• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyuben

Banned
So Cboat gets a thumbs-down because he didn't know the Xbone release date? He was literally spot on with so many things with the 360 and a vast majority of things relating to the Xbone. He's gotten some things wrong, sure, but from all the disjointed and reactionary moves from Microsoft since E3, can you blame him?

Go up and look at Wario64's post of him leaking shit about the 360's Xenon processor and reveal of some SKUs without a HD.

How are you in so deep you can know this obscure crap about the 360 but not the release date for the bone?

Im thinking this guy is just a bozo in some big chain store that stocks microsoft stuff and overhears stuff and steals memos from microsoft meant for people who work there.

How many console launches in history have a truly stellar launch catalog?

That's sort of the point? Both console launches are serviceable. I'm on the Xbox One side of the fence purely because of Killer Instinct, but if not for that game I might actually just ride out my PS3 for Ghosts, AC4, etc.

I refute that there's one console with the objectively more attractive and diverse line-up. Yes, Microsoft made a bad mistake with it's now-reversed DRM policies. But honestly, after that, it's a bit hard to argue that one console is superior to the other when all we've got to look at are a bunch of cross-gen ports and a handful of forgettable launch exclusives.

Which is why specs and price remain the focus.

If you call your University quick enough you might be owed a refund on your education.

Oh please. Maybe if I had a Masters in engineering I'd feel a little more threatened by your comment. But it stands to reason that as a fairly technically minded person who is actually in the field of software development -- rather than say night fill at Wal-Mart -- I don't pretend to understand these details at anything more than a ridiculously vague high level. I'm willing to bet 80% of this forum is in a similar position.

B.O.O.M

How are you in so deep you can know this obscure crap about the 360 but not the release date for the bone?

Im thinking this guy is just a bozo in some big chain store that stocks microsoft stuff and overhears stuff and steals memos from microsoft meant for people who work there.

Well that worked out great for u

He would be banned.

Also: See post above yours.

Ce-Lin

I predict that sunset overdrive will be 30fps.

Oh wait, people won't take me seriously here.

I preiudicto thaaa susnenet oqerdruive wil b 30 FP S

1239023209_car-show-chick.gif

Well, I dont trust him because he didn't reveal the release date for the xbone.

Did it occur to you that he didn't know the release date?

He revealed that it was not possible for the release date to be before PS4 ( due to the timing of the temp hires for launch ), but maybe he didn't have enough info to know the exact date.

Show some respect, you're feeling yourself WAAAAAAAY too much more than you should, its one thing to be a bitter , salty console warrior but calling someone out of their name won't make your stay here a long one.

Edit:

I tried to warn you, CBOAT never wanted your blood to soil the bidet :(

baphomet

Not a fucking chance.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Oh please. Maybe if I had a Masters in engineering I'd feel a little more threatened by your comment. But it stands to reason that as a fairly technically minded person who is actually in the field of software development -- rather than say night fill at Wal-Mart -- I don't pretend to understand these details at anything more than a ridiculously vague high level. I'm willing to bet 80% of this forum is in a similar position.

Which is why we rely on the actual technical minds here--who unanimously say the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbone. How a dude with a Comp Sci degree can't understand the differences in fill rates or ROPs or CPU cycles boggles my mind.

I feel like we need a Bingo that goes into effect when a CBOAT thread starts, with the slots being entirely composed of things people will be banned for before the thread is locked. I haven't even been lurking here that long and I'm losing count of the casualties.

Edit: In the interest of preventing more of my fellow juniors from being cut down in their prime on Bish's next sweep, here's a handy-dandy guide to posting in a CBOAT thread:

1. Do not pretend to be someone important unless you actually are.
2. Do not declare that everyone who listens to CBOAT is a part of some kind of collective that hates Microsoft/X-Box/America.
3. Do not declare that CBOAT is a fraud. You can call him out on specific points where he's misfired, but for god's sake have your facts straights.
4. Do not make ad-hominem attacks directed at CBOAT. (Or any other user. Why are you doing this to begin with?)
5. Do not try to convince people that CBOAT is a crackpot or otherwise not worth listening to in a thinly veiled attempt at astroturfing, using only his posting style as a basis.
6. Do not try to reveal CBOAT's secret identity. CBOAT is the insider that GAF deserves, even if he isn't the insider GAF needs right now.
7. Do not ask stupid questions about CBOAT that could easily be answered by checking his posting history. You probably won't get banned, but honestly, not knowing who he is and what he does is a pretty serious faux paus.

There, you're all set and ready to post in a legendary thread. Fire away!

Which is why we rely on the actual technical minds here--who unanimously say the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbone. How a dude with a Comp Sci degree can't understand the differences in fill rates or ROPs or CPU cycles boggles my mind.

I posit that he can but doesn't.

Then you've obviously never studied the subject. It's more of a mathematical degree, with a lot of focus -- at least at my university -- on things like hashing algorithms and A* search. At a very, very high level I understand the basics of an ALU, but saying I was anything than an amateur would be disingenuous at best and making me a total liar at worst.

And no one has argued that the PS4 isn't more powerful; the point is most of this forum wouldn't be able to tell without a Digital Foundry article to use as a crutch.

Assuming the library stayed the same. The Jaguar was woefully under-specced, but that had nothing to do with the derivative and unimaginative nature of the games on the system.

Wait a minute. You're comparing Atari's first party lineup to PS4, and MSs first party lineup to Nintendo?

FINALBOSS

Banned
Then you've obviously never studied the subject. It's more of a mathematical degree, with a lot of focus -- at least at my university -- on things like hashing algorithms and A* search. At a very, very high level I understand the basics of an ALU, but saying I was anything than an amateur would be disingenuous at best and making me a total liar at worst.

And no one has argued that the PS4 isn't more powerful; the point is most of this forum wouldn't be able to tell without a Digital Foundry article to use as a crutch.

So your point is some of us rely on those with the expertise to fill us in? Wow, what a revolutionary point you're making. And here I was attempting to diagnose my low blood pressure instead of consulting with a physician.

Just because some of us can't understand the finer points of a technical discussion, doesn't make it any less of a topic to discuss and compare.

viveks86

Whoa! I've seen two people mocking cboat that got banned right away!
Lyuben
Banned
(Today, 12:09 AM)

RIP Lyuben.

The thread moved so fast I didn't catch the other one. Whoever you are, RIP!

EDIT: And there goes another one! This thread is fast becoming the next "EDGE: Power struggle" thread!

Donutta
Banned
(Today, 12:10 AM)

kitch9

Banned

Its way beyond needing DF my friend. Way beyond.

Jabba

Banned
They're either trying to smoke him out or make CBOATs posts seem like they shouldn't be considered. Probably both.

Im reading the thread then BOOM ban ban ban. lol

Bish is on the prowl...one dare not slander CBOAT's gospel lest you offer your blood unto his bidet.

You. I like you. Bonus points for Nash.

This is entirely possible. But the odds are quite against it. Astronomically so, in fact.

Imagine Sony in the place of Nash blindsiding MS from behind who is holding that trophy high above their heads, with the PS4 reveal.

Now where is Amir0x with his "The Microsoft brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!" speech?

ymmv

Banned
  • Development started later (compared to PS4)
  • Reveal event pushed back
  • Driver/OS not up to par
  • THIS looks just like a bunch of HTPC components thrown together
  • Launch list of countries reduced
  • 3rd party title footage severely limited
  • Unclear policies, messaging
It's all starting to add up.

I hadn't seen that motherboard pic in a couple of months. It's pretty sad really, because that does look like the Xbox One is just a box with off the rack computer parts. There was no attempt made to make it smaller, to make it sleek, nope. The MS research department probably had no time to go beyond the basic function of making a working Xbox One - and that is even now compromised by CPU upclocks that could become RROD2.

It's exactly the same situation Sony found themselves in in 2005. The OS wasn't finished, the network functionality wasn't ready, even the Blu-Ray firmware got multiple updates, the Blu-Ray and Cell tech was at that point too costly too put into a consumer device. Sony was ready for a 2007 launch, not one in November 2006, but they had no choice if they wanted to compete with MS, so they went ahead and lost a ton of money. But at least the PS3 was powerful, even if developers had to hire rocket scientists to write code for its convoluted architecture, and software can be rewritten and optimized. MS can never fix and optimize the hardware in the Xbox One. The decision to focus on Kinect 2 and go ahead with a weak hardware design will haunt them the entire upcoming generation.

Averon

Jesus.

I can't wait for the November NPDs and the first DF showdowns between the PS4 and XBO. Those threads will be a waste land of greyed out names.

forza 5 at 1080p being an exception to the rule would be seriously disappointing.

maybe cboat has only seen the games for the foreseeable future, but games from 4-5 years from now would be 1080p outright through optimizations.

then again, 1080p shouldn't be an issue this early. the first wave of ps3 games were native 720p right away, no matter how hard the ps3 was to code for.

upscaled 1600x900 games for xbox next-gen would be seriously disappointing. EmptySpace feels bad for the xbottles.

Bishop89

I hadn't seen that motherboard pic in a couple of months. It's pretty sad really, because that does look like the Xbox One is just a box with off the rack computer parts. There was no attempt made to make it smaller, to make it sleek, nope. The MS research department probably had no time to go beyond the basic function of making a working Xbox One - and that is even now compromised by CPU upclocks that could become RROD2.

It's exactly the same situation Sony found themselves in in 2005. The OS wasn't finished, the network functionality wasn't ready, even the Blu-Ray firmware got multiple updates, the Blu-Ray and Cell tech was at that point too costly too put into a consumer device. Sony was ready for a 2007 launch, not one in November 2006, but they had no choice if they wanted to compete with MS, so they went ahead and lost a ton of money. But at least the PS3 was powerful, even if developers had to hire rocket scientists to write code for its convoluted architecture, and software can be rewritten and optimized. MS can never fix and optimize the hardware in the Xbox One. The decision to focus on Kinect 2 and go ahead with a weak hardware design will haunt them the entire upcoming generation.
Could we be seeing MS trying to bring the NEXT generation sooner than expected, or will they just ride it out?

Never took an english lit class I imagine? If its coming from me don't assume its biblical, you sound as salty as his detractors with that sideways remark, get over yourself.

I wouldn't say you make religious references to his posts all the time, maybe about 90%. My apologies, didn't mean for you to get that offended.

Could we be seeing MS trying to bring the NEXT generation sooner than expected, or will they just ride it out?

Well, the architecture proves that the XB1 isn't just a box of standard PC parts. And form factor is something that can be addressed without having to launch a new generation product.

As for power, it won't be an issue as XB1 will be the lowest common denominator for development and still has far more grunt than a Wii U. Like every generation, it'll come down to USPs, exclusives and marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom