• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capybaragames president thinks FC3:Blood dragon Trailer is a ripoff.

he has written a bit more..

8c3my3t.jpg

He apologized for getting upset, but not for the accusation in the first place?

How childish.

inky

to Nathan: I can understand being upset at a similar concept out there so close to yours, and how you feel it might steal your thunder but you are one crazy dude. Your Saturday morning 80s cartoon nostalgia execution is everything but unique, sorry to break it to you, and even then I don't see how the Far Cry trailer is supposed to be a ripoff of yours in the first place.

Derrick01

Banned
Damn I totally missed out on the 80s themes and IP garage sale. Would have totally bought Thundercats and the exclusive right to grow long hair.

monome

Erm, that's a pretty broad approach.

you kidding? it's a ripoff alright.

Blood Dragon was just too awesome but being a Ubisoft game there had to be something fishy...too bad it came from the advertising, I can't tell if I'll buy the game yet...but Ubi...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Normally I'd be on Capy's side because I love Capy, but I wasn't aware that they invented this faux-retro thing that has been popular with hipsters for the last 5+ years. I also don't see how the trailers are really all that similar aside from a channel-changing thing which has been in various media since cable TV was invented. Capy seemed to be going for a Ren & Stimpy deal and FC team was going for an 80s action cartoon. Being related to animation would be a ridiculous claim for copying since videogames have done that since the start of videogames. Capy just has no ground here and I'd never think to compare them if this were not the context by which I saw them.

This is only going to get worse(better?) as more and more people who grew up in the 80s get the power to make design decisions on high profile games.

Mr. F

Banned
Even in terms of the channel surfing and fake ads at the beginning, I've seen that intro used a ton of times before. Super Time Force hardly owns that trope.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What's funny is that the concept he's saying they ripped off is actually fundamentally different.

Capy's video is clearly channel changing. Blood Dragon's is video degradation due to successive reuse of a videotape.

They're not similar at all, not even in vague style. Both just show a couple random things before they get to the main thrust of the video.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm feeling really gross about petty divisions in the American scene right now. Between raging, substance-less anti-BioShock rants from industry folk on Twitter whose favorite games include Gears of War and Skyrim, the whole Adam Orth situation that didn't reflect well on anyone, the discontent some people on this forum will feel until they're actually able to bathe in the blood of Arthur Gies, EA trying its hardest to shit in the mouth of anyone that'll comply... it's icky. I don't know if it's the uncertainty of the generational shift, or what. Things feel really bad right now.

Yep, just Americans.

Sorry. North American. ; )

But yeah, I agree.

Er, I mean, yep, just North Americans.

Please.

Im_Special

Jesus, they aren't even remotely the same thing, if this is what Nathan thinks is coping then I guess he copied Retro City Rampage then.

GAF's having bouts of hysteria over every two bit tweet now it seems.

Personally, I've solved this thread's problem rather neatly: I'll buy both if they're good.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's lose/lose for me and my team. I totally understand that component is tough for people to get, but its the reality. They are bigger than us and will win whether I say something or I say nothing. But if I say nothing, my whole studio will look at me and wonder why I didn't say anything.

I am getting pummeled here and on twitter for speaking my mind, which is totally what I expected. I am ok with it. I thought it wasn't cool and said something.

I apologized directly to people for how poor my tone was. I did not apologize for my opinion on the matter since, well, its my opinion.
You should know we catch everything. ;)

Personally, I don't think there would have been loss or competition or comparison if you hadn't brought it up yourself. A 5 second channel surfing intro to a trailer doesn't define either game.

Hanmik

This has been entertaining to say the least.

HI GAF PALS.

are you Nathan..? or some other person at Capy..? I have seen you before, remember you advised me to buy a great game on PSN long time ago, you made me make a US PSN account and buy the game from that store.. loved the game, just can´t remember the name of it.. Critter Crunch or something like that..?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
FUN TIMES IN NEOGAF CITY.

I saw what you typed before you edited there.

Can you expand on what you feel they copied? I think the reason you're getting beat up is because you haven't laid out where Blood Dragon crossed the line.

Takiyah

you kidding? it's a ripoff alright.

Blood Dragon was just too awesome but being a Ubisoft game there had to be something fishy...too bad it came from the advertising, I can't tell if I'll buy the game yet...but Ubi...

They seem really similar to me. If one trailer had been made a few years, then ok, but, that STF trailer got major traction and you know Ubi saw it.

We know we catch everything. ;)

Personally, I don't think there would have been loss or competition or comparison if you hadn't brought it up yourself. A 5 second channel surfing intro doesn't define either game.

Shrug. You can leave it up if you want. I can't defend myself here or on twitter.

The Hermit

While I sort of agree with the notion that the trailers are quite similar, it's kind of a mute point considering the art/style in their trailer is pretty similar to Pendleton Ward's trademark art/style (Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors).

I totally got a Bravest Warriors vibe.

Anyway, I never heard of the indie game before, and Blood Dragon is on my radar since april 1st so I don't really care

Mdk7

I'll buy them both, but this time i'm NOT with Capy.
I mean, seriously... they didn't really trademark the 80s, nor this kind of over the top approach.
The one and only real similarity is in the beginning of the video, but that's really it (plus it's a little different thing philosophically as some other fellow gaffer pointed out).

inky

It's lose/lose for me and my team. I totally understand that component is tough for people to get, but its the reality.

Seriously man, you are going with this?

Come on, you guys make great games and people know and recognize that. And while I understand the part about speaking your mind, just consider the possibility you might be wrong in this one? Please? I kind of think you've brought undeserved negative attention to your team, instead of the opposite, which sucks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Seriously man, you are going with this?

Come on, you guys make great games and people know and recognize that. And while I understand the part about speaking your mind, just consider the possibility you might be wrong in this one? Please? I kind of think you've brought undeserved negative attention to your team, instead of the opposite, which sucks.

In the end it's no big deal. You shouldn't lose sleep just like they won't lose any so I suggest you not get too emotional about it :)

Shut the fuck up and quit embarrassing yourself and your studio already

Quite the adult we have here. This is why devs pick and choose where to go and talk. Stuff like this only deters them from coming here and people posting like yourself give the rest of us on GAF a bad name.

That's why people who act like that don't last nor they do they deserve to be here on this forum.

Alucrid

Banned
Well, as someone that's not part of the European or Asian scenes, I wouldn't know about any insane, nonsensical infighting going on in them there parts.

You're blowing this up to seem more than people making a fuss on twitter. It's not 'infighting' in any way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Erm, that's a pretty broad approach.

Similarities:
Starts with 80s channel surfing of random stuff
Then switches to animated program which is the subject of the game
Action, blood, dinosaurs, cheese

Differences:
FC3BD keeps it up for the whole ad, STF switches to a cartoon of someone playing STF
FC3BD is one consistent thing, STF switches to a separate GI Joe PSA style vignette
STF has dubstep and otherwise leaves the 80s theme, FC3BD stays there

Megasoum

Banned
Shrug. You can leave it up if you want. I can't defend myself here or on twitter.

Dude, I know that STF is your baby, you've been working on it for a long time but try to take a step back, relax and try to look at it from a neutral position. The only similarities between the two trailers is that they are promoting games about the 80s. Like somebody else said here, even the intro is conceptualy different since yours is channel surfing and Ubisoft is an old vhs tape being overwritten too many times.

Take a deep breath and try to see things objectively.

Top Bottom