• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud announced for Smash Bros

JoBo4

Neo Member
My point was that Cloud in Smash doesn't "mean" FFVIIR is coming to NX. If it does come to NX, this isn't a sign of it.

why not? it could very well be a sign. Pit was in brawl before Uprising came to the 3DS. Roy was in melee before his game came out.

Especially seeing how ff7 hasn't been on a nintendo console. i wouldnt be surprised at all

ffdgh

why not? it could very well be a sign. Pit was in brawl before Uprising came to the 3DS. Roy was in melee before his game came out.

Especially seeing how ff7 hasn't been on a nintendo console. i wouldnt be surprised at all

It's best not to read too much into it. It may lead to disappointment.

I believe it will be going to NX. If not, then why wouldn't they choose a different square Enix rep, one that has more of a connection to Nintendo and that fans have been asking for like like Geno/mallow, Chrono/magus/frog, Magiteck armor/terra/anyone else from ff6, the list goes on..

For them to choose someone from a game that has never been on a Nintendo system, I think they are trying to familiarize some of the newer Nintendo fans with cloud so when the remake comes out they can say "I loved that guy in smash, I want to play his game!"

Edit: especially since cloud is basically a spiritual mascot for PlayStation since FF7 was an exclusive.

Ryce

If not, then why wouldn't they choose a different square Enix rep, one that has more of a connection to Nintendo and that fans have been asking for like like Geno/mallow, Chrono/magus/frog, Magiteck armor/terra/anyone else from ff6, the list goes on..
Because none of those characters you listed are anywhere near as recognizable as Cloud. Final Fantasy is Square Enix's flagship series, and Cloud is Final Fantasy's most popular character.

Azure J

Because none of those characters you listed are anywhere near as recognizable as Cloud. Final Fantasy is Square Enix's flagship series, and Cloud is Final Fantasy's most popular character.

I'm quite honestly wondering why this is so hard to understand for a bunch of folks. This is not a statement of intent (re: FFVIIR chances on Nintendo platforms in the future), "righting an old wrong" (re: ye old Squaresoft taking FF(7) to Playstation) or Nintendo "stealin' our games again" (re: Cloud showing up here despite missing other opportunities elsewhere). This is literally Nintendo going "hey we have a crossover of the gods going on right now, what's another big target we haven't hit up yet", realizing that Square Enix is a hop, skip and a jump away and taking the most immediately "Final Fantasy" thing they could out for a spin.

Kenai

Finally got around the watching the official trailer. I loved all the visual gags.

For FF7r coming to NX, I definitely think there's reason to hope, especially if it's coming to PC as well (and it probably is).

Nintendo's consoles have been stuck in secondary/surrogate console limbo for so long in large part because they haven't been getting the third party multiplats. Forget exclusives (they have those), they haven't been getting ports when the rest have. CoD, Elder Scrolls/Fallout, insert sports/fighting/racing multiplat here, that's imo been their real weakness, and if they could turn that around and get a fair share of multiplats to go along with their first parties and current exclusives? Voila, they are suddenly playing hardball again on their console *and* handheld front.

Getting one of the biggest and most anticipated multiplats coming out of Japan would be a no brainer to show they mean business. It's not a guarantee, but you'd be pretty silly right now to think that it's unlikely, especially considering how many of you are so sure Nintendo's gonna port Smash to the NX (and I think they will too). If they weren't interested, why wouldn't they have someone like DQ Slime, Chocobo, Moogle ect? Cause they probably want FF7r on the NX~

JoBo4

Neo Member
You know that it could have been a Star Fox game right? Sakurai decided to go with Kid Icarus because this allowed him to be more creative.

Yeah...but he said he didn't choose it, so i'm not sure how that has any affect on how pit's inclusion in brawl. If anything the star fox consideration was made in the idea stage

That doesn't make sense.
My point is explained by ffdgh below. Basically, I see Cloud as a character Sakurai maybe wanted for whatever reason whether because he's a fan or because there are lots of fans of Cloud or because it would just be cool, but not because they know FFVIIR is coming to NX and want to promote it (if it even is coming to NX).

This is my point:
It's best not to read too much into it. It may lead to disappointment.

Ōkami

12238190_498036063703412_3667613502738479514_o.jpg

12247805_498036053703413_2500766526116367023_o.jpg

12244588_498036057036746_8779703156903857250_o.jpg

12237954_498036050370080_1187584717787304462_o.jpg

CorvoSol

Just like how Metal Gear Solid 4 came out for the Nintendo Wii.

Zyrox

Y'know...due to this trailer and me being fucking HYPED, I just started a playthrough of FFVII. Dat Sakurai magic at work. My first time playing this. Hope to get it done before Cloud comes out.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Not really. It was released last week. Many people overlooked it. I even mentioned that we are going to get materia in order to summon the summons. Here is old post. The pictures' source is NintendoEverything.

GArfScX.jpg

I really love the concept behind Midgar stage where we would fight over Summon Materia in order to summon the summons. Yeah, it is going to be a lot of fun with friends.

Guess that cements the summons as a materia related stage mechanic. Called it!

Yeah, It's going to be fun to battle it out for just a materia so we could summon our favorite summons (or not)

Snakeyes

Said this before and I'll say it again; y'all who are wishing for Goku aren't thinking big enough.

Jump Stars Vs. Smash Bros. Third party characters from non-Nintendo IPs and non-Jump series.

Now that would be dope as fuck.

Riki

Said this before and I'll say it again; y'all who are wishing for Goku aren't thinking big enough.

Jump Stars Vs. Smash Bros. Third party characters from non-Nintendo IPs and non-Jump series.

Vs Capcom
& Knuckles

Staring Dante from Devil May Cry

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

I would only play as luffy

and it would be glorious

You know, if we really did get a non-video game character in Smash, I'd rather have it be this guy right here:

latest

Why? Because Popeye actually holds a lot of significance to Nintendo's history. From my understanding the original Donkey Kong game was going to be about Popeye but Nintendo couldn't get the license at the time. Basically, Popeye inspired Mario, Bluto inspired DK and Olive Oyl inspired Pauline.

『Inaba Resident』;185861978 said:
Goku would be legit hype as fuck.
EVERYBODY would be freaking out.

I still wish Sakurai would troll those wishes by putting in a Dragon Quest character. Maybe someone like Erdrick/Loto as a counterpart to Cloud. His alts could be other DQ main heroes. Either way we'd get newcomer art by Toriyama which would be crazy awesome.

You know, if we really did get a non-video game character in Smash, I'd rather have it be this guy right here:

latest

Why? Because Popeye actually holds a lot of significance to Nintendo's history. From my understanding the original Donkey Kong game was going to be about Popeye but Nintendo couldn't get the license at the time. Basically, Popeye inspired Mario, Bluto inspired DK and Olive Oyl inspired Pauline.

Yeah, he really should be the first, if any, non gaming character.

Cerium

I still wish Sakurai would troll those wishes by putting in a Dragon Quest character. Maybe someone like Erdrick/Loto as a counterpart to Cloud. His alts could be other DQ main heroes. Either way we'd get newcomer art by Toriyama which would be crazy awesome.

I'm still waiting for newcomer art by Nomura.

My point was that Cloud in Smash doesn't "mean" FFVIIR is coming to NX. If it does come to NX, this isn't a sign of it.
I disagree.

I just can't figure out why some of you don't want FFVIIr to be on NX so badly, tbh.

This is my reasoning too.

Not so much Roy*, but definitely Marth (in addition to a reintroduction of Pit). Smash was used as a vehicle to re/introduce these characters and get gamers interested in the coming releases of games in their respective series'. I think Cloud will serve the same purpose

Roy never appeared in a Fire Emblem release in the West. He dad (Eliwood) did in the first FE released in the West, Rekka no Ken.

MisterHero

Yeah, he really should be the first, if any, non gaming character.
Popeye and Mickey have been in games made by Nintendo.

Granted IIRC Mickey only had a Game&Watch game. besides the fact that Disney is one of Nintendo's oldest Western collaborators

In any case they were both mentioned in Brawl's Chronicle I believe. Now make way for Ken Griffey Jr.!

Platy

latest

Popeye and Mickey have been in games made by Nintendo.

Granted IIRC Mickey only had a Game&Watch game. besides the fact that Disney is one of Nintendo's oldest Western collaborators

In any case they were both mentioned in Brawl's Chronicle I believe. Now make way for Ken Griffey Jr.!

Like I said before, Popeye and Mickey are the only non gaming characters that I support.

But seriously. TETRIS PLAYABLE CHARACTER !

Only Sakurai can do this.

MisterHero

TRON totally got in already (as a Mii costume, which is amazing in itself)

but I want Bruce Boxleitner TRON

Though more western characters would be nice. My really wild picks now are characters like Liu Kang and Earthworm Jim

Fandangox

I disagree.

I just can't figure out why some of you don't want FFVIIr to be on NX so badly, tbh.

Its not about not wanting, its just that this isn't really indicative of the game coming to the NX. Could the game appear in NX? Maybe, who knows, who knows what year the game will be releasing in and what the state of the NX will be by then, I hardly doubt that decision will have anything to do with licensing a character as DLC for Smash.

Raitaro

latest

I for one would certainly appreciate this choice. Popeye would make sense indeed, going by history alone.

(After Simon Belmont though, i.e. the last missing NES iconic veteran.)

Edit:
Like I said before, Popeye and Mickey are the only non gaming characters that I support.

But seriously. TETRIS PLAYABLE CHARACTER !

Only Sakurai can do this.

Ok, now I want a character made up out of Tetrominos as well. Why not make it a bunch of morphing blocks (Vector Man style), wearing a Russian fur hat, who uses a Space Shuttle for his Final Smash? Oh, and why not include a stage set on a Tetris playing field as well, where Tetrominos fall from the sky and the ground keeps changing accordingly (until a line is formed and they disappear again), and where Saint Basil's Cathedral stands in the background?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So uh, is there a way to watch finished Nico Douga streams? I want to see the Japanese reactions scrolling through the screen.

Phoenixus

Cloud vs Ichigo would be fucking amazing.
For me anyway. :p

Ivan 3414

Just like how Metal Gear Solid 4 came out for the Nintendo Wii.

That's obviously a different situation. It's all speculation, but we knew that Wii couldn't handle MGS4. We don't know what the NX can handle.

This is my reasoning too.

Not so much Roy*, but definitely Marth (in addition to a reintroduction of Pit). Smash was used as a vehicle to re/introduce these characters and get gamers interested in the coming releases of games in their respective series'. I think Cloud will serve the same purpose

Roy never appeared in a Fire Emblem release in the West. He dad (Eliwood) did in the first FE released in the West, Rekka no Ken.

I get your overall point, but the FE characters in Melee were used moreso to introduce the series to Western audiences rather than the specific characters. Marth didn't appear in a localized FE until its fifth international release, IIRC. Roy
has a cameo at the end of Rekka no Ken. Kind of a moot point considering he was hardly a selling point for the game but I guess I just wanted to point it out.

Top Bottom