• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud announced for Smash Bros

Bishop89

Probably really late with this but saw this in another thread, so good.

tumblr_nxsa98hmUx1rc02m0o1_1280.png

tumblr_nxsa98hmUx1rc02m0o3_1280.png

tumblr_nxsa98hmUx1rc02m0o4_1280.png

tumblr_nxsa98hmUx1rc02m0o5_1280.png

tumblr_nxsa98hmUx1rc02m0o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nxsa98hmUx1rc02m0o7_1280.png

Exodust

Banned
That's obviously a different situation. It's all speculation, but we knew that Wii couldn't handle MGS4. We don't know what the NX can handle.

That has nothing to do with it. Handling this or that doesn't matter. A mainline FF game probably won't be showing up on the NX, as they haven't been on Nintendo consoles since the 20th century ended. I don't see why including a third party character in a fighting game will change that.

Jaeger

That has nothing to do with it. Handling this or that doesn't matter. A mainline FF game probably won't be showing up on the NX, as they haven't been on Nintendo consoles since the 20th century ended. I don't see why including a third party character in a fighting game will change that.

I don't know, man. You don't seem to really be aware of how big this actually is. This just isn't a "...fighting game". This is Smash Bros., and Cloud out of all characters being in this is a big deal. I'm personally not saying this is a sign of some future game release, but obviously Nintendo x Square are in a different space now than they were in prior time.

R0ckman

I wonder if people would have went crazy for Chrono as well. I think its a slightly different audience that character would appeal to but I'd think its still a very loved classic among RPG fans. I think the difference being that with FF7 they milked the hell out of that game's characters and left the Chrono Trigger series to rot after giving it a lackluster sequel.

I remember being at a big yearly con in Chicago and my wife was in some kind of stage contest, only one who mentioned Chrono Trigger in the game show question and the crowd went insane including the host, just for her mentioning it.

I think that game is perfect and has aged perfectly so there is no need for a remake, so an inclusion in Smash would have been a nice homage for a beloved character sealed in time as a great gaming relic. He would also have a little more room to have Sakurai breathe some personality into him, sort of what he did with Mega Man. With Cloud he's pretty much locked into that characters personality and presentation.

As a creative person, personally I would just not find Cloud an interesting pick to actually develop. As a person making DLC to put food on me and my teams' tables, Cloud is the obvious choice though haha.

Playing as him and playing on that stage though, man that's a totally different ball game and I can't wait to hear thise tracks!

Platy

What if the Smash Direct starts with Simon Belmont .... and then show the rests of characters like L Tetrimino, Wolf and Shovel Knight ... and ends with a surprise announcement ...

screen fades to black .... we see Zero Suit Samus (or peach) .... we see Pit .... We see Duck hunt in a pallete swap ... we see Megaman ...we see Simon Belmont ... and them ...

tt4glYL.jpg

Everyone knows this will be the first non gaming character!

Ex3Y0nq.png

Miyamoto even produced one Hamtaro game !

Exodust

Banned
I don't know, man. You don't seem to really be aware of how big this actually is. This just isn't a "...fighting game". This is Smash Bros., and Cloud out of all characters being in this is a big deal. I'm personally not saying this is a sign of some future game release, but obviously Nintendo x Square are in a different space now than they were in prior time.

I know what Smash Bros. is though and I know Cloud in Smash is a big surprise. What I am saying is your looking far too deep into it. His inclusion is like Megaman and Pacman's. Hell, Sonic's too. All it will amount to is the biggest character from a third party company being there. It has no bearing on any future games. thinking this means you'll see FF7R on a hardware we know virtually nothing about is superman leaping to conclusions.

Jaeger

I know what Smash Bros. is though and I know Cloud in Smash is a big surprise. What I am saying is your looking far too deep into it. His inclusion is like Megaman and Pacman's. Hell, Sonic's too. All it will amount to is the biggest character from a third party company being there. It has no bearing on any future games. thinking this means you'll see FF7R on a hardware we know virtually nothing about is superman leaping to conclusions.

Reread what you quoted from me. I'm pretty far from any conclusion jumping.

What if the Smash Direct starts with Simon Belmont .... and then show the rests of characters like L Tetrimino, Wolf and Shovel Knight ... and ends with a surprise announcement ...

screen fades to black .... we see Zero Suit Samus (or peach) .... we see Pit .... We see Duck hunt in a pallete swap ... we see Megaman ...we see Simon Belmont ... and them ...

tt4glYL.jpg

I want to see Simon Belmont ONLY to complete the Captain N cast. Still have never played a CV game oddly enough.

MisterHero

It was in the Direct. Square wants you to buy Final Fantasy Explorers aka a future game.

I'm gonna buy it and buy Cloud and buy his Amiibo too!

LMAO

ika

That doesn't make any sense. You can play main FF games now in Android/iOS and 3DS. Even FFVII was released for mobile this year. The PC version is getting a re-release soon for PS4 and you have a Steam version. The Remake is also going multi-platform (they just didn't say where else is going, something suspicious nonetheless). You can play main FF games in Xbox 360 and soon in Xbox One. Square-Enix/Nintendo relationship is getting better every year and they're both very concerned about japanese market. S-E is the first confirmed developer for NX (yeah we know the pantomime of backpedaling after the DQ conference), something that didn't happen since 1995. The old S-E management is retired and also old Nintendo executives (like Yamauchi) so that old grudge is likely over and forgotten. And now we have this DLC that nobody saw coming.

The fact that a Nintendo home console didn't get a main FF since SNES days doesn't mean that they won't get one ever again. Because now even android phones are getting those. Wii U is maybe a lost cause to them so they won't put anything there (PC port of FFVII could be a good eShop release), but all things considered it's probable NX will get the goods, if Nintendo doesn't make any big mistake in the development process.

Foolworm

My point was that Cloud in Smash doesn't "mean" FFVIIR is coming to NX. If it does come to NX, this isn't a sign of it.

It's interesting, because if you remove the title card and credits, the FF7 remake segues in perfectly into the Smash trailer. It's almost seems deliberate, and it would be a very Sakurai-esque way of hinting at it.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm gonna assume Cloud will also have a 3DS stage, considering his popularity.

What would you expect? I'm guessing Midgar is probably a no.

It will be Midgar Lite. He's sold in package with stage. I have no base to speculate what will they exactly change about it, but DLC is called "Cloud + Midgar Stage".

Illucio

Banned
*Begins wishlist for next Smash*
Jibanyan
Inklings
Monster Hunter
Ridley
Bayonetta
Excitebike Racer
Steve from Minecraft
Bomberman
Ice Climbers Return
K Rool
Banjo Kazooie
Ashley

Hollycat

There's something that seems inherently wrong about Cloud in Smash.
I can't think of another character who screams PS1 more.

I do love the part where he steals the motorcycle.

Son Of D

Crash Bandicoot? He was arguably the PS1 mascot.

Midgar, but probably just with Bahamut summon since that seems the least demanding one. Or it could be like Gaur Plains and have no hazards at all.

It'd be strange of them to sell Midgar without the hazards to you considering it's otherwise just a reskin of Battlefield. There will be some hazards in the 3DS version but they'll likely be considerably toned down visually. The background will also likely have a lot less depth to it--Shinra HQ in the back in particular will likely be a flat picture.

MisterHero

Crash Bandicoot? He was arguably the PS1 mascot.
Crash stopped ranting and raving outside of NoA HQ when he landed a job

Platy said:

Captain N was holding the Zapper in the Duck Hunt trailer

believe

Beth Cyra

Maybe before Chain, but that made it so Cloud was the closest thing to a playable FF character in KH.

After that and all the other stuff im use to Cloud appearing on Nintendo's platforms

I love Cloud because on a meta level, having him in the game is the closest we'll get to Nintendo VS Playstation. Throw in Sonic and the Akira/Jacky Mii costumes and it's Nintendo VS Playstation VS Sega. It's beautiful.

According to the last investor's meeting, Smash 3DS sold more but Smash Wii U does better with DLC.

I imagine at this point making sure the 3DS version of DLC works as well is a lower priority.

Top Bottom