is Marvel Studios’ finest film yet. There. We said it again.

UFs2zDD.gif

The Marvel Cinematic Universe on the whole is filled with great films and blockbuster gems, but between The First Avenger, The Winter Solider and now Civil War, it’s been firmly proven that they have a better grip on Captain America than any of their heroes, and it can be said with confidence that the three movies come together to create the greatest superhero trilogy of all time. The new film is equally thrilling, fun, engaging, emotional, smart, and thought-provoking, and really everything you want from summer entertainment.

tumblr_nk8oqfp0sd1tljqxro1_1280.gif

SpaceWolf

Banned
Wonder how that is. Did they just strike gold by hiring the Russos? Like, would Dark World have been fucking awesome if it was directed by them? Or is there something about Captain America as a character?

Personally speaking, I think of all the Marvel characters they had to work with...Thor by far had the most potential. I mean, a celestial warrior-prince banished to earth that leads to him learning some humility? Thor as a character, and by extension, the larger world of Asgard the character inhabits is by their very nature incredibly interesting and cinematic. Marvel just seemed to drop the ball with the character by largely hiring the wrong people to direct and write his movies. They keep squandering Thor's potential.

So as a result, we have Thor languishing in probably two of the most forgettable comic book movies of the last ten years whilst in comparison, Cap seems to have gotten this great team behind him who really understand the fundamentals of the character, and just as importantly, how to tell a really great story in general. It's fascinating, really.

Considering they're essentially also directing Iron Man, Black Panther, Spiderman, and Ant-Man, and they seem to be nailing all the character beats and relationships, it's not just Cap. Too bad we won[t see Russo Thor and Hulk till Infinity War

How are they essentiallly directing over Coogler? Other dudes I think didn't really put their stamp on their movies but I think Coogler definitely will.

Kacho

Marvel lucked out with the Russos big time. They're going to make Marvel so much money over the next few years. I can't wait to see their version of the Avengers.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Infinity War is in such good hands. Wow that movie is gonna be something special.
People ask why Cinematic Universes are a good thing -- it's because when we get to that movie, Marvel won't have to explain anything. Characters won't have to be introduced, they can just hit the ground running. Everything has already been set up. Now we just get to watch the Russo's work their magic.

Dai101

Banned
This would not even be a surprise anymore. I love that character now and thought he was going to be the dumbest thing when Marvel announced those movies. When I read the complaints about Superman in MoS and BvS and the descriptions of what a person he should be, it always reminds me of Cap in the MCU. Chris Evans does an absolutely amazing job.

tumblr_inline_nvi5cnjKr81rnbfx8_500.gif

Permanently A

The way they keep saying this is a trilogy makes me think Cap dies and Bucky takes up the mantle. Which is a damn shame if it does happen because Chris Evans is a treasure.

Kacho

This one is kinda this right?

Civil War will give us a glimpse of it for sure but it's missing Thor and Hulk (imagine how brutal they'll be in a Russo bros film) and this movie is about internal conflict rather than everyone working together.

watership

This would not even be a surprise anymore. I love that character now and thought he was going to be the dumbest thing when Marvel announced those movies. When I read the complaints about Superman in MoS and BvS and the descriptions of what a person he should be, it always reminds me of Cap in the MCU. Chris Evans does an absolutely amazing job.

Most of the non comic reading world

"Goofy looking, WWII white guy, wearing the flag, boring moralist with no flaws. Okay then."

Marvel

"What if we hired a good actor, and stayed true to what makes him unique to the Marvel universe. The character that other Marvel character love, and look up to"

5 years later...

World

"... Go #teamcap! The soul of the MCU."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom