• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty starts a new Patreon/YouTube channel about History and Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Colin's Last Stand"

*rolls eyes hard*

Anyways i'm open to checking out the first episode.

What kind of education or experience does he have in history and politics? If the answer is none, then what makes this endeavor any different than some yahoo spewing crao on youtibe?

he should run for president

OT is a lot less forgiving to the views Colin and those that support him share. It's going to be an uphill battle for anyone that wants to point fingers people that criticize Colin.

Like it is wildly believe that being a toxic person on the internet can easily be a profitable endeavor.

As it should be.

Fuck the people giving money to this scumbag, but what can you do, it's pretty obvious that is where he is going to go with things now that he is free from the Kinda Funny ball and chain.

See his tweets mocking Black Lives Matter protesting. Or his tweets endorsing Jeff Sessions for Attorney General.

That is diet racism at it's most obvious.

at best his views on BLM/Colin Kaepernick, or the Jeff Sessions thing, go to show that he doesn't seem to think racism is much of an issue, otherwise how does being a vile, abhorrent racist like Sessions not figure into whether or not he is qualified for the title of Attorney General? "He might be racist but he's still totally qualified!". I don't think Colin is racist. I think he's ignorant and lacking in perspective and empathy, and has a very narrow and sheltered world view.

Lothars

As it should be.

Fuck the people giving money to this scumbag, but what can you do, it's pretty obvious that is where he is going to go with things now that he is free from the Kinda Funny ball and chain.
I'll be interested to see how bad his videos are and how quick he loses support.

klonere

Banned
Smart man, understands that this is a very lucrative niche with a built in rabid fanbase. I don't see him holding this level of funding over the long run but he won't go hungry, that's for sure. It also lets him go unchallenged as he moves away from a space where his views are fractious at best.

Conservative talk show host is possibly the most American career path possible.

That name is ridiculous, it's not like he's fighting a war here lol. Colin's political views are pretty bad but I like the history side of his knowledge. I might check it out at least, if I decide I'm okay with giving him any support.

Colin's an intelligent and eloquent guy, and I'll definitely check out his first video on this subject matter.

Also, having listened to his podcasts for many, many years I can definitively tell you that he is not sexist or racist in any way, shape or form. Some of his views are certainly right leaning, but that alone does not justify the amount of vitriol Colin has received recently.

I too listened to his podcasts for years and he has said sexist / racist things the whole time, they just got clearly more pronounced when he formed Kinda Funny.

Also, lol @ that name. Lean into that victim thing as hard as you can, dude.

"I MADE A TASTELESS JOKE AND PEOPLE GOT MAD! HOW CAN THE WORLD BE SO CRUEL?!? Anyways, here's why black people should stop complaining about getting shot."

Jacce

Banned
at best his views on BLM/Colin Kaepernick, or the Jeff Sessions thing, go to show that he doesn't seem to think racism is much of an issue, otherwise how does being a vile, abhorrent racist like Sessions not figure into whether or not he is qualified for the title of Attorney General? "He might be racist but he's still totally qualified!". I don't think Colin is racist. I think he's ignorant and lacking in perspective and empathy, and has a very narrow and sheltered world view.
Ignorant/dismissive of racism is no better than being an actual racist I think.

Both support and allow racists policies to harm minorities. One is supporting the policies because they are blatantly racist, the other supports the same racist policies because they deny the importance/existence of racism like Colin.

Both result in non-white males getting screwed by the same policies in the end. That's why I call it diet racism. It is racism without thinking to themselves that they hate all black people. It's more quiet racism by pushing forward racist policies and politicians like Jeff Sessions.

LOL, Dan Savage's Hardcore History would probably be A LOT different then Dan Carlin's if it were real. Fixed in my post.

Agreed, and I didn't even look at the scope of his Pateon. Two videos a week for what he is promising, from a one man operation, seems like he wouldn't be able to get to the level of depth he wants to promise here. I guess we'll see.

Fixed mine too ! I also totally googled Dan Savage history podcast just to be sure, because I would have to at least give that a shot.

And for everyone asking about his qualifications, beyond the bachelors that has been pointed out, I'm pretty sure I remember him mentioning that his favourite type of books are nonfiction about American History, and he seems to think about the topic a lot. I really hope it's more of a historical than political podcast.

I'm just glad his political views/opinions have another degree of separation from my interests.

It has yet to be seen if this venture proves successful for him, so the crowing is premature. I don't use the platform but I'm sure agreeing to support something on Patreon isn't a lifetime contract.

Nestunt

He will have to work a lot to keep people engaged. After all, history and philosophy are hard sells in the long run.

Still, I will definitely follow his work and give him a shot to show me his academic credentials. It will be a lot harder than giving opinions on videogames.

People should be able to support whoever they want so more power to getting coins from his fans (free market). Just a reminder of his character.

Moriarty supports the struggle of Black Americans, he just ridicules Colin Kaepernick for protesting

Moriarty supports women, he just makes sexist jokes on Women's Day

Moriarty supports diversity, he just only invite white men on his show

Moriarty cares about transpeople, he just complains about people protesting against professional harasser and transphobe

Moriarty cares about poor people, he just doesn't support policies that benefit the poor

Moriarty cares about removing safe spaces, he just blocks anyone who legitimately criticize him

Moriarty cares about native Americans, he just complains about them for 10 minutes straight when they write something about cultural appropriation

Moriarty cares about polite discourse, he just calls oppressed people humorless sacks of shit when they voice their displeasure with his humor

For all the things that Colin Moriarty claims he is, and all the defenders, moderates and supporters who claim similarly, I've yet to see something that supports this narrative of being in support of oppressed people. His actions speak louder than whatever things he claim to support.

Vinc

He's leaving San Francisco too according to the FAQ. If he goes somewhere with cheaper rent and builds himself a home studio... hot damn. Also confirms no video game talk.

nynt9

People should be able to support whoever they want so more power to getting coins from his fans (free market). Just a reminder of his character.

Yep. Typical "I'm not a liberal or conservative but I exclusively criticize liberals and never speak up against the heinous shit conservatives do".

My guess is that he will keep digging his feet further and further with his new show over time and his views will just get more and more transparent.

Foggy

Used to think it was kind of sad when pop punk bands came to the realization that all their hard work, sacrifice, and creativity went to connecting with people just starting junior high. This is probably worse.

Nearly $19,000 now. Jumped $3000 in less than two hours. At this rate he's going to be making more on Patreon than all of the Kinda Funny guys combined.

Quonny

I would say I respect the hustle (alt-righters make bank on YouTube), but this series is likely gonna do a lot of harm. Cannot respect.

RoKKeR

Didn't see this thread, will subscribe. My thoughts from the other thread:

I have to say, I appreciate the tone that he is seemingly trying to achieve with this series. It doesn't (at least initially) look to be a platform for grandstanding or heavily opinionated rants, (sup Twitter) but rather an avenue for discussing historical and political topics in an intelligent and insightful way. I was a little wary that the tone would be ultra-combative after the last week or so, but it looks like he is trying to move on from that to focus on the things he's passionate about.

I'm sure he'll still pop off on Twitter, though. Lol

Also, crazy (but perhaps unsurprising) to see him leaving SF. Really cutting lose from his IGN/KF days.

Pastry

Banned
Nearly $19,000 now. Jumped $3000 in less than two hours. At this rate he's going to be making more on Patreon than all of the Kinda Funny guys combined.

Alt-Right is starving for people to justify their viewpoints and as we saw with the shithead Palmer Lucky there are some out there with deep pockets.

The thing is, this is a great platform to call him out on the shit he'll be wrong about. I'm curious to see how this pans out. This is the most natural venture for him to veer to.

Tagg9

See his tweets mocking Black Lives Matter protesting. Or his tweets endorsing Jeff Sessions for Attorney General.

That is diet racism at it's most obvious.

I've no idea what the term diet racism means, but in my mind you are either racist or you're not. I can't find any of his tweets regarding BLM. You're really reaching if you think he endorsed Jeff Sessions because of his racist past.

-Mikey-

Yep. Typical "I'm not a liberal or conservative but I exclusively criticize liberals and never speak up against the heinous shit conservatives do".

My guess is that he will keep digging his feet further and further with his new show over time and his views will just get more and more transparent.

I came to post this.

Especially that this is now his main source of income. Expect him to become even crazier.

I've no idea what the term diet racism means, but in my mind you are either racist or you're not. I can't find any of his tweets regarding BLM. You're really reaching if you think he endorsed Jeff Sessions because of his racist past.
If saying Jeff Sessions is "more than qualified" isn't an endorsement, I don't know what is

You don't get to separate a racist from his racism

JABEE

Colin's (Custer's) Last Stand is a weird title due to it's association with the Battle of Little Big Horn.

The title association is pretty controversial for a history show. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom