• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Black Ops III PC may have performance issues/bugs - Up: Patch now available

Tovarisc

I truly cannot understand how the ports are seemingly getting worse considering what the new gen consoles are...

Well you could say that devs optimise game for current-gen and then throw PC HW at it until it runs. If you were cynical about this, that is.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Thankfully no issues for me so far at 1080p on a GTX 970 and i5 2500k. Played single player and zombies and it seemed ok to me. Here's hoping it continues!

Kezen

Banned
[Overreaction Intensifies]

Just don't use the EXTRA settings & make sure the resolution isn't set to 4K if you have DSR enabled and it should run fine on most rigs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Also install the newest drivers.

If that is too complicated for some then maybe they should buy one of these console-thingys.

Careful there. Don't downplay people's impressions and don't assume they're too stupid to set their game correctly.

It's okay if you are having a great experience but you don't need to act like everybody else is not running into genuine issues.
I mean this is PC gaming, there is no such a thing as a smooth ride for 100.000% of PC gamers regardless of their hardware.

Like, Batman Arkham Knight runs well for me but clearly I'm in the minority and there is no hyperbole in calling it broken for the majority of players.

On a 4790k, gtx 760, 8gb ram, the game performed really well for me last night, though I only play multiplayer. I have all settings maxed out too.

CryptiK

[Overreaction Intensifies]

Just don't use the EXTRA settings & make sure the resolution isn't set to 4K if you have DSR enabled and it should run fine on most rigs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Also install the newest drivers.

If that is too complicated for some then maybe they should buy one of these console-thingys.
The game is broken to extent. Frame rate tied to Sensitivity. I run a GTX Titan I can barely get 120 on all low. The game is poorly optimised there is absolutely no overreaction here.

Kezen

Banned
On a 4790k, gtx 760, 8gb ram, the game performed really well for me last night, though I only play multiplayer. I have all settings maxed out too.

Could you be a tad more specific ? Because from the reports we have a 760 should really do anywhere near 60fps with max settings.

Artistic decision to go for the claymation feel? In that case cant really blame them, I loved those claymation shows as children.

After all you did see the game case before you took it of the shop shelf right?

EPUBE.jpg

PC Master Race gets its COD: Wallace and Grommit version exclusive!

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I don't know played last night on 290x w crossfire and played great all maxed out at 60 fps. No glitches for me...

Resolution also at 2560x1600... people are being overdramatic?

Justinh

I bet the very slow performance many are getting in the main menu is because the game defaults to a higher resolution than normal. Mine was like 3X the default resolution it should be.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe something's screwy with the resolution scaling slider?

Like, something with someone's system is causing it to think it needs to up the resolution scaling...

Freiya

Careful there. Don't downplay people's impressions and don't assume they're too stupid to set their game correctly.

It's okay if you are having a great experience but you don't need to act like everybody else is not running into genuine issues.
I mean this is PC gaming, there is no such a thing as a smooth ride for 100.000% of PC gamers regardless of their hardware.

Like, Batman Arkham Knight runs well for me but clearly I'm in the minority and there is no hyperbole in calling it broken for the majority of players.
Good thing this is nothing like the batman situation and the game is no where near that broken.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe something's screwy with the resolution scaling slider?

Like, something with someone's system is causing it to think it needs to up the resolution scaling...

You'd think people would go to the options menu and check stuff out.

Kezen

Banned
Good thing this is nothing like the batman situation and the game is no where near that broken.
Some would disagree. I've yet to try out the game, still installing.
I'll make a detailed report after 30 minutes of benchmarking with frametimes.

You'd think people would go to the options menu and check stuff out.
While it is true that some PC gamers don't understand or bother with graphics options (and proceed to blame the developpers) I don't think you are likely to find too many of those here.
It's safe to assume the PC gamers posting here have tried to make the game run as well as their PC can handle.

Evidently not everything is right with this PC version, I trust Treyarch to address those issues.

alarre1

Neo Member
I only had a chance to play 1 game of MP and didn't have any stuttering, lag or freezing issues. I did notice that my VRAM was maxing out (max settings, 1440p) at 6100 MB in afterburner, but once again didn't notice any stuttering. Look forward to playing some more after work!

4770k @ 4.3 Ghz
980Ti
16 GB RAM
1440p 144 hz Acer gsync

Ianan

This literally would have been the first CoD I've bought and played since CoD2. Was interested due to the Mod and Map Editor support, but looks like another lost sale now lol.

Kezen

Banned
Wait should or should not? It seemed like it was 60 fps to me with no noticeable dips. 1080p res.

Sorry, I meant "should not". But It's great that the game runs well on your system.
I'm just surprised, I don't see how it's possible such a GPU can "max" this game out at 60fps.

Not that it should matter to you anyway.

LQX

I think the cause is enabling DSR in the Nvidia control panel. I unchecked the highest resolutions but left some on and the game then began defaulting to the highest resolution I left check off.

Grief.exe

they really need to start adding a "no profanity" option to this series, like sunset overdrive did

At the end of the day you are still brutally murdering humans with all kinds of weapons. A profanity filter would just be ironic at that point considering the mature content.

Though to be honest, the content, writing, marketing, and simple mechanics have always catered to a significantly younger audience than the rating would imply.

Nokterian

Such a shame to hear that there are performance issues...Blops 1 had it also it's issues and yet Blops 2 runs like a dream from day one and yet here we are back again. Hopefully they will fix it soon because my overall experience with treyarch pc dev team is pretty good.

I will keep playing on PS4 for now.

Is there just something wrong with the COD engine? It's a fancy modified Quake 3 engine, but it constantly has performance problems on PC.

they really need to start adding a "no profanity" option to this series, like sunset overdrive did

I don't see how that would actually solve anything. Even if there's no blood, gore, or cursing, you're still going through the violent action of shooting and killing dudes anyway. Unless it's done as some ironic joke

Vitor711

Lol? Aw runs amazing on my system.

I've installed AW on two completely different systems and both times there was huge stutter that no-one else seemed to complain about. I'm done buying COD on PC as every title has had issues for me.

Glad I didn't pre-order this one, although I came close with those $40 offers.

Freiya

Some would disagree. I've yet to try out the game, still installing.
I'll make a detailed report after 30 minutes of benchmarking with frametimes.

While it is true that some PC gamers don't understand or bother with graphics options (and proceed to blame the developpers) I don't think you are likely to find too many of those here.
It's safe to assume the PC gamers posting here have tried to make the game run as well as their PC can handle.

Evidently not everything is right with this PC version, I trust Treyarch to address those issues.
You're really giving people here way to much credit lol.

Dunkley

This literally would have been the first CoD I've bought and played since CoD2. Was interested due to the Mod and Map Editor support, but looks like another lost sale now lol.

Considering those only drop by March 2016 you wouldn't have had that in the game right now anyway.

Kezen

Banned
You're really giving people here way to much credit lol.

I think you are being perhaps too expeditious. Just because it runs well for you does not mean it can for anybody else.

The appropriate response should not be "it's obviously something on your end, go figure it out" but rather trying to understand why the game behaves in such a way on some systems.

Interfectum

"I saw this part in the trailers. I'm going to blow this guy's brains out the back of his skull but right before he dies he says a swear word. So close cover your ears son and unplug them when you see the brains hit the floor."

GRaider81

Working fine for me after changing the forced DSR.

getting flawless 60fps at 1080p, haven't tried 1440 yet. Maxed out.

4690k,
980ti
16gb
Win 10

if that helps anyone

Freiya

I think you are being perhaps too expeditious. Just because it runs well for you does not mean it can for anybody else.

The appropriate response should not be "it's obviously something on your end, go figure it out" but rather trying to understand why the game behaves in such a way on some systems.
I'm pretty sure I never responded like that. It's very obvious that the problem is on a much smaller scale than batman for example. Its also obvious that a lot of people are posting without reading the thread and checking the res.

VICI0US

Lol PC.

Console+pop in Blu or digital= smooth sailing..all day every day.

i know he was banned, but this post is especially funny considering matchmaking is broken on PS4 right now. my wife's been trying to play zombies all night/day and has only gotten into ONE match. lobby search that times out, or she gets put into a lobby with 15+ people which loads into the game and then loses connection to host

Didn't mean to bail on the thread - I fell asleep.

I did try that ini fix and while I didn't experience the menu problem again (although I only played for another 15 minutes this morning) I did experience that lockup in gameplay again. It's the same symptom as the menu glitch, 2 seconds per frame as Jeff Gerstmann put it. It's not entirely frozen because if you wait long enough you will see its still running very slowly (the frame does update after a minute or so).

I also want to reiterate that I'm not comparing this to Arkham Knight in terms of broken level - as I haven't played that on PC and from what I've heard this isn't nearly as bad. As some others have said - when it works, it's actually decent. But it seems obvious to me (especially after that Guru3d article) that's there's problems here. If it's running great for you that's good, but there's also a lot of people who are seeing very poor performance.

And no, refunds aren't always an option unless you bought it on Steam.

Freiya

That's America in a nutshell.

I was thinking the same exact thing haha.

Didn't mean to bail on the thread - I fell asleep.

I did try that ini fix and while I didn't experience the menu problem again (although I only played for another 15 minutes this morning) I did experience that lockup in gameplay again. It's the same symptom as the menu glitch, 2 seconds per frame as Jeff Gerstmann put it. It's not entirely frozen because if you wait long enough you will see its still running very slowly (the frame does update after a minute or so).

I also want to reiterate that I'm not comparing this to Arkham Knight in terms of broken level - as I haven't played that on PC and from what I've heard this isn't nearly as bad. As some others have said - when it works, it's actually decent. But it seems obvious to me (especially after that Guru3d article) that's there's problems here. If it's running great for you that's good, but there's also a lot of people who are seeing very poor performance.

And no, refunds aren't always an option unless you bought it on Steam.

This is one of the reasons why I bought it on steam to try it out for 30 minutes and then I refunded it. At that point I easily would have been able to buy the game again from cdkeys for cheaper. I got my steam refund within 2 hours of putting it in.

I had some of those issues and now it runs fine after changing the worker thread setting. Game is running pretty much maxed short of one setting. I had to apply that same fix to the other gaming pcs in the house.

The Devs are aware and I am sure a patch is coming out. I don't see how they released it and didn't catch the i5 cpu issue. They must test everything on i7s :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of glad this was sold out yesterday at GMG so I couldn't buy it!

I've got a 970 and 16GB of system RAM, so I should be good on that front, but my processor is also an i5 2500k, and it sounds like that is causing the 1~2 fps problem for a lot of people.

Top Bottom