• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Avellone is working on Prey

I was going to put this game on the back of my mind and wait until release to play it without knowing a thing, but now I can't see myself resisting every bit of news about it.

Vibranium

Banned
Welp, people who were sad about the change in direction can be excited. This is the man all studios need on freelance.

I like where they're going with it.

bigjig

Well, well, well I was bummed that they ditched the original direction of the Prey 2 reveal, but this sounds promising

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
fXCUz27.jpg

Sober

So it's a Kickstarter then?
He's a stretch goal!

Also I think there was an article floating somewhere where the playable character can be a man or woman, which is nice. I assume both will be Asian as well considering the name (Morgan Yu).

Mechazawa

...hasn't this game been in development at Arkane Austin for years?

I find it weird that they have anything for him to do there.

Nairume

Banned
...hasn't this game been in development at Arkane Austin for years?

I find it weird that they have anything for him to do there.
He officially left Obsidian over a year ago and was already doing work for hire before then. It's possible he's been working with them on it for a while.

And that's not including time he likely was working on it when the game was reportedly being worked on by Obsidian at one point.

Mechazawa

He officially left Obsidian over a year ago and was already doing work for hire before then. It's possible he's been working with them on it for a while.

And that's not including time he likely was working on it when the game was reportedly being worked on by Obsidian at one point.

Jesus, you're right, it felt like he left Obsidian a couple of months ago or something.

Time flies I guess.

Sober

FUCK. It has been a year. I remember he quit a few months after I met him at PAX East last year. God, it hasn't felt like a year.

Staf

Never heard of Prey before the conference. But if Avellone has a finger on it i'm interested. One of the best writers around.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Never heard of Prey before the conference. But if Avellone has a finger on it i'm interested. One of the best writers around.

Prey had some really cool mechanics when it came out originally and even now is still worth having a play through.

I was going to link to the Steam page here but for some reason it isn't there anymore, anybody know what's up with that?

Edit: Just read you can still pick the game up on certain key re-seller sites.

Dark Matter

Neo Member
So, quick recap: they scrapped Prey 2 and now they are working on a reboot, keeping all the good ideas (rpg elements) from the cancelled project and adding the help of almighty Avellone?

Time to join the hype train i guess.

Hehe, Chris also worked on Human Head's Prey 2 at Obsidian.

I did not,know this. Nice to see that they are keeping all the good things from the Prey2 project.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Prey had some really cool mechanics when it came out originally and even now is still worth having a play through.

I was going to link to the Steam page here but for some reason it isn't there anymore, anybody know what's up with that?

The Steam version was published by 2K and its publishing contract expired. Bethesda hasn't put the game back up because it has a stick up its arse about reinstating games that are unconnected to the ones it has released, which is why Wolf09 and Quake Wars also firmly remain in the pages of Steam Store history despite publishing rights defaulting back to id (Quake 4 seems to be something of the exception for some reason -- it wasn't reinstated but rather made available in the first place by Bethesda).

I think some licensing nonsense led it it no longer being available on steam? Interestingly, even though Prey wasn't a steamworks title, they managed to work things out where Prey retail CD keys can be activated on Steam. All the keys being sold now are almost certainly from old retail copies.

Anyway, with regard to the topic - yes please. The trailer didn't really evoke anything "Prey", but it looked cool enough, and with Avellone having some part in it, it's definitely on my radar.

So, quick recap: they scrapped Prey 2 and now they are working on a reboot, keeping all the good ideas (rpg elements) from the cancelled project and adding the help of almighty Avellone?

Time to join the hype train i guess.

I did not,know this. Nice to see that they are keeping all the good things from the Prey2 project.

not from the cancelled Prey 2 project, but from a system shock 2 spiritual successor project. although Obsidian did get its hands on the original Prey 2.

Dark Matter

Neo Member
not from the cancelled Prey 2 project, but from a system shock 2 spiritual successor project. although Obsidian did get its hands on the original Prey 2.

I didn't saw the trailer when i wrote that post.

I think the new concept is less daring and interesting (though i loved the hell out of SS2), a little bit of a disappointment here, but still hyped to see how the game will pan out.

Nairume

Banned
Honesly, it feels like a waste of talent.

I'd much rather have him on RPG all the times.
Honestly, I'm of the opposite mind. I'm glad to see him getting to spread out and work on other genres that aren't tied down by rpg genre trappings/expectations.

Given what he's said in the past (in regards to wanting to not keep doing the same old stuff), I imagine he's glad too.

The trailer made the impression that Prey is as a "mindfuck" experience, which, to me, is almost always shitty. "You know what we've been telling and showing you all along? It was all a lie! Oh my god, isn't your mind fucking BLOWN?!?!" I hope Prey can avoid this.

xealo

The trailer made the impression that Prey is as a "mindfuck" experience, which, to me, is almost always shitty. "You know what we've been telling and showing you all along? It was all a lie! Oh my god, isn't your mind fucking BLOWN?!?!" I hope Prey can avoid this.

Id say Chris Avellone is probably a competent enough game writer to avoid that pitfall.

Mr. Tibbs

According to Game Informer, Chris Avellone's main role was basically just consulting, with a little bit of story work and some quest contributions:

"But I know some people were wondering, because around E3, Chris Avellone Tweeted he was working on [Prey]. There's a lot of confusion about what exactly is going on with that. He just did a little bit of consulting apparently. Like they brought him in relatively early and the way they described it is that he patched up some possible theoretical loopholes in the storyline and then did a couple of side quests."

Top Bottom