• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Black Ops III PC may have performance issues/bugs - Up: Patch now available

Durante

It's kind of surreal that when PC ports should seemingly be better than ever that we're getting some of the worst since the 90s ended. And when the hardware is closest to a PC too.
I've seen this sentiment expressed a few times, and I don't think it's really supported by evidence. Yes, AK was terrible, but so was e.g. SR2. There's always that one terrible PC port among 100s which are decent to great.

For this one, we might just be looking at sporadic issues that are resolved relatively quickly:
A lot of people are reporting decent performance on mid range and enthusiast level hardware, after turning a few settings off max. I guess we'll get more reports soon.
Played it for about 2 hours just fine. Was seeing about 120FPS at 1920x1080 with a GTX970.
etc.

This .ini change from reddit might fix the issue people are having.
As someone who works in parallelization, I find it insane, frankly, that a game like this ships with a fixed worker thread count on PC, rather than deriving it from the HW configuration.

Lingitiz

This thread will come up when there's another "Pre-order or not" or "PC version or Console version" thread.

Hope they fix it soon. Is this why GB gave it a low score, because it was unplayable? Lol

Maybe just read the review.

MiguelItUp

I'm on a 970 and I'm getting strange and annoying stuttering issues. When it's not stuttering it's butter. Guess I'll play with the settings until they buff this out.

Amazing. After all the publicity around Arkham Knight's PC port you'd think publishers would be bending every effort to avoid repeating that mistake.

Falk

that puzzling face
Amazing. After all the publicity around Arkham Knight's PC port you'd think publishers would be bending every effort to avoid repeating that mistake.

The port doesn't seem anywhere close to being as fundamentally broken as AK PC.

TheRed

All I did was the ini tweak suggested and set everything to high except the volumetric light and it's been running at a pretty smooth 60 fps for me on my 970. Oh and I'm owning with the steam controller up against KB/M, top score in last 3 matches. Shit is awesome. I even shared my bindings

wbEMX

Having no issues at all in multiplayer. 60fps without any hitches. Everything set on High on 1080p. Textures are not on Extra quality. Probably would hit over 100fps, but I set it to 60fps maximum. Played about 8 hours since release.

i7 4790K
GTX 970 STRIX
8 GB 1333MHz RAM

Vuze

No surprise here, the beta already ran like shit on my system even with low settings (4570/970). Constant stuttering during gameplay. Hope they patch this, seems like they earned quite a bit of goodwill from PC gamers when they announced the mod tools and server tools. So stupid not to release a good version for the platform at launch then.

LQX

I bet the very slow performance many are getting in the main menu is because the game defaults to a higher resolution than normal. Mine was like 3X the default resolution it should be.

Hylian7

Is QA a myth or something? Do they not even test these things before shoving them out the door?

A very specific weird bug they may not have encountered is one thing, but the menu running at fucking 1FPS....how the hell...

SliChillax

What kind of settings?
1440p everything maxed except AA which is set to Filmic 1x

What kind of performance are you getting?
I'm not using fraps but even with Gsync during large gun fights it feels choppy.

Btw guys if you have DSR enabled, the game automatically switches to the highest resolution available. It's why the menus are so laggy in the first place so set it to the native resolution.

Is QA a myth or something? Do they not even test these things before shoving them out the door?

A very specific weird bug they may not have encountered is one thing, but the menu running at fucking 1FPS....how the hell...

I have had flawless performance with the time I've spent with the game.

Buburibon

1440p everything maxed except AA which is set to Filmic 1x.

I can confirm poor performance at 1440p maxed, but running 1080p maxed is cake. For 1440p/60fps I had to lower shadow resolution and volumetric lighting to medium. At 1440p VRAM usage breaks the 8GB mark, though, so that might be part of the problem.

Titan X
32GB

I can confirm poor performance at 1440p maxed, but running 1080p maxed is cake. For 1440p/60fps I had to lower shadow resolution and volumetric lighting to medium. At 1440p VRAM usage breaks the 8GB mark, though, so that might be part of the problem.

Titan X
32GB

I think the performance drops when using the "Extra" setting for textures and shadows dropped those to high and it gave me much more consistent frames.

What a shame, I almost bought the game because of things like mapping and modding tools. Thankfully I waited for the performance reviews, if they fix most of them I'll buy it.

Renekton

Anyone with AMD cards having problems? It seems all GTX issues.

Sorry for repeat, I'm thinking of buying the game.

Man, review embargoes are such great things huh. Why not trick your customers into buying broken shit. That will never backfire, customers have memories like goldfish I am sure.

I bought the PS4 version(haven't picked it up yet though) but shit like this just pisses me off.

FyreWulff

Did somebody forget to cap the rendering framerate in the menus?

Because this is a thing that can happen when your game attempts to run at 3000fps because it's in a menu.

Titan X
32GB

That's something else.

Freiya

Game ran at 60 fps on max with FXAA at 1440p on 290x crossfire setup with a i7 4770k @ 4.2 ghz. Granted I only played the campaign for about 15 minutes but I didn't really notice any problems besides the fps drop at the start of the game.

d00d3n

When I tried to start the campaign I got this error message (and a crash):
codblops3pagefileaouop.png
Presumably, my 16gb ram without a pagefile was not enough to run the game ... So yeah, the game has some issues.

GHG

So fucking glad I've learnt not to fall for GMG's pre order sales anymore after batman.

Think I'll get this on the PS4.

Just to be clear I was only having the CPU issue at 3840x2160 resolution. Not sure what is causing it. But the game in 1080p is working fine on my 970. I just booted it up tonight to check out all the available modes etc. Haven't gotten a chance to dig into the game yet so I'll reserve performance judgment until then.

I have a 970 and an I5 4670k as quoted in the OP. I know 4k probably wouldn't of worked too well. But I wanted to see how it performed if I locked it at 60fps.

hesido

If this goes on like this, PC and Console user base will be separated more than ever, playing entirely different games - as Console targeted games have taken a dive on the PC (games with capped frame rates, games that doesn't make use of multiple resolution settings and games that are outright unplayable), PC users may stop buying those games and rightfully so.

RulkezX

My impressions from the performance thread

Performance wise I'm getting 60fps @1080p with everything on high apart from transparency and lighting , smaa 2x.

Game is pretty smooth apart from a weird low fps thing for the first 10 seconds of each round.

Edit 2500k @4.4Ghz / 7970GE 3GB / 8GB Ram

The low fps thing was largely fixed with the ini tweak.

slapnuts

Well screw it, im going to bed, i sure hope they fix this these issues by morning or early friday. This is what i get for taking a paid vacation day for a F'n video game lol.

>:)

Anyone with AMD cards having problems? It seems all GTX issues.

Sorry for repeat, I'm thinking of buying the game.

Haven't seen much on the AMD front either, but I can confirm the R9 390 (with latest beta drivers) runs this games like a champ @ 1080p

prudislav

Wow they locked botmatch and Zombies behind online again :-D Even know there is now similar zombie campaign like SP with own narartive :-D
pathetic

Top Bottom