• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Closer look at the Xbox One from a user who got the console early

wizzbang

Banned
They waste so much space that you can only see 6 achievements on the screen and have to scroll way too much.

That's the new UI / UX design generally across the web and in apps.
It's fucking grotesque, it slays me. The XMB is the finest UI money can buy. This flat, single colour, huge tabletesque shit, on non tablet devices is pure, unadulterated evil.

He downloaded the update. Only 500MB.

There was a 500mb patch that he said took about 2 minutes to download and update. The patch might grow in size though by the time the system is released.

Yeah, maybe I should add more stuff about this. There's a 500mb update he got when he booted the console.

Re: Broken snap/OS, he was being so positive about everything that I saw some people on twitter accusing him of being a marketing ploy by MS until the console ban. So all that atleast seems perfectly fine, even with around 2 weeks to go.

Thanks. Good to hear that snap isn't broken either. Did he happen to talk about XBL and it not working properly? Talk was it would be broken for months - potentially?

Pretty cool tidbits about parental control and locking your account.

So when I say “Xbox, show me my stuff,” it matches the voice, but also my relative size in the room. My son can walk in and give the same command, and it will match the voice and his size and bring up his content. If he does so and tries to play an M-rated game and his account is locked down, he won’t be able to play.

“We actually want to be pretty liberal about letting people play as other people,” Henshaw said. “If I can't get past a level, I want to be able to hand you the controller and get your help. So we stayed liberal on leaving the account logged in and letting other people use it. We stayed conservative on if you log out because you don’t want your son… if you don’t want anyone playing as you, your son can’t get around it.”

So if I leave myself logged in and a kid comes in and picks up the controller, the system won’t boot him because it only sees a small skeleton, but if I set it the parental controls and log out it will look for both my voice and a figure of my size before it lets anyone else log in.

“I don't know the exact percentage, but it needs to see a percentage of your skeleton to map it to you to biometrically ID you. We actually do a really smart blending of facial characteristics and overall skeletal structure, and we combine those two into a profile,” Henshaw said. “That profile is what we use to authenticate you. So you can't just take a glossy 8-1/2 by 11 and hold it up in front of the camera. We did think about that. We had college dorm room visions of people trying to hack that. So we were pretty smart about it.”

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-xbox-ones-ui-may-have-sold-me-on-the-kinect-pack-in

Prine

Banned
Sooooooo fucking excited !!!! That dash has sent me into overdrive!!!! Its a killer app for me, leading the way once again.

And LOL @ CBOAT, expecting him to get called out if it works normally, and so will other insiders for thier BS

Gemüsepizza;89121970 said:
No Dolby Digital?
It'll have to have DD for DVD/Blu-Ray playback, unless it's transcoding on the fly. I don't see why it wouldn't support DD output, although all receivers have supported DTS for a good few years now.

Soupstorm

Neo Member
803a784dc06191c20f2eb82315be61bb.png

I think it's really neat how the Home menu's PiP for Ghosts overlays a full-scale minimap, that'll be great for multitasking in multiplayer. I look forward to seeing how other games adapt for it. The default avatar selection is fantastic too, I can only hope we get something similar on the PS4.

I don't mind detracting from the Xbox One but there's nothing to detract from here. The OS looks really good.

hoos30

Sooooooo fucking excited !!!! That dash has sent me into overdrive!!!! Its a killer app for me, leading the way once again.

And LOL @ CBOAT, expecting him to get called out if it works normally, and so will other insiders for thier BS

"Called out" would be putting it mildly.

CTLance

Good shit. Shame that the guy got banned, I salute him(her?) for the sacrifice.

Also, I hate myself for immediately thinking this was a staged "PR" leak. Nextgen launch, what hast thou done to me.

Rey

From having a windows phone, this is what annoys me about 'theming' your tiles. Certain tiles don't follow it and you end up with a blue tile in a sea of red.

Thats actually something I like. I would hate if the Skype tile would be red. Wouldn't make sence to me.

FireCloud

Ha, this shit always happens to MS. Campus built on an Indian burial ground #TRUTHFACT

Nice. That made me laugh out loud!

Looks really good. I'm glad XB1 is looking much better than what those early staged demos led us to believe.

Hope MS is smart enough to unban him when the console releases officially. It's not like it's his fault it was shipped to him early and the day one patch was online.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Added a bunch of his quotes now.

Thanks. Good to hear that snap isn't broken either. Did he happen to talk about XBL and it not working properly? Talk was it would be broken for months - potentially?

He was online the entire time but it wasn't up for Ghosts(so he did a bot match) and he didn't dl KI which was the only game up for it, so nothing on that yet. He did send a message to someone on the 360 but that's about it.

dejay

Banned
Looks good. Can't wait. Being in Australia I get this before PS4, so I'm more excited for it right now.

demolitio

This guy did more positive news for the Xbox than MS could hope for so it's a shame that he's banned. Glad to hear the OS is responsive although I don't think his comment about his buddy being able to use Kinect voice commands over Skype is necessarily a good thing considering how that's not supposed to happen but thank God for the confirmation screen I guess.

I don't know why I always enjoy something as trivial as free gamerpics but I do. :D

From having a windows phone, this is what annoys me about 'theming' your tiles. Certain tiles don't follow it and you end up with a blue tile in a sea of red.

I don't mind some tiles being in different color (I think it fits pretty well), but non-standard (Facebook, Lastpass, Youtube...) look kinda dumb. I don't mind tiles with pictures either (People, Pictures, Xbox Music) as long as they are somewhat well made.

Papercuts

This guy did more positive news for the Xbox than MS could hope for so it's a shame that he's banned. Glad to hear the OS is responsive although I don't think his comment about his buddy being able to use Kinect voice commands over Skype is necessarily a good thing considering how that's not supposed to happen but thank God for the confirmation screen I guess.

I don't know why I always enjoy something as trivial as free gamerpics but I do. :D

Yeah, some stuff like that seemed weird. Though to clarify it was Skype on his laptop and not the console, but even then I don't think that is meant to work, lol.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Called out for saying that he doesn't know the current state of affairs but 2 months ago snap was broken and the UI was not working properly?

Codeblew

So only one guy got the console early? Seems like marketing.

Edit: Just to add, I work at another major (besides Target) retailer in the US and we just received PS4's in our warehouse 2 days ago. Point is, the XB1 releases a week later and we are to believe that Target already had them in the inventory a few days ago in order to have enough time to ship them out to consumers? Not likely. We also got allocated 3x as many PS4's as XB1's so the rumored manufacturing issues with XB1 seem real. We are to believe that they shipped early? I will not rule it out but this just seems shady.

Midas

Called out for saying that he doesn't know the current state of affairs but 2 months ago snap was broken and the UI was not working properly?

Yeah, this is the problem with people giving hints and leaking stuff. Some people simply do not understand that things can change, not sure why, things should have changed in their own life's?

bidguy

Banned
so the system worked without any problems with live or snap ? no crashes or anything ?

smh at these "insiders" spreading FUD for weeks

Alx

Well, that's spreading FUD by the book. What's the purpose of saying a software is full of bugs during its development ? Of course it is, that's why it's released now and not two months ago.

Papercuts

Wait, what does this mean?

78aa2994deec0619569d9aeb478fbea7.png

If I fiddle around too much, even games get kicked out of memory?

It wasn't super clear what happened there, but it seemed like the game did lose the state it was in despite it not doing that other times he left it for awhile.

He actually said as of the date that he posted it was broken. Which was 11 days ago.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Killer Instinct being the most played game online? o_O

You said what the fuck at that? What should you say seeing Angry Birds Star Wars having more people online than Call of Duty: Ghosts, then. That's where I shouted: WHAT THE FUCK.

Rey

Really? I thought he said that psn was much further ahead and Xbox online was clusterfuck city and snap causing crashes and what not.

Eusis

Wait, what does this mean?

78aa2994deec0619569d9aeb478fbea7.png

If I fiddle around too much, even games get kicked out of memory?
Sounds similar to a mobile OS really.

... except a gaming console/handheld OS should still place the game as top priority, at least only one at a time and "this will need to close" warnings if you're about to do something that'd require the game to close.

OTOH it could've kept a save state and went "well we'll just load up the game again and go back to that."

Acheteedo

e3e477bb001822fd19460d52abeb5daf.png

Huh, wonder if this is an early indicator of how fun these games are... people seem to like Killer Instinct.... Ryse not so much...

Top Bottom