• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capybaragames president thinks FC3:Blood dragon Trailer is a ripoff.

Zia

You're blowing this up to seem more than people making a fuss on twitter. It's not 'infighting' in any way.

It's part of a bigger picture, which I also witnessed at this year's IGF and GDC. You have no idea what you're talking about.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Similarities:
Starts with 80s channel surfing of random stuff
Then switches to animated program which is the subject of the game
Action, blood, dinosaurs, cheese

Differences:
FC3BD keeps it up for the whole ad, STF switches to a cartoon of someone playing STF
FC3BD is one consistent thing, STF switches to a separate GI Joe PSA style vignette
STF has dubstep and otherwise leaves the 80s theme, FC3BD stays there

Blood Dragon doesn't even start with channel surfing. It's a video tape that's been used multiple times and is bleeding through the recorded content.

I'm starting to think Twitter needs like a 15 minute delay on posting what people type, so they have time to remember that the thing they just put out there as soon as they thought of it is attached to a megaphone and not a journal.

Razlo

Shrug. You can leave it up if you want. I can't defend myself here or on twitter.

I think everyone has done this at some point or another if they make art. I've felt like someone copied me in the past and it's impossible to know if it's true or not. Of course other times, you're just so close to your project that your judgement on the matter is a little skewed.

I personally think in this case you both were drawing from similar sources and it ended in a similar result (though you were doing 90's and FC is doing 80's).

In any case, I love your games and look forward to playing both Super Time Force and Blood Dragon

Grimsen

Similarities:
Starts with 80s channel surfing of random stuff
Then switches to animated program which is the subject of the game
Action, blood, dinosaurs, cheese

Differences:
FC3BD keeps it up for the whole ad, STF switches to a cartoon of someone playing STF
FC3BD is one consistent thing, STF switches to a separate GI Joe PSA style vignette
STF has dubstep and otherwise leaves the 80s theme, FC3BD stays there

Don't forget what morningbus pointed out.

What's funny is that the concept he's saying they ripped off is actually fundamentally different.

Capy's video is clearly channel changing. Blood Dragon's is video degradation due to successive reuse of a videotape.

They're not similar at all, not even in vague style. Both just show a couple random things before they get to the main thrust of the video.

EDIT: run over by the 'bus.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The thing I don't get is the competition mindset. Are people "Taking Far Cry's side" if they merely say that they don't think there is a comparison? I personally don't care about Far Cry. The only experience I had with it was the second game which is a steaming pile shit. However, I will say that there isn't much to compare here. I don't say that as a means of excusing Far Cry team for any purported copying they may have done, but simply to say Capy shouldn't be worried about people thinking poorly of them as few people probably would have. My advice is next time don't wig out until people actually start accusing you of copying some bigger developer. Starting fights over worries results in... well, this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Blood Dragon doesn't even start with channel surfing. It's a video tape that's been used multiple times and is bleeding through the recorded content.

Well, true, there is a distinction between tracking-warping VHS effects and channel surfing, but I think the premise is similar enough to count it as a similarity especially when you consider the sort of content showed in each.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm not defending or siding but maybe the FC3 BD team was liking the look of the STF trailer and thought to mimic it but not like word for word or directly copy every scene.

Each has their own distinct nostalgia and are both awesome (from that nostalgic point of view).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Shrug. You can leave it up if you want. I can't defend myself here or on twitter.
You don't need to. Ignoring the fact that the two trailers aren't much alike, it's human nature to ignore the fact that things can be developed independently (look at Newton/Leibniz). You're obviously more susceptible as a creator.

Kifimbo

Like most people here, I like Capy, but I don't understand this "besieged" mentality. Like it's Capy vs. Ubisoft, and now NeoGAF vs. Capy ? What's going on ? Does Super Time Force has the same release date as FC3: Blood Dragon or something ? Feels like there is more to that story. And you can't tell us about it. Capy worked with Ubisoft, maybe there was already bad blood between the two ?

inky

In the end it's no big deal. You shouldn't lose sleep just like they won't lose any so I suggest you not get too emotional about it :)

? did you quote the right person? :p

Now commenting on the situation is getting emotional about it? Yea, my day is ruined by this "news" or something. Woe is me.

While I sort of agree with the notion that the trailers are quite similar, it's kind of a mute point considering the art/style in their trailer is pretty similar to Pendleton Ward's trademark art/style (Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors).
FYI, it's "moot point".

BibiMaghoo

It must be frustrating for them, but as I understand it this does happen.

Multiple people having the same idea for a game?
Shocking.

It sucks for the second to release/reveal. But I suppose it's fair game.

Takiyah

Well, true, there is a distinction between tracking-warping VHS effects and channel surfing, but I think the premise is similar enough to count it as a similarity especially when you consider the sort of content showed in each.

Exactly. It's like I'm the only one here on crazy pills

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
? did you quote the right person? :p

Now commenting on the situation is getting emotional about it? Yea, my day is ruined by this "news" or something. Woe is me.

Maybe or maybe not but I don't think I was attacking you as much as stating what I've said a couple of times already here, it's not a big deal other than just making the exchance a talking point.

In the end, both games tickle my nostalgia and looks entertaining enough to be bought (FC3 BD) or on my radar (STF).

Implying this without evidence doesn't really help anyone.

I'm being hypothetical really. If I was making a game I would be inspired by that nostalgia and want to do something similar. I'm not in their meetings or seeing what they are talking about but that isn't out of the realm of something mythical that is impossible.

It's the same reason some see a video and want to parody it. Plenty of that happening on Youtube (Harlem Shake comes to mind).

I'm not implying anything else other than just saying that I wouldn't blame them for being inspired.

Both videos are distinct and great to me in the end. I'm not emotionally invested enough to care any more :)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

STF: Guy gets thrown into crowd, muscly man working out, woman looking at a filleted fish.

Blood Dragon: advert for gross looking restaurant, 80's workout video.

I don't know. Even the workout video aspect is pretty different tone-wise.

Hanmik

Isn´t the Super Time Force Trailer like 7 months old..? unless Capy is planning a second trailer VERY shortly, I can´t see how people will think Capy ripped off FC3:Blood Dragon.. ?

Beckx

My general feeling on allegations of copying is that they should be reserved for all but the most blatant of copying - shot for shot (or nearly) copies, that sort of thing.

Much love for Capy, but copying allegations are serious and in this instance I just don't think they are well-founded.

Grimsen

STF: Guy gets thrown into crowd, muscly man working out, woman looking at a filleted fish.

Blood Dragon: advert for gross looking restaurant, 80's workout video.

I don't know. Even the workout video aspect is pretty different from a tone-wise.

The FCBD restaurant thing is also in inside joke, since the restaurant actually exists and is in Montreal, where FCBD was developed.

Thinking about it, I wonder if Nathan's pissed off that his idea was seemingly aped by Montrealers.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

If you aren't going to defend yourself then you should really reconsider posting things like this on twitter in the future. When you post something on twitter, you are literally starting a conversation with everyone in the entire world. If you post something the least bit controversial or combative, people are going to respond in droves and arguments become inevitable on a format least conducive to civil discourse. Since everyone has a right to respond to a conversation you started, by not addressing people you're doing the conversational equivalent of throwing a water balloon and running away. It makes you look really bad, and since I like you guys a lot, you should really stop doing that!

I admit that I've never heard something about Super TIME Force, but it looks totally awesome!
I just don't see any similiarity with Blood Dragon, however.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I watched both trailers with approximately 8 hours in between them.
Don't feel similar enough, based on that.

Now if we were talking about every modern military shooter trailer on the other hand...

I can understand the frustration that a far bigger company used a similar idea for a product with a brand. That's happened to every "little guy" with creative works and a desire to put it in front of as many people as possible.

But throwing accusations around that they purposely stole the idea from you and that you can't do anything because they're big and you're not? You've basically set the tone from the outset that you're the victim and everyone is after you. It is ridiculously unprofessional for one and, even removed from that context, invites people to feel like they don't want to be on your side because you're taking your anger to levels they don't feel is appropriate.

It sucks. Maybe they did it purposely, maybe they didn't, but it's never wise to jump to the conclusion that it was stolen from you just because you're upset by it. The benefit of the doubt is key here.

Takiyah

When you post something on twitter, you are literally starting a conversation with everyone in the entire world.

Really? This is Twitter, it's a glorified Facebook wall. It is public to the world true, but I hardly think stating something on Twitter means you're starting a conversation with the entire world. Plus, most of the world doesn't even have access to Twitter...so COME ON :p

Well now I have seen both trailers because of this scandal.

The super time force one looks awesome. The farcry one looks like poop. So ya good job ubisoft!

Really? This is Twitter, it's a glorified Facebook wall. It is public to the world true, but I hardly think stating something on Twitter means you're starting a conversation with the entire world. Plus, most of the world doesn't even have access to Twitter...so COME ON :p

Can't tell if you're kidding, but if not:

It might be ok for *you* to have this attitude, but if you're someone who's involved in a huge, costly business/creative venture that many people have spent years of their lives on, it's dangerously naive and completely irresponsible.

(not saying this is the Capy guy's attitude, either, just saying)

Top Bottom