• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jburton

Banned
Thanks guys! But won't developers just make a shittier PS4 version of multiplatform games to have parity? I feel like SCE's worldwide studios will be the only ones to take advantage of the hardware.

Why would they?

Didn't happen this current generation, people seem to be fond of painting scenarios that have never existed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks guys! But won't developers just make a shittier PS4 version of multiplatform games to have parity? I feel like SCE's worldwide studios will be the only ones to take advantage of the hardware.

PC likely being the lead development platforms might help here. Develop on PC, cut a few bits for PS4 ports cut even more for Xbox port. That'd be efficient from a dev point of view I think.

The improvement isn't big enough to warrant a console upgrade. It was bad enough that there were many games this gen that were running in sub 720p resolutions. In the upcoming console generation each and every single game should run in 1080p. No exceptions.

Another thing: it's spelled layman's terms.

PEW PEW! Dropping knowledge and grammar on my ass. +2

:D

I don't believe they'll force parity. Especially if PS4 becomes dominant. That whole idea always sounded kind of FUD-ish to me (even though there were some legitimate reasons to worry).

900p can of course look good (see Ryse). But after 8 years people expect more from a next-gen machine and it seems that these expectations can only be fulfilled by the PS4 so far which is also way cheaper. If you are fine with 720p/900p, like the exclusives and feel that Kinect is worth the extra 100 bucks, go for the X1. If you want better multiplats, also like the exclusives, don't need Kinect and want most bang for your bucks, go for the PS4.

Have we any footage that's proven to be upscaled 900p? last I heard was the footage they released was 1080p native.

Riky

$MSFT
I remember the likes of Burnout Paradise where they lead on the inferior platform, that seemed to work out better. Maybe they should lead on X1 and then add what they can for PS4 and PC, everyone wins.

I really don't understand this thread.
Everyone already knew that the only native 1080p 1st party game was Forza 5 so he can't be referring to launch titles.
Is he saying that the majority of 1st party titles in the future will be 720p-900p with only a few being 1080p?

I really don't understand this thread.
Everyone already knew that the only native 1080p 1st party game was Forza 5 so he can't be referring to launch titles.
Is he saying that the majority of 1st party titles in the future will be 720p-900p with only a few being 1080p?
Then you do understand this thread..

Honestly, news like this is very depressing. Just once, i'd like to read something uplifting regarding this company...

Every single MS news as of late simply has way too strong of a negative perspective to the whole thing.

Organisation : Ballmer's reorg and retirement news come at the heat of intense belief and speculation that he was forced out early, judging by the CEO candidates they're looking for and how MS wants someone new this year.

Privacy : Edward. Snowden. Why did you have to be the front-runner company shown to wag its tail to NSA at first call, MS?

WP : The Nokia buy-out, in all pretext was MS saving WP from irrelevance. Nokia's bet on WP was a fucking disaster, & had Nokia jump ship to Android, WP would've been dead there and then. MS can pretend that the deal was part of their evolution into hardware, but it was pretty obviously a poor deal for MS. ( they can't even use the Nokia brand for smartphones, wtf )

Surface : Surface 1/RT was a complete disaster, and despite Surface 2 looking to be an excellent product, it's priced poorly, still has identity problems with their RT line, & with their launch timing... they're going to get destroyed by the new iPad.

Windows : No news, which means nothing. PC sales continue to decline, W8 continues to not meet expectations internally.

Xbox : PR Disaster 180.

There's like 4 threads about Ryse being 900P

Was confirmed by Crytek president I believe

Supposedly "always" 900P

Yeah I know it's confirmed as 900p upscaled, but the video footage we've seen has been native 1080p according to pixel counters (bringing the always 900p into disrepute). I haven't seen any current video that has been confirmed as upscaled from 900p.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The advanced scaler chip and presence of the display planes has lead me to believe that XBO was never a console designed for native 1080p but one that's going to be very reliant on scaling.

The upclocks causing issues would be a shocker to me. I thought for sure since they were relatively modest changes that they would be fine.

My pet theory is the MS gave the approval for the Xbox 720 program late, and only with some serious strings attached.
tumblr_m1mkwdUaGU1r9g4gho1_400.jpg

Hahahaha, perfect image choice. It should be standard for any conspiracy/speculation rant.

Off-topic: That is in my top 3 scenes of the entire series.

Piggus

Man, all that grey. Microsoft must have seen the thread and got as many shills on the case as possible.

I won't pretend all of them are astroturfers because obviously I don't know for sure. But I'll say it again Microsoft because I know you're reading this: Fuck off with the shills. You're doing more harm than good, trust me.

ekim

Yeah I know it's confirmed as 900p upscaled, but the video footage we've seen has been native 1080p according to pixel counters (bringing the always 900p into disrepute). I haven't seen any current video that has been confirmed as upscaled from 900p.

Well we haven't even got some 1080p videos so far so I guess it doesn't really matter. Even the 720p youtube videos look good but of course don't show all the details.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Unfortunately it's starting to look that way, yes. Let's just hope SOME third party devs have integrity and huge balls.

Pixel counting was always a bit over my head

Mainly because I have the patience of a goldfish

So no idea on that front although would be interesting to know if Ryse was 1080P targeted but brought down due to XB1 incompetence

I imagine Crytek like to work on PCs mainly up until recently so perhaps the 1080p native footage if its real is from a PC?

Well we haven't even got some 1080p videos so far so I guess it doesn't really matter. Even the 720p youtube videos look good but of course don't show all the details.

I thought I'd watched some 1080p direct from Blim's website?
I'm just interested to see how much difference there is from 1080 to upscaled 900.

eso76

Xbone titles to be 720p or 900p in order to keep up with Ps4 eyecandy (in terms of assets and effects and whatnot).

Not surprising, actually. We've known the specs for a while now and that was expected tbh.

I wonder how PS4 games will look on a 720p display, because i might decide to delay the planned tv upgrade..

madmackem

I remember the likes of Burnout Paradise where they lead on the inferior platform, that seemed to work out better. Maybe they should lead on X1 and then add what they can for PS4 and PC, everyone wins.

Different then as they were dealing with different systems, all now based on the pc means its almost irrelevant to who is lead as it will be much easier to port between them all.

If they can release at least Forza at 1080p at launch, I'm pretty sure that 5+ years in they will be able to do 1080p better than before, not worse.......

Game Guru

Every single MS news as of late simply has way too strong of a negative perspective to the whole thing.

Organisation : Ballmer's reorg and retirement news come at the heat of intense belief and speculation that he was forced out early, judging by the CEO candidates they're looking for and how MS wants someone new this year.

Privacy : Edward. Snowden. Why did you have to be the front-runner company shown to wag its tail to NSA at first call, MS?

WP : The Nokia buy-out, in all pretext was MS saving WP from irrelevance. Nokia's bet on WP was a fucking disaster, & had Nokia jump ship to Android, WP would've been dead there and then. MS can pretend that the deal was part of their evolution into hardware, but it was pretty obviously a poor deal for MS. ( they can't even use the Nokia brand for smartphones, wtf )

Surface : Surface 1/RT was a complete disaster, and despite Surface 2 looking to be an excellent product, it's priced poorly, still has identity problems with their RT line, & with their launch timing... they're going to get destroyed by the new iPad.

Windows : No news, which means nothing. PC sales continue to decline, W8 continues to not meet expectations internally.

Xbox : PR Disaster 180.

Man, with all this bad news about Microsoft, I get the feeling that the people making gaming platforms by the end of the generation will be Sony, Nintendo, and Valve. If Microsoft continues down the path they are currently on, they will end up as relevant as Kodak is.

Of course, I like the Windows ecosystem, but at this point, I can't see how even it will survive under Microsoft's poor decision. I'm glad I'm playing around with Android and Ubuntu given what's happening with Microsoft.

The problem with that thinking is that development for the PS4 is, apparently, extremely similar to the PC due to similarities between its relatively simple hardware structure and that of modern PCs. That means that games developed with PC as the lead platform - which generally already have much higher-quality assets than consoles can handle - can be dialed down relatively easily until they fall within the bracket the PS4 can handle by simply reducing resolution and other scalable features.

The X-Box One only becomes a bottleneck when a game is developed with it as the lead development platform, because in that case there might not be higher-quality assets created to scale up to. (Though, even most games targeting low-spec machines do have higher-quality assets in existence somewhere along the development pipeline, if only because it's somewhat better to do things "big" and then scale down than the reverse.)

There's very little likelihood the X-Box One will be the lead development platform for third-party games unless it obtains a significant advantage in market share, which presently does not seem likely.

Goku

Banned
This is cboat you're talking about. Be skeptical sure, but don't be out of your wits either.

To be fair, he has been wrong on the yield issues... and that was quite a significant rumour. It seems illogical to me to slightly overclock the CPU if they're having reliability issues with thermals for games running in 1080p.

IN&OUT

Banned
$499 is too much to ask MS, drop it to $299 just to equalize PS4 overall value.

EDIT: Drop it to $99 for me to really consider one.

Acheteedo

Hmm, concerning to hear, glad I'm getting a PS4 as well. But with Forza 5, a launch title, managing 1080p, I'm not sure if this will pan out as he predicts.

FINALBOSS

Banned
To be fair, he has been wrong on the yield issues... and that was quite a significant rumour. It seems illogical to me to slightly overclock the CPU if they're having reliability issues with thermals for games running in 1080p.

You can't make a judgement call whether he was wrong on yield issues at this point and time. All we have to back up his statement thus far is rumblings of less supply than Sony and the huge reduction in the number of launch countries for the Xbone.

Seems pretty telling to me.

8bit

Knows the Score
Wouldn't a year old Xonebox be a devkit? Not sure the uptime would be relevant for that versus final hardware.

Hurf

Neo Member
I'm convinced that /r/xboxone is the result of a Kafkaesque nightmare of buildings filled with "social marketers" shilling to one another.

In all seriousness, even if the XBO could only do 720p, I don't see it affecting sales. The mainstream doesn't care - not everyone has a +46" TV to play on. I feel much of this debate is the equivalent of boys measuring themselves

Where is the evidence to make such a claim?

Indeed he was wrong. Overall track record is superb.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Where is it starting to look like that. Name me one dev.

Well just the occasional comment that makes me nervous like the Battlefield devs not wanting to specify the resolution or Watch Dogs not looking as crisp as when it was first shown ... just little snippets here and there. And then of course articles appearing in which devs say they're going to be aiming for 'parity'. It's out there. You've just got to look. The EDGE had one recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom