• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic SEGA games receive modern art treatment.

CookBeck

The Phantasy Star one is really awesome, but it's a bit too rich for my blood, since FedEx + customs would probably bump it to around $300.

I might bite the bullet for a Space Harrier or Outrun one, tho.

Customs for US and EU = 0. Guaranteed. Canada 90% too but somehow sometimes people do get charges.

FedEx with tracking. Fully insured (so we guarantee a pristine print or replace free of charge) = $18 in the US. Expect about EUR 12 for most EU countries.

CookBeck

Am I crazy, or was the edition originally 100 instead of 200, and the price $99 bucks?

Edition was always 200. Intro price was $99. After the first 25 copies sold it became $115. When we're down to the last 50 price will probably go up to $130. So if you're considering anything, don't wait too long.

By the way, it is very likely that Kilian Eng will do Space Harrier.

CookBeck

Cook Beck, would you guys consider doing one for The House of the Dead and Gunstar Heroes? Both games meant a lot to me growing up due to being able to play them with a friend that is no longer around, sadly. Thanks for considering this at least.

I personally like both those choices. House of the Dead if fully owned by SEGA so that would be easier to achieve. Gunstar Heroes I played a lot as a kid too. The brand is owned by Treasure but we have contacts there as they created an holographic Ikaruga artwork for our museum show last year.

Hotsuma

I personally like both those choices. House of the Dead if fully owned by SEGA so that would be easier to achieve. Gunstar Heroes I played a lot as a kid too. The brand is owned by Treasure but we have contacts there as they created an holographic Ikaruga artwork for our museum show last year.

I'll more than likely purchase the Golden Axe artwork and hope for House of the Dead. Thanks in advance.

androvsky

I don't suppose there's any hope for the first Sakura Wars? There's at least a bit of a fanbase in the west for the anime at least...

ChrisG683

I second this always.

I was knee deep in these for a while, but my slant was always the "HD remix" angle (as in, if these were modern sprite-based games).

I ended up doing official artwork for Sega's re-release of Guardian Heroes back in the day (just marketing images, sadly, not the remaster I was hoping for).

I used to post them all the time, but all those links are long dead :)

If any aspect of what I've done remotely approaches the quality you're striving for, I'd certainly be interested.

Oh my gossshhhh, I love Guardian Heroes, and this artwork is amazing!

If only the game was ported to Steam and not the 360 XBLA (which I bought anyways), then I could play it whenever I want.

Hotsuma

Whats the difference between the paper? I've never purchased anything like this before, so I want the best one.

Canvas: Paper, Radiant White 270 gsm
Dibond + Diasec® and Acrylic glass (Recommend)

Canvas: Paper, Photo Rag® Bright White 310 gsm.

Holy Shit! Just seen the price for the second choice! LOL I'll go with the first one for affordability...even if the results sound amazing.

CookBeck

Whats the difference between the paper? I've never purchased anything like this before, so I want the best one.

Canvas: Paper, Radiant White 270 gsm
Dibond + Diasec® and Acrylic glass (Recommend)

Canvas: Paper, Photo Rag® Bright White 310 gsm.

Holy Shit! Just seen the price for the second choice! LOL I'll go with the first one for affordability...even if the results sound amazing.

All the prints are on archival paper. The Radiant White and Photo Rag are the same quality. The Photo Rag is slightly heavier (thicker) than the Radiant White which is needed if you want to do that Dibond mount with Diasec and facemounted acrylic glass.

The Dibond option is basically a modern, museum-grade standard framing method that really brings out the colors and vibrancy in these pieces. But the prints themselves are spectacular without them.

The result looks like this
tR6t3Kv.jpg

Dibond mount and our traditional wooden frames side by side
Tl3zMKA.jpg

Bar81

I'm in for GA and Shinobi. Keep the Sega Mega Drive and Saturn love coming and you'll keep getting my dollars.

Bar81

Edition was always 200. Intro price was $99. After the first 25 copies sold it became $115. When we're down to the last 50 price will probably go up to $130. So if you're considering anything, don't wait too long.

By the way, it is very likely that Kilian Eng will do Space Harrier.

Not sure about that. It says my Shinobi is 12 and it's $115.

Awesome art work - might have to order myself one or two of these!

Doubt you need more suggestions but an "After Burner" themed print would be a cool addition :)

CookBeck

Not sure about that. It says my Shinobi is 12 and it's $115.

Mmm. It seems my colleague made the USD dollar price match the EUR one after a day of sales irrespective of copies sold. Anyway, they'll stay at these prices for now.

atomico

Customs for US and EU = 0. Guaranteed. Canada 90% too but somehow sometimes people do get charges.

FedEx with tracking. Fully insured (so we guarantee a pristine print or replace free of charge) = $18 in the US. Expect about EUR 12 for most EU countries.

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina :(

It's been a couple years since I used FedEx, but getting even an A4 envelope delivered to this god forsaken place would cost $50. Factor in the taxes/import fees of an additional 50% of the declared value for parcels exceeding $25 and yeah, things get kinda rough.

CookBeck

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina :(

It's been a couple years since I used FedEx, but getting even an A4 envelope delivered to this god forsaken place would cost $50. Factor in the taxes/import fees of an additional 50% of the declared value for parcels exceeding $25 and yeah, things get kinda rough.

We could declare value sub $25 if you want but that's no guarantee of course. Also our tubes are sturdy and big so customs might become suspicious anyway :). In any case, if you do decide to give it a try contact us via our contact form and we can see how we can help you out to get it as low cost as possible.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Jet Set Radio (my favorite), Phantasy Star, and Golden Axe look great. Shinobi looks cool as well. Just a shame I can't afford any of them. Would get JSR so fast.

Would like to see Gunstar Heroes. Great to see stuff like Sonic will be done eventually.

CookBeck

Thanks! :)

Jet Set is a personal favorite of mine too. Because it is a completely 3D modelled scene and the level of texture detail is fantastic. I do like freaky stuff though I guess haha.

Some close up shots of that one
Jx5pIRa.jpg

zdpslee.jpg

sgtmofo

Neo Member
Is there any chance of these titles being revisited by another artist? I'd love to see Shiva incorporated into a Streets of Rage piece.

woodypop

For the most part, I like these. Stylistically, they're great. But there are composition/execution issues with some of them that keep them from being perfect (and a slam-dunk purchase) for me.

Phantasy Star: Noah's face is so tiny, especially compared to Odin's, who's standing beside him. And something about Odin's arm looks off, like its size, or the way it's connected to his shoulder is wonky. Otherwise, the print looks awesome.

Streets of Rage: Too much emphasis on the foreground thug. And I don't like the SEGA logo on Axel's shirt; it's not true to the source and distractingly breaks the fourth wall.

Golden Axe: The prominence of Tyris is too strong. She's gorgeous, but it makes it seem like the game should be called "Tyris Flare in Golden Axe." The art style is fantastic though. Like the Phantasy Star print, it conveys the mood of the game very well.

Despite the criticisms, it's great to see new art based on these SEGA properties. Look forward to seeing more!

CookBeck

Is there any chance of these titles being revisited by another artist? I'd love to see Shiva incorporated into a Streets of Rage piece.

Yes. We ask the artists which games they have the most fond memory off and they can more or less make that one. If they have a personal, maybe childhood connection, that shines through in the art we think. If you love a certain game you'll likely get the detail right :)

So it's very likely that we'll have multiple prints of certain popular games.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, Outrun would also be cool to see.

Also, for Sonic, will it a specific game, or a celebration of all 3 (& Knuckles) games on the Genesis?

jay

This is probably an unpopular perspective and likely impossible due to rights/sponsors stuff, but I would buy at least one of these and likely one upcoming one (Shenmue) if the game names were absent. I find art with words or logos to be kind of tacky.

woodypop

This is probably an unpopular perspective and likely impossible due to rights/sponsors stuff, but I would buy at least one of these and likely one upcoming one (Shenmue) if the game names were absent. I find art with words or logos to be kind of tacky.
Good point.

CookBeck

Interesting point. We could consider logo-less variants but in a lot of cases removing the logo would diminish the composition. Having the logo is not a licensing requirement. Most logo's are (subtly) redrawn by the artist anyway to fit the style of their print.

Bar81

Interesting point. We could consider logo-less variants but in a lot of cases removing the logo would diminish the composition. Having the logo is not a licensing requirement. Most logo's are (subtly) redrawn by the artist anyway to fit the style of their print.

The logos need to stay. Tastefully done of course (as imo, they have been on the GA, Phantasy Star and Shinobi posters).

CookBeck

For everybody that ordered a print and is following this thread. Most SEGA prints that were ordered unframed shipped yesterday already. So they are on their way and could show up from tomorrow.

We are having some issues with the order statuses not updating with the FedEx tracking numbers which we hope to have fixed within a day.

eXistor

Goddamit, I just ordered the Phantasy Star one...I'm probably gonna frame it and hang it in my living room anyway so I figured it was worth the price.

Ferr986

So far I can confirm that we will do

Sonic
Shenmue
Space Channel 5
NIGHTS: Into Dreams
Crazy Taxi
Space Harrier

Couple more. Need to look that up.

We ask artists what their favorite classic game is and that's the one we have made. They really need to have a connection with it.

So we need to find an artists that loves Dynamite Heady :)

That's an insta-bought, you know.

CookBeck

I'm excited about the Space Channel 5 one myself. Ulala and the whole IP just makes for a cool print design. We've got a great female artist working on it.

Shenmue one will likely drop late June, early July.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
interested in what direction the vf piece will take, considering most of the promo art was just cg models!

Top Bottom