• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud announced for Smash Bros

I don't mean "It will be totally broken on 3DS."

I mean they will probably design for Wii U first and pare it down as necessary for 3DS without worrying about trying to make it equitable.

Son Of D

According to the last investor's meeting, Smash 3DS sold more but Smash Wii U does better with DLC.

I imagine at this point making sure the 3DS version of DLC works as well is a lower priority.

Can't say I'm surprised. Smash Wii U seems to have more sales from more hardcore players and the players more likely to buy DLC.

GenG3000

According to the last investor's meeting, Smash 3DS sold more but Smash Wii U does better with DLC.

I imagine at this point making sure the 3DS version of DLC works as well is a lower priority.

That's because the main buyers in 3DS are probably kids without disposable income or access to credit cards.

Neiteio

That's because the main buyers in 3DS are probably kids without disposable income or access to credit cards.
It's probably also because a chunk of 3DS players moved onto the WiiU version and only play that version now, so why buy characters for both games when you'll only use them on one?

Roo

Wasn't Pirate Ship on the 3DS version by default or is my memory totally goofy? I'd assumed they added it as DLC to the Wii U version only because it was already there on the other one.
It's Wii U exclusive iirc
The Duck Hunt stage (which was also Wii U exclusive) was released as a free DLC stage for 3DS the same day Pirate Ship was available.

L Thammy

I think it's more because a lot of the 3DS owners are likely to be more casual consumers, who don't really care about getting the best possible Smash Bros experience, and may have already shelved the game to go play something else. The Wii U version is more likely to contain the hardcore Nintendo fans, who the ones who stick around and buy the DLC. Especially the camp that goes "I don't even like this character, but I have to buy it because it's Smash DLC". Those guys are going to have the Wii U version (if they don't have both).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just want to remind people that there are Smash DLC Discussion thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021840&page=391

I imagine the hard core Smash Fans "moved on" to the Wii U version when it was released, and those would be the people who make up the bulk of DLC sales.

Not just hardcore fans. There are good amount of casual fans that love Nintendo franchises still buying the IP. I know it's easier to prove that hardcore fans still buying the games.

ffdgh

I suppose I'm apart of the problem. I always buy the stage/character dlc for 3ds and wii u despite not having the latter lol.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I suppose I'm apart of the problem. I always buy the stage/character dlc for 3ds and wii u despite not having the latter lol.

I don't really think that you should worry about that because I did bought all DLC characters and stages for both versions and I don't really play 3DS that much but only if I'm out.

Fandangox

I buy the characters and stages for both versions, since I alternate between the two depending on whichever. My Wii U was on a storage for a while, so played the 3DS version on that timeframe, also I still play it sometimes during commute.

Roo

Wait, for real?
I could have sworn I once saw "Smash Bros" under you name when I was checking my friend list a few months ago.
Weird..

To be honest I don't think Midgar is that intensive.

I mean we got Unova Leage in 3DS.

Which isn't really all that intensive.

SSB4_Unova_Pokemon_League_Reshiram_1.jpg

That's about as intense as it gets, with a handful of 2D animated sprites on the screen. The background is anywhere near what Midgar is.

Not like the stage is being split in two or a massive flood covers the stage.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Which isn't really all that intensive.

SSB4_Unova_Pokemon_League_Reshiram_1.jpg

That's about as intense as it gets, with a handful of 2D animated sprites on the screen. The background is anywhere near what Midgar is.

Not like the stage is being split in two or a massive flood covers the stage.

Being split into two wouldn't be a problem, so is causing a giant pillar of flame or electrfying the stage. Even Bahamut doesn't seem to be intensive.

The flooding really is the only graphically intensive thing but I honestly could see it like how they did Jungle Japes.

Chi3fster

Banned
I'm still amazed at this. I even screenshot my TV when I booted up Smash with Cloud downloaded.

Should've been the last character revealed. Would've been a bigger bang than Bayonetta...

Top Bottom