• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic SEGA games receive modern art treatment.

I'm kind of torn on what i would want from the virtua fighter print if it happens.

The blocky 3d style like the arcade marquee for 1 and 2 is awesome and iconic.

latest

364251_Virtua-Fighter-2_instructions_00.jpg

But there is great original art for the series as well.

latest

latest

The virtua fighter remix style is my favorite though. Not sure of the artist's name.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What?
Panzer Dragoon was made by Team Andromeda, which was a SEGA internal studio.

What about Panzer Dragoon Orta? It was made by Smilebit, which was a second-party, not a first-party. Smilebit eventually got re-absorbed by Sega, but after Orta came out.

There's this on the Smilebit Wikipedia page:
Wikipedia said:
In 2000 all of Sega's in-house Consumer (CS) and Amusement Machine (AM) R&D departments were separated from the main company and established on 9 semi-autonomous subsidiaries, with each subsidiary getting an elected president as a studio head.[1] However, for more financial stability, Sega began consolidating its studios into six main ones (Sega Wow, Sega AM2, Hitmaker, Amusement Vision, Smilebit, Sonic Team) in 2003, and merged them back into a uniform R&D structure in 2004.
Smilebit was formed from CS1, which contained staff from the Panzer Dragoon series, sports games and PC conversion staff.
*shrugs* Wonder if that has something to do with it...

I don't know. Was it maybe inspired by an existing story or comic book or other? Maybe the creators negotiated co-ownership at the time. The only thing SEGA could tell me was that there are many third-party owners.

Re: Moebius. French copyright law by the way makes it impossible for a visual artist to waive ownership of work created even in a work-for-hire situation. They have a very pro-artist system there.

that's a real bummer ... ( this explains why we don't have anything related to PD out from SEGA)

Panzer is begging for being made into one of those fine piece of art. The design, the world, the color scheme ...

Does that mean, it was given up or it is just a lengthy process due to this complexity ?

I will buy 2 copies if you guys pull it through :cool:

Bar81

What about Panzer Dragoon Orta? It was made by Smilebit, which was a second-party, not a first-party. Smilebit eventually got re-absorbed by Sega, but after Orta came out.

I'll take that. Sega must have the rights to that at least if they were able to release Orta many years after the original Trilogy.

OK, for anyone who's been following this thread, I have some answers back from SEGA:

Panzer Dragoon is not an intellectual property (IP) that is fully owned by SEGA. There are multiple rights holders involved. I don't know who (could be Moebius even maybe?) so getting the license to do a print is tough unfortunately.

Wow - did anyone know this previously? Might mean we'll never see an HD collection (as if there was ever any actual hope)

Would love to see what you guys could do with that - please kee trying.

But fuuuuck I cant wait for that NiGHTS image

OK, for anyone who's been following this thread, I have some answers back from SEGA:

Panzer Dragoon is not an intellectual property (IP) that is fully owned by SEGA. There are multiple rights holders involved. I don't know who (could be Moebius even maybe?) so getting the license to do a print is tough unfortunately.

That's a surprise. I'd love to know the story behind that.

I guess there is no hope for a nice 20th anniversary print...

Aren't there PD stages in Sonic & All-Stars Racing?

you are correct ... Unless the artist from C&B is planning to use the Moebius art from the Japanese boxart, it should be similar to SASRT.

I am really puzzled to hear SEGA says they do not fully own Panzer.

I hope the team will figure it out...

CookBeck

Confusing for us too. As mentioned above, they did Panzer Dragoon Orta years after PD came out.

Obviously we'll keep trying anyway :) but this does explain the relative lack of PD products out of SEGA.

Katsuya Terada worked on Virtua Fighter? That is awesome. Terada's artwork goes for thousands of dollars (google Terada Black Marker drawings). I'm definitely going to chase that up :)

Gerald Parel, who did our Golden Axe piece https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/1193/golden-axe-sega.html is very interested in doing a VF work as well.

woodypop

Katsuya Terada worked on Virtua Fighter? That is awesome. Terada's artwork goes for thousands of dollars (google Terada Black Marker drawings). I'm definitely going to chase that up :)
Just Google'd Terada, and discovered he also did the illustrations for Sol Divide--didn't know that. Guy does some incredible work.

Bar81

Confusing for us too. As mentioned above, they did Panzer Dragoon Orta years after PD came out.

Obviously we'll keep trying anyway :) but this does explain the relative lack of PD products out of SEGA.

Thanks for continuing to push Sega - a PD Orta print would do nicely.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Gerald Parel, who did our Golden Axe piece https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/1193/golden-axe-sega.html is very interested in doing a VF work as well.
hmm, so vf piece hasn't started yet? I'll stop ritualistically checking this thread for the time being then

CookBeck

Just Google'd Terada, and discovered he also did the illustrations for Sol Divide--didn't know that. Guy does some incredible work.

I love his early Zelda drawings too. So cool. Next to Yoshitaka Amano my fav. Japanese game art illustrator.

gunstarhero

I love his early Zelda drawings too. So cool. Next to Yoshitaka Amano my fav. Japanese game art illustrator.

Terada fans most likely already know about this, but if any of you out there like his work, pick up Dragon Girl + Monkey King...it's phenomenal.

61YJsi1aNPL.jpg

CookBeck

hmm, so vf piece hasn't started yet? I'll stop ritualistically checking this thread for the time being then

Sign up for our newsletter (only one every three weeks or so, only about new releases). We announce new prints and release via our newsletter first. That will save you refreshing this thread every day :)

Besides we'll be doing new SEGA prints every few weeks for at least the next two years!

Is there a limited run to these pieces? I just saw this thread and fell in love with the Phantasy Star artwork, but I'm short on cash at the moment.

CookBeck

Is there a limited run to these pieces? I just saw this thread and fell in love with the Phantasy Star artwork, but I'm short on cash at the moment.

Yes, these are limited editions. And we never do reprints. That being said the Phantasy Star is a limited edition of 200 and we sold about 120 so far so there are still enough left.

From the regular sized Shenmue we have 30 left now after a week. Last day tomorrow by the way for the Kickstarter deal we have (because the KS ends on the 18th) for Shenmue.

Unfortunately I now have to wait about a fortnight while they have the frame custom built for my print, I also left the print itself in the care of the framing shop as they need to keep it until then so the frame can be sized and fitted exactly.

CookBeck

Soon is more like a week from now (and maybe even a bit later if we run into some approvals delay). I'll make sure to post here immediately when the VF one goes up.

Hard to tease these really :) I'll see if I can find some angle that does not give away the whole image.

Rydeen

I love the pure 80's ness of this digital painting inspired by Outrun from UK Artist 'Bones'. Details such as the license plates and checkpoint sign are nice touches, although the image would benefit from either the removal of the outrun text, or the inclusion of the official Outrun title logo.

http://artbybones.com/gallery.htm

Outrun%20130814%20logo%20800.jpg

There's a few other game related art works in his gallery so take a look.

Kind of disappointed in this one, TBH. It's not 80's ENOUGH, Out Run of all games, should have an airbrushed piece, with desert chrome text and neon and super blue skies and super green palm trees and bright red Ferrari. There's New Retro Wave albums with artwork that does a better job of capturing that flavor than this piece.

EDIT: NVM I thought this was part of the Sega prints series, didn't realize this was just a fan piece. I do like his Zombies Ate My Neighbors piece on his site tho.

oneida

Soon is more like a week from now (and maybe even a bit later if we run into some approvals delay). I'll make sure to post here immediately when the VF one goes up.

Hard to tease these really :) I'll see if I can find some angle that does not give away the whole image.

You mentioned that Gerald Parel was interested in doing the VF piece - was he the one who ended up working on it?

CookBeck

You mentioned that Gerald Parel was interested in doing the VF piece - was he the one who ended up working on it?

Yes, he's doing the first VF print.

And we've got Veronique Meignaud working on Space Channel 5. She's perfect for it (in my humble opinion of course)

Pic of a large Shenmue piece shipping out today with a Dibond/Arcylic finish :)

jx65FHx.jpg

Can't wait to see the SC5 one ... I am running out of space in my SEGA game room !!!! :D

Edit : just saw the new okami prints too ... this is becoming out of control :)

Hey, did you like the print?

Small update: the Sonic print, the Virtua Fighter one and a first Space Channel 5 print are pretty close to release and will be up at at our site soon.

And for those interested: this show (it's in Dutch but the footage speaks for itself) does an unboxing of two of the SEGA prints: Shenmue and the Jet Set Radio one. Action at 04:50

http://www.gamekings.tv/videos/cook-and-becker-prijsvraag/

It's great, I should get it back framed soon, when I do I'll upload a pic.

And we've got Veronique Meignaud working on Space Channel 5. She's perfect for it (in my humble opinion of course)

jx65FHx.jpg
Oh man that looks nice. I want.

Bar81

jx65FHx.jpg

Is this for only the shenmue print? What's the upcharge?

oneida

OUCH, thanks.

for some perspective, check this video which details the process. It's done by hand, takes several days, and the result is "museum-grade".

Diasec® is a transparent gel and patented process used for facemounting prints against acrylic glass.

Because of the different light penetration and refraction of our acrylic glass compared to normal glass, the colors of a print behind acrylic glass will show to be more brilliant and the image sharper when compared to standard glass. The Diasec®/Acrylic glass process also makes the print resistant to ultraviolet (UV) light and is therefore the standard for museum-grade usage.

Cook & Becker uses Dibond as a carrier for Diasec®/Acrylic glass prints and photo's. The result is a completely flat mount that comes ready to hang.

CookBeck

Top quality framing and/or mounting is expensive I'm afraid but yeah, you get a museum-grade artwork (which means to museum-quality archival standards for contemporary art). That said, I've seen some shockingly poor things in museums :)

We will introduce a 'metal-backed' print later in the year that is significantly lower in price if you are just looking for an affordable, easy to hand solution but still has that archival standard.

oneida

CookBeck, what's the shipping cost for USA for each option (rolled print / framed Dibond) ? Trying to budget this out!

Top Bottom