• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic SEGA games receive modern art treatment.

Tizoc

A Sonic 2 print (Sonic + Tails) is in the works. The artist making it is pretty well known too. Shining Force. That is a good one too.

Rest assured I'm making notes of everything suggested in this thread! :)

As for expenses. These prints fit any standard 24 x 36 frame or 60 x 90 cm you can get at IKEA for maybe 20 bucks.

Looking forward to it, personally my fav. of the Sonic artwork are the ones from the early 90s, so much charm in them

G3331front.jpg

48607_front.jpg

gelf

Panzer Dragoon would be my choice but it might be tough trying to work with art that was already perfect.

A Sonic 2 print (Sonic + Tails) is in the works. The artist making it is pretty well known too. Shining Force. That is a good one too.

As for expenses. These prints fit any standard 24 x 36 frame or 60 x 90 cm you can get at IKEA for maybe 20 bucks.

Well I'm compelled to post then! :)

Wonderboy in Monster World
Jet Set Radio Future
Sonic CD (the race with Metal Sonic would be beyond perfect)
Alex Kidd (Miracle World or Shinobi World which is an under appreciated gem)

Oh and Ristar. As you can see by the responses in this thread Ristar is a must.

These prints are beautiful. Exceptionally well designed. Personally speaking I intend to buy a load of these as I'm moving soon and these would be perfect. Great to hear you're producing more prints like Sonic and Shenmue. You have one definite customer right here. Please do let us know if any more prints are coming and keep us updated. Your efforts are appreciated.

RhyDin

Just bought Phantasy Star #138, it's the most gorgeous art I've ever laid eyes on that was made of the original game.

Someone should grab 87 and 88 - game came out that year in Japan and North America, respectively.

D3VI0US

Gunstar Heroes, JSRF, REZ, PSO, Panzer Dragoon anything, Gunvalkryie, Super Monkey Ball, PS2 Shinobi, Virtual On!

Sorcerer

That Phantasy Star artwork contains spoilers!!! jk

Seriously though, it is absolutely stunning.

Interesting that they only chose the eyeballs to rep the over world enemies but I figure they just look more natural because they can fly.

Would love to see them do something with the female cast of Phantasy Star 2 including Neifirst and Mother Brain.

Koobion

Streets of Rage is my favorite series ever! Very exciting to see new artwork for it. The style is different; I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but it has grown on me.

CookBeck, compliments on these incredible works of art. It's hard to pick which one I'd want the most; you make them all look fantastic, even some Sega games I wasn't into.

And for throwing out suggestions, if no one has mentioned this before,

Comix Zone would be pretty cool to see

Comix_Zone_Coverart.png

comix-zone-02.png

Dremark

Banned
Just bought Phantasy Star #138, it's the most gorgeous art I've ever laid eyes on that was made of the original game.

Someone should grab 87 and 88 - game came out that year in Japan and North America, respectively.

I picked up 87. It was not cheap but I really love the art. Phantasy Star was my first RPG, my favorite game on the SMS and still one of my all time favorites so that factored in as well.

tagrat

I picked up 87. It was not cheap but I really love the art. Phantasy Star was my first RPG, my favorite game on the SMS and still one of my all time favorites so that factored in as well.

Weird, I just ordered mine and on my invoice it is listed as 87. I also picked up Golden Axe #100.

Dremark

Banned
Weird, I just ordered mine and on my invoice it is listed as 87. I also picked up Golden Axe #100.

Did you select that number as your preferred number or did it just come up that way?

The Golden Axe art was really nice too. I like the game as well but these aren't exactly cheap. I'm both looking forward to and dreading the Space Harrier and NiGHTS ones at the same time.

Trakdown

Awesome work!

I'd like to second the Alex Kidd requests and also put forth E-Swat, Quartet and Phantasy Star Online if it's an option.

tagrat

Did you select that number as your preferred number or did it just come up that way?

The Golden Axe art was really nice too. I like the game as well but these aren't exactly cheap. I'm both looking forward to and dreading the Space Harrier and NiGHTS ones at the same time.

I selected it. Yeah I am going to be hurting when Space Harrier hits.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
They're all great.

I'd definitely buy the AM#2 classics if you're looking to do other Sega properties...

• Sega Rally
  • AfterBurner
  • Daytona USA
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Virtua Cop

I'd second the Daytona USA one, that's my favorite Sega franchise. I'd buy a print of the cars from Daytona 1 and 2 done in a Charlie Kimble cutaway style, like this.

I'd also add House of the Dead to the above list. Make it with the hillbilly zombie with the chainsaw in the original.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Fantasy Zone, Outrun and Super Hang On would be pretty sweet.

Baleoce

Golden Axe one is amazing.

I'd like to see in this modernised style:

Shining Force
Outrun
After Burner
Space Harrier
Hang On
Altered Beast
Kid Chameleon

CookBeck

Of everything I have seen mentioned Shining Force and Ristar we did not have on our radar yet, but we do have it now. :)

It is great to see such positive feedback! Makes it really worth it. When we approached SEGA with this idea late last year we sort of expected that this would be an initiative fans would like, but we were getting very nervous close to launch :)

Detail shot of the Streets of Rage one and Golden Axe. Very small but so you visibly know they are official, even without the Certificate.

vjPV2zD.jpg

BCgYe5C.jpg

I love when these are done but I can't stand limited print numbers. I loved the Okami ones but couldn't get my hands on one the day they were released because of that.

There is no reason for artificially inflating the price of these by only making a hundred or so. It's 2015, just make enough to for whoever wants them; same goes for Mondo.

Also not a fan of the Jet Set Radio one, buy Golden Axe and Phantasy Star look amazing.

woopWOOP

The Jet Set Radio and Streets of Rage ones are the kind of images I can see being used for early magazine advertisements or even gameboxes.

They're all great, thanks for sharing :D

(Also, Dynamite Headdy coming up? Can't wait!)

Huggers

That Golden Axe one is incredible. I'm tempted to drop $115 on it if they'll ship to the UK. Not mad about the Streets of Rage one tbh. I'd like to see a Toejam and Earl one.

BrunoM

I'll keep my eyes open for the sonic ones

Please look into making something from Alex Kid miracle world I'll jump on that day one !! Lol

Loving the Golden Axe and Phantasy Star. The style for PS looked familiar, thought it was Kilian Eng and lo and behold, it is. Loving his style.

As for other games, I'd definitely like to see:

Blades of Vengeance
Chakan: The Forever Man
Doom Troopers: The Mutant Chronicles
Eternal Champions
Generations Lost
Second Samurai
Skeleton Krew
Weaponlord
Wolf Child

They're not exactly classics like most of the others mentioned here, but I think a gritty and dark fantasy style would suit a lot of them and they'd look great, especially stuff like Chakan.

CookBeck, compliments on these incredible works of art. It's hard to pick which one I'd want the most; you make them all look fantastic, even some Sega games I wasn't into.

Comix_Zone_Coverart.png

comix-zone-02.png

I'd love to see a modern day Comix Zone.

ajim

So far I can confirm that we will do

Sonic
Shenmue
Space Channel 5
NIGHTS: Into Dreams
Crazy Taxi
Space Harrier

Couple more. Need to look that up.

We ask artists what their favorite classic game is and that's the one we have made. They really need to have a connection with it.

So we need to find an artists that loves Dynamite Heady :)

Awesome! Nights and shenmue is what I was looking for!

SpotAnime

Yeah that PS print is the definition of beauty. I would have jumped on it had I had a space for it in my mancave. It's bad enough I have all the Smash Bros posters and still haven't found a place for those yet.

But keep pumping these out, they are beautiful! Here are some more suggestions:

After Burner
Shining Force
BURNING RANGERS!
Altered Beast
Fantasy Zone
ESWAT
NiGHTS
Sonic Spinball
Beyond Oasis/Legend of Oasis
Sword of Vermilion

These are so cool! I'd love to see...

Comix Zone
Dragon's Revenge
Dynamite Headdy
Gunstar Heroes
Kid Chameleon
Landstalker
Toejam & Earl (very apt due to the successful KickStarter)
Vectorman

Xbudz

I'm SO going to be printing these out at work.
The benefits of working at a graphic design company.

i was hoping to buy a Phantasy Star print of Hitoshi Yoneda's work. hopefully you guys will go back doing original artwork again.

also more Shining Force please. Panzer Dragoon!

SegaShack

I'd have to say Shining Force, love that series and it's a perfect fit. Would also love a Sonic and Knuckles one as well. These are fantastic.

CookBeck

Isn't that basically stealing?

I guess it's their fault for not watermarking the digital version...

The 1600 pixels versions on our site are free to download and print for your own use. These are high-res enough to make a good computer wallpaper and to appreciate all the details.

The originals we created these prints from are 1GB files at 300dpi :)

CookBeck

[/IMG]

Thanks, and Comix Zone would be awesome indeed.

Top Bottom